ADVERTISEMENT

Could not be more excited for Souc

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Named today as the new sports editor of the Joliet Herald News....just very happy for Souc and his family. Souc basically had a rough ride after the Kankakee paper disaster but hung in there and kept fighting...and will now take over the reins of one of the best HS sports areas in the state.

Love seeing one of our own here succeed.

Soucie named as the new Joliet Herald News sports editor

Great news for those in the Joliet Herald coverage as well.

Congrats Souc.

I was very happy to read this in the paper recently. Very good choice.

An update for those of you who have missed it. It is 2018. That paper hasn't been called The "Joliet" Herald News for years. It is simply called The Herald-News. It isn't even printed in Joliet anymore. It's printed in Schaumburg.

I know. It seems minor. Ninety-nine percent of the people I know who still call it the Joliet Herald News are seniors. :):p

I was very happy to read this in the paper recently. Very good choice.

An update for those of you who have missed it. It is 2018. That paper hasn't been called The "Joliet" Herald News for years. It is simply called The Herald-News. It isn't even printed in Joliet anymore. It's printed in Schaumburg.

I know. It seems minor. Ninety-nine percent of the people I know who still call it the Joliet Herald News are seniors. :):p
I think Joliet is used more as an adjective than to say that it is the official name of the paper. Statewide, it makes sense to call it the Joliet Herald because that makes it clear whichnpaper you're referring to. If you're talking to some on in the immediate area, then you are correct that there is no clarifier needed.

I think Joliet is used more as an adjective than to say that it is the official name of the paper. Statewide, it makes sense to call it the Joliet Herald because that makes it clear whichnpaper you're referring to. If you're talking to some on in the immediate area, then you are correct that there is no clarifier needed.
Statewide? Are you kidding? How many people outside our area have actually even heard of that paper? (don't count the people who follow HS sports) There are several papers outside the large cities that don't use the name of the town they are published in or any city name.

All I said is, it hasn't been called the "Joliet" Herald News for years and I guarantee you fewer and fewer people here call it by that name. And even fewer people outside this area call it by that name...that is if they are familiar with it in the first place.

Reactions: penlight
Raider Herald?
Hopefully, with the changes that are bound to come, maybe some of the love will be spread a little more equally among all the teams here instead of giving more love to one catholic high school that happens to be in Joliet. That is the only complaint I had over the years...and it was obvious.

In my little corner if the world, it will forever be The Joliet Herald News.
Now please pass me the Geritol, would you?
Geritol? Wow, I can't remember the last time I heard that word. Does Geritol exist anymore? What does that stuff even taste like?

Dang, you must be pretty old to be past the blue pill stage and into the Geritol stage. :):)

Hopefully, with the changes that are bound to come, maybe some of the love will be spread a little more equally among all the teams here instead of giving more love to one catholic high school that happens to be in Joliet. That is the only complaint I had over the years...and it was obvious.
I'm sure they'll still cater to where their bread is buttered. More clicks = more articles. But perhaps we'll see a little more coverage for the other schools, but this area has a lot of schools to cover so we'll see how it goes.

I thought Dick did a great job and I'm sure Souc will continue. I think the important part is that we know those guys love football so the coverage should reflect it.

Geritol? Wow, I can't remember the last time I heard that word. Does Geritol exist anymore? What does that stuff even taste like?

Dang, you must be pretty old to be past the blue pill stage and into the Geritol stage. :):)

Watch your mouth there sonny-boy or I might crack you with this cane!

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Statewide? Are you kidding? How many people outside our area have actually even heard of that paper? (don't count the people who follow HS sports) There are several papers outside the large cities that don't use the name of the town they are published in or any city name.

All I said is, it hasn't been called the "Joliet" Herald News for years and I guarantee you fewer and fewer people here call it by that name. And even fewer people outside this area call it by that name...that is if they are familiar with it in the first place.
That's exactly my point. It's a relatively small paper so if you just say herald news nobody in Peoria knows what you mean. So add the adjective.

Just like the news Gazette in champaign. The town name is not actually in the title but when you mention it to someone outside of East central illinois you would be wise to add the town name.

Don't know why you're so upset about people specifying what they are talking about.

That's exactly my point. It's a relatively small paper so if you just say herald news nobody in Peoria knows what you mean. So add the adjective.

Just like the news Gazette in champaign. The town name is not actually in the title but when you mention it to someone outside of East central illinois you would be wise to add the town name.

Don't know why you're so upset about people specifying what they are talking about.
No one here really had to specify where it was from. Honestly, I am not at all upset about it. Actually, I think it's kind of funny how some people cling to their nostalgia. It reminds me of when I was a kid in grade school and some of the old timers still called Route 53, Route 66. And they didn't say Route 66, they said "Root" 66. And yet people say Route 30, Route 53, etc.

And seriously, how many people in Peoria really care or know what the local paper here is called or care about specification? Twenty people, 30? What? Most of them don't even read the Trib or Sun-Times. You are giving that paper far too much credit for reaching areas it doesn't reach.

I simply call the paper by the name they publish on the front page which is proper. If someone were to ask me where it is published I'd say in Schaumburg but it covers Will County news and mostly local HS sports in the Joliet, New Lenox, Plainfield and Lockport areas, (with more coverage of JCA). :) I am not sure why you have a problem with that.

Are you a subscriber to the Herald News? I am and get a printed paper at my door every day except Saturday because they don't publish a Saturday edition. I just looked at the front page again and right there in black and white it says The Herald News. I know there are some who still think it's Joliet's paper and it isn't anymore. Yeah the office and newsroom is on Oneida in Joliet. But it's a paper that serves the county which is probably why the name got changed years ago in the first place.

Maybe I am sounding trivial to you and that's OK. You call it one thing and I call it what I read. No harm.;)

I'm sure they'll still cater to where their bread is buttered. More clicks = more articles. But perhaps we'll see a little more coverage for the other schools, but this area has a lot of schools to cover so we'll see how it goes.

I thought Dick did a great job and I'm sure Souc will continue. I think the important part is that we know those guys love football so the coverage should reflect it.
I agree with you. He did an outstanding job and I thought he would be hard to replace. But The Herald News replaced him with someone just as good...to their credit. I just talk about the extra coverage of JCA, which is an undeniable fact. That was going on long before any of us were clicking on anything or had the ability to.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I agree with you. He did an outstanding job and I thought he would be hard to replace. But The Herald News replaced him with someone just as good...to their credit. I just talk about the extra coverage of JCA, which is an undeniable fact. That was going on long before any of us were clicking on anything or had the ability to.
There was a poster here awhile back called Porters77 (I believe that was his handle), who referred to the Herald News as the Joliet Catholic Herald News. Thought you might appreciate that. Although, you may have taken him to task for including Joliet in the name.

Two things ... this has been bothering me ... @EdgyTim What if Souc won the lotto or earns a Pulitzer - could you be more excited for him?

Also, you need to add the city name for a local paper. PERFECT EXAMPLE today. I was Googling a friend's father who played in the NFL after chatting with my friend last night. Searching for Mike Magac, I came across an article titled the Best of East St. Louis.

They lede starting with saying the hometown of Terry Hawthorne has produced many greats ... but I I could not understand why some random paper would focus on ESL athletes.

I knew it was not local STL media - I just the banner News-Gazette. So I went to the Contact Us page - they don't list an address (maybe in this day and age, media outlets keep their physical location private.) Only when I saw a 217 telephone number did a piece together that this was a central IL paper. More digging lead me to it being Champaign - and THAT was the tie-in to Terry Hawthorne and ESL.

Anyway, here is the link to the article - it's interesting.
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2012-08-11/best-east-st-louis.html

Agreed, but even back then they know where the papers are sold. Not too long ago but long enough ago where the print was still popular I lived in Aurora and would have to drive to Plainfield to get my copy on the days they did their football coverage. I wonder if that made them cover Plainfield schools more as opposed to the Beloved... Guess we'll never know.

I would say The Herald's primary school is/was JCA, but I'm glad The Herald maintained their coverage area after not being Sun affiliated because the Southtown didn't pick us up and Neither did the Naperville Sun (which is the closest), and the Bolingbrook Sun folded. The Daily Herald only covers the DuPage part. We were in no man's land. At least you have DiSabato and the Southtown!

What was the deal with that coverage area anyways? Southtown and Joliet Herald probably had 75% overlap

Agreed, but even back then they know where the papers are sold. Not too long ago but long enough ago where the print was still popular I lived in Aurora and would have to drive to Plainfield to get my copy on the days they did their football coverage. I wonder if that made them cover Plainfield schools more as opposed to the Beloved... Guess we'll never know.

I would say The Herald's primary school is/was JCA, but I'm glad The Herald maintained their coverage area after not being Sun affiliated because the Southtown didn't pick us up and Neither did the Naperville Sun (which is the closest), and the Bolingbrook Sun folded. The Daily Herald only covers the DuPage part. We were in no man's land. At least you have DiSabato and the Southtown!

What was the deal with that coverage area anyways? Southtown and Joliet Herald probably had 75% overlap
And I agree with you too. You won't find more comprehensive local HS sports coverage than The Herald News. They have always been very strong in that regard and they still do an outstanding job. And they have always done it in a classy way without second-guessing coaches or players. I hope that doesn't change.

There was a poster here awhile back called Porters77 (I believe that was his handle), who referred to the Herald News as the Joliet Catholic Herald News. Thought you might appreciate that. Although, you may have taken him to task for including Joliet in the name.
Actually that's kind of funny. But I don't know if I'd go that far.

Maybe 25 years ago or so, I never really paid attention to it. But I wasn't following HS sports all that much either. Then, maybe 20 years ago or so a guy I know from Providence pointed it out. What I am saying here is about as mild as it gets compared to what he was saying.

Anyway, I did start to pay attention and damned if he wasn't right. I wouldn't go as far as to use the word blatant. But I would say definite.

All I am doing here is telling the truth about the Joliet Catholic coverage as compared to all the other schools in the area. If that offends some people I can't help that. What is interesting is that no one here from JCA is denying it. We all know it.

And I know there are some who want to justify it. But, I know people will try and justify anything in this world...including murder...which isn't the case here. So, now that we all know and admit it, let's move on, please.

And I know there are some who want to justify it. But, I know people will try and justify anything in this world...including murder...which isn't the case here. So, now that we all know and admit it, let's move on, please.
No problem. After all, you are the one who brought it up.

Two things ... this has been bothering me ... @EdgyTim What if Souc won the lotto or earns a Pulitzer - could you be more excited for him?

Also, you need to add the city name for a local paper. PERFECT EXAMPLE today. I was Googling a friend's father who played in the NFL after chatting with my friend last night. Searching for Mike Magac, I came across an article titled the Best of East St. Louis.

They lede starting with saying the hometown of Terry Hawthorne has produced many greats ... but I I could not understand why some random paper would focus on ESL athletes.

I knew it was not local STL media - I just the banner News-Gazette. So I went to the Contact Us page - they don't list an address (maybe in this day and age, media outlets keep their physical location private.) Only when I saw a 217 telephone number did a piece together that this was a central IL paper. More digging lead me to it being Champaign - and THAT was the tie-in to Terry Hawthorne and ESL.

Anyway, here is the link to the article - it's interesting.
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2012-08-11/best-east-st-louis.html
Perfect example crusader. All local papers need the town included as a descriptor unless you are in the center of their circulation area and everyone knows what you are referring to.

And yes the Herald News has been JC centric in the past and often still is. PC also gets sizeable coverage. After that they seem to spread it out pretty evenly. Hopefully Soucie keeps it the Daily Hiltopper!!

Reactions: penlight and pjjp
As with WJOL, it has been a story of bread and butter.
Good business decisions by both and the data that drives their directions supports those decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT