ADVERTISEMENT

Coalers over JCA

Congrats to our boys on taking down a loaded JCA team! Best of luck to the seniors on both teams moving forward!
Tough loss for the Hilltoppers, but I was very impressed by Coal City. They were the better team on Saturday. Good luck moving forward.

3A looks really wide open with Chatham Glenwood and Coal City losing last night. No idea who would be considered the favorite.

In 4A, I'd say Sandburg is the favorite.

PJJP
It was sad to hear the JCA fans were somewhat unruly toward the umpires following the JCA loss on Saturday.

That isn't much of a surprise.

I will not blame the umps for the loss, but the home plate umpire had the worst ball/strike zone I have seen in 30 years of watching high school baseball. He was an absolute embarrassment to the game.

Reactions: pjjp
With good teams, especially Catholic schools where parents are paying there is a huge sense of entitlement. This isn’t a JCA problem, it’s all over now. Nowadays there is always someone to blame, instead of simply getting beat by a better team or even having a bad day it’s the refs (umps) fault or it’s the coaches. Basically no accountability is taught, therefore coaching and officiating is the “worst it’s ever been”.

With good teams, especially Catholic schools where parents are paying there is a huge sense of entitlement. This isn’t a JCA problem, it’s all over now. Nowadays there is always someone to blame, instead of simply getting beat by a better team or even having a bad day it’s the refs (umps) fault or it’s the coaches. Basically no accountability is taught, therefore coaching and officiating is the “worst it’s ever been”.

I disagree with you. There is some of that, but the vast majority of high school athletes and coaches I know own up when they are beat and take accountability for their losses. People have been complaining about coaches and bad umps/refs since sports began. This is not a new "thing".

That being said, If you read my post about the JCA/Coal CIty game, I clearly stated the umps did not cost JCA the game and the better team won that day. However, umps and refs do have bad days and I do not see the problem of pointing it out.

Still reeling from our loss... Very proud of our boys though. The future looks bright for us with a young core. As far as the umpiring in the JCA game, I would have to agree with USD. It was without question the toughest zone we saw all season. I like Plainfield North in 4A, If I had to pick 3A, I would say Naz purely based on the competition they have played.

Still reeling from our loss... Very proud of our boys though. The future looks bright for us with a young core. As far as the umpiring in the JCA game, I would have to agree with USD. It was without question the toughest zone we saw all season. I like Plainfield North in 4A, If I had to pick 3A, I would say Naz purely based on the competition they have played.
Agree with you on Naz. Good pitching and solid defense.

Come playoff time anything can happen. I watched Montini lose to Naz 2-0. Good game with Naz scoring the 2 runs in the 6th inning. Second year in a row we lost to Naz after winning out regional. Didn't realize that Naz was a sixth place team in the ESCC.

Montini was co champions with Fenwick in the CCL Green with a lot of sophs and one freshmen starting. Lookout for Montini next year and the following year in 3A.

If Naz wins, it would also be the fourth different ESCC to win 3a in the last 7 years.

Shame that they didn't get to play St. Ignatius in the final. Montini split it's series with Ignatius. Won the first one 10-5 and lost the second 7-6 in extra innings.

3A looks really wide open with Chatham Glenwood and Coal City losing last night. No idea who would be considered the favorite.

In 4A, I'd say Sandburg is the favorite.

I thought Sandburg would be able to win out too, based on that lineup. Guess I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT