BR Predictions

Discussion in 'Edgy's Lost His Mind Free Football Board' started by Southland Fan 2016, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Southland Fan 2016

Southland Fan 2016 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

How is Brother Rice supposed to be this year. I know they lost a lot but how were lower levels?

2. Bowie50

Bowie50 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Their O-line should be solid. I believe they have another stud QB coming through the ranks. Losing Smalling will hurt though.

3. ssi84

ssi84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Their losses to graduation will hurt, especially Smalling, so I could see a small step back from their regular season last year. But they have a lot of talent in the building still and have had very good success on the lower levels the last couple years that should translate nicely to varsity. They may have a couple hiccups in the regular season as the new offensive skill positions start to gel but should be a tough out come playoff time.

4. Cross Bones

Cross Bones Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I saw their freshman team a couple years ago. Looked like some studs to me. One receiver broke about 25 tackles on one TD catch. I think it was a bubble screen. I am aware that that math means each of our defenders missed 2 tackles each and 3 missed 3 all on one play. Seems accurate still.

USD24 likes this.
  5. ssczar76

ssczar76 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They have some talent on both sides of the ball but will be young. They have a tough schedule and might miss the playoffs unless they come up with some upsets. Hoping for the best at 5-4 and only 3 home games won't help.

6. Topiary

Topiary Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Some decent players back - Maroczzas, Sullivan and Hosty back on OL - O'Keefe back at TE. Transfer in from Merriville at RB along with Plunkett/Williams. They've got some decent Junior to bes that will fit in at WR. They do lose 2 huge play makers with Smalling and Houston. Great K in Richardson. On D they have Green, Veal, Ruffin and Means back. Some other guys with good playing experience too. Very tough schedule. Marist game will be telling.

7. krock the house

krock the house Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

They will be a totally different team from the past few years. Junior class is real strong and has a lot of very good football players. Great leadership as well.
    Dare I say they will be run first

7 krock the house, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  8. McCaravan

McCaravan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

6-3...possibly 5-4....but look out next year. Agree Marist game will tell a lot. I got them losing to Marist and Loyola, and a time will tell against MC, PC, and Montini.

Bowie50 likes this.
  9. Bowie50

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I believe both frosh and sophs beat LA last year.

10. Gforce5

Gforce5 Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

LA frosh beat BR

11. McCaravan

Expand Collapse

BR fresh went 5-4 last year, lost to Marist, LA, MC, and PC. But we all know what happens Fresh year means nothing

12. refref01

refref01 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The thing to look at in the Marist game will be how the O line of Rice handles Marist D line. Pretty legit talent going head to head there.

Rice will have to try and keep Marist off the field.

While every year I would think MC runs the best D line out there that Rice would face I think this year it will be Marist.

I also think the schedule does in Rice and they go 4-5 but I thought that 2 years ago as well.

Gotta give them credit they don't shy away from a tough schedule.

13. Topiary

Expand Collapse

Marist losing the returning QB Taylor to hoops only puts Markette (spelling) out there as a Junior. He is supposed to be good. However getting thrown into the fire for his first game.

emdee91 likes this.
  14. Southland Fan 2016

Expand Collapse

Taylor got hurt last year and Markett came in as a sophomore versus Benet for what was basically the conference championship in the ESCC. He looked real good, but that was one game, being full time starter is a whole different situation.

15. McCaravan

Expand Collapse

Markett is very very good. Billy Skalinskey (butchered spelling Im sure) is also going to build on his Soph year. They'll have a big year this year and watch out for this duo as seniors in 2018

16. Cmon Now

Cmon Now New Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Rice is loaded up front and skill, really good returning starters, in addition the stud senior, D1ish RB transfer from Indiana too. Prob a 3+ point fav in opener against Marist even on the road. Rice should do very well in CCL, then playoffs.

17. Voodoo Tatum 21

Voodoo Tatum 21 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow really? Isn't Marist loaded with a bunch of FBS and FCS guys as well? I was thinking Marist might be the Fav and also one of the teams in the mix for a state title?

capnbillhitters likes this.
  18. Topiary

Expand Collapse

I would agree Marist at home with McCabe (IU), Teague (MN), Ivy (WVU), Harrell (FBS MAC and Navy), McKenzie (FCS), Greene (FCS) and Meehan (FCS) is going to be a tough test. Rice has Maroczas (IU), Richardson (NIU), Veal (MAC offers) and perhaps Ruffin and Green (who might get FCS type offers).

19. Southland Fan 2016

Expand Collapse

From what I have read between all of the threads and articles about Marist combined with the uncertainty people have had with rice in this thread, I would be stunned if Rice was favored in that opener. Sounds like Marist is significantly the better team but that is why they play the game.

20. Topiary

Expand Collapse

Agree Marist is a legitimate 8A contender with LA - even losing Taylor their returning QB they will still be a tough team to beat.

21. Topiary

Expand Collapse

OrangeWhips - what's the evaluation on Marist?

22. McCaravan

Expand Collapse

Last year I won a lot of money and beers betting that Rice would not only win, they would win by 2 scores over Marist. They won by 3 scores. I knew they couldn't stop Smallings. Smallings is gone, athletes like him come once a decade. I will not be betting on BR this year. Marist won't smoke them, but they win by 10-13 points

Bowie50 likes this.
  23. Bowie50

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Could not agree more. Marist is loaded this year and very well coached. They have been on the verge for a while now.

McCaravan likes this.
  24. Wittymoniker1

Wittymoniker1 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

C'mon now, Son.

25. 3OrangeWhips

3OrangeWhips Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Marist is the definitive favorite at home. I'll say 6.5

3 special talents in Teague, Ivy and McCabe. Solid skills (RB-Harrell is underrated), above-average O-line and in my opinion a QB that is a better fit at in that system - a lot of roll right, roll left with the ability to tuck and run. I believe the QB-Skalitzky rushed for 1,000 yards in 2015 which was a major part of their offense during that state runner-up campaign.

BR might be a more "well-rounded" team than recent years and will likely improve each week but questions at QB and in the secondary aren't a recipe for success in a week 1 affair at Red & White Stadium.

If BR pulls off the upset, it will have to be a lower-scoring game in which their front 7 (lead by Veal/FBS) is as athletic/strong as they hope and they own time of possession behind their potentially solid O-line (maybe 3 FBS/FCS when all said and done) and welcomed addition at RB (FBS/FCS).

Now if these two outfits meet in week 10 or 11...

26. refref01

refref01 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If the Rice RB transfer is indeed that good the game will be a lot closer than I previously thought. The Junior QB at Rice is better than the Marist junior(s) it will depend on if Rice goes with the younger guy.

I thought Rice also got a WR from Bremen but could be wrong.

The continued issue I see with Rice is they can easily get out coached. If they have a defensive coordinator this year they should be much better on that side of the ball. Badke did it last year and well.......we saw how that ended.

27. DeanOfSelection

DeanOfSelection Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What if Ron gives pre-game talk?

3OrangeWhips likes this.
  28. 3OrangeWhips

Expand Collapse

There is a WR/FS transfer from Bremen who will be a top 5 player for them.

29. Cross Bones

Cross Bones Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Ron! please say the !

30. Wittymoniker1

Wittymoniker1 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, now, this changes things. Is Ron wearing his #6 jersey to this pre-game speech? Are the sleeves rolled up? 14 - 0, my friend.

Although the Mustang won on the road led by the lefty in a squeaker, it was RON who won our hearts over that night!

31. ssi84

ssi84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What grade and what is the eligibility situation for him? Thought public to private was an automatic year out.

32. USD24

USD24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not always.

33. ESCC Alum

ESCC Alum Member
    Expand Collapse

Does BR even recruit 8th graders anymore? Might as well be a semester abroad program for public school stand outs...

Cmon Now and Irish LB like this.
  34. 3OrangeWhips

Expand Collapse

I think they grew tired of a certain ESCC school offering additional financial aid to kids who had already tested at BR.

35. McCaravan

Expand Collapse

As you can see by my handle I'm a MC guy, but I have a nephew, cousin and neighbor who play or have played for BR so I've seen BR numerous times. Beane is much better then Sullivan. Sullivan may have more ability but Beane makes better decisions. Neither are as good as Borelli or Miller and they don't have Smallings and Co. to throw to. My 2 cents the transfer from Indiana is good from what I hear, but I think Jr. RB Plunkett is very good and should be the main guy unless this transfer is that good. Starting Plunkett now will make him all the better next year. I wouldn't put all your chips on a transfer from Bremen being the savior.

35 McCaravan, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Bowie50 likes this.
  36. 2016brfan

2016brfan New Member
    Expand Collapse

Interesting about the Bremen transfer, didn't hear about that. I've heard through the grape vine that Sully will be the starting QB... watched him a little bit during sophomore year, he can throw the ball well. After the last couple seasons, I think coach knows that we have to get a solid defense and I think that they'll continue to improve there. Don't know anything about how the freshman class looks, can anyone fill me in?

37. krock the house

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Record didn't indicate it but the freshman class last year is the most talented class in the school. Reminded me of the low level providence teams from the late 90s early 2000s. Didn't have the best record but you can tell they will be successful at the varsity level.
    Very good QB that was hurt most of last year which hurt.
    Rice will be a very different team from the past few years. Hard nose D and running the ball.
    Veal, if stays healthy will be all state and CCL blue d player of the year

2016brfan likes this.
  38. 2016brfan

2016brfan New Member
    Expand Collapse

I meant the incoming freshman class, I should have been more specific, my bad haha

39. krock the house

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Another strong class that they are extremely happy about. A lot of size and a lot speed
    But No QB at all.

2016brfan likes this.
  40. chitown-irish

chitown-irish Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sullivan at qb probably fits better for br if their strengths are O&D lines. Sullivan is bigger more athletic runner. Look for a lot more zone reads out of br this year.