ADVERTISEMENT

Changes need to be made!!

Only one private school wins a championship. That's not fair. Wat is the IHSA going to do to level the playing field?

There is nothing the IHSA can do Public schools have better coaching, kids who are more dedicated, smarter and work harder and in general they care more about football then private schools do.

Well atleast that what all the threads on this site used to list as the reasons why private schools were better at football. Truth be told every time the the system is tinkered with it gets worse, but the odds of the IHSA ever going back to the 6 class system which was the best set up are slim and none.

Reactions: lkhammer57
There is nothing the IHSA can do Public schools have better coaching, kids who are more dedicated, smarter and work harder and in general they care more about football then private schools do.

Well atleast that what all the threads on this site used to list as the reasons why private schools were better at football. Truth be told every time the the system is tinkered with it gets worse, but the odds of the IHSA ever going back to the 6 class system which was the best set up are slim and none.
I certainly agree that every time the system gets tinkered with it gets worse. So let’s be careful what we wish for because we just might get it.

In a different sport, NASCAR keeps changing the rules every other year and is just a train wreck now. losing fans every year because their product has become pathetic. I used to watch two or three NASCAR events every week. Now I barely watch because they keep tweaking and screwing it up more and more.

All the griping about the SF and multiplier, seems like the system is working..

Instead of using the success factor and constantly moving teams up (as many as 3 classes which is ridiculous) and down... just change the 1.65 private school multiplier to 2.0 and drop the success factor. This would probably move most privates up 1 class from where they are now. Sounds like a compromise that both public/private could live with.

Instead of using the success factor and constantly moving teams up (as many as 3 classes which is ridiculous) and down... just change the 1.65 private school multiplier to 2.0 and drop the success factor. This would probably move most privates up 1 class from where they are now. Sounds like a compromise that both public/private could live with.

That's the problem, multipliers big enough to get programs like Montini, Nazareth and IC into the classes they belong were too large to keep the lower tier privates happy..

That's the problem, multipliers big enough to get programs like Montini, Nazareth and IC into the classes they belong were too large to keep the lower tier privates happy..

Well there are going to be perennially good and bad privates (regardless of multipliers) just as there are perennially good and bad publics.... that's life. Never going to be perfect for everyone no matter what you do or don't do.

IMO being a small private (1a-4a) in the Chicago area (ICCP, Aurora Christian, etc) is a waaaay bigger advantage than being a 5a-8a private. The small towns that those small Chicago area privates play are at a much bigger disadvantage than LWE is against Loyola or PR is against Naz, etc.... once you get to the large publics the advantage evens out more so than rural kids against the ICCP's of the world.

Also, IMO they should make publics play where they belong and eliminate opting to play up. Let's be honest, no one is doing it to "challenge themselves against bigger competition".... they are dodging a tough opponent.... ex: 4a should have been Rochester vs Phillips but instead you let them both be champions by gaming the system.

Also, IMO they should make publics play where they belong and eliminate opting to play up. Let's be honest, no one is doing it to "challenge themselves against bigger competition".... they are dodging a tough opponent.... ex: 4a should have been Rochester vs Phillips but instead you let them both be champions by gaming the system.
actually Phillips would of been in 3A this year

With the way the games played out this year and the luck of the weather being great and some teams that travel well anyway,don't look for any changes anytime soon.The people in Bloomington have to be smiling today.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Private teams fans have all the humor. We should be in a separate division.

Oh no...I have a sense of humor...especially after a Metamora fan gave a jab to Morris fans about placekickers(2nd championship lost by FG as time expires...Friday night and 2007 vs Metamora):mad:

They would have beaten ICCP by 3 TDs had they played them. Phillips and Rochester would have been a shootout I am sure.

That may be but when they moved up (assuming they would have been 3a to start) why did they skip 4a (to miss Rochester) or not go to say 6a (multiple tough opponents)? They just so happened to pick 5a the softest spot they could find! The ihsa and publics can't bitch that a private won in 3a and should be bumped up when the team that most believe would have beaten them chose to play up and not where they belong. I say if a team wants to opt up they should have only one option, the highest possible class (8a) or stay where you belong.... also, should be required to be a choice you are stuck with for 5-10 years not something you can choose to do short term.

Reactions: Hawks65
The Publics have dominated 8A-6A over the years ---only 4 private champs in largest class since 1981 with 2 each by Loyola and Mount Carmel but no other private has won.

That may be but when they moved up (assuming they would have been 3a to start) why did they skip 4a (to miss Rochester) or not go to say 6a (multiple tough opponents)? They just so happened to pick 5a the softest spot they could find! The ihsa and publics can't bitch that a private won in 3a and should be bumped up when the team that most believe would have beaten them chose to play up and not where they belong. I say if a team wants to opt up they should have only one option, the highest possible class (8a) or stay where you belong.... also, should be required to be a choice you are stuck with for 5-10 years not something you can choose to do short term.

I disagree. If a school knows they have a special couple classes - why not let them petition up and have in only be for 2 years until decision needs to be made again? No one will petition up if it has to be for 10 yeasts. No one has any clue what their teams mile look like in 2027....

I disagree. If a school knows they have a special couple classes - why not let them petition up and have in only be for 2 years until decision needs to be made again? No one will petition up if it has to be for 10 yeasts. No one has any clue what their teams mile look like in 2027....

That's my point... don't want them to be able to opt up... why let teams game the system by picking and choosing what class to play in.... I gave the option of 8a in my original post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a school petitions up, isn't it 1 class based on your previous year's classification.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a school petitions up, isn't it 1 class based on your previous year's classification.

Idk, I said in my initial post I thought they were 4a dodging Rochester going to 5a and someone corrected me saying they would have been 3a but i don't know which is accurate but wasn't too worried about it as it doesn't change the point of my main argument.

Just checked ihsa site.. Phillips at 528 this year... don't know final playoff enrollment breaks but per playoff outlook after week 8 up to 548 was 3a...

Nobody likes to lose, especially the championships, but each year there will only be 8 champions crowned.

Fans like to see their teams win, a lot, but while some like the blow out, the players and the fans enjoy great games and don’t really care about the games that they know will be blowouts. Having 60 rushing TD vs weak opponents is for the record books and the memory of the person who attained it. Fans leaving at half, or running clocks to start the 3rd Q pretty much says people really only care about good FB.

Tradition and rivalries are the essence of HS and College FB. It’s too bad everyone can’t feel that as compared to maybe 20-30% of the schools who currently do and have the tough down to the last minute games to feel the adrenaline.

So rather than having a fixed rule for SF or public / private rules, how about having the coaching staffs decide who should play who. Perhaps keep 4-5 conference type / rivalry games and the rest vs equal competition.

Programs turn over every 2 years more or less, so some awareness of how the Fr /So is important. But also that’ll creat one Home and one away. People will see schools and areas that they typically wouldn’t. Perhaps new rivalries would be developed.

It wouldn’t be simple to start and certainly not fully thought out, but I suspect many posters here can see the benefit for their teams, HSFB, and school pride.

Only one private school wins a championship. That's not fair. Wat is the IHSA going to do to level the playing field?

USD:

Don't expect much from the Temple of Denial on this issue; the good folks who run this association are tone deaf. The organization is still running for cover from the catastrophe of Fenwick-PFN in 2016. It's been over one year since the Temple was confronted with this glaring blunder and it has done absolutely nothing to offer a remedy for human error in officiating.

Wise observers can reliably conclude when the Temple was forced into court and received a ruling in their favor, the Temple sanctioned officials improvising during competition.

With all civility I can muster, the officials in the Fenwick-PNF game literally ad-libbed rules.

Reactions: Gene K.
Nobody likes to lose, especially the championships, but each year there will only be 8 champions crowned.

Fans like to see their teams win, a lot, but while some like the blow out, the players and the fans enjoy great games and don’t really care about the games that they know will be blowouts. Having 60 rushing TD vs weak opponents is for the record books and the memory of the person who attained it. Fans leaving at half, or running clocks to start the 3rd Q pretty much says people really only care about good FB.

Tradition and rivalries are the essence of HS and College FB. It’s too bad everyone can’t feel that as compared to maybe 20-30% of the schools who currently do and have the tough down to the last minute games to feel the adrenaline.

So rather than having a fixed rule for SF or public / private rules, how about having the coaching staffs decide who should play who. Perhaps keep 4-5 conference type / rivalry games and the rest vs equal competition.

Programs turn over every 2 years more or less, so some awareness of how the Fr /So is important. But also that’ll creat one Home and one away. People will see schools and areas that they typically wouldn’t. Perhaps new rivalries would be developed.

It wouldn’t be simple to start and certainly not fully thought out, but I suspect many posters here can see the benefit for their teams, HSFB, and school pride.

i agree 100% that this year was the most entertaining year we have had in a very long time.
and was with you all the way until you started babling about rivalries and coaches. right now they have figured out where each team should be playing at and at what competition level.
the only moves really need to be iccp 4a/5a, phillips 7a/8a, rochester 5a/6a

The Publics have dominated 8A-6A over the years ---only 4 private champs in largest class since 1981 with 2 each by Loyola and Mount Carmel but no other private has won.

7A and 8A, but not 6A. Since moving to 8 classes in 2001, private schools have won nine 6A titles.

You do realize, don't you, that private schools are not evenly distributed among all 8 classes? You do realize, don't you, that there are no private schools that have an actual enrollment that would classify them into 8A were it not for the multiplier?

While I think that the success factor being applied to all schools is the best way to go, I still feel like the success factor is still faulty because in the case of IC, the teams that should be punished are the teams from the past 2 years. The heart of those teams are gone by the time they're competing in 4a, I don't know what the remedy is, but I would have loved to see these past two IC teams play in 4a, rather than future teams, who I have heard are not nearly as talented. But at the very least let's make it so all schools have to deal with the success factor and send Rochester up to 5a.

Reactions: MR. "T"
USD:

Don't expect much from the Temple of Denial on this issue; the good folks who run this association are tone deaf. The organization is still running for cover from the catastrophe of Fenwick-PFN in 2016. It's been over one year since the Temple was confronted with this glaring blunder and it has done absolutely nothing to offer a remedy for human error in officiating.

Wise observers can reliably conclude when the Temple was forced into court and received a ruling in their favor, the Temple sanctioned officials improvising during competition.

With all civility I can muster, the officials in the Fenwick-PNF game literally ad-libbed rules.

Only change needed is success factor applied to public schools. Otherwise system is ok.

Wittman - I hope your use of the words "good folks" was sarcasm.

mc140 - Watch out there, your making to much sense. Thus, such an idea would be roundly dismissed by the boys/girls in Bloomington.

Reactions: Gene K.
Ikhammer,

If we are going to apply the SF to Rochester let's make certain we apply it the same way it's being applied to the private schools based on past performance, selectively and retroactively if the desired result occurs. In other words welcome to 8A Rochester with your string of 7 of the last 8 4A titles... You've earned it!

While I think that the success factor being applied to all schools is the best way to go, I still feel like the success factor is still faulty because in the case of IC, the teams that should be punished are the teams from the past 2 years. The heart of those teams are gone by the time they're competing in 4a, I don't know what the remedy is, but I would have loved to see these past two IC teams play in 4a, rather than future teams, who I have heard are not nearly as talented. But at the very least let's make it so all schools have to deal with the success factor and send Rochester up to 5a.

ADVERTISEMENT