ADVERTISEMENT

Dating by proxy

eireog

Oct 6, 2007
So as to not hijack the famous alums thread , MC63 brought up a brush with celebrity dating. I’ll go first. I dated a girl that dated Walter Polavchak. Next!!

I dated a girl in high school whose uncle’s uncle was a major player in the Chicago mob in the mid eighties. Family visits to Melrose Park were a little intimidating.
Delete this. Just sayin

So as to not hijack the famous alums thread , MC63 brought up a brush with celebrity dating. I’ll go first. I dated a girl that dated Walter Polavchak. Next!!

I sat behind Brooke Shields on a plane once and my high school homecoming date threw up all over me.

I also saw a drunken Paris Hilton stumble through the terminal at Gatwick Airport.

My last room-mate in the Air Force had been the room-mate of Tony "Wally Cleaver" Dow in basic training. I figured he was telling the truth because no one would make that up.

Also, airplane seat-mates over the years: Al Jardine of the Beach Boys, and Calif. US Senator Hayakawa (who had written my college text on semantics).

Oh yes I forgot.

I once was on a plane with the Luv a bulls, the matadors and the Russian national wrestling team. Strange night!
I once sat at a bar talking to some guy and making fun of the lead singer of the band, who was dating the bartender. Turns out the guy at the bar was Robin Zander (cheap trick) and the lead singer was his son.

Reactions: MS4EVER
I dated a girl whose brother was in Marion Federal and he bunked with Pete Rose, which made them damn near brothers, according to prison rule.

I visited him when he was a trustee and snuck in a full tube of Kodiak ... that was really dumb now that I think back on it.

Reactions: eireog
I know this doesn't cover the subject of this thread. But, about 25 years ago, my wife and I once sat next to Shirley MacLaine on a late flight from L.A. to Chicago. I knew exactly who she was the second she sat down next to us.

But, my wife and I didn't want to bother her, so we all sat quiet for about 20 minutes after takeoff. Then, we let her strike up the conversation. She asked us if we were from the Chicago area. I asked her what was bringing her to Chicago and she said she was going to be on Oprah's show the next morning.

Very nice 3 hour chat and a very nice woman.

I sat next to Zack Greinke’s fiancé at a Sox/Royals game about 12 years ago. I realized who she was when she cursed after the Sox scored a run. She was very nice and talked about baseball and all the great travel they had done since he got to the MLB. I contemplated trying to make a move but then realized her fiancé was about to come into hundreds of millions of dollars and between the 2 buddies I was with and myself we had about $200 and a dive bar on Halsted Street.

Reactions: Gene K.
At Game one of the 2005 World Series, I chatted with Minnie Minoso, Tommy Lasorda (briefly) and Mike Starr -- a character actor who always plays a tough guy. Most recently, Starr was a retired thug who was badly beaten up by Jon Voight on "Ray Donovan." Check him out on IMDB.

My big moment, however, was the 2002 All Star Game in Milwaukee, where I sat next to Dallas Cowboy all-time great Drew Pearson. He is a fascinating man. I asked him about playing the Bears. He responded that his one and only trip to Soldier Field was his worst ever experience in the NFL Absolutely, the worst locker room he ever experienced. When he got up to go to the men's room, some Packer fans a few rows behind us made some nasty cracks. What can you expect?

It was my honor to know Ray and Joey Meyer at DePaul.

I have a client in Houston that gives me Astros tickets. One time there was this girl in the suite that claimed she was married to Justin Verlander. I think she said her name was Kate. Pretty cute girl, but I didn’t believe her.

I have a client in Houston that gives me Astros tickets. One time there was this girl in the suite that claimed she was married to Justin Verlander. I think she said her name was Kate. Pretty cute girl, but I didn’t believe her.
Umm pretty cute? Kate Upton? A little more than pretty cute!

I wasn't going to tell this story. But after reading some of this stuff...what the hell?

So, about 40 years ago I dated three women at separate times who fall into this category. It all happened when I was "employed" and lived in another state.

The first was in the early summer who had dated ex-White Sox pitcher Francisco Barrios. The second one I dated later that summer had dated Clint Hurdle. The next spring I dated a woman who had dated ex-Pirates pitcher Jim Rooker.

I don't know if I'd call this classic dating with those women. I wasn't building a relationship with any of them and they weren't building one with me. I took each one of them out 4 or 5 times. After a couple drinks, maybe a little dancing, the last question before leaving the night club always was, "your place or mine?"

All we were doing was looking for a good time. No one got hurt.

Another good thread to start would be one asking, what's the worst date you ever had? Mine is easy. It was my HS prom date when I was a Junior.

Probably "nothing" ;)
Less than nothing. But that wasn't really why it was the worst. I had a couple classes with her and she seemed nice enough and we got along fine. So, what the hell...I asked her.

All she did all night was sit there and talk shit about the other girls there and the dresses they were wearing and how horrible they looked. What an incredible b*tch. She had a real high opinion of herself. Talk about reading someone wrong. She was good looking too. But duh, no wonder she didn't have a boyfriend. She was one cold chick.

Here comes the funny part. Fast forward about 20 years. I was playing softball with a friend who was a Will County cop. I happened to look up into the bleachers and who was sitting there. She was! Turned out she was his wife. My wife was at the game too. When we got home my wife said, "geez that woman sitting in front of me was kind of snotty." I just started laughing and told her who she was. But it gets better.

A couple weeks later we were playing again and I looked up in the bleachers and saw my younger son's pre-school teacher talking to my wife. This was a woman we knew and had drinks with. I wondered who she was with. Well, turned out she was my buddy's side action. 1+1 definitely added up to 2. Now, I don't condone that kind of behavior, but I couldn't help thinking I knew something she didn't and it couldn't be happening to a better woman.

My mother in law dated David Doyle, Bosley of Charlie’s Angels fame, but her sister topped her by going on two dates with Ted Kennedy.

As Denis Leary would say “ good Senator, terrible swimmer” hopefully she didn’t need his swimming talent.

eireog:

Although few younger than us will recall the Iranian hostage crisis, the matter spawned one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard. A year-long diplomatic standoff in which the mullahs in Tehran stoked anti-American sentiment, their radicalized followers seized the U.S. embassy and held 52 American personnel for 444 days.

As the saga unfolded, each night brought more unwelcome news, including the persistent rumor the captive Americans had been executed. As diplomatic efforts stalled and the crisis lengthened, naturally humorists involved themselves to bring temporary relief over the anxiety caused by the dilemma. If I recall correctly, the most memorable witticism surrounding the situations went something like this:

"Well, the good news is the crisis is over. Carter negotiated an agreement which will see the return of the hostages. In exchange, Tehran gets Barbara Walters. The bad news, of course, is Ted Kennedy is driving her to the airport."

eireog:

"Well, the good news is the crisis is over. Carter negotiated an agreement which will see the return of the hostages. In exchange, Tehran gets Barbara Walters. The bad news, of course, is Ted Kennedy is driving her to the airport."
Oh. That's a BIG ouch. As long as he didn't take a wrong turn and wasn't going to be headed for any narrow bridges over a pond.

After the Commissioner of Baseball Bowie Kuhn offered the returning hostages from the Iran hostage crisis lifetime passes to Major League Baseball games, Beano Cook quipped, "Haven't they suffered enough?"

I partied with Cindy Crawford once. I was in a frat at NIU and she came to an after hours party at our house one night - played quarters with her and an equally attractive local friend (who was not a budding superstar at the time).

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
ADVERTISEMENT