ADVERTISEMENT

Class action lawsuit now filed

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001

Thought JB or IDPH would be listed but looks like it's just against IHSA

Theoretically they could do what some of the other states have done: said OK, the state's guidelines are just that- guidelines, we'll take our power back and reinstate sports. Force the government to pass a law or legally shut them down, which none of the other states have done. Which is why this may make sense. The actual power to do anything still lies with the IHSA. Everything from JB and IDPH is only backed up with words and non-binding PDFs of charts on a website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Good point. Would be interesting to see how many school districts would be ok with not following the guidelines. I sure there would be some that would not while plenty that would

Good point. Would be interesting to see how many school districts would be ok with not following the guidelines. I sure there would be some that would not while plenty that would
Yes for sure. I believe in many of the other states they were giving that option to schools who didn't want to. Or let those schools play in spring on own.

Its too late to start people have already made plans and adjusted the other seasons you do this then you have to change everything else. Plus how many schools are going to allow full contact sports when they are not allowing students back full time or at all. And if you say they are doing contact days mow IT is not CONTACT and if they are they are breaking the rules.

Reactions: Gene K.
Schools will jump at the chance to do contact sports as long as IHSA says go ahead. You think the majority of ADs, principals, boards, coaches and parents would rather wait until February? I think it will be massive shift in positivity to make a schedule work right now if given the green light.

Not 100% sure this is a good idea but who knows.

A.D.s would love to have football in October -December Over February-April for many reasons. First, outdoor conditions are worse in Feb-April. Oct-Dec is cold, but Feb-April is cold and very wet. Game fields and practice fields will be destroyed. Higher chance of having to move football, soccer and field hockey indoors. Limited space and who knows what indoor guidelines there will be. Oct-Dec much better. And even with a late start...seasons can be more legit with some sort of post season.

Edgy wrote this back on July 14:

"IHSA To Defer To IDPH, ISBE & Governor's Office On All Return To Play Guidelines Moving Forward

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) announced on July 14, 2020 that it will defer to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), and the Governor’s Office on all of its Return To Play Guidelines moving forward."

THIS is why we are where we are right now. The IHSA punted the ball to the governor and he decided to play ball control. If the IHSA had not abdicated responsibility, and had they proceeded with the fall sports season with appropriate precautions/restrictions, I think we would be in a very different place right now.

It baffles me why most of the ire on this board, relative to high school sports, is directed at the governor and not the IHSA.

Last edited:
Edgy wrote this back on July 14:

"IHSA To Defer To IDPH, ISBE & Governor's Office On All Return To Play Guidelines Moving Forward

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) announced on July 14, 2020 that it will defer to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), and the Governor’s Office on all of its Return To Play Guidelines moving forward."

THIS is why we are where we are right now. The IHSA punted the ball to the governor and he decided to play ball control. If the IHSA had not abdicated responsibility, and had they proceeded with the fall sports season with appropriate precautions/restrictions, I think we would be in a very different place right now.

It baffles me why most of the ire on this board, relative to high school sports, is directed at the governor and not the IHSA.
And the do nothing AD's.

And the do nothing AD's.
In my observation, most ADs put in a lot of time and do a good job with the management issues for which they are charged. I can not envision most of them going out of their lane to spearhead issues of the magnitude that are being proposed. I am not surprised we are not seeing them step beyond the chain of command involving the principal, superintendent and school board to lead any high-profile initiatives well in the public eye.

Reactions: Zebra
To me, it seems like we, the public, are unwittingly part of seeing a shell game unfolding in front of us. We are trying to find the pea in shells labelled with JB, IHSA and IDPH. Which shell is hiding the actual decision-maker is our challenge.

It's not up to the ADs to put pressure on the IHSA. Even if they were to put pressure, it would be meaningless. The IHSA is an association of member schools. The schools are the voting members, and the people behind those votes are the principals. If anything, the ADs should be putting pressure on their principals to, in turn, put pressure on the IHSA.

I'm fairly certain a while back you were the one that said to call your AD's and the IHSA. That being said I did both, as well as, the principal. Considering my AD is the president of the AD's in Illinois and he is basically conceding to the guidelines and so is the principal, I'm comfortable with my view, they aren't doing anything.

Never said that.

Regardless, my view is that they aren't the ones who should be doing something. It's their bosses.

Never said that.

Regardless, my view is that they aren't the ones who should be doing something. It's their bosses.
You're right, I went back and looked. Either way, their bosses aren't doing anything and they really aren't asking them too either. Works both ways when they (the school and the Athletic department) reach out for support.

Lets be realistic. Is football coming back like the Big 10 and PAC 12 finally decided to play? Doubt it, even if people want it to. We are too far along the process. Your first game would likely be the normal last week of the regular season...and thereby wreck the great majority of the school's winter sports because the great majority of schools can't play football & soccer and support their basketball & wrestling teams...

But what the lawsuit might be able to do is put the IHSA under a court order setting forth specific schedules for the sports. Winter sports will have guidelines for games, dates, etc. that can be court enforced. Wrestling can be ordered to happen. Do we need to compress basketball & wrestling in order to get fall sports into the "hole" between winter and spring? Lets get a court order saying exactly how that is to happen. Maybe the order sets forth the playoffs system...

I would be interested to see if IDPH decides to intervene in the lawsuit...

Lets be realistic. Is football coming back like the Big 10 and PAC 12 finally decided to play? Doubt it, even if people want it to. We are too far along the process. Your first game would likely be the normal last week of the regular season...and thereby wreck the great majority of the school's winter sports because the great majority of schools can't play football & soccer and support their basketball & wrestling teams...

But what the lawsuit might be able to do is put the IHSA under a court order setting forth specific schedules for the sports. Winter sports will have guidelines for games, dates, etc. that can be court enforced. Wrestling can be ordered to happen. Do we need to compress basketball & wrestling in order to get fall sports into the "hole" between winter and spring? Lets get a court order saying exactly how that is to happen. Maybe the order sets forth the playoffs system...

I would be interested to see if IDPH decides to intervene in the lawsuit...
Agree, the suit IMO is more about winter sports and a clear path forward for Spring.

Does anyone know of any association or league not following the guidelines? All the youth tackle football leagues canceled. No park districts are running real leagues. Travel soccer, basketball, volleyball have no leagues or tournaments. Hockey has nothing. Hard to blame the IHSA if they are just following the guidelines like everyone else.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I’m not fimilar with this part of the legal system but I know they are asking for a temporary restraining order to allow fall sports to immediately resume while the rest of this gets hashed out. If it’s granted, I’m guessing their will be every attempt to have a season begin by October 16th, the latest October 23rd and have a shortened season finishing on Dec 11th.

A big driving point of this lawsuit is that players and families want to compete so they can be seen by colleges and try to earn scholarship money. Financial stress and hardship is part of the lawsuit. You can make all the videos of a player running sprints, drills and lifting, in the end they want to see them play and see how they respond in game situations.

Right now we can forget about State Championships, this will be to get players noticed and free up time so they can compete in other winter and spring sports.

Does anyone know of any association or league not following the guidelines? All the youth tackle football leagues canceled. No park districts are running real leagues. Travel soccer, basketball, volleyball have no leagues or tournaments. Hockey has nothing. Hard to blame the IHSA if they are just following the guidelines like everyone else.
However, IL is such an outlier with regard to HS football, especially considering what is currently allowed in surrounding states, the IHSA is subject to deserved scrutiny.

I can't whether there is league play. But, I have seen travel baseball pretty much all summer. I saw games yesterday going on at Lockport's high school field, at Ingalls Park in Joliet and at a complex in New Lenox. I wouldn't doubt there are and have been baseball games all over this area.

I’m confused because a person I know is posting pictures of her kid playing Pop Warner in Park Ridge.

I can't whether there is league play. But, I have seen travel baseball pretty much all summer. I saw games yesterday going on at Lockport's high school field, at Ingalls Park in Joliet and at a complex in New Lenox. I wouldn't doubt there are and have been baseball games all over this area.
Baseball/Softball are going with "friendlies" and league play. Tournaments aren't supposed to be allowed, but I haven't really checked to see if that is being enforced or not because my daughters softball team doesn't do fall tournaments anyway. The guidelines only allow baseball/softball as "low risk" if players stay 6' apart when not on the field (no using dugouts, etc.). Enforcement of that varies greatly from location to location.

Travel baseball is 100 percent happening.

Reactions: USD24
Baseball and softball have been going for awhile. All the other sports were going until August 15 and then every association shut them down.

Agree that most sports have been going on. Travel basketball was alive and well this summer in some IL gyms and other states. Dance classes, gymnastic classes, you name it. And now that we have college football and NFL happening along with HS football in other states, it's important to remember there STILL is no irrefutable proof that covid has been transmitted DURING a sport. Testing has sure found cases in athletes, but zero proof anywhere that a sport (any sport) was the cause of transmission. Despite what JBs doctors say. No proof. And there never will be...because it's impossible to prove the second any person related in a chain of cases was found to leave their house at all.

Agree that most sports have been going on. Travel basketball was alive and well this summer in some IL gyms and other states. Dance classes, gymnastic classes, you name it. And now that we have college football and NFL happening along with HS football in other states, it's important to remember there STILL is no irrefutable proof that covid has been transmitted DURING a sport. Testing has sure found cases in athletes, but zero proof anywhere that a sport (any sport) was the cause of transmission. Despite what JBs doctors say. No proof. And there never will be...because it's impossible to prove the second any person related in a chain of cases was found to leave their house at all.
Contact tracing isn't an exact science. I think a person is probably in more danger when he or she walks into a store than when they play a contact sport.

Baseball/Softball are going with "friendlies" and league play. Tournaments aren't supposed to be allowed, but I haven't really checked to see if that is being enforced or not because my daughters softball team doesn't do fall tournaments anyway. The guidelines only allow baseball/softball as "low risk" if players stay 6' apart when not on the field (no using dugouts, etc.). Enforcement of that varies greatly from location to location.
My daughter played in softball tourney all weekend, they won:).. She's been playing consistently since May..

Baseball and softball have been going for awhile. All the other sports were going until August 15 and then every association shut them down.

Remember, IESA reinstated fall sports. Baseball & Softball IESA Regional finals were this weekend...hosted by higher seed, Manteno won Softball, Bourbonnais UGS won Baseball. But that was the end of the season, sectionals cancelled.

Technically under the state guidelines sports aren't cancelled, just what can be done is highly regulated. Football can have non-contact practices. But if that is all they can do, there isn't much point in wasting the season doing run-throughs. But a court order might be the only way to force IHSA & Pritzker/IDPH to make more logical guidelines & regulations. I've said for a long time, somebody has to eventually deal with herd immunity if a vaccine, no matter how promising, never comes...as we are more than 6 months into the 2 week flattening the curve.

Lawsuit filed. Haven’t read it but not sure how much of a punch it will pack.

Awwwright!! Good for them! And good for them that they won. :) What age group?
13u.. Yeah, the coach from the other team who we already beat and host of the tourney made the ump to tell our girls with spikes that they weren't allowed to wear them. Our best pitcher wears them and this all happened after her first pitch.. I have 3 sons that have played many tourney games and I haven't seen anything this bush league in my life.. Just to brag, my daughter had the game winning double..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT