ADVERTISEMENT

Does Philips win ...

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
if up a TD going into the 4th?

Let's be honest, we've seen much bigger upsets, ask bones.

I can't see Phillips winning. I don't even know what either has back. I got LA by 2 scores. Maybe I'll come back and revise once the color and color scrimmages take place, but I don't know.

Don't count out Phillips. The QB is crazy athletic and the skill players can flat out play. Only concern is the O line. What is back is the question

They have a punchers chance but I'll say LA 35-21. They will come out strong with their athleticism but they will tire out and run out of gas in the second half

4th best team in 4A cant lose as much as they did and beat a 8A power.

LA wins by 3 TD's the game will never be in question.

Maybe the top end talent at Phillips is better then the top end at LA but once you get to kids 3-20 the the talent gap will slide heavily to LA.

W doesn't Phillips move up into a better CPS division?
The Illini divisions are by enrollment; also why not ask Simeon and Curie to drop the North Side tomato cans and play MP, Hubbard, Phillips etc

If history tells us anything, special teams disparities that may exist between the 2 programs can not be ignored. I vaguely remember such being a factor in the Johnsburg playoff win against Phillips last fall.

Saw some of the Phillips kids at the Lake Forest camp and had a chance to briefly speak to them. They are super pumped up for this game. Not only do they truly believe that they will win, but they don't think it'll be a close game. The will to win matters, many times more often than skill. Ask Maine South about that in the final game. If LA matches the desire and the motivation and avoids mental mistakes in that complicated defensive scheme, they'll be fine. Hopefully for them they remember the final game against Maine South as a tool for the motivation and fire they'll surely need and that its not always about the talent.

LA graduated a lot of studs on both sides of the ball. Coach Holocek does not prefer to play his players both ways. It'll be interesting how they reload.

Saw some of the Phillips kids at the Lake Forest camp and had a chance to briefly speak to them. They are super pumped up for this game. Not only do they truly believe that they will win, but they don't think it'll be a close game. The will to win matters, many times more often than skill. Ask Maine South about that in the final game. If LA matches the desire and the motivation and avoids mental mistakes in that complicated defensive scheme, they'll be fine. Hopefully for them they remember the final game against Maine South as a tool for the motivation and fire they'll surely need and that its not always about the talent.
I don't think people are questioning Phillips skill, but I may be mistaken. But I agree somewhat with @ClownBaby that LA will be better at more positions, most importantly along the lines.

That said I think they'll compete.

Loyola has a major advantage in the trenches. I just don't think Phillips can overcome that.

I would love to be wrong though.

LB/DE Terrance Taylor transfered to Phillips from MC. They got TE Jaheel Billingsley too from MC after he was dismissed.

LB/DE Terrance Taylor transfered to Phillips from MC. They got TE Jaheel Billingsley too from MC after he was dismissed.
This Phillips team is loaded with talent, especially with these latest Mt. Carmel transfers. Tough D1 and possible All Staters at Qb, rb, te, de, dl and the one junior in the secondary. LA will need to bring it.

This Phillips team is loaded with talent, especially with these latest Mt. Carmel transfers. Tough D1 and possible All Staters at Qb, rb, te, de, dl and the one junior in the secondary. LA will need to bring it.

So will Byron.

Phillips will make a game of it but with half time adjustments LA wins. Better coaching is key in a game like this.

LA wins easily. 8a vs 5A is a big difference, as if that alone was not enough, they will play one of the most dominant teams not just in the state but the country (have been ranked in top 25 in nation last 2 years). Game over by halftime.

LA wins easily. 8a vs 5A is a big difference, as if that alone was not enough, they will play one of the most dominant teams not just in the state but the country (have been ranked in top 25 in nation last 2 years). Game over by halftime.
5A? Phillips is 3A, bro.

Makes my point even more. 8A vs 3A?! no chance.

But to quote some on this board - Phillips can pull from 4.9 million population base and they get a lot of transfers into the school. Shouldn't that "even out" the 3A to 8A gap at least some?

Ok boys - The LA magic will need to be in full force Saturday night. Just informed that their top 4 offensive players are out including the QB plus a sophomore starting on the O line. If they pull this one off - Coach Holocek goes to the top of my list as the top coach in Illinois.

The Suntimes article said 7 starters out all together. We shall see...

I couldn't agree more with JC that are not what you think of as 3A. They have D1 level talent at every position from all the transfers. It doesn't matter how big your school is or where you're slated when you have all conference players transferring in. By the way, I don't personally have an issue with that. The kids are doing what they think is best and are within bounds of the current IHSA rules, ( good or bad).

Reactions: CGsupporter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT