ADVERTISEMENT

Best team in IL

Who is the best team in IL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That will be hard to pick. The reason is top teams do not play each other. We can sit here and say who we think is the top but none of that matters unless they play. Then and only then would there be a legitimate claim.

Reactions: MADNOLE
I think the list is incomplete, and clearly NV is 2nd at best, but if you are a fan of one of these teams, you don't want to see any of the other six teams until late November...the later the better. At the same time, these teams shouldn't be afraid of each other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Alabama could beat all of them...lol.

Reactions: Bowie50
That will be hard to pick. The reason is top teams do not play each other. We can sit here and say who we think is the top but none of that matters unless they play. Then and only then would there be a legitimate claim.
I think a lot of the top teams do in-fact play each other. Often times they are in conferences with each other AND seek each other out in non-conference games. For example Glenbard W and Maine S play each other. Maine S and Mt. Carmel play. ESL and Batavia play. Etc.

I think the list is incomplete, and clearly NV is 2nd at best, but if you are a fan of one of these teams, you don't want to see any of the other six teams until late November...the later the better. At the same time, these teams shouldn't be afraid of each other. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Alabama could beat all of them...lol.

Who am I missing? Also, is it clear that NV is 2nd at best? Can a lesser team never spring an upset? If two equal teams play does it mean they will tie? When a team loses on not getting a 2pt conversion at the end of the game against arguably the best team I leave them in the conversation for the best team, but I am not always right.

Talk to me in 11 weeks.

giphy.gif

I will.

I think a lot of the top teams do in-fact play each other. Often times they are in conferences with each other AND seek each other out in non-conference games. For example Glenbard W and Maine S play each other. Maine S and Mt. Carmel play. ESL and Batavia play. Etc.

Who am I missing? Also, is it clear that NV is 2nd at best? Can a lesser team never spring an upset? If two equal teams play does it mean they will tie? When a team loses on not getting a 2pt conversion at the end of the game against arguably the best team I leave them in the conversation for the best team, but I am not always right.

giphy.gif

I will.
I might remove NV and add HF. But I've been reading the EST vs NV thread and am apprehensive to say much more out of fear of driving your thread into a ditch, too.

In sports and really anything that comes down to a single elimination format, the best team doesn't always win a title. I enjoy these discussions before state title weekend because if you're just going off of pure talent, you can have arguments and cases made during the regular season. I think flyers or lwe are best right now overall.

After playing MC and GW I don’t think they are #1. Both will be tough to beat in the playoffs though. GW offense is loaded with backs but I worry if they have to pass. Their defense should live up to the Hitter standard.
MC also has weapons. They have very good speed and a great kicker. Come playoff time the offense should be better. I picked Eastside. Besides being a fan I think that they are really loaded with talent and Sunkett will keep them hungry. All gas no brakes!

After playing MC and GW I don’t think they are #1. Both will be tough to beat in the playoffs though. GW offense is loaded with backs but I worry if they have to pass. Their defense should live up to the Hitter standard.
/QUOTE]

GW has to prove it in the 8A playoffs. They have been run off their home field the last 3 years.

I voted for East Side.

Who after three weeks has better wins across the board?
Remember this criteria come playoff time. The best win being a 2pt conversion goalline stand against NV likely will come back to bite lol

Everyone forgets "off the bus" factor - but OK. Who has the better resume so far?
I would say it's arguable. I think NC beats Batavia. NV was a TD better than Stevie. I'll give you Trinity over Bradley. LWE has been decisive in each win though. But I'll even grant you ESL's stronger schedule through 3 weeks. What I'm saying is remember the resume argument in week 14.

That conversion would have tied the game up, not win it.

Yes, I was there. And was thoroughly entertained even though I'm a defense guy. But the closeness of the game puts us in a precarious situation given all the hyperbole surrounding the Flyers this early season. Either NV is also other worldly or ESL isn't (or some combination of the two). No one was calling NV a top team in the state with a 7 point win over Stevie nor the 17 point win over GBN.

I just keep it consistent.

NV played tough against a top tier team and earned the positive recognition it's receiving. ESL was uncertain about the outcome of the game until after the last play of the game, by an above average team, and therefore earned the questions they're receiving. On to week 4.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I would say it's arguable. I think NC beats Batavia. NV was a TD better than Stevie. I'll give you Trinity over Bradley. LWE has been decisive in each win though. But I'll even grant you ESL's stronger schedule through 3 weeks. What I'm saying is remember the resume argument in week 14.

Yes, I was there. And was thoroughly entertained even though I'm a defense guy. But the closeness of the game puts us in a precarious situation given all the hyperbole surrounding the Flyers this early season. Either NV is also other worldly or ESL isn't (or some combination of the two). No one was calling NV a top team in the state with a 7 point win over Stevie nor the 17 point win over GBN.

I just keep it consistent.

I actually agree with you so don't take it the wrong way. I am also saying NV may be a lot better than people think. Time will tell. I am also stating in the world of turf fields, grass fields after a day of rain with a huge crown is definitely a home field advantage.

Should ESL be questioned as the number 1 team, absolutely. Anytime you play a close game that comes with the territory. I do not agree that NC will beat Batavia and neither would Stevenson from what I seen on film. Besides all of that, there aren’t too many teams that will travel 5 hours twice in three weeks and beat those teams on their home openers and senior night! It’s real easy to talk about what a team can do without travel. What is LWE record traveling down to the Metro East? I witnessed the Ofallon game but I can’t remember the Eville game.

What is LWE record traveling down to the Metro East? I witnessed the Ofallon game but I can’t remember the Eville game.

Not sure that its valid to compare different years.
LWE beat Edwardsville in 2010 and 2018, Belleville West in 2016 , lost at Edwardsville in 2013 and to o'Fallon in 2009..

Not sure that its valid to compare different years.
LWE beat Edwardsville in 2010 and 2018, Belleville West in 2016 , lost at Edwardsville in 2013 and to o'Fallon in 2009..

Only speaking on results after traveling 5 hours. I believe LWE is 0-2 when traveling to Southern Illinois and 3-0 when at home or two hours away. Point is traveling has an effect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT