ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick'Em Week 4 IHSA Week 5

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
Well we're down to just 2 weeks left in this football spring season. It has been a weird year but this football season has brought us some sense of normalcy. 4:15 Gatley Dogs on a Thursday and the world is a better place.

Noble Johnson vs Catalyst Maria
This is the 4:15 Thursday game of the week! And man is it a great one! Everyone loves the Noble Johnson. The noblest of all the Nobles it looks like the Johnson has only played 1 game this year(according to MaxPreps so who knows if it's accurate) which is a shame because they tend to be a contender for the Noble Bowl. Big fan of the Noble Johnson and hey it's 2021 so the fact that they have just played 1 game is fine and I can still pick them.
The Noble Johnson 27 Catalyst Maria 6

Hyde Park vs Dunbar
I am not sure what has happened to Dunbar. The Mightymen are 0-3 and not looking very mighty mighty. Hyde Park is one of the few teams I don't believe I have ever seen in the CPL. But I have seen Hyde Park wrestle and they got sweet singlets. Also Hyde Park is the Thunderbirds! My HS OC drove a Thunderbird, it was an awesome car and we could score some points!
Thunderbirds 54 Dunbar 14

Little Village vs Dyett
They say it takes a village to raise a child. If the village is a little one do you need multiple villages to raise that child? One of the positives of the pandemic is I changed my diet and lost some lbs. The one problem with losing the weight is nothing fits right anymore. Had to go buy a new belt last week not that I am venturing out into the world again. When in the world did belts become so expensive! Diets are overrated, bring on the beer and fried foods!
Little Village 14 Dyett 8

Butler vs Fenger
FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fenger 32 Butler 0

North Lawndale vs Collins
Soooooo I look at MaxPreps to see what North Lawndale is doing. The ever unreliable MP tells me that North Lawndale lost to Clemente 8-2...in OT. I want to see a game that at the end of regulation was 2-2. Man only in the CPL, you all are missing out if you're not checking out some Thursday mid afternoon/late evening games you are missing out! The Collins quadruplets have left Lake View and that's the only Collins I know of.
The Phoenix Rise 30 Collins 12

Senn vs Roosevelt
Looks like Roosevelt may be getting their first game this week. Doesn't matter, no games or 10 games they aint ready for the DAWGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
DAWGZ 24 Roosevelt 0

Orr vs Michelle Clark
Orr has struggled to Row The Boat so far this spring and seem to be taking on water. Michelle Clark started out hot but struggled last week after Percy said to take Clark getting 14 points. Percy I trusted you and I lost a lot of money on that game! In a normal league I'd say pound the 2-1 team over the 0-2 game. BUT not so fast my friend, there is nothing that is normal about CPL football, especially in the Spring. We rowing the boats this weekend!
Orr 24 Michelle Clark 12

Loyola vs Phillips
I don't get Phillips vs Simeon this year so I'll happily take Loyola vs Phillips instead. Not quite sure about this 4:15 kick, seems a little shady to me. I know this game, like the previous one will be at Loyola. Personally I would love to see the Loyola team make their way down to Mandrake, now that would be an experience! If at Mandrake I would lay all my money on Phillips, with it being at Loyola I'm leaning towards placing a wager similar to my Clark with the 14 last week. Hopefully the Wildcats don't let me down!
Phillips 14 Loyola 7

Schwab on top of his game this week! We got pick em a full day early!!!

There's great symmetry in the Catalyst Maria name... Think about every Maria you have ever encountered. It doesn't matter what their ethnicity is but I bet every single one of them has a WHOLE lot of personality. No way you can bet against that amount of personality. Maria explodes (again, probably)

Hyde Park vs. Dunbar
Dunbar is right back to their old tricks. I said it before and I'll say it again. Every time you think you can trust them they let you down. There's just no where else to turn though so you keep going back hoping things will change. Might as well stick with it at this point, only 2 more weeks left. Mighty Men get it figured out!

Little Village vs. Dyett
The size of the village doesn't matter this week. Dyett is the surprise of the week (season) out of this year's hot CPL action. Expect that to continue. Dyett feasts on the Michigan Ave Buffet.

Butler vs Fenger
Pretty sure neither of these teams are actually playing this Spring, which makes this matchup a classic CPL tilt. You could probably check out MaxPreps and they'll have a 0-0 record but somehow there will be scores for the games they should have played. So clearly that all means Fingers put up a 50 burger and win.

North Lawdale vs Collins
Ran into an old friend the other day, incidentally named Collins, he was going on and on about his brother. Kid is apparently in culinary school and going to be a real up and comer on the scene, said he has completely reinvented the Beef Wellington and to expect it to take over as the new hot food trend. If there's anything you don't need to sell me twice on, it's delicious meat trends. SOLD Collins it is.

Senn vs Roosevelt
Schwab you're just trolling at this point. Roosevelt hasn't played a game all year. But since we're talking about the DAWGZ, I'll take this chance to list my favorites. Here comes my top 5... #5 Golden Retriever #4 Labrador Retriever #3 Siberian Huskie #2 American Bulldog (definitely not the French one) #1 BEagle just so reliable. Only an idiot would pick against BEagles

Orr vs Clark
Orr has been struggling. Clark was rolling (up until last week). But you know what Orr doesn't have? A guiding light. That Clark team has that beacon. They're young, they'll get coached up and they will rise from that darkness. Long as they keep playing at that level they'll be fine and by that level I mean the Prairie State.

Loyola vs Phillips
Matchup of the Season for the CPL. Just not sure what the Wildcats can do when they can't outdude everyone like they do in conference action. You know Loyola is beating that revenge drum from the last shocking matchup. Give me the Ramblers

I've said it once, I'll say it again. If you really love high school football, you need to get yourself to a CPS Thursday 3:30 game before you die. Football at its most pure. Plus, if social distancing is your thing, I have never seen more than 30 fans in the stands, in any year. Plenty of places to spread out. Two more weeks to go! On to the picks!

Thursday afternoon at Stagg Stadium! Always a good time. Roll over to pick up wings and catfish nuggets at Mr J's on Halsted, then pull into the elementary school parking lot to eat lunch and watch some hot Thursday CPL Action! In a battle of the charter schools, a buddy of mine always takes the Nobles. This dude also always brings meat sticks to games. Clearly a guy that knows stuff.
Take The Johnson!

Hyde Park vs Dunbar
As I've mentioned, Mr. T. graduated from Dunbar. Just so happens that the other day I caught the end of the classic Mr. T. movie, DC Cab. After saving some kids, the cabbies get celebrated with a parade down Pennsylvania Ave. Parades are annoying. Even more annoying is that parades, which take place outside, are being cancelled. Not that this has anything to do with this football game....but Mr. T!
Take Hyde Park

Little Village vs Dyett
Tell me that Little Village's mascot shouldn't be the People. Tonight's game would pit the Little Village People vs. the Dyett Plans! That would be awesome. You know it.
Power to the People!

Butler vs Fenger
Clearly you know how this works...
FINGERS!

When I was in elementary school, I had class with a kid named Collins. Not Collin. Not Colin. Not Colon, but Collins. It was his first name. I remember it, because he used to cry when people forgot the s. Crazy. I haven't thought of Crying Collins in 40 years.
Collin!

Senn vs Roosevelt
This is a tough one. I always pick the Presidents. I always Pick the DAWGS! I'm sure Teddy Roosevelt had a dog, he had to own a dog. He had a pet bear and a pet badger! A real animal lover. I'm sure that dog was awesome. Which is why, even The Bull Moose himself would pick the DAWGS!!!! to win this one

Orr vs Michelle Clark
Lots of talk about Michelle being a top CPS team. Lots of talk about Michelle being able to grind it out on the ground. I'm not much for talking. I'm way more about doing. Big difference between talking and actually doing. Plus, if this game is at Orr, I'm getting some nachos across the street!
ROW THE BOAT!

Loyola vs Phillips
Honestly, everyone needs to take in a Phillips night game at Mandrake Park. It's seriously cool. Football field surrounded by a giant traffic circle. No stands. Just little berms to stand/sit on. Fans practically on the field around the whole thing. If this was a night game at Mandrake, it is Phillips all the way. Somehow, this is a 4:15 start in Wilmette. Advantage Loyola? Sorry Cake Eaters, Phillips is a CPS school that knows it's way around a 4:15 start. The only thing saving Loyola from getting completely trounced is that they wisely didn't schedule it on a Thursday.
Phillips!

Well we're down to just 2 weeks left in this football spring season. It has been a weird year but this football season has brought us some sense of normalcy. 4:15 Gatley Dogs on a Thursday and the world is a better place.

This is the 4:15 Thursday game of the week! And man is it a great one! Everyone loves the Noble Johnson. The noblest of all the Nobles it looks like the Johnson has only played 1 game this year(according to MaxPreps so who knows if it's accurate) which is a shame because they tend to be a contender for the Noble Bowl. Big fan of the Noble Johnson and hey it's 2021 so the fact that they have just played 1 game is fine and I can still pick them.
The Noble Johnson 27 Catalyst Maria 6

Hyde Park vs Dunbar
I am not sure what has happened to Dunbar. The Mightymen are 0-3 and not looking very mighty mighty. Hyde Park is one of the few teams I don't believe I have ever seen in the CPL. But I have seen Hyde Park wrestle and they got sweet singlets. Also Hyde Park is the Thunderbirds! My HS OC drove a Thunderbird, it was an awesome car and we could score some points!
Thunderbirds 54 Dunbar 14

Little Village vs Dyett
They say it takes a village to raise a child. If the village is a little one do you need multiple villages to raise that child? One of the positives of the pandemic is I changed my diet and lost some lbs. The one problem with losing the weight is nothing fits right anymore. Had to go buy a new belt last week not that I am venturing out into the world again. When in the world did belts become so expensive! Diets are overrated, bring on the beer and fried foods!
Little Village 14 Dyett 8

Butler vs Fenger
FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fenger 32 Butler 0

Soooooo I look at MaxPreps to see what North Lawndale is doing. The ever unreliable MP tells me that North Lawndale lost to Clemente 8-2...in OT. I want to see a game that at the end of regulation was 2-2. Man only in the CPL, you all are missing out if you're not checking out some Thursday mid afternoon/late evening games you are missing out! The Collins quadruplets have left Lake View and that's the only Collins I know of.
The Phoenix Rise 30 Collins 12

Senn vs Roosevelt
Looks like Roosevelt may be getting their first game this week. Doesn't matter, no games or 10 games they aint ready for the DAWGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
DAWGZ 24 Roosevelt 0

Orr vs Michelle Clark
Orr has struggled to Row The Boat so far this spring and seem to be taking on water. Michelle Clark started out hot but struggled last week after Percy said to take Clark getting 14 points. Percy I trusted you and I lost a lot of money on that game! In a normal league I'd say pound the 2-1 team over the 0-2 game. BUT not so fast my friend, there is nothing that is normal about CPL football, especially in the Spring. We rowing the boats this weekend!
Orr 24 Michelle Clark 12

Loyola vs Phillips
I don't get Phillips vs Simeon this year so I'll happily take Loyola vs Phillips instead. Not quite sure about this 4:15 kick, seems a little shady to me. I know this game, like the previous one will be at Loyola. Personally I would love to see the Loyola team make their way down to Mandrake, now that would be an experience! If at Mandrake I would lay all my money on Phillips, with it being at Loyola I'm leaning towards placing a wager similar to my Clark with the 14 last week. Hopefully the Wildcats don't let me down!
Phillips 14 Loyola 7

Loyola big.

That’s not how this works. I need analysis, or a story about Wilson Phillips or how you’re a ramblin’ man. “Loyola big” is not fun or creative!
Let me take a stab at it.
Arguably the most famous Loyola graduate is Bill Murray. Bill Murray starred in one of the greatest movies of all time, Caddyshack. In the same movie, Old Crony #2 was played by a guy named Phillip. Star of the movie went to Loyola. Guy named Phillip gets a role as the second Old Crony. If I'm picking winners, I'm picking stars. Sorry Phil, maybe if you could have nailed the audition and gotten Old Crony #1, I'd give you some play.
I'm going Gopher Hunting!
Take Loyola BIG!!!!

Arguably the most famous Loyola graduate is Bill Murray. Bill Murray starred in one of the greatest movies of all time, Caddyshack. In the same movie, Old Crony #2 was played by a guy named Phillip. Star of the movie went to Loyola. Guy named Phillip gets a role as the second Old Crony. If I'm picking winners, I'm picking stars. Sorry Phil, maybe if you could have nailed the audition and gotten Old Crony #1, I'd give you some play.
Take Loyola BIG!!!!
That right there is graduate level. So good you should charge for it!

Take Loyola BIG!!!!
Some people get it and some people don’t. GhostoftheGhost gets it!

Can some at least find out where @Coach Percy is? I am getting kinda worried about him so with that being said if coach is no where to be found ORR rows those boats right pass clark. Also coach percy does own me some beers that I expect to being drink either tonight after the game or tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Can some at least find out where @Coach Percy is? I am getting kinda worried about him so with that being said if coach is no where to be found ORR rows those boats right pass clark. Also coach percy does own me some beers that I expect to being drink either tonight after the game or tomorrow.
As former Head Track Coach at Orr for 7 yrs, there is no talking need to be done in this game. #Gametime

Clark wins by forfeit. Orr didn't have enough players and it wasnt because of Covid

Did it involve 4 forfeits, Jaton standing at midfield reading the rulebook, and a random collect of mismatched teams getting ready to "scrimmage" because that seems the most likely scenario to me...
Not exactly. I hit up Margarita's Pizza on 79th and Marquette. Pick up some grub and head over to the stadium. Roll in about 3:30 for the 4pm start. Two teams with 16 kids roll off the busses. 1 or 2 coaches each side. Linemen wearing number 7. Coaches on the field drawing up special teams. Pure football for the love of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT