ADVERTISEMENT

CPS to start fully remote

They threatened to strike and a couple hours later the mayor folded. Mark my words CTU goes after private schools opening next. Pritzker will go along with CTU’s wishes and you can see the Catholic schools closing in droves. Sad times.
Catholic School teachers aren’t in the CTU, they don’t have any control over them...I think...

I see the charter schools 1st on their list. All the CPS teachers I know sent their kids to CCL/ESCC schools. Those kids for the most part are teachers too.

Reactions: Gene K.
The decisions a parent has to make in today's world regarding school and e-learning is difficult (in some cases almost impossible). Never fear the CTU in Chicago has made the decision for Chicago's parents! Suburbs seem to also be leaning towards e-learning.

The real problem some suburban districts are having is lack of planning, they spent so much time building up the E-learning that they didn’t give enough thought to what would be required to get the kids back into class on day one. One district around me didn’t start planning to have kids in the classroom until July and then they switched to E-learning since they lacked time to complete proper planning and building modifications required to safely have students. I bet this problem is the driving force behind so many districts going to E-learning against the wishes of the parents.

The real problem some suburban districts are having is lack of planning, they spent so much time building up the E-learning that they didn’t give enough thought to what would be required to get the kids back into class on day one. One district around me didn’t start planning to have kids in the classroom until July and then they switched to E-learning since they lacked time to complete proper planning and building modifications required to safely have students. I bet this problem is the driving force behind so many districts going to E-learning against the wishes of the parents.

I think most districts did anticipate the parents desire. They assumed that most would want elearning versus in class. Districts were shocked when the responses came back.

Last edited:
As of now we are still 5 days 100% in school. Board meets Thursday but the schools have been pushing full time hard so I can't see them moving from all in school to all remote.

CPS announced they won't start fall sports on Monday. May delay another week to ensure proper protocols are in place.

D230 will be remote now after all the fuss.
Going fully remote until Monday, 9/21 which is 14 (quarantine?) days after Labor Day coincidentally. Then, they will welcome 25% of the student body each 1 day a week. So far southwest suburban "rival" district LW210 appears (as of 8/5) to begin welcoming 50% of their students right from the late August start on a 3 days one week, 2 days the next week pattern.

Going fully remote until Monday, 9/21 which is 14 (quarantine?) days after Labor Day coincidentally. Then, they will welcome 25% of the student body each 1 day a week. So far southwest suburban "rival" district LW210 appears (as of 8/5) to begin welcoming 50% of their students right from the late August start on a 3 days one week, 2 days the next week pattern.

They will be remote the whole semester. No one who claims they are starting late will be in school.

What was 230 parent response for in school? Was there a survey showing parent support?

Parents are not part of the equation.

Sadly this is true even though they are paying everyone's salary and are the main stake holder. I took parental survey back in May and once the D200 got the results they started working with the Teachers Union so that kids will be back in class on day 1 since its what the parents wanted. At my kids school only 20% opted for E-learning, most other schools in the district will be above 80% participation.

That’s interesting. How are the teachers responding?
Teachers and union were part of coming up with the plan. Theyve already setup their classrooms for social distancing. Photos were part of the presentation.

Teachers and union were part of coming up with the plan. Theyve already setup their classrooms for social distancing. Photos were part of the presentation.

Most teachers unions are reasonable and willing to work if brought into the process early, too many school districts bungled this thing from the get go and that is why the only option they have is E-learning.

Reactions: stripes13
Their plan is almost exactly the same as everyone else’s plan. Everyone else is going remote for the most part. Good for them to get it approved. I hate to be a naysayer but I’ll be shocked if kids end up in the building.

Sadly this is true even though they are paying everyone's salary and are the main stake holder. I took parental survey back in May and once the D200 got the results they started working with the Teachers Union so that kids will be back in class on day 1 since its what the parents wanted. At my kids school only 20% opted for E-learning, most other schools in the district will be above 80% participation.
The main stakeholder is the students, not the parents.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Their plan is almost exactly the same as everyone else’s plan. Everyone else is going remote for the most part. Good for them to get it approved. I hate to be a naysayer but I’ll be shocked if kids end up in the building.
It doesn't seem like everyones. Kids in school full days. Class sizes down to 14. If you dont want you kid in school they have to sit and watch the live feed of the classroom all day. Ventilation systems have been changed. 4 outdoor classrooms purchased. Electrostatic disinfectant cleaners for the hallways. Seemed like they were working all summer while other schools started way too late.

Reactions: Gene K.
It doesn't seem like everyones. Kids in school full days. Class sizes down to 14. If you dont want you kid in school they have to sit and watch the live feed of the classroom all day. Ventilation systems have been changed. 4 outdoor classrooms purchased. Electrostatic disinfectant cleaners for the hallways. Seemed like they were working all summer while other schools started way too late.
I’ve seen almost every district’s plan and this is exactly what many of them looked like. Unless your teachers are different than the entire rest of the state’s, then your kids will be learning from home. I truly hope it happens, because that means it’s actually possible!

When my 8 year old tries to stand up to me I laugh at him and tell him to sit down. I’m his father not his friend.
Exactly what I told my kids. You have a much higher stake in their future and well being than their friends. When the crap hits the fan, family might be all you have. Congrats for being a good father.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT