ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions Week 4 (Leonard Bowl)

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
With Eisenhower not playing this spring, Jacksonville currently does not have a game. If that changes, I will add a prediction for them. The other 4 games are all scheduled for Friday night.

Lanphier (1-2) at UHigh (1-2)
Both teams struggled on the road last week after getting nice wins in Week 2. Lanphier was shut out by Jacksonville, and UHigh was running clocked by halftime by Rochester. UHigh played well at home against Southeast in Week 2 and Lanphier is a comparable opponent. UHigh 33 Lanphier 13

Springfield (2-1) at Southeast (0-3)
Southeast has really struggled to score points so far. Springfield won at MacArthur after falling behind 14-0 early. Should be another big night for QB Rashad Rochelle. Springfield 47 Southeast 7

MacArthur (1-2) at Chatham (2-1)
Chatham should rebound at home after last week’s beating by SHG. MacArthur has underperformed a little so far this season. They are struggling to score points and lost a winnable game at home to Springfield last week. Chatham 29 MacArthur 14

And that leaves the Leonard Bowl.
Rochester (3-0) at SHG (3-0)

SHG has abused two of the better teams in the CS8 the last two weeks at home, beating MacArthur and Chatham by a combined 115-14. Of the 15 drives I saw by the SHG offense in these games, they scored 13 TD’s, missed a FG on the last play of the half, and had 1 turnover. Rochester has also played very well, except for one bad stretch in the 2nd Quarter against Springfield. The alternating of Beatty and Friedewald at QB has been successful, and the Defense has been better than I expected.

While Rochester certainly has a chance, SHG has an easier path to victory for several reasons. First, Rochester has never won at Ken Leonard Stadium and several of the worst losses I’ve witnessed in person have been at SHG (56-14 in 2014 and 45-6 in 2018). Second, one of Rochester’s biggest advantages in both 2019 wins against SHG was the experience of QB Clay Bruno, who ended his high school career with 25+ starts. This has flipped this year, as QB Isiah Thompson now has 15 or so career starts and Beatty/Friedewald will have 4 on Friday. Finally, the SHG defense, which was a weak link in 2019, is much improved. In particular, their Secondary has been very aggressive and has forced turnovers in all three games played. Which defense can get more stops Friday?

For the Rochester seniors, this is the last class of kids I personally know well, as my kids overlapped with them. They are a great group and have shown plenty of heart and guts, going back to their JFL days. They will graduate having won 2 state titles in the 3 full years they played. I’d love for my guess to be wrong. SHG 47 Rochester 37

Jacksonville (1-2) now has a game Friday at home against Morton (1-2). Jacksonville got their first win last week and their Sophomore QB played his best game of the season. Morton lost 38-7 last week to Washington, a perennial 5a playoff team.
Jacksonville 27 Morton 13

Reactions: net-se
All.... The final SHG 52 Rochester 33.

Only one surprise tonight. The Rockets with subs galore in from the Cyclone side and very late in the game with no chance to win decided to throw and throw again with Beatty and crew to get another score. Ok whatever.

Cyclone teams always have above average offenses. What people didn't didn't know coming into this year was the stud defense that this team has.

Ratsy

P.S. As I knew after week one Kankakee would be and is the best team the Cyclones would face in this short season.

All.... The final SHG 52 Rochester 33.

Only one surprise tonight. The Rockets with subs galore in from the Cyclone side and very late in the game with no chance to win decided to throw and throw again with Beatty and crew to get another score. Ok whatever.
I guess they should have stopped trying. How do you win in blowout fashion and get “surprised” that the other team tried?

I guess they should have stopped trying. How do you win in blowout fashion and get “surprised” that the other team tried?

All.... Here let me help you with your thoughts. They are losing by 25 or so with maybe two minutes or so left and it's pass after pass against the subs with obvious intent to score again. And I repeat. Ok.... Whatever floats your boat. Ratsy

Reactions: crusader_of_90
All.... Here let me help you with your thoughts. They are losing by 25 or so with maybe two minutes or so left and it's pass after pass against the subs with obvious intent to score again. And I repeat. Ok.... Whatever floats your boat. Ratsy
😂 and you mean to tell me no one told Derek Leonard that they were supposed to take a knee?

All Finals
Chatham 35 MacArthur 7 Mac really struggling.
Jacksonville 40 Morton 34 (OT) Morton came closer than I expected.
Springfield 54 Southeast 14
Lanphier 33 UHigh 20 Lanphier gets a win on the road after being shut out last week. My UHigh predictions have stunk this year.

SHG 52 Rochester 33 Well, the Rockets did not get their first win at Ken Leonard stadium. Another very impressive effort by SHG. Rochester fell behind early and SHG is just extremely difficult to defend. Thompson, Sweetland, Bevly, and Rockford all made big plays. The SHG offensive line is very physical, and Rochester couldn’t put pressure on Thompson. SHG also defended the pass well. Rochester had only 1 deep ball completed the whole game that I remember. Jacob DuRocher kept the Rockets afloat in the 1st half. He ended up with 3 TD’s and I’m guessing at least 150 yards. Really surprised his best offer to-date is as a preferred walk-on at Western.

Reactions: net-se
😂 and you mean to tell me no one told Derek Leonard that they were supposed to take a knee?

All..... And you know what is so odd about this was something I yapped about long ago. I believe it was 2011. SHG at Rochester is up pretty big late in a regular season game. The Cyclones on offense have their subs in and are doing what most teams in that position do. Run , run, run, up the middle and everyone (left) in the stadium knows it. (even me) Just run out the clock. But the Cycs continue to get yardage and are close to scoring again. There is a bit under four minutes left. Coach Leonard (not sure what down maybe first or second) has the team take a knee till a change of possession.

Coach Leonard (the Rochester one) does the same on the very next series. I've never seen that with so much time left on the clock.

Maybe that's why I found what happened tonight a bit odd. That wouldn't of happened against other teams. Maybe a change when father plays against son now. Ratsy

All Finals
Chatham 35 MacArthur 7 Mac really struggling.
Jacksonville 40 Morton 34 (OT) Morton came closer than I expected.
Springfield 54 Southeast 14
Lanphier 33 UHigh 20 Lanphier gets a win on the road after being shut out last week. My UHigh predictions have stunk this year.

SHG 52 Rochester 33 Well, the Rockets did not get their first win at Ken Leonard stadium. Another very impressive effort by SHG. Rochester fell behind early and SHG is just extremely difficult to defend. Thompson, Sweetland, Bevly, and Rockford all made big plays. The SHG offensive line is very physical, and Rochester couldn’t put pressure on Thompson. SHG also defended the pass well. Rochester had only 1 deep ball completed the whole game that I remember. Jacob DuRocher kept the Rockets afloat in the 1st half. He ended up with 3 TD’s and I’m guessing at least 150 yards. Really surprised his best offer to-date is as a preferred walk-on at Western.
All.... Absolutely agree. The kid is a stud and one of the best I have ever seen. I lost my voice yelling at the Cyclone side telling them (like they didn't know) to tackle him low.... Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
I don’t know how much chance those kids have to play or score but it’s hard for me to fault the team who is losing for trying to score.

Agreed. Had there been a full fall season, I hoped Rochester would fall back to 4a. SHG vs Joliet Catholic or St Rita in a 5a title game would have been very entertaining.

All.... My wish if a full season would have worked out would of course been a second go around with the Rockets in the 5A playoffs. Return the favor so to speak from the 2019 season.

Two games in one season could in the future happen. Enrollment at SHG is 550. If that continues to decline even with the 1.65 multiplier the Cyclones could eventually end up into 4A. And it's my understanding that Rochester's enrollment has leveled out for the most part. They likely will not see Class 5A again. Ratsy

The two largest classes at Rochester are 2021 and 2022. Some of the lower grades have fewer than 150 kids. Absent some serious new development, the high school enrollment could drop by 100 students from its current 770 within 5 years.

The SJR story on the game didn’t run until today. SHG had 358 yards rushing from their Big 3. Thompson and Sweetland were both over 130 yards and Bevly had 85. Thompson threw for 219 as well. DuRocher had 166 yards rushing for Rochester. SHG held Rochester to 53% passing completion (23-43), much lower than typical. There were a few drops, but I give much of the credit to the SHG secondary. Beatty threw for 129, ran for 37, and had 78 receiving. He also mentioned the Week 6 game with Chatham in the post game interviews. No big secret but Rochester badly wants to avenge the 2019 loss which gave Chatham the CS8 title.

ADVERTISEMENT