ADVERTISEMENT

Dream non-con games

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
I’m so glad that next year the I-8 is going back to it’s old format and will allow the teams to play non-conference games again finally. I despised the format they had for the last decade or so where your non-conference games had to be crossovers from a team in the other division. I felt as though it could lead to a team missing out on playing a quality team. That being said, what are some non-con matchups you would love to see your team play?

I’m going to start with Wilmo against Morris. Reents is a Morris grad and they are traditionally tough. Both teams would benefit from the playoff points earned. Win/win for both squads.

Also Wilmo against Bishop Mac. I have always felt like there has been an animosity toward each other and both teams are solid so nobody loses in that situation.

Rochester vs Maine South or LWE - In my readings various places I see Derek Leonard hailed as the best coach in the state and that if you give him a week to prepare he can beat anyone. Meanwhile, the best in game coaching I've seen has been either Inserra or Zvonar. If the Rockets could pull off a win against either I would join the DL chorus.

East Side vs Phillips - I don't know if I have to say why, seems self explanatory.

Naz vs H-F - about as self explanatory as the previous matchup or you could mix and match any of the 4 and I'd be ok with it.

Oh you said "your team"

'Brook vs tomato can

Naz fenwick, had a chance to play in prep bowl but fenwick AD would not even call back.

1.) Provi vs LW West or LW Central. 2.) Rich Central vs Richards.

Last edited:
Rochester vs Maine South or LWE - In my readings various places I see Derek Leonard hailed as the best coach in the state and that if you give him a week to prepare he can beat anyone. Meanwhile, the best in game coaching I've seen has been either Inserra or Zvonar. If the Rockets could pull off a win against either I would join the DL chorus.
Rochester would get rolled by either of those teams - they would not have the manpower to hang.

But I'd love to see it!

Reactions: Bowie50
Rochester would get rolled by either of those teams - they would not have the manpower to hang.

But I'd love to see it!
But the argument is that the coaching would allow them to compete and possibly win. Plus the way they smoked Phillips a few years back and competes with SHG suggests that they may be able to hang.

What does the CS8 need in order to go back to having non-con games?

@cornerrat

How about Loyola at Naz??
Naz and Fenwick both had forfeit wins in week 1 last season,plenty of time to play each other but both rather take a week off.I asked both schools if they were going to play each other, talked about the big $$$,splitting the gate or whatnot and neither were interested.

1.) Provi vs LW West or LW Central. 2.) Rich Central vs Richards.
I remember in 86 the 2nd round playoff game @ Shepard that was a good one.Richards won 27 to 12.Their field was being repaired so they played at Shepard or maybe it was vandalism I know that happened at Tinley 1 year.Providence for awhile had some good games vs Lincoln Way(I refuse to call them Central) did Providence ever play North,East or West? Reavis vs St Laurence was a dream that faced 2 years of Mother Nature that had major crowds.After Reavis won the 2nd year they did not renew though Laurence wanted to.

But the argument is that the coaching would allow them to compete and possibly win. Plus the way they smoked Phillips a few years back and competes with SHG suggests that they may be able to hang.

What does the CS8 need in order to go back to having non-con games?

@cornerrat
The Phillips Machine was not hitting on all cylinders then - they are now. It is THE DESTINATION of the pool of CPS footballers.
That and Saint Derek does not have the gonads to take on a team outside of his comfort zone.

Perhaps what you think you know you really don’t. Go ahead and delete this post before you’re made to look ignorant.

Naz and Fenwick both had forfeit wins in week 1 last season,plenty of time to play each other but both rather take a week off.I asked both schools if they were going to play each other, talked about the big $$$,splitting the gate or whatnot and neither were interested.

Perhaps what you think you know you really don’t. Go ahead and delete this post before you’re made to look ignorant.
LTHS VS Naz would be great. LT coach would never do it. Already losing kids to Naz.

Would love RB vs Naz. RB's non-conference schedule is horrible.

The Phillips Machine was not hitting on all cylinders then - they are now. It is THE DESTINATION of the pool of CPS footballers.
That and Saint Derek does not have the gonads to take on a team outside of his comfort zone.
I got to see Al Raby the other day they looked pretty good. Simeon and Curie have players. This may be the strongest cast of CPL schools we've seen in some time.

As for Rochester, taking on larger schools may actually help. They get to be the small program taking on the top large ones and still win 4A, it could "attract" even more local talent.

In an earlier post on this thread, I had included Rich Central vs Lemont, but then had to edit because they actually play in Week 2 this season. Both teams annually sit in one of the top 2 positions in their respective weak-ish leagues. Lemont has scheduled Batavia then RC with an automatic cross-over draw with Richards. Rich Central got Hillcrest (security alert for those neighboring community rivals) and Kaneland atop the annual league grudge match with Crete-Monee.

To say you have no idea what you’re talking about is an understatement.

I know what I was told so believe what you wish.I’ll continue to pray for the priest who continue to abuse innocent children

Super. Not sure where you got your information about the forfeit last year. Maybe call him and tell him to stop feeding you bull. Naz called to play fenwick and would have in a heartbeat and Fenwick wanted no part of it. The prep bowl organizers asked naz if they would play fenwick in the prep bowl in 2018. Naz was fully on board. Fenwick AD literally would not return calls or emails. As as CCLer, embarrassing

Reactions: Naz5405
Also Wilmo against Bishop Mac. I have always felt like there has been an animosity toward each other and both teams are solid so nobody loses in that situation.

2015, coming off the state title, the Cats and Irish were destined for a quarterfinal clash most likely at Mac. Second round, the Cats are upset by a pissed off Byron team seeking revenge for being running clocked in the semis in '14, while the Cats are looking ahead for a shot at Mac...

McNamara would be great non-conference game for everyone in the I-8 (okay, maybe not RC or Lisle)...Herscher is their biggest rival, Manteno is a traditional rival, Peotone is a traditional rival, Streator is coached by one of Mac's state championship QBs...But reality is, unless forced they aren't going to play, which may be why it is a dream game...

Wilmington vs. Clifton Central or Momence...these schools have had some playoff wars in the past, even if Central and Momence are 2A now...

You obviously know nothing on that situation

I posted early today to remove the post before you look like a Jackass. Now that you have in full glory, you come back with this statement.

I have zero room in my house for child abusers but to lump everyone that is a priest or catholic into this horrible basket is simply wrong. We need to stop generalizing about populations based on bad acts of individuals or small groups within the generalized population.

I know what I was told so believe what you wish.I’ll continue to pray for the priest who continue to abuse innocent children

Reactions: Gene K.
Super. Not sure where you got your information about the forfeit last year. Maybe call him and tell him to stop feeding you bull. Naz called to play fenwick and would have in a heartbeat and Fenwick wanted no part of it. The prep bowl organizers asked naz if they would play fenwick in the prep bowl in 2018. Naz was fully on board. Fenwick AD literally would not return calls or emails. As as CCLer, embarrassing

For the record, the "Prep Bowl Organizers" never invited NAZ to participate in our event to play Fenwick.

Reactions: Guido Sarducci
Funny, Naz Fenwick would be 2 Driscoll State Champion coaches against each other. I'm sure this game could easily be put together.

Let's play it on a neutral field at the old Addison Driscoll. The field that Arlis, Turner, Schwabe and Tranchatella all dominated their opponents like the State has never seen in its history is still there.

Also worth mentioning Naz is the best place in the State to watch a game and Triton College is the absolute worst place in the State to watch a game if you are the visiting team. If you go to Triton buy binoculars first because your going to need them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and DCH88
We are getting our Non Conference dream game this year with Morris coming to town week 1. First ever meeting between the two schools. Should be a record size attendance in Coal City. As good as Morris is year in and year out, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a nightmare match-up for the Coalers

Batavia vs Kaneland
Batavia vs Marmion

Great atmosphere, close schools.
The Batavia vs Marmion home/away series back in 2010 and 2011 were packed stadiums.

Batavia vs Naz
Batavia vs Montini

Naz and Montini are schools we have yet to play. Maybe cross paths in playoffs, but have to earn to get there first. We’ll be border 6A/7A this year with an 1899 enrollment, just have to wait for Soucie projections!

Couple other bigger schools we have yet to play, but may be biting off more than we can chew: GBW (could have played them in snowstorm semi’s back in 2015, but we lost to CG in quarterfinals), MS, Stevenson, Loyola, West Aurora.

Got to play Wheaton North and Lake Zurich last year for the first time, very respectable programs. Get to play WWS and NN for the first time this year.

Season is almost here boys!

Insert BartScottCan’tWaitNYJets.gif here!!!!!

We are getting our Non Conference dream game this year with Morris coming to town week 1. First ever meeting between the two schools. Should be a record size attendance in Coal City. As good as Morris is year in and year out, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a nightmare match-up for the Coalers

Go Coalers! Would be great to see the Coalers knock off what appears to be a good Morris team!

ADVERTISEMENT