ADVERTISEMENT

Brother Rice @ Montini

go_rice

Sep 4, 2011
Here we go, week 9, two undefeated teams on a collision course for the final CCL Blue title. Game is at Montini, who I admittedly do not know much about. We have no rivalry to speak of with the Broncos, so it doesn’t have the stigma that a matchup with SR, Loyola or MC would have in this situation, but there is so much at stake here. Do the Crusaders pull it out for the program’s first 9-0 varsity season? Who is the favorite in this one? Can Feeto please pick Montini? Let’s get this week underway!

Reactions: Gene K.
Here we go, week 9, two undefeated teams on a collision course for the final CCL Blue title. Game is at Montini, who I admittedly do not know much about. We have no rivalry to speak of with the Broncos, so it doesn’t have the stigma that a matchup with SR, Loyola or MC would have in this situation, but there is so much at stake here. Do the Crusaders pull it out for the program’s first 9-0 varsity season? Who is the favorite in this one? Can Feeto please pick Montini? Let’s get this week underway!

I haven't looked at all of the other games yet, but this one is definitely on my upset radar.

What if Montini wins the last CCL Blue championship in their 1st try? Rice is playing for more than just a 9-0 record and top seed in the playoffs. They are playing for Catholic Blue Pride. They are playing for the pride of the South Side. I mean, imagine the Kings of the Hill in the Chicago Catholic League Blue being the Montini Broncos of Lombard. Not to put any pressure on Rice, but this is no typical game for them.

tenor.gif

What if Montini wins the last CCL Blue championship in their 1st try? Rice is playing for more than just a 9-0 record and top seed in the playoffs. They are playing for Catholic Blue Pride. They are playing for the pride of the South Side. I mean, imagine the Kings of the Hill in the Chicago Catholic League Blue being the Montini Broncos of Lombard. Not to put any pressure on Rice, but this is no typical game for them.

tenor.gif

Bones Bones, Bones. Please don't make this worse than it will already be.

Reactions: Cross Bones

tenor.gif
Love it. And not only from Lombard, but a tiny 5A team as well.

Reactions: Cross Bones
With the weight of the world and CCL blue pride to uphold,... this could spell trouble.

However - The transitive property gives me pause.

Marist - Brother Rice.
Marist - Naz.

Is Montini that much better than Naz? ;)

tenor.gif

What evs....Win or lose, their just lucky they didn’t have to play the new look Mount Carmel Caravan!

You love stirring up shit don’t you? I guess that’s what you gotta do when your team loses 3 in a row :cool:

I’ve been known to stirr a pot or two in my time! But it’s a legit question.

Yup Dub V has lost 3 in a row - but from my perspective they playing with house money - they are better (especially on D - more specifically run D) than I expected and frankly I think they are over achieving with the talent they have.

Edit. - I’m also trying to save Jchill from the posse (Jchill s statement that IC would take Naz) and I knew my transitive Montini comment would draw some of the fire away from JChill!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
CalPreps - not even close...

[2018] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 31, [2018] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 14

Since it’s at Montini, I’ll say BR by 14. BR defense will stop their running back.

I wonder if either team going to rest anyone up for the second season.

The thing is, will Montini play their guys both ways?

I understand that BR is 8A/7A and Montini is 5A but the Crusaders only have 50-55 kids on varsity roster - depending on sophs suiting up and injuries. It’s not like they are running 75+ kids out there like most 8A schools.

I’d venture to say that Montini has as many as BR, if not more on their varsity roster.

I understand that BR is 8A/7A and Montini is 5A but the Crusaders only have 50-55 kids on varsity roster - depending on sophs suiting up and injuries. It’s not like they are running 75+ kids out there like most 8A schools.

I’d venture to say that Montini has as many as BR, if not more on their varsity roster.

Rice has zero players going both ways Montini has 5 or 6.

The is the battle for the visiting bleachers award. I give this one to Brother Rice who will feel like they are being spoiled with the Montini visitors stands as spacious as they are.

Reactions: feeto and Gene K.
Montini's visitor stands are slightly better than BR's. The walk from where you park your car would be a lot shorter to the stands at Montini but with this game being between to 8-0 teams, you better get there early for a half way decent parking spot.

No comment on the outcome of the game from me but would be interested in hearing the rationale behind the predictions made. Got one from McCaravan but would like to hear some more especially from posters whose teams have played both teams THIS YEAR. PC Dad has and he's predicting a much closer game than many others here. Fire away!

Montini 21
BR 17

Montini with a kick return for TD
Montini with a fumble return for TD
Montini with one solid offensive drive ending with a TD on first possession of second half.

BR with one running TD and one passing TD but third scoring drive stopped in the red zone and have to settle for a FG
Turnovers are the difference - BR with 4 turnovers that stimies their offense and puts their D in bad spots all night. Montini plays a clean sheet with no turnovers.

Montini wins the Blue outright.

Reactions: TeeOH
Brother Rice special teams are terrible and may lead to their downfall.

That being said with the way 8A breaks down, if Rice wins they have a nice bracket and could actually make it all the way.

#12 Justin Blake (Montini Alum) gets a start at QB for Iowa Central and makes the most of the opportunity with 8 touchdowns!!

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
I agree Rice's special teams are a hold your breath every time. Losing Pettis (WR-PR) who went down against Leo is going to hurt vs Montini and beyond

I agree Rice's special teams are a hold your breath every time. Losing Pettis (WR-PR) who went down against Leo is going to hurt vs Montini and beyond
How long? They brought in a kicker from the soccer team for kickoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT