ADVERTISEMENT

Canes offer Alek Thomas

Who was the last position player from Illinois picked in the first round. It has been a while. Maybe Cliff Floyd?

Trezniak from Andrew was a supplemental first round pick. Not sure of the year, but pretty sure after Floyd.

Only one from MC ever was Erik Pappas in '84. Denny McClain signed as free agent after graduation from MC not really sure how draft was done in early 60s

Not many 1st round position players from Illinois

Both Joe Benson and Aaron Capista from JCA were 2nd round picks.

Is he going to play football? I usually think kids should play multiple sports, but if he is this good at baseball, and given the risk of injury (and I'm not talking about concussions), I would probably advise against it if I was his family.

Oregon just offered Thomas recently as well. I heard Thomas is the QB next year.

The last position player to be drafted in the 1st round that called the state of Illinois home was 3B Eric Jagielo University of Notre Dame. Jagielo prepped at Downers Grove North and was taken by the New York Yankees in the 2013 draft. Recently traded to the Cincinnati Reds, Jagielo has a good chance of making his MLB debut late this summer.

Reactions: USD24
Only one from MC ever was Erik Pappas in '84. Denny McClain signed as free agent after graduation from MC not really sure how draft was done in early 60s
I know they are pitchers, but MC alum Cesar Carrillo was a 1st round pick from the Padres when he left Miami. He was a 7th round pick out of high school but chose to go to Miami for college instead. Blew his arm out in the majors though.....Sox took that pitcher from Providence in the first round...Homel? He never panned out though.

ADVERTISEMENT