ADVERTISEMENT

Complacency kills...

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
...whether the opponent is a virus or another football team. I'm sure you guys are aware of some epic upsets of stronger, overconfident teams by teams that had no business being on the same field as them.

What are some of the biggest upsets in IHSA history? Tim, do you have any flashback videos that demonstrate the point?

Kenwood over Rita 1986
CVS over Rita 1989
DLS over MC 1993

Wheaton Central over Richards

That was a good article. And then the following week Wheaton beat a 12-0 Joliet Catholic team, only to lose the championship game to MC. Carmel QB Mike McGrew threw four interceptions in that game but redeemed himself with a 41-yard TD run in the final 45 seconds.

Last edited:
DLS beating MC in 1993 in McNabbs senior year was a killer. DLS had a good team that year, I think they were 7-2 going into the playoffs, but MC beat them 33-0 two weeks earlier and DLS was using their second string QB on the fly since their starter hurt his hand that morning. He was a Soph too.

CG over Morgan Park 21-14 in the 2004 semis, taking them to their first ever title game which they lost 13-3 to Libertyville. CG was the underdog going in Gately.

Reactions: footballfan 44
1997 Glenbard West over WWS at Grange Field. WWS was 2 time defending champs and Hitters were in the middle of a terrible stretch.

LWE East over Lockport in the first round of the playoffs, 2004. Can't think of a bigger one. Lockport had just won two 8A championships in a row and were 9-0 during the 2004 season. They were ranked number 1 from the start of the season till that night. I wouldn't necessarily call it complacency. But, I would definitely call it overconfidence.

CG over Morgan Park 21-14 in the 2004 semis, taking them to their first ever title game which they lost 13-3 to Libertyville. CG was the underdog going in Gately.
I remember that game! One of the first games I watched online. I’ll never forget Demetrius Jones probably threw 30 deep routes that weren’t caught.

Reactions: greatgig13
I remember that game! One of the first games I watched online. I’ll never forget Demetrius Jones probably threw 30 deep routes that weren’t caught.
MP was loaded with talent that year. It was basically the game that got CG noticed.

Reactions: Gene K.
LWE East over Lockport in the first round of the playoffs, 2004. Can't think of a bigger one. Lockport had just won two 8A championships in a row and were 9-0 during the 2004 season. They were ranked number 1 from the start of the season till that night. I wouldn't necessarily call it complacency. But, I would definitely call it overconfidence.

Try LWE over Sandburg in 2001 40-39. Sandburg was conference champs and LWE was anew school with all juniors. This game got them in the playoffs

1983 Buffalo Grove 34 Loyola 0

Loyola #1 in the state and nationally ranked

Although LWE over LP in 2004 was huge and I was at the game when my son was a Jr on the team. He played DE it was unreal but given the score of the Buffalo Grove Loyola game. I would have to give that game the edge of the biggest upset. WOW 34-0. No one saw that coming. ThIs is the reason we all love HS Football!

Reactions: The Outfit
1983 Buffalo Grove 34 Loyola 0

Loyola #1 in the state and nationally ranked
I had a bunch of buddies on this LA team. To say their heads were pretty big going into this season/game would be an understatement. They did have a ton of talent on this team

Another happened in 1986 - Althoff v Alleman in the semis on the road. This is the Althoff squad that beat Granite City the week after they took down East Side. They did not give up points ... they were killers.

And insane partiers ... and some unwise events occurred at the hotel the night before the game and they get WHALLOPED 47-6. There were brawls multiple times. And multiple pukers on the field.

There may have been corporal punishment during a MANDATED post-game practice after the long bus ride home ... it was a dark day in Belleville.
0_0_3878_6596.jpg

Another happened in 1986 - Althoff v Alleman in the semis on the road. This is the Althoff squad that beat Granite City the week after they took down East Side. They did not give up points ... they were killers.

And insane partiers ... and some unwise events occurred at the hotel the night before the game and they get WHALLOPED 47-6. There were brawls multiple times. And multiple pukers on the field.

There may have been corporal punishment during a MANDATED post-game practice after the long bus ride home ... it was a dark day in Belleville.
0_0_3878_6596.jpg
WOW! An All-Season tire for only $29.95? What a deal!

2010 Jacksonville 52 SHG 47 1st round of playoffs, after SHG won 63-27 in regular season.

2013 SHG 38 Montini 28 state title game. Montini denied 5th straight 5a title. After taking an early 21-7 lead, Montini faltered and SHG scored 31 unanswered points. SHG defense was relentless in the 2nd half. Ken Leonard was as fired up as I’ve ever seen, including jawing with Montini fans at halftime after SHG made a goal line stand. Ken also played the Chicago media gave us no chance card well before and after the game.

2014 Rochester 49 Phillips 28 state title game. Phillips had given up only 58 points all season. They had a great story that got a lot of media play and Rochester had 2 losses, including being running clocked by SHG, and numerous injuries. After a close 1st half, Rochester got a late score and then poured it on in the 3rd leading 46-12 at one point. IMO, Derek’s best coaching in a state title game.

I had a bunch of buddies on this LA team. To say their heads were pretty big going into this season/game would be an understatement. They did have a ton of talent on this team

That BG team went 3-6 (the IHSA site is wrong), but that set the stage for going to the semis the next two years, where we lost to ESL (state champs in '84) and ESL again (national champs in '85), before finally breaking through as state champs in '86.

1991 Chicago Suntimes team of the year I believe were the Providence Catholic Celtics? I could be wrong.

They were absolutely amazing that year! SPEED all over defensively!

1994 Providence upset of Brother Rice (Birminham Michigan who was ranked top ten nationally) another amazing upset! Led by HOF coach Al Francesca Bro Rice came down and got HAMMERED! Dont thing they ever defended the Middle trap before!!! That year PC was picked to go 3-6/4-5!!!

0_0_3878_6596.jpg
Alleman of Rock Island actually defeated 4 previously undefeated teams in the 1986 Class 4A playoffs before falling to Tinley Park HS (12-2 on the season ) in the title game. Alleman downed unblemished Geneseo, Washington & Springfield Griffin before the semi win over Althoff.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I believe 3/4 years back I remember Hinsdale South 16 seed upsetting Richard's 1 seed

I could be wrong.

You may be right. Providence won the 4A state championship that year, beating Bloomington 9-3. Mount Carmel won it in 5A, beating Wheaton Central in a thriller. I have no idea if MC played Providence during the season, but if they did, it would have been a factor. '91 was the year that Mike Alstott and Simeon Rice were seniors. The Trib said that MC probably had the best defense in the state. Which brings us to the present. Since sports writers have so much influence in the sport, they should vote for a state champion in each class. I feel bad that they couldn't defend their title, but MC, indisputably, should harvest most of the votes for 7A.

Last edited:
MC and Providence first played in 1998. For those of us lucky enough to witness it at a rockin' and rollin' Gately Stadium, it was a classic to say the least

Yes, the State championship game wasn't as good. Guess it's tough to have two "Game of the Century " in one year

Yes, the State championship game wasn't as good. Guess it's tough to have two "Game of the Century " in one year

The real game of the century was never played in ‘98 it was only talked about.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT