ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 parents fighting back

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
OSU, Iowa, PSU parents all formally petitioning the Big 10 to reinstate football along with other demands...this comes off the heels of doctors who have pointed out the main study the Big 10 committee used to cancel (with heart conditions and long term effects) is pretty much junk using faulty data. Even the information/misinformation has infiltrated college football decisions now. The PSU parent letter was posted on Twitter today, interested to see if it leads to answers! Hint...it probably won't.

Reactions: Gene K.
OSU, Iowa, PSU parents all formally petitioning the Big 10 to reinstate football along with other demands...this comes off the heels of doctors who have pointed out the main study the Big 10 committee used to cancel (with heart conditions and long term effects) is pretty much junk using faulty data. Even the information/misinformation has infiltrated college football decisions now. The PSU parent letter was posted on Twitter today, interested to see if it leads to answers! Hint...it probably won't.
Almost all data at this point can be considered "faulty" data

I don’t think conference leaders are gonna say “yeah you’re right, forget about it” at this point. And not to get political but with a certain presidential candidate laying down his cards and the media kicking it to another level, it’s an uphill battle. Pray for spring football.

Too much money stands to be lost by not playing football at all for the year. Spring practice will likely be replaced by the spring season, whatever that looks like. Financially, most of the Big 10 athletic departments are seriously in debt from building their taj mahal facilities...and because of their contracts with major donors, they can't just stop or cancel many of those projects. TV money is huge, but playing in empty stadiums (PSU, OSU, Rutgers, Maryland) or 20% capacity is going to force default for many of the athletic departments...Other than the March Madness, early February to the beginning of April is pretty much sports doldrums...TV money will likely be available...And filling up the stadium will generate some cash - perhaps some hoops / football doubleheaders in places...

Meanwhile recruiters will probably be done by then. Three stars are likely to latch onto the "best" offer they have because there is no promise of any more offers...and the possibility of the offers they have disappearing. Some kids will drop to FCS or DII schools because they need to set up their scholarship, and no better offers have arisen because they didn't play in the fall...

Reactions: Gene K.
My guess is @jwarigaku wrote that PSU letter.

Those parents are wasting their time. I applaud the effort. However, it's like talking to a wall. I don't like seeing time wasted. It's our most precious commodity.

Those parents are wasting their time. I applaud the effort. However, it's like talking to a wall. I don't like seeing time wasted. It's our most precious commodity.
As of August 12, 2020 there have been 82 Covid “Related” deaths in the entire US in the 0 thru 18 age bracket. Per the CDC.
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Among-Ages-0-18-Years/nr4s-juj3
There are 81,624,000 people in the US aged 0 thru 18. Per the US Census Department.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-su...19/age-sex-composition/2019gender_table1.xlsx

As of August 12, 2020 there is a .000001 chance of dying of Covid in the 0 thru 18 age bracket in the US.

Quite frankly these are young men and not High School or Pop Warner players. The BIG10 isn't going to do what Mom and Dad tell them to do. Next they'll be demanding minimum playing time of ten snaps per game and everyone who practices gets to play on Saturday.

hqdefault.jpg

Their mothers wrote a note?

As of August 12, 2020 there have been 82 Covid “Related” deaths in the entire US in the 0 thru 18 age bracket. Per the CDC.
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Among-Ages-0-18-Years/nr4s-juj3
There are 81,624,000 people in the US aged 0 thru 18. Per the US Census Department.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-su...19/age-sex-composition/2019gender_table1.xlsx

As of August 12, 2020 there is a .000001 chance of dying of Covid in the 0 thru 18 age bracket in the US.
What's your point?

It's not what the Medical Profession knows about this disease, its what they don't know. What they don't know are the effects, long and short term, of being infected with this virus;

"SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, was initially thought to primarily impact the lungs — SARS stands for “severe acute respiratory syndrome.” Now we know there is barely a part of the body this infection spares. And emerging data show that some of the virus’s most potent damage is inflicted on the heart.

Eduardo Rodriguez was poised to start as the No. 1 pitcher for the Boston Red Sox this season. But in July the 27-year-old tested positive for Covid-19. Feeling “100 years old,” he told reporters: “I’ve never been that sick in my life, and I don’t want to get that sick again.” His symptoms abated, but a few weeks later he felt so tired after throwing about 20 pitches during practice that his team told him to stop and rest.

Further investigation revealed that he had a condition many are still struggling to understand: Covid-19-associated myocarditis. Mr. Rodriguez won’t be playing baseball this season."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/opinion/covid-19-heart-disease.html

Reactions: Zebra and au6890
Myocarditis is not a new thing. It is a common symptom from the flu, cold, hepatitis that affect almost 1.5 million a year. The fact that doctors are acting like this is a new thing or shocked by it is pretty telling (they really aren't in my opinion- just more shock talk to easily cancel things). Again, something that may affect some, but not the majority- but we have to act like it will affect everyone in these days.

Next time someone gets myocarditis from the flu but not covid, will we hear anything? I'll hang up and listen.

Ohio State fball dad flying to big 10 HQ to confront them on cancelling. Ridiculous gesture but I love it. Bring the heat. And I look forward to SEC and Big 12 football making everyone looking dumb. And for big 10 commissioner to watch his own son play SEC football but tell everyone in big 10 it's not safe.

Myocarditis is not a new thing. It is a common symptom from the flu, cold, hepatitis that affect almost 1.5 million a year. The fact that doctors are acting like this is a new thing or shocked by it is pretty telling (they really aren't in my opinion- just more shock talk to easily cancel things). Again, something that may affect some, but not the majority- but we have to act like it will affect everyone in these days.

Next time someone gets myocarditis from the flu but not covid, will we hear anything? I'll hang up and listen.

Ohio State fball dad flying to big 10 HQ to confront them on cancelling. Ridiculous gesture but I love it. Bring the heat. And I look forward to SEC and Big 12 football making everyone looking dumb. And for big 10 commissioner to watch his own son play SEC football but tell everyone in big 10 it's not safe.
"The hypocrisy knows no bounds"

The election infection. Please go hide under your beds forever already. Let the living live.

We’ll let you know when the vaccine that will be as effective (or ineffective) as the seasonal flu vaccine is ready.

Yep, the hypocrisy surrounding this whole thing is disgusting and ridiculous...in all quarters.But they don't care. No matter what facts you show them and no matter how it shames them, they just go on.

I am hoping beyond hope the SEC, ACC and Big 12 stick to their guns and make the effort to play. And, I especially hope they pull it off. If they do, then I think all the other conferences shouldn't be allowed to play in the spring. Too bad, you had your chance to play and you chose not to. See you in the fall of 2021.

This is not to say those conferences don't understand the risk. They do. And like I said in another thread. Just because I disagree with a lot surrounding the virus, it doesn't mean I don't believe in it. I do. But, I understand the risks and I am taking the proper precautions. People like me are choosing life over fear.

ADVERTISEMENT