ADVERTISEMENT

CPS Conference Champs & the playoffs

Catch--22

Sep 29, 2006
Lombard
Is anyone privy to what the CPS/IHSA intends to do if the strike wipes out this weekend. I know the CPS teams will still be slotted into the playoffs. Just curious if the conference champions will be determined and placed in the playoff as well.

In the Illini (Second City), Phoenix is undefeated in league play at 3-0, but 3-4 overall. They did not play their Week 8 game. Marine is 5-3 (3-1) and plays a winless team. CMA-Bronzeville is 4-3 (3-1) and plays Phoenix. There are 6 teams in the conference. Does PHX get the bid with 3 total wins?

The Illini (Heartland) is even more messed up. CVS 4-4 (3-1), UP-Bronzeville 3-5 (3-1), and Brooks 3-5 (3-1) are all tied atop the conference standings. Mather is in fourth place, but already clinched a playoff spot at 6-2 (2-2). UP-Bronzeville plays 1-7 North Lawndale. They have already beaten Brooks and CVS, who play each other. A Bronzeville win gives them the tie-breaker over the CVS/Brooks winner. But what happens if these games are never played? If the season is declared over, UP-Bronzeville would be the champ by virtue of their 2-0 record among the 3-way tie. 6-team conference, so do they get the bid, giving this conference two playoff teams?

Not to pick on UP-Bronzeville, because I’ve coached and rooted for my fair share of struggling teams. God bless those guys for all their hard work. But, if the IHSA intends on awarding conference championship bids to the playoffs in the CPS Illini conferences AS IS, the Lions resume might go down in playoff history.... 3-5 (3-1). Point differential of -168. Lost to playoff ineligible Noble/Comer by 20. Lost to Aurora Christian by 53. Lost to Kenwood by 42. Lost to Mather by 2. Lost to Payton by 63.

Beat Lindblom by 2
Beat Brooks by 2
Beat CVS by 2

By the way, Marist is possibly going to be out with wins over Lake Zurich, Pat’s, and Fenwick, and losses to ND, Rice, MC, and Naz by a combined 27 points.

Yikes emoji
Hmm emoji
Little guy shrugging emoji

Another big mess.I say if they are on strike by Saturday to not let any CPS teams in.Let them sue.Big deal

Last edited:
ALSO, Joliet West is the 3-way tie-breaker champ in the Southwest Prairie East at 3-5 (3-1). They are tied with Plainfield South and Plainfield East. They all went 1-1 against each other. The next tie-breaker is points allowed in the games among the tied teams, which Joliet West wins 36 to 49 to 52. All 3 teams play opponents who are 1-7 this week, so JW is in if we have no upsets. And the IHSA doesn't even have them listed in the Playoff Outlook!

AND...... If Joliet West, Plainfield South, and Plainfield East all LOSE, no other team passes any of them in the standings. Same 3-way tie scenario is used, and Joliet West is in the 8A playoffs, playing the winner of the Minooka/Oswego game, with a 3-6 record.

And let's get nuts for a moment, because they lost to Oswego by only 9 way back in week 2. Conference crossover foe they know very well.

Hmmm... I can already envision it. Leila Rahimi on Friday Night Lites, November 8, interviewing the great Bill Lech (my coach at HC back in the 18th century). His Tigers started 0-4, but wiggled into the playoffs at 3-6, and then SHOCKED Oswego. Now they're getting ready to host a 2nd round playoff game. I love it! Maine South @ Joliet West, week 11... Let's go!

Did you say CPS Playoff Pick’em???

Give me:

Fenger
Senn
Orr
Whoever is beating Lane Tech this week...

Is anyone privy to what the CPS/IHSA intends to do if the strike wipes out this weekend. I know the CPS teams will still be slotted into the playoffs. Just curious if the conference champions will be determined and placed in the playoff as well.

In the Illini (Second City), Phoenix is undefeated in league play at 3-0, but 3-4 overall. They did not play their Week 8 game. Marine is 5-3 (3-1) and plays a winless team. CMA-Bronzeville is 4-3 (3-1) and plays Phoenix. There are 6 teams in the conference. Does PHX get the bid with 3 total wins?

The Illini (Heartland) is even more messed up. CVS 4-4 (3-1), UP-Bronzeville 3-5 (3-1), and Brooks 3-5 (3-1) are all tied atop the conference standings. Mather is in fourth place, but already clinched a playoff spot at 6-2 (2-2). UP-Bronzeville plays 1-7 North Lawndale. They have already beaten Brooks and CVS, who play each other. A Bronzeville win gives them the tie-breaker over the CVS/Brooks winner. But what happens if these games are never played? If the season is declared over, UP-Bronzeville would be the champ by virtue of their 2-0 record among the 3-way tie. 6-team conference, so do they get the bid, giving this conference two playoff teams?

Not to pick on UP-Bronzeville, because I’ve coached and rooted for my fair share of struggling teams. God bless those guys for all their hard work. But, if the IHSA intends on awarding conference championship bids to the playoffs in the CPS Illini conferences AS IS, the Lions resume might go down in playoff history.... 3-5 (3-1). Point differential of -168. Lost to playoff ineligible Noble/Comer by 20. Lost to Aurora Christian by 53. Lost to Kenwood by 42. Lost to Mather by 2. Lost to Payton by 63.

Beat Lindblom by 2
Beat Brooks by 2
Beat CVS by 2

By the way, Marist is possibly going to be out with wins over Lake Zurich, Pat’s, and Fenwick, and losses to ND, Rice, MC, and Naz by a combined 27 points.

Yikes emoji
Hmm emoji
Little guy shrugging emoji
From what I have been told is that no school without 8 games played will be allowed in the playoffs, so in the first scenario, Marine is conference champs and gets bid

So at 10:30 pm on Monday they have announced that School is canceled tomorrow. Does this officially rule out Simeon's playoff chances?

Simeon could have had a game but waited too long.That clown who is running football for CPS was supposed to match them against another CPS who didn’t have a game.He didn’t stick to it and Simeon was left without a game

And reading the local talk on the various sections of Chicago pages they will be on strike possibly to early November at least til Halloween.

The IHSA Playoff & Strike FAQ’s released today says conference champs in the CPS will be recognized for the playoffs. Phoenix, in at 3-4. UP-Bronzeville, in at 3-5.

And to think, people were upset about a 4-5 Naperville Central.

So where was the IHSA a few years ago when ESL was on strike and should have been granted all these waivers and seeding etc...? Guess you need a Chicago Lawyer!

The IHSA Playoff & Strike FAQ’s released today says conference champs in the CPS will be recognized for the playoffs. Phoenix, in at 3-4. UP-Bronzeville, in at 3-5.

And to think, people were upset about a 4-5 Naperville Central.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT