ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A Teams to Beat in 2018?

Debating with you on a sports message board is a foolish endeavor.

That being said, I will plunge into the foolishness of your statement and fully expect you to tell me I am wrong, a blowhard and hijack the thread into bashing small private school athletic programs as is your history.

You believe judging (the potential) of high school varsity based on youth football is foolish. The truth is, youth football is the ONLY predictor of varsity football potential. We look to baseball farm systems as a future predictor of MLB success - that is NOT a foolish endeavor. We measure the strength of college football success by the strength of their recruiting class - that is NOT a foolish endeavor. Yet you think youth football is...

Don't you realize what a fool you are?

You are comparing adults that are physically mature to junior high kids that are at different levels of the maturity process.. MLB farm systems and college recruiting are completely different than youth football...

You are basing your opinion on the results of a single youth football league.. you know how many undefeated youth teams are in the state??

In our league, seems the key to success if often the willingness of the junior high baseball coach to work with the youth football people.

You're not wrong in what you state above.
However...
The ONLY factor you can use to predict future success is previous success. All other factors you describe above are not predictors, they are circumstances which dilute the predictive results.

Yes agree that is why with so many variable I get really uncomfortable trying to predict what will happen 4 years down the line. But as you say - really the only thing that can be looked at is how are they doing in “the farm system”. There are so many recruiting busts and draft busts that trying to do it for 9th graders is really even more unpredictable than what we see in college and pro.

I remember the university of Washington had two horrible recruiting classes (from outside ratings firms like Rivals). The Dogfather (Don James) was on the hot seat, and fast forward 3 years and they win the 1991 national title (usatoday coaches poll. Those damn hurricanes took the AP as both were undefeated that year)

You are comparing adults that are physically mature to junior high kids that are at different levels of the maturity process.. MLB farm systems and college recruiting are completely different than youth football...

You are basing your opinion on the results of a single youth football league.. you know how many undefeated youth teams are in the state??

In our league, seems the key to success if often the willingness of the junior high baseball coach to work with the youth football people.

Maybe we can agree on this statement which I will offer...

"Youth football is not a good indication of future varsity success, but it is the only indication we have."

Maybe we can agree on this statement which I will offer...

"Youth football is not a good indication of future varsity success, but it is the only indication we have."

I would rather have a really good youth team than a bad one

So in essence what you're saying is that there is no advantage to recruiting from a 30 mile radius, because past success doesn't predict future success. This is Fantastic...we are making progress!

Reactions: Cat Box
So in essence what you're saying is that there is no advantage to recruiting from a 30 mile radius, because past success doesn't predict future success. This is Fantastic...we are making progress!

If 5 8th grade studs are recruited to play at St Jesus and 3 of them turn into legit players, still an advantage...

And IHSA membership agrees with me, so what your biased view says doesn't matter..

If 5 8th grade studs are recruited to play at St Jesus and 3 of them turn into legit players, still an advantage...

And IHSA membership agrees with me, so what your biased view says doesn't matter..

What is those 5 kids in the 8th grade are already enrolled at St. Jesus and have been all through middle school? Does that change things for you?

What is those 5 kids in the 8th grade are already enrolled at St. Jesus and have been all through middle school? Does that change things for you?

But that has not been standard operating procedure at Aurora Christian...

No two of my 4 boys went to Nazareth, then we moved. The school they attend and graduated from or will graduate from is PUBLIC and competes with PRIVATE schools here in PIAA which are not multiplied. That has been fully disclosed in the past but perhaps you don’t recall.

Oh, you must have lied when you said your kid went to Nazareth?

No two of my 4 boys went to Nazareth, then we moved. The school they attend and graduated from or will graduate from is PUBLIC and competes with PRIVATE schools here in PIAA which are not multiplied. That has been fully disclosed in the past but perhaps you don’t recall.

Ok, so when you lived in Illinois your kids went to private schools and this is an Illinois board.. if this was a Penn. board, your claim would be valid..

Can we make it to 40 pages.........
There seems to be some kindling stirring. Will there be enough of a spark to ignite another full blown dumpster fire? We shall see.

It's interesting how it started again with Cat Box complimenting AC's upcoming grade school classes. Again, complimenting a small, private school is the preferred accelerant to start an Edgy dumpster fire.

There seems to be some kindling stirring. Will there be enough of a spark to ignite another full blown dumpster fire? We shall see.

It's interesting how it started again with Cat Box complimenting AC's upcoming grade school classes. Again, complimenting a small, private school is the preferred accelerant to start an Edgy dumpster fire.

It is Dejavu!!

Hopefully Edgy does not pop into this thread for at least a few days. He might want to kill it in its infancy!!

I don’t think anything will top what we had in the Dumpster fire thread. Some of that was pricelessly entertaining and funny.

Reactions: Gene K. and Cat Box
When your kids went to Illinois high schools, you sent them to private schools when that was an option, thus you are bias..
Wouldn't he be unbiased, since he's been on both sides of the public/private fence? What difference does the state make? It's not like schools are vastly different based on the state one resides. The basic school choice decision is the same.

So he has or had both sides of the coin. That should make him the most unbiased person in discussions of publics and privates.

2 kids played at NAZ and 1 or 2 playing/played at Public PA school. I know #3 played. Not sure if Jwar’s youngest plays FB. My youngest is a girl and of course she doesn’t want to play football (she could be a good little receiver!) but does want to dance and run track next year! That means I can’t get my hotdogs and pops during halftime anymore (have to watch the dance!)

Reactions: Gene K.
I don't want to destroy another thread so lets get it all out in one post. Kevin is my oldest now 23 and will be Graduating from ASU in May with Multiple degrees, Also played at ASU. Justin my second oldest(played FR-JR yrs on varsity at Naz and Sr at Wilson West lawn) is currently at Penn State #80 on the roster will be a redshirt Freshman next season and is currently a true freshman completing his 47th credit in School in May. Andrew is my third played Soph and Varsity at Naz and Varsity Jr and SR seasons at Wilson and will graduate in June. He is deciding between Carnegie Mellon, Johns Hopkins, and Penn State in the coming days and will be a Finance Major at any of the three. Has opportunities to play at all three schools but roles at CM and JH more game day while PS is more the role of practice player. At all of the schools he already has 15 credits of AP towards his Bachelors degree. My Youngest, Douglas is finishing his Sophomore year and going through a significant growth spirt. Trying to determine where he will play this year. Last season played in the two deep at Receiver and Safety. Would love to see him convert to TE/MLB the next two seasons. Through his Sophomore year has qualified for 6 credits of AP credits at College unless he goes IVY.

Its not Berk but rather Berks Catholic which is a fine upstanding catholic school. In the case here we found the public school to offer the same opportunities that the Catholic school did so we decided to stay that course. The tuition here is not nearly as significant as Chicago where I was chunking out $12K roughly per kid. Berks Catholic as a catholic parish parishioner in good standing is about $4,600/year plus Uniforms and ebooks.

If I've missed some other details you'd like to know BBC please ask, I don't hide behind my keyboard.

PS all the Stats and touchdowns in the world won't ever make me as happy as this type of recognition does.
DPaXh2kW0AEPJ6e.jpg:large

I'm guessing HHS has been researching Jwar's current PA situation, and Berk is the private school option that Jwar did not chose over the local public school option.

I don't want to destroy another thread so lets get it all out in one post. Kevin is my oldest now 23 and will be Graduating from ASU in May with Multiple degrees, Also played at ASU. Justin my second oldest(played FR-JR yrs on varsity at Naz and Sr at Wilson West lawn) is currently at Penn State #80 on the roster will be a redshirt Freshman next season and is currently a true freshman completing his 47th credit in School in May. Andrew is my third played Soph and Varsity at Naz and Varsity Jr and SR seasons at Wilson and will graduate in June. He is deciding between Carnegie Mellon, Johns Hopkins, and Penn State in the coming days and will be a Finance Major at any of the three. Has opportunities to play at all three schools but roles at CM and JH more game day while PS is more the role of practice player. At all of the schools he already has 15 credits of AP towards his Bachelors degree. My Youngest, Douglas is finishing his Sophomore year and going through a significant growth spirt. Trying to determine where he will play this year. Last season played in the two deep at Receiver and Safety. Would love to see him convert to TE/MLB the next two seasons. Through his Sophomore year has qualified for 6 credits of AP credits at College unless he goes IVY.

Its not Berk but rather Berks Catholic which is a fine upstanding catholic school. In the case here we found the public school to offer the same opportunities that the Catholic school did so we decided to stay that course. The tuition here is not nearly as significant as Chicago where I was chunking out $12K roughly per kid. Berks Catholic as a catholic parish parishioner in good standing is about $4,600/year plus Uniforms and ebooks.

If I've missed some other details you'd like to know BBC please ask, I don't hide behind my keyboard.

PS all the Stats and touchdowns in the world won't ever make me as happy as this type of recognition does.
DPaXh2kW0AEPJ6e.jpg:large

Our boys (the ones graduating this spring) were almost teammates!!

My oldest was deciding between: University of Dayton, Northern Michigan (D2- full ride between Football scholorship and Academic merit grant), University of Chicago, Carnigie Mellon, and WashU in Saint Louis (Olin undergrad Business School)

It was down to Carnigie and WashU and he decided on WashU.

He did love the coaches at Carnigie. That’s a great school and great coaching staff.

Voodoo,

Congrats, did Wash U come through with a good package? Andrew went back to the two D3's and told them they needed to pony up more. Not the Football guys the Admission guys. They are supposed to get back to him over the Easter weekend. I said to him, "you sure they are not getting in an early April fools joke?" We will see what happens now, I was happy with the offer from both, he thought he could milk more out of them.

Our boys (the ones graduating this spring) were almost teammates!!

My oldest was deciding between: University of Dayton, Northern Michigan (D2- full ride between Football scholorship and Academic merit grant), University of Chicago, Carnigie Mellon, and WashU in Saint Louis (Olin undergrad Business School)

It was down to Carnigie and WashU and he decided on WashU.

He did love the coaches at Carnigie. That’s a great school and great coaching staff.

Voodoo,

Congrats, did Wash U come through with a good package? Andrew went back to the two D3's and told them they needed to pony up more. Not the Football guys the Admission guys. They are supposed to get back to him over the Easter weekend. I said to him, "you sure they are not getting in an early April fools joke?" We will see what happens now, I was happy with the offer from both, he thought he could milk more out of them.

Lol. The free ride to Northern Michigan from a financial standpoint was the best offer.

Dayton was about 1/2 covered thru Academic Merit Grant money. Same for all the other roster spots he was offerered from the Pioneer league - Valpo, Butler, etc.

With the smartie D3’s - not nearly as good for a couple reasons.
1. My FASA score did not qualify me for diddly squat.
2. The ACT score of 32 he got (while good) didn’t qualify for very much in Academic merit grant money (all the non athletes that go to those schools have 35 and 36 ACTs and they get the majority of the academic money).

On the plus side - the football coaches got him a direct admit to Olin Business school and that was the deciding factor. He had direct admit to CMs business school also - but I think he would have gone to Dayton and played there and do their entrepreneurial program and finance in their business school if the direct Admit Olin offer didn’t come thru. (Dayton “socializing scene” better than WashU and “way better” than Carnigie in the boys opinion only - and unfortunately that was a factor in his decision)

Edit: the admissions guys/gals: from what my kid and wife said (they were on the calls with the admissions people) It helps if you have other kids in college. They can do lots of exceptions unique curcumatance things. But in my/our case - this is my first in college and the admission people said my other two “don’t count” “can’t be taken into account”until they actually get into college.

So in the upcoming years - things could get even better (I’m hoping:))

Last edited:
Yes!! Let’s burn this thread to the ground!

Who’s with me!!

Dumpster fire burning party!!

HHS - your a fatty!! That should be enough to get this party started!!

My neighbor kid went to John Hopkins and is an Economics major, thought he told me they do not offer accounting or finance as a major, must have heard him wrong

My neighbor kid went to John Hopkins and is an Economics major, thought he told me they do not offer accounting or finance as a major, must have heard him wrong

I’m not sure. But I do know They are known for the medical programs. My boy was being recruited by them as well - but he shied away because he’s not interested in the medical fields.

And... much more importantly....I’m waiting to be included into the fat section! Didn’t you see the name I called you in the previous post? You can’t let that go unanswered!! (Can you?)

ADVERTISEMENT