ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 5

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Four Friday and one Saturday contest in Week 5. UHigh was able to schedule a game in place of Eisenhower with non-conference opponent Champaign Central. The Saturday game between Chatham and Springfield could be the best of the week.

Friday
Champaign Central (0-3) at UHigh (1-3)
Central hasn’t won yet but has played decent competition. They have lost each game by about 20 points. UHigh has been my Achilles Heel in CS8 picks so far. They lost a winnable game at home last week by 2 scores against Lanphier. This is probably a coin flip game. My weak hunch is UHigh will have just enough to win this week. UHigh 23 Central 19

Jacksonville (2-2) at Southeast (0-4)
Southeast has struggled to stay competitive in most games. Playing at home hasn’t helped them much. Jacksonville scored 40 last week against non-conference foe Morton but also gave up 34. Jacksonville 37 Southeast 13

SHG (4-0) at Lanphier (2-2).
Lanphier got a nice win at UHigh last week and has exceeded my expectations so far. They have a solid chance to go 3-3. Unfortunately for them, they get to host SHG this week. Should be an opportunity for Ken Leonard to play a lot of Reserves by the 2nd Quarter. SHG 52 Lanphier 7

Rochester (3-1) at MacArthur (1-3)
MacArthur has struggled this season. I thought with the Eisenhower transfers they could be in the top tier of the conference. Chatham handled them easily last week, 35-7. Mac has beaten Rochester at home before in 2014 and lost by only 1 score in 2018. This time, I think Rochester rebounds solidly from last week’s loss to SHG. I’ll be interested to see if Derek keeps Beatty and Friedewald about equally at QB or begins to shift to Beatty more with the fall in mind. Rochester 49 MacArthur 14

Saturday
Chatham (3-1) at Springfield (3-1)
This has the potential to be the best game of Week 5. Two teams with QB’s who can hurt you by passing or running. Jake Burris has been very productive for Chatham. He will probably carry the ball more than the Chatham RB’s. Burris doesn’t pass that much but his completions tend to go for big gains. Rashad Rochelle can go for 90 yards on a broken play and has some solid receiving options. Springfield probably has more skill player weapons, but Chatham has a little more depth and size on the lines. I could see this coming down to the last play of the game. Chatham 34 Springfield 33

i agree with your picks. i think se/jax may be a little closer. se moved the ball well vs shs. shs on side kicked to start the game and recovered. shs scored and on side kicked again and recovered. se down 12-0 w/out an offensive possession.

se always seems to play jhs really tight.

i like the cg/shs prediction.

Reactions: rocketnation
All scores at Halftime
SHG 56 Lanphier 0
Rochester 56 MacArthur 25
Jacksonville 35 Southeast 0
Can’t find UHigh and Central score yet

All Finals
SHG 56 Lanphier 0
Rochester 70 MacArthur 39 Rochester led 42-7 in the first half but couldn’t get the running clock. MacArthur QB played well and Rochester defense let down at times. Hank Beatty threw for 3TD’s and caught 3 as well. Jacob DuRocher ran for almost 200 yards.
Jacksonville 54 Southeast 8 Jacksonville has a good chance to end 4-2.
UHigh 63 Champaign Central 12 Had to work very hard to find this score. Hope it’s correct. UHigh gets their 2nd win with a blowout.

Tough night for many Defensive Coordinators.

Will try to get to Springfield-Chatham tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: net-se
All..... Cyclones get the shutout. That kid (QB) from the Lions has some very good passing touch skills. He can split a pass in traffic with the best of them. Lanphier just doesn't have enough players to not wear down. Ratsy

Final
Chatham 42 Springfield 35
Very good game. Chatham got the kickoff and scored, recovered an onside kick and scored, then got an Interception deep in Springfield territory. Springfield got a stop to avoid going down three scores. After that, it was a back and forth game. Rashad Rochelle returned a kick for a TD late in the 2nd Quarter, and Chatham led 21-13 at half.

Both starting QB’s played Defense throughout as well. Chatham QB Jake Burris didn’t throw much but probably ran for over 200 yards and multiple scores. Chatham also has a pretty good Junior RB. Rochelle lost his best Receiver to an injury in the 1st half. Springfield had a long drive to start the 3rd Quarter and scored on a 4th and goal only to have the TD wiped out on a penalty. Burris had a 70 yard run on the next play, with Rochelle making a TD saving tackle. Chatham went up two TD’s shortly after. Rochelle got a late TD run and 2 point pass to make it 42-35 with under a minute left. Chatham recovered the onside kick and ran out the clock.

Chatham at 4-1 has been the surprise of the CS8 to me because they returned so few experienced players from 2019. SHG walloped them but they have everyone else too. The game with Rochester next week will decide 2nd place in the CS8. Springfield plays SHG, and I don’t expect them to get their 3rd straight win over the Cyclones.

Reactions: net-se
Standings through Week 5 and Week 6 matchups
SHG 5-0 vs Springfield Week 6
Rochester 4-1 vs Chatham
Chatham 4-1 vs Rochester
Springfield 3-2 vs SHG
Jacksonville 3-2 vs UHigh
Lanphier 2-3 vs Southeast
UHigh 2-3 vs Jacksonville
MacArthur 1-4 vs Peoria Manual
Southeast 0-5 vs Lanphier
Eisenhower No Spring Football