ADVERTISEMENT

DOS

Great young man. You might remember him as the SS on the JRW team that won the US Little League title before having it taken. I’m a Sox fan true and true, but happy for Ed. Shame they lost out on this season, MC had a good shot at State in baseball.

Looks like the Sox got a Chris Sale prototype. I do remember him with the JRW team.

I wanted the Sox to draft Howard very badly. From what I understand, this kid breathes baseball. He's the leading SS in the draft. Meanwhile, learning of Crochet's fastball, and watching the comparison to Chris Sale, were comforting,, until I heard the dreaded "shoulder" word.

Reactions: USD24
While I like the first pick by the Sox, I am not going to get out over my skis and compare him to Chris Sale. If and when he comes up to the big leagues and starts getting big league hitters out and puts up the numbers Sale has, then I will begin the comparison.

While I like the first pick by the Sox, I am not going to get out over my skis and compare him to Chris Sale. If and when he comes up to the big leagues and starts getting big league hitters out and puts up the numbers Sale has, then I will begin the comparison.
I am reading about this comparison and the Sox ability to develop young pitchers, but based on recent history I’m not sold. Carson Fulmer, Carlos Rodon & Zack Burdi were all high ceiling guys with “electric stuff.” If this pick pans out I will gladly come back here and admit my doubts were wrong, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I am reading about this comparison and the Sox ability to develop young pitchers, but based on recent history I’m not sold. Carson Fulmer, Carlos Rodon & Zack Burdi were all high ceiling guys with “electric stuff.” If this pick pans out I will gladly come back here and admit my doubts were wrong, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Obviously every draft pick is a wait and see proposition. You have to admit his size, look, delivery and velocity make you think Sale. Hide the scissors if things work out.

Reactions: caravan8
I am glad you said this. Jury is out on Kopech although the Sox didn't draft him. To me, Rodon is the biggest disappointment.

Hard to develop when injuries happen in the case of Rodon and Burdi....Fulmer a 100 percent flop...yet I'm guessing someone will still take a flyer on him. He could become a middle relief type of guy but I'm guessing it will be elsewhere.

You have to admit his size, look, delivery and velocity make you think Sale.
I stopped thinking about things like that over 40 years ago and I will explain why. My HS varsity head baseball coach was about 10 years older than us. He was in excellent shape...probably still is. Played tennis. He pitched at ISU. When you looked at his delivery he was a mirror of Jim Palmer. Smooth and right over the top. He threw BP to the infielders while coach Hall threw to the outfielders. The HC pitched a few times in intra-squad games and was trying to get us out. We lit his ass up more than once. On one occasion, we got 7 extra base hits in a row off him and the 7th guy...a.190 hitter, hit a homerun over the left field fence. Coach was there on the mound gritting his teeth and pissed off at himself at the realization that it was over while we laughed among ourselves. We ran several extra wind sprints after practice that day.

Reactions: Eringobragh
I stopped thinking about things like that over 40 years ago and I will explain why. My HS varsity head baseball coach was about 10 years older than us. He was in excellent shape...probably still is. Played tennis. He pitched at ISU. When you looked at his delivery he was a mirror of Jim Palmer. Smooth and right over the top. He threw BP to the infielders while coach Hall threw to the outfielders. The HC pitched a few times in intra-squad games and was trying to get us out. We lit his ass up more than once. On one occasion, we got 7 extra base hits in a row off him and the 7th guy...a.190 hitter, hit a homerun over the left field fence. Coach was there on the mound gritting his teeth and pissed off at himself at the realization that it was over while we laughed among ourselves. We ran several extra wind sprints after practice that day.
He wasn’t the 11th player taken in the MLB draft.

He wasn’t the 11th player taken in the MLB draft.
He wasn't the 1111th player taken in the draft either. But my point was as I continue to say. I will compare the Sox 11th pick to Sale when he shows some of the same results. Let's hope the size, look, delivery and velocity aren't the only things you can compare in the end. :)

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
I still think the jury is out on Rodon....admittedly that jury is closing fast but still open....you wanna talk disappointments let start with say Carson Fullmer.
By disappointment in Rodon, his perpetual injuries are what I meant when saying he has been a disappointment. If they can't get him on the field and keep him on the field they have to cut him loose. If it's me, I give him one more chance. If he can't get through a complete season...gone.

Sox got RHP Jared Kelley (high school) in the 2nd round. He was rated as the 12th best prospect coming into the draft on MLB.com. Wonder if there’s some sign-ability issues. If they sign him that’s a great get.

Reactions: eireog

You love telling this story, don't you? So awkwardly placed and doesn't fit the context. At all.

Reactions: pjjp and SiuCubFan8
You love telling this story, don't you? So awkwardly placed and doesn't fit the context. At all.
I do love telling that story. It was quite funny. Actually, it's right on context. I don't care what a guy looks like in the wind up or delivery. The question is, can he get guys out at the big league level? That's all that counts. If it makes you feel better to say, "gee, let's compare him to Chris Sale because he winds up and delivers like Chris," have at it. That is not how I compare pitchers. But...I don't expect guys like you to understand the concept of pitching or baseball itself. Have a good day.

Here is another one for you. Many years ago, I was reading the paper. The article said one of Mickey Mantle's sons had a tryout with the Yankees. I don't know which one. Anyway, Casey Stengel was one of the guys who saw him. In the article Stengel said when Mantle's son stood at the plate for BP, he "cocked his head, like Mantle used to do." He said nothing else. In other words, so you will understand, he may have stood there like his dad, but he sure as hell didn't hit like his dad.

I hope the kid the Sox drafted does well. I am not saying he won't. But let's have the comparisons not about silly stuff, but about actual performance on the field in a big league uniform.

The Cards took a 6/5-220 schoolboy third baseman who was the Gatorade POY in GA. Mom, a phd prof who studied at Wash U in STL, and Dad is an MIT grad, pushing him to sign too - if he promises to get his degree.

Just turned 18 ... hope he turns into a masher!

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I did let out a primal scream upon hearing the Cubs take him. Wife actually ran in room thought I had administered a self-inflected stab wound didn't know what was going on. Have to feel great for Howard though. The times I saw him last year he had made such strides from soph to junior was really looking forward to seeing him this year. Always the chance he is the centerpiece of a blockbuster trade in 2023 and doesn't play on Northside!

I did let out a primal scream upon hearing the Cubs take him. Wife actually ran in room thought I had administered a self-inflected stab wound didn't know what was going on. Have to feel great for Howard though. The times I saw him last year he had made such strides from soph to junior was really looking forward to seeing him this year. Always the chance he is the centerpiece of a blockbuster trade in 2023 and doesn't play on Northside!

No Dean he is going to be the center piece of the Cubs for the next decade! Lol

Sure could happen who knows. He’s 18, so who’s on the MLB roster right now doesn’t really matter at all.
It could, depending on his development. If both Bryant and Baez get signed to long term contracts and stay healthy and productive, he could definitely become trade bait a little later, especially if he develops quicker than they think and they have a need somewhere else...like pitching.

I am not talking about today. I am talking about tomorrow. You never really know how quickly or slowly a guy will develop.

Of course this is for them to decide. All I know is they have already spent a hell of a lot for one single championship that has faded into memory. I am sure you know of some of the prospects they parted with in an effort to bring multiple championships to Chicago.

It could, depending on his development. If both Bryant and Baez get signed to long term contracts and stay healthy and productive, he could definitely become trade bait a little later, especially if he develops quicker than they think and they have a need somewhere else...like pitching.

I am not talking about today. I am talking about tomorrow. You never really know how quickly or slowly a guy will develop.

Of course this is for them to decide. All I know is they have already spent a hell of a lot for one single championship that has faded into memory. I am sure you know of some of the prospects they parted with in an effort to bring multiple championships to Chicago.
So many variables, Bryant could be in LF in 3 years, Baez could move to 2B, neither could be on Cubs, etc etc etc. if he was a college player a little different. Howard is pretty raw with the bat, he most likely will take some time to develop.

Yes, I’m fully aware of trades that have been made.

So many variables, Bryant could be in LF in 3 years, Baez could move to 2B, neither could be on Cubs, etc etc etc. if he was a college player a little different. Howard is pretty raw with the bat, he most likely will take some time to develop.

I agree there are a lot of variables. I guess we are just exploring a few of them. :)

Why on earth would you move Javy to 2B? Arguably top 3 in baseball at SS.

ADVERTISEMENT