ADVERTISEMENT

Can I replace hot CPL Pick 'Em action with some hot CPL Futures?

thecpsblog

Sep 26, 2017
The ol' twitter machine is going wild with news that Taft's Coach T has resigned to move down to Alabama. Taft used to be a Thursday 4 pm Lane main stay but their success into the top conferences made me miss their games the last few years, as nothing replaces Hig Time. Let's take a look at some futures to who takes over the program.

Matt Walsh (-500) former Taft head coach has spent his last few years at Ridgewood. They say there's no place like home, I think he's headed back there.

Brad Hytrek (-150) former Taft assistant left to coach the upstart Collins triplets at Lakeview and whispers are he's eyeing his return.

Zach Elder (-100) was the DC under Tsarouchas and while I don't know much about him he must be pretty important as he's listed as a coach twice on the always reliable MaxPreps

Coach Percy (+200) Has been building up the youth of CPS for years, he's due his time to shine at a top notch program

Alan J. Rood (+1000) Is all lined up to take the Bishop Mac job, but one of the top programs in CPS comes calling? if they can match his yells, maybe just maybe they can pull him back into the city.

The ol' twitter machine is going wild with news that Taft's Coach T has resigned to move down to Alabama. Taft used to be a Thursday 4 pm Lane main stay but their success into the top conferences made me miss their games the last few years, as nothing replaces Hig Time. Let's take a look at some futures to who takes over the program.

Matt Walsh (-500) former Taft head coach has spent his last few years at Ridgewood. They say there's no place like home, I think he's headed back there.

Brad Hytrek (-150) former Taft assistant left to coach the upstart Collins triplets at Lakeview and whispers are he's eyeing his return.

Zach Elder (-100) was the DC under Tsarouchas and while I don't know much about him he must be pretty important as he's listed as a coach twice on the always reliable MaxPreps

Coach Percy (+200) Has been building up the youth of CPS for years, he's due his time to shine at a top notch program

Alan J. Rood (+1000) Is all lined up to take the Bishop Mac job, but one of the top programs in CPS comes calling? if they can match his yells, maybe just maybe they can pull him back into the city.
Give me $100 on Percy!

Wait, what? The Taft Coach is leaving? As a long time CPL fan, this makes me sad. CPL coaches change over all of the time and no one bats an eye. The money is terrible. The facilities are usually terrible. The support from schools and the district is typically terrible. When a school like Taft, which had been super content to hang in the middle conferences where they could win easy games, starts to try to play with the big boys and compete for CPL championships it is a huge deal. Success in the the CPL is soooooo coach dependent. Hopefully, they make a good hire and don't go back to the old way of doing things up there on the NW side.

Picks?
Matt Walsh - Currently coaching at Ridgewood. Not sure why he would go back to CPS.

Brad Hytrick- Seemed to do a lot with a little at Lakeview. Also familiar with CPL as the head coach at Rauner. Familiar with Taft. Might not be a bad choice.

Zach Elder- He is the current DC at Taft. Seems like the best shot to keep the current staff together. Continuity will be important since contact days start June 7. Might be really tough for a new coach to assemble his staff before then.

Coach Percy- I think anyone that takes this job should at least understand what they will be up against when coaching in the CPL. Percy has been around a long time, so he gets that. Would have to explain in an interview why his defense gave up 50 against Taft this season. Long shot.

Rood? No chance. He has been the chosen one at Bishop Mac for years. Good luck down there coach!

The logical choice at this stage of the game is Elder. Of course, as a CPL fan I've seen enough teams forfeit games, then come back the next week and win by 40, so I expect the unexpected. Good luck to Coach T.

Wait, what? The Taft Coach is leaving? As a long time CPL fan, this makes me sad. CPL coaches change over all of the time and no one bats an eye. The money is terrible. The facilities are usually terrible. The support from schools and the district is typically terrible. When a school like Taft, which had been super content to hang in the middle conferences where they could win easy games, starts to try to play with the big boys and compete for CPL championships it is a huge deal. Success in the the CPL is soooooo coach dependent. Hopefully, they make a good hire and don't go back to the old way of doing things up there on the NW side.

Picks?
Matt Walsh - Currently coaching at Ridgewood. Not sure why he would go back to CPS.

Brad Hytrick- Seemed to do a lot with a little at Lakeview. Also familiar with CPL as the head coach at Rauner. Familiar with Taft. Might not be a bad choice.

Zach Elder- He is the current DC at Taft. Seems like the best shot to keep the current staff together. Continuity will be important since contact days start June 7. Might be really tough for a new coach to assemble his staff before then.

Coach Percy- I think anyone that takes this job should at least understand what they will be up against when coaching in the CPL. Percy has been around a long time, so he gets that. Would have to explain in an interview why his defense gave up 50 against Taft this season. Long shot.

Rood? No chance. He has been the chosen one at Bishop Mac for years. Good luck down there coach!

The logical choice at this stage of the game is Elder. Of course, as a CPL fan I've seen enough teams forfeit games, then come back the next week and win by 40, so I expect the unexpected. Good luck to Coach T.
Contact days start the 7th...maybe for the rest of the state but no chance CPL starts then...legally at least.

@Coach Percy are you gonna go for the job???? please god no...do not ruin a fine program that the great coach T has built over there. The right choice seems to be this guy they call Elder but as will know in CPS they never go with the logical choice. I hope that they will do right by Taft and Coach T and make the best hire they can make.

What are the chances he leaves with his sister? Any chance Rosengard finds someone competent to replace him? I mean it won't happen but its fun to dream.

Reactions: Schwab54
What are the chances he leaves with his sister? Any chance Rosengard finds someone competent to replace him? I mean it won't happen but its fun to dream.
See that chair you’re sitting on? It’s more competent than Jaton so wouldn’t be hard to find someone better for Rosengard. And if Jaton follows his sister I’m sure all of CPS would be thankful.

Reactions: ilovethedew
Intriguing choice. He is a NW side guy. If memory serves correctly, he interviewed for the Taft job after Walsh. Cleary had success at Curie. Would be interesting to see what kind of mods a mechanic like McDonagh would make to the Taft machine.
He is a NW side guy! Lives over by Harlem and Higgins I believe, or at least I see him over in that area often. @thecpsblog put me down for $100 on McDonagh too!

I thought us guys in the CCL formed a dedicated fan base, but we ain't got nothing on this CPL contingent.

I thought us guys in the CCL formed a dedicated fan base, but we ain't got nothing on this CPL contingent.
Always good conversations with the 5 people in the stands on a Thursday afternoon at Eckersall. Even better when the bus is late or someone forgot to order referees. You should join us sometime!

Solorio is dropping. Had a source tell me about it. I guess they didn't do more with less. @Coach Percy should bring it back and get them going! He can do more with less!

Why so much turnover at schools like Taft and Curie with so much potential to win?
I think Coach T was at Taft for 6 years as the head coach, and 10 total, so that isn't unreasonable for any school, especially a CPS school. The biggest issue is CPS. Those particular schools compete against 8A schools with nowhere near 8A budgets. I haven't looked lately, but if memory serves me correctly, there is only budget for 3 varsity coaches. Combine that with budget for 2 lower level coaches, you have five paid guys for the entire program. A team like Loyola has 10 guys coaching Freshman B. Combine that with generally awful facilities, and not the greatest amount of institutional support and you have guys that can only handle doing the work of multiple people for so long.

Congrats to Coach Elder who was named head coach at Taft today per the Taft Football twitter. More importantly you chumps owe me some drinks, for your terrible bets! Let's go...
Seems like a good solid hire from within. Probably keeps that staff together. Taft seems to have been making a lot of positive moves over the past few years, but I have to admit that there was a part of me expecting them to go full CPS and do some sort of national search and wait until August to hire someone, totally killing the momentum of that program. Good to see that didn't happen. Good Luck Coach!

Rumor out there George Washington high school in cps is looking for a new coach! You wants to lead that school!

Rumor out there George Washington high school in cps is looking for a new coach! You wants to lead that school!
Not since 2007 in terms of enrollment reach further west into the 100s, Girls BB fell off with that move.

ADVERTISEMENT