ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Ritter

Wolffan64

Sep 26, 2017
Crystal Lake
Per Deadspin Cardinal Ritter has fired the entire coaching staff and will forfeit the rest of the season.
dumb decisions by coaching staff unfortunately will hurt the players and their futures.

Per Deadspin Cardinal Ritter has fired the entire coaching staff and will forfeit the rest of the season.
dumb decisions by coaching staff unfortunately will hurt the players and their futures.
Old news Wolff....and an Archdiocese representative actually came into the locker room an hour before kickoff against Granite City and pulled the plug on the remainder of the seasons....pretty definitive actions I'd say....and deservedly so in this case...sucks for the kids no doubt.

Reactions: eireog and Gene K.
Old news Wolff....and an Archdiocese representative actually came into the locker room an hour before kickoff against Granite City and pulled the plug on the remainder of the seasons....pretty definitive actions I'd say....and deservedly so in this case...sucks for the kids no doubt.

I feel for all those kids. The coaches made a bad decision that these young men are paying for. Shame on those adults involved.
stay strong Cardinal Ritter players it was not your decision and you did nothing wrong.

I feel for all those kids. The coaches made a bad decision that these young men are paying for. Shame on those adults involved.
stay strong Cardinal Ritter players it was not your decision and you did nothing wrong.
I too feel bad for them but is this how we should handle it? Pretend they did nothing wrong? Every single kid knew what was going on. Certain kids lied to the media after, they all took part in covering it up even if it was just saying nothing.

Now trust me I get it, this is an instance where I myself wouldn’t do what these kids were “supposed to do” if I were in their shoes but I can also acknowledge they weren’t innocent. By no means am I condemning these kids but actions have consequences, that’s the lesson they need to learn instead of adults making excuses for them again.

I too feel bad for them but is this how we should handle it? Pretend they did nothing wrong? Every single kid knew what was going on. Certain kids lied to the media after, they all took part in covering it up even if it was just saying nothing.

Now trust me I get it, this is an instance where I myself wouldn’t do what these kids were “supposed to do” if I were in their shoes but I can also acknowledge they weren’t innocent. By no means am I condemning these kids but actions have consequences, that’s the lesson they need to learn instead of adults making excuses for them again.

Would you expect 16 and 17 year old kids to do the right thing and turn in the coaching staff? These are kids following adults who supposedly are looking out for their best interests. I wouldn’t put any of this on the kids.

Would you expect 16 and 17 year old kids to do the right thing and turn in the coaching staff? These are kids following adults who supposedly are looking out for their best interests. I wouldn’t put any of this on the kids.
Read my whole post, I get it. Now this is just a football game but at what point do we stop making excuses? If they committed a crime do we just say oh those adults forced them into it? They know the difference between right and wrong, they chose wrong.

Read my whole post, I get it. Now this is just a football game but at what point do we stop making excuses? If they committed a crime do we just say oh those adults forced them into it? They know the difference between right and wrong, they chose wrong.
But it’s not a crime, it’s football. When I played at 16 I just did what I was told.

Sorry...but I don't feel for the kids.

They know the rules. They know that if you are ejected, you have to sit out a game. They knew their teammate was wearing a different number.

I don't care that it was all orchestrated by the coaches. Somebody should have had the guts to say something before it happened.

You seem to have the inside track on exactly what happened. I’m just an observer.
It’s pretty straight forward.

Star RB was kicked out of state title game. During broadcast it was stated he would need to sit week 1 of next season as punishment which took him out of next game. Articles were published stating this as well.

A roster was sent to Naz with Bill Jackson on the roster wearing his usual #4.

A day later a new roster was sent with no #4 and a new player added. Freshman RB Marvin Burks #24.

Cardinal Ritter played and beat Nazareth. No player wearing #4 played but the aforementioned freshman had a great game.

Articles were written about CR’s big victory. Coach stated that the freshman Burks had earned the right to start.

In those same articles star RB Bill Jackson stated how hard it was to watch his teammates from the sidelines and how pumped he was to get back out there.

Bill Jackson played in the other 6 games after the Naz game and CR won.

A STL reporter broke the story that Bill Jackson’s tattoos match those of freshman Marvin Burks as does his height and weight. Burks in fact hadn’t appeared in a game since week 1. Burks hadn’t even been listed on the roster anywhere else since.

Pictures show #24 “Marvin Burks” not only has matching tattoos but has a helmet sticker with the #4 on the back of his helmet.

After being caught and punishments handed out parents, community members and players are playing the victim on social media.

Coach has done numerous interviews stating a wide array of excuses. He claims he thought Jackson had served his punishment in a jamboree scrimmage the week before their first GAME. He claims kids are always switching jerseys and not telling the coaches. It was an honest mistake. He didn’t own anything, didn’t step up to the plate despite having already lost his job (nothing to even lose). Never acknowledged Marvin Burks or his interviews where he claimed Burks earned it or that Jackson said he sat out,

They lied all year and while the coaches led the charge and lost their jobs, rightfully so, everyone around these young men is making excuses for them. It’s time to own it and learn from it.

Last edited:
If this had come out say, week 2, the punishment was still that they would be playoff intelligible due to the infraction right? But they still would have played their remaining regular season schedule? As it is now, they lose out on a few games due to the schools decision to cancel the remainder of the season?

Do I have it right?

Last edited:
Not sure the end result would have been any different if it was discovered after game two.
I would like to think that the penalty would have been the same.
The event wouldn’t have been any less egregious if it was caught sooner.
I still can’t fathom what those coaches were thinking.

If this had come out say, week 2, the punishment was still that they would be playoff intelligible due to the infraction tight? But they still would have played their remaining regular season schedule? As it is now, they lose out on a few games due to the schools decision to cancer l the remainder of the season?

Do I have it right?
You do not. They “self reported” 6 weeks later after the reporter brought it to their attention. CR then chose to recommend sanctions of suspending their coach and forfeiting the 7 games played. Missouri HS Association accepted their self imposed sanctions and everyone thought it was over. CR was ready to play their week 8 game. What’s interesting to note is that all schools in Missouri make the playoffs and with CR as the heavy favorite in 2a a forfeiture of their 7 played games doesn’t do a whole lot.

Shortly before game time the Archdiocese lowered the boom, firing the entire coaching staff and suspending the program for the rest of the season. CR and Missouri for that matter had nothing to do with that decision and no choice but to accept it.

Reactions: Gene K.
You do not. They “self reported” 6 weeks later after the reporter brought it to their attention. CR then chose to recommend sanctions of suspending their coach and forfeiting the 7 games played. Missouri HS Association accepted their self imposed sanctions and everyone thought it was over. CR was ready to play their week 8 game. What’s interesting to note is that all schools in Missouri make the playoffs and with CR as the heavy favorite in 2a a forfeiture of their 7 played games doesn’t do a whole lot.

Shortly before game time the Archdiocese lowered the boom, firing the entire coaching staff and suspending the program for the rest of the season. CR and Missouri for that matter had nothing to do with that decision and no choice but to accept it.
Thanks. I don't begrudge the kids who kept quiet, but just trying to imagine myself in their shoes. Maybe coming clean earlier would have saved their season and playoffs, but considering the whole staff got laid off, maybe not. I'd want to savor every game I could until getting caught if I thought getting caught would end it. It would be a tough dilemma to be in as a 17 year old.

Also wonder how much the kids knew beforehand. These coaches obviously aren't very bright, but even still you'd think they might keep it under wraps until the last moment and possibly for many of these kids they didn't even get a chance to speak up before.

Just about every parent and member of that program knew what was happening. Including the AD and probably the principal. If the Admin did not know what was going on, they should have been fired for incompetence. This was not some paperwork error or a kid who never plays suiting up and playing due to error. This was a star player on a high level team.

The whole thing is an embarrassment and pretty dumb considering it was only supposed to be a one game suspension.

Against an out of state team, even a loss would have done next to nothing to their overall season. Certainly less harm than total cancellation. Dumb dumb dumb.

Sorry...but I don't feel for the kids.

They know the rules. They know that if you are ejected, you have to sit out a game. They knew their teammate was wearing a different number.

I don't care that it was all orchestrated by the coaches. Somebody should have had the guts to say something before it happened.
If my son said a player on his team was wearing a different number on his HS team to hide him from suspension,I would have went to the school first and then IHSA.100 percent!!!

Honestly I read the story last night and it made me laugh nothing surprises me any more. One thing is for sure the staff at CR had some very big balls trying a stunt like this.

The world is corrupt and people are phony.

So predictable that the ones who took responsible action are being vilified by the co-conspirators.
Parents knew and went along with the charade, as did School Leadership.
I am not giving the kids a pass, but their roles models really let them down; they are just kids.
It seems to merely reflect society and the current state of good ole' "American Values."

Sounds like we all need to tune into MeTV and revisit the moral teachings of Carol and Mike Brady.

OK - here is my legit take.

STL youth football is shady - kids being moved around and money on games ... good amounts of money.

That said, there are no Freshman surprises unless someone moves in over the summer.

As such, the Cardinal Ritter school administration should be gone too. This is a small private school - everyone knows everyone. Especially some young stud.

But let's say the admins did not know the freshmen yet - give the benefit of the doubt. After they beat Naz, SOMEONE had to ask, "Who the Eff is Freshman RB Marvin Burks?" when is name was called over and again that day. "Who is this manchild I've never heard of before today?"

THEN, the dude DISAPPEARS - NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN! Not one admin looked for his paperwork? No one checked to see what happened?

Unfathomable.

Shoot, I bet Trinity, CBC, SLUH, Desmet, St. Mary's were all scratching their heads - "How the Eff did we not know about this Freshman RB Marvin Burks and where is he from?"

They'd have made inquiries. And besides, folks know what people look like - for the love of the Lord, they perpetrated this under the lights and cameras!!!!

That took incredible balls and immense stupidity.

Lots of folks knew about this.

Last edited:
Coaches probably figured if they got caught they'd forfeit but still be in playoffs. Probably never thought they would get fired and season would be cancelled.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Coaches cheat all the time Bill Belichick is one of the biggest cheaters of all time( don't know why he is one one the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL and has a great defensive mind.). Do I agree with this, NO. But it happens from youth sports all the way up. I was talking to a guy from one of the other schools in St. Louis he say everyone school cheats its only cheating if you get caught. He said besides its no different then the college basketball players who was point shaving games. He went on to say it happens people have to deal with it. I had to walk away shaking my head.

But let's say the admins did not know the freshmen yet - give the benefit of the doubt. After they beat Naz, SOMEONE had to ask, "Who the Eff is Freshman RB Marvin Burks?" when is name was called over and again that day. "Who is this manchild I've never heard of before today?"

THEN, the dude DISAPPEARS - NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN! Not one admin looked for his paperwork? No one checked to see what happened?

Unfathomable.

This is what I don't get!

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy from one of the other schools in St. Louis he say everyone school cheats its only cheating if you get caught. He said besides its no different then the college basketball players who was point shaving games. He went on to say it happens people have to deal with it. I had to walk away shaking my head.

Sounds like a great leader for our youth. My God

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy from one of the other schools in St. Louis he say everyone school cheats its only cheating if you get caught. He said besides its no different then the college basketball players who was point shaving games. He went on to say it happens people have to deal with it.

what a sad way to go through life

So blatant and dumb on all accounts. And the kid knew he wasn't supposed to play, and his teammates suffer. He could have pulled the plug on the whole thing.

So blatant and dumb on all accounts. And the kid knew he wasn't supposed to play, and his teammates suffer. He could have pulled the plug on the whole thing.
His Mama knew! Check out the KSDK link ... now she questions if the same penalties happen if it were a different neighborhood. That's the saddest part of this whole deal.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
OK - here is my legit take.

STL youth football is shady - kids being moved around and money on games ... good amounts of money.

That said, there are no Freshman surprises unless someone moves in over the summer.

As such, the Cardinal Ritter school administration should be gone too. This is a small private school - everyone knows everyone. Especially some young stud.

Unfathomable.

Shoot, I bet Trinity, CBC, SLUH, Desmet, St. Mary's were all scratching their heads - "How the Eff did we not know about this Freshman RB Marvin Burks and where is he from?"

They'd have made inquiries. And besides, folks know what people look like - for the love of the Lord, they perpetrated this under the lights and cameras!!!!

That took incredible balls and immense stupidity.

Lots of folks knew about this.

You darn well know the coaches from lutheran North who they played week 2 watched the Naz game film and knew they would have known about this Marvin Burks kid as they too would have been recruiting him.... they knew what went down by week 2 and decided to go along to get along. Don’t want to stir the pot and bring your self under possible scrutiny or be judged as a snitch by the peers in the St. Louis area.

You darn well know the coaches from lutheran North who they played week 2 watched the Naz game film and knew they would have known about this Marvin Burks kid as they too would have been recruiting him.... they knew what went down by week 2 and decided to go along to get along. Don’t want to stir the pot and bring your self under possible scrutiny or be judged as a snitch by the peers in the St. Louis area.
That’s their 2A rival ... maybe they let them bang themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT