vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

Any preseason comments/insights would be welcomed. Off the cusp here, I believe SR can sweep their Crossover games, can win their first two non-conference games and then go 2 - 2 in the Blue.

With my heart: 8 - 1 (3 - 1 in conference)
With my "glass is half empty," I-am-negative-bastich mentality: 4 - 5 (1 - 3 in conference)
Realistic Positive: 7 - 2 (2 - 2 in conference)
Realistic Negative: 6 - 3 (1 - 3 in conference)

Final results: who the hell knows at this point?

@ JCA
vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

Couple of things pop out. The first is that this is a pretty respectable schedule, even without MC on it. Easiest game on the schedule, by far, is the last one. That presents a great opportunity to rest injured players (if need be) and still be in great shape for a week 9 win to either make the playoffs (yikes!) or improve your seed. Lastly, I note that four of Rita's last five games are on the road, with your only home game being against the always tough Ramblers. Better make the most of the first half of the season.

Witty:

W/O Mount Carmel it feels like there is something missing...
Without MC what is the big rivalry game for SR?
Whats the scoop on JCA, Richards and Montini?
Two years in a row at BR?
What does SR have coming back?
Will the big game be MC/LA for the Catholic League?
Are we starting this a little early?
Did Phillips steal any of your players?

I’m hearing PC may have a down year, but you never know. SL losing a lot. BR will be very good. This class went 18-0 as underclass men and they got a ton of playing time last year, plus there Soph QB (Junior next year) has a cannon. LA is LA. 7-2 is realistic, 6-3 very possible. How will SR be? They lost some playmakers

@ JCA
vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

Any preseason comments/insights would be welcomed. Off the cusp here, I believe SR can sweep their Crossover games, can win their first two non-conference games and then go 2 - 2 in the Blue.

With my "glass is half empty," I-am-negative-bastich mentality: 4 - 5 (1 - 3 in conference)

Hard to replace the seniors from this year’s team. Chris Childers (Indiana State) was one of the better all purpose athletes to play at St. Rita in the vain of Tommy Minster. Jake Zylman was one of the better field leaders St. Rita has had but is going the baseball route in college. Lot of solid players graduating. Many playing baseball. Though at least six signed football letters of intent.

The underclassmen have shown some promise. When Jake got hurt the 2nd and 3rd string QB’s were able to get Rita thru three playoff wins with a big upset win at St. Charles North. Last year’s freshmen and JV teams only had one loss each. With the new offense in place for two years now everyone is on the same page. I think the success factor in admissions will spill over to the athletic teams. I think there will be a nice mix of returning seniors and underclassmen. How many wins? Just a wild guess at this point. Playoff qualifier yes. Tough stretch of away games on the road. No cream puffs to start the season either. LA is the favorite to win the blue again.

Not having MC on the schedule is weird. Frank Lenti’s farewell tour would have been nice to see. But life goes on. Wish him well.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
There was a time seeing JCA and Richards on a teams schedule would have meant 0-2 and someone serioulsy questioning an AD's head.

Reactions: McCaravan
@ JCA
vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

Nice Job Witty

Witty:

W/O Mount Carmel it feels like there is something missing...
Without MC what is the big rivalry game for SR?
Whats the scoop on JCA, Richards and Montini?
Two years in a row at BR?
What does SR have coming back?
Will the big game be MC/LA for the Catholic League?
Are we starting this a little early?
Did Phillips steal any of your players?

SSideCFD,

Yes, something is missing, but as McCaravan pointed out, I am sure a playoff game may be a possibility. Bronco is no slouch, but yes, I prefer the MC matchup. I am thinking with the MC/Bronco switch, that's how the schedule ended up at BR. This is the year I wish the game was at Cascia.

As for SR talent-wise this August? T-loner did a very good job of explaining it. I just think they got a pretty good incoming senior class who gained valuable experience from last year. Also, as TL pointed out, it's the third year with this system; things should even be more smooth.

Chicago Phillips? Not that I heard. JCA has a great program, but hearing earlier comments in previous threads, SR may be able to beat JCA this year. Richards is strong, but do they have the depth? No idea about Bronco. Can anyone close to the Bronco experience elaborate at this point on Bronco? Also, TK is an astute guy, so I am thinking he believes his team is a solid one this August with the schedule that he has put together.

Reactions: tomloner
Couple of things pop out. The first is that this is a pretty respectable schedule, even without MC on it. Easiest game on the schedule, by far, is the last one. That presents a great opportunity to rest injured players (if need be) and still be in great shape for a week 9 win to either make the playoffs (yikes!) or improve your seed. Lastly, I note that four of Rita's last five games are on the road, with your only home game being against the always tough Ramblers. Better make the most of the first half of the season.

Yes, that's the key, I believe. If SR can go 4 - 0 or 3 - 1 early on, that would be nice. I am very happy SR has DePaul the last game. Hey, we haven't beaten LA in awhile, so why not just see what the score is at halftime and to rest or not to rest players in the second half may be an issue. I think SR can get by SL this year in Burbank along with the DePaul game, so that's winning two out of three games heading into the playoffs, but one never knows.

Last edited:
SSideCFD,

Yes, something is missing, but as McCaravan pointed out, I am sure a playoff game may be a possibility. Bronco is no slouch, but yes, I prefer the MC matchup. I am thinking with the MC/Bronco switch, that's how the schedule ended up at BR. This is the year I wish the game was at Cascia.

As for SR talent-wise this August? T-loner did a very good job of explaining it. I just think they got a pretty good incoming senior class who gained valuable experience from last year. Also, as TL pointed out, it's the third year with this system; things should even be more smooth.

Chicago Phillips? Not that I heard. JCA has a great program, but hearing earlier comments in previous threads, SR may be able to beat JCA this year. Richards is strong, but do they have the depth? No idea about Bronco. Can anyone close to the Bronco experience elaborate at this point on Bronco? Also, TK is an astute guy, so I am thinking he believes his team is a solid one this August with the schedule that he has put together.
This time of the year I don’t like predicting records. Way too early. St. Rita will be competitive in all the games and playoffs will be in the picture barring catastrophic injuries with a decent seed. LA as always will be a challenge. DePaul is the only win that should be assumed. BR will be tough as will be PC. BR was injury plagued last year and will be a tough road game.

But nice group seniors coming back. This year’s sophomores were pretty good so I think those that start in the fall will earn their spots and will not just filling in holes. Solid schedule with three good opponents on the road in a row. If the schedule gets flipped in 2019 I like it better next year. This past season the offense matured a lot. They will have a new starter at QB but he will have two quality RB’s and receivers also. Chris Childers got the bulk of the carries last year but I think the ball gets spread around a lot more this fall. Offense will be fine.

The defense this past season was much improved over 2016. Tackling head and shoulders over the year before. The defense will dictate how far St. Rita goes. Special teams should be solid. I don’t know anything about JCA and Richards except they are quality programs for many years as is Montini. Better than 5-4 for sure. 6-3 / 7-2 / 8-1? Losing the way they did to LZ to end the season should keep the team motivated in the summer.

Too my knowledge SR has not lost anyone to Phillips. But Catholic schools always lose kids because the finances, grades, relocation, discipline, or a kid may transfer to become the marquee player somewhere else. You never know until the first checks come in.

Didn’t SR vs DeLaSalle used to be a huge rivalry when they were on 63rd and Claremont? I know it was the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe that fire can be rekindled.

Montini has a big advantage at home versus St. Rita. Great home field record in Lombard. Montini has a lot of talent returning. IMO they will beat St. Rita in a close game.

Montini has a big advantage at home versus St. Rita. Great home field record in Lombard. Montini has a lot of talent returning. IMO they will beat St. Rita in a close game.

Feeto's first upset special! MCHS by 10

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I didnt say that.......

........ with all the returning players shouldn't BR be the favorite? At home two years in a row? The stars are aligned just right. If all that negative energy for Lenti and MC is used in a positive way against SR then BR has to be at least a TD or better favorite. This is a legit post. SR loses to LA and BR. 7-2

Didn’t SR vs DeLaSalle used to be a huge rivalry when they were on 63rd and Claremont? I know it was the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe that fire can be rekindled.

It was a very good rival game. I remember in '87/'88 school year, SR was 0 - 3 hosting favorite-with-a-very-good QB Meteor team. We had a pep rally before this game and Coach Urchak with his speech ignited a frenzy, which led to the upset, which led to four more consecutive wins and one game away to make the playoffs. SL put a stop to that with a crushing 10 - 9 victory against the Mustang. It seemed the game's were always very close.

........ with all the returning players shouldn't BR be the favorite? At home two years in a row? The stars are aligned just right. If all that negative energy for Lenti and MC is used in a positive way against SR then BR has to be at least a TD or better favorite. This is a legit post. SR loses to LA and BR. 7-2

BR is definitely the favorite in this game. I think it will be very competitive, though: BR 32, SR 21.

Mark Gabriel was the soph QB last year and split time with another kid whose name i can't remember. I am not a betting man or I would have lost the house on some of the games Montini played in these past 4 years. LOL. Just a guess on my part as to St. Rita (my alma mater) and Montini 's game based on what the Broncos have coming back and home field. Bronco's have lost only 1 or 2 games at home in the past 3 years.

On offense Montini has a very good running back and several very good receivers. Some talent returning on the O and D Lines. Defense should be okay as the D has been Coach B's baby for a long while. IMO QB play will be the key as to how far the Broncos go. Playing in the CCL Blue will make or break the Broncos come playoff time.

@ JCA
vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

I'm a little later in the thread than epic, but I love the sched. JCA will be much better than the previous two years, but are still going to need to prove things. Everyone always says PC is up/down etc and since Sneff left, they go 5-4 and ultimately advance deep...or so it seems. Agreed it's weird not to see MC on the sched, but hey, change can be good and it will do nothing but ultimately help the rivalry.

Huge Reeters fan so i'm 100% coming into town for this one...

Feels good to post again.

It was a very good rival game. I remember in '87/'88 school year, SR was 0 - 3 hosting favorite-with-a-very-good QB Meteor team. We had a pep rally before this game and Coach Urchak with his speech ignited a frenzy, which led to the upset, which led to four more consecutive wins and one game away to make the playoffs. SL put a stop to that with a crushing 10 - 9 victory against the Mustang. It seemed the game's were always very close.

I remember going to the game vs MC that year. MC dominated but SR had two long pass plays. God, I wish I got to go to school at the 63rd street campus for at least a year.

I remember going to the game vs MC that year. MC dominated but SR had two long pass plays. God, I wish I got to go to school at the 63rd street campus for at least a year.

I believe the final was 14 - 7 against that MC team. A buddy of mine had a huge interception that game to seal the deal.

I'm a little later in the thread than epic, but I love the sched. JCA will be much better than the previous two years, but are still going to need to prove things. Everyone always says PC is up/down etc and since Sneff left, they go 5-4 and ultimately advance deep...or so it seems. Agreed it's weird not to see MC on the sched, but hey, change can be good and it will do nothing but ultimately help the rivalry.

Huge Reeters fan so i'm 100% coming into town for this one...

Feels good to post again.
The Hilltoppers will show well.
I like a marquee-type game as an opener.

16-17 Starters, many of whom started on Varsity as Sophomores two years ago.
Big lines and good skill position players.
Last year they were 2 plays away from the playoffs:
1. St. Pat’s kickoff return TD
2. Unable to punch it in from the 1-yard line against Benet
Win or lose vs. St. Rita, they will show well

Reactions: HSFootballMom59
16-17 Starters, many of whom started on Varsity as Sophomores two years ago.
Big lines and good skill position players.
Last year they were 2 plays away from the playoffs:
1. St. Pat’s kickoff return TD
2. Unable to punch it in from the 1-yard line against Benet
Win or lose vs. St. Rita, they will show well

Thanks

The 77th and Western location is a lot kinder and gentler. No wrestling team back then. But Golden Gloves South Side finals used to be at St. Rita on 63rd. So many Rita guys signed up for the Novice Division the Golden Glove organizers made us have box offs at school so only one or two guys in each weight class would get in. No baseball field or football practice field on site. The teachers did not spare the rod or spoil the child either. You never went home and said you got disciplined or you got it at home again. My younger brothers learned that quickly. But the school was a great place to grow from a boy to a man. Intramural sports were intense... Dances were so huge they had to be moved outside. My last two years we had out door concerts for homecoming with the Outsiders and the New Colony Six.

To go back now to that age but with today’s knowledge....

Last edited:
@ JCA
vs Richards
vs DeLaSalle
vs PC
@ Montini
@ BR
@ SL
vs LA
@ DePaul Prep

I’ve said it the past couple of years and again this year, it will depend on senior leadership for SR to go 8-1 or 1-8.

The QB is an excellent football player that the state will enjoy watching. He’ll have more than a handful of skill players that have the ability to take it to the House each touch.

The secondary has a lot of talent coming back also.

Can the front seven on the D stop big plays and make big plays to get the ball back to the O?
Can the Oline protect the QB and provide the skill players with a seam to explode through?
Depth could be an issue again but this team will be deeper than the last two years’ teams.

Tough schedule will make them answer those questions quickly.

Hopefully, get to hang out with @JCHILLTOPPERS, @USD24 and the other JCA faithful at opening night.

ADVERTISEMENT