ADVERTISEMENT

Best New Hire?

TonPlugZeroLock

Nov 19, 2016
Which school made the best new hire in your opinion? Fitzgerald at York? DeBoeuf to Prospect? Lynch to Mount Carmel? Arthur Ray to Curie? Horeni to DGN?

Who won the off season?

Every new hire seems to be a home run, so I'm interested in seeing which home run was the best.

Which school made the best new hire in your opinion? Fitzgerald at York? DeBoeuf to Prospect? Lynch to Mount Carmel? Arthur Ray to Curie? Horeni to DGN?

Who won the off season?

York with Fitzgerald. I think that the Downers hire is good too. Hoerini was an assistant to Fitzgerald when he was at SF. I think that the WSC is going to be really good very soon.

Reactions: i011763
I would say Carmel has the best new hire........oh, wait, never mind, they haven't hired anyone yet!

Reactions: lkhammer57
Interested to see how all these play out as I know that two hires in this coaching cycle were passed over for their first choice of jobs.

Not sure which school hired the best because it looks like every school did their homework when they hired, but I think DeBoeuf and Horeni will have their work cut out for them.

For Horeni, I think he will have a bit tougher road because the West Suburban Silver is much tougher than the Central Suburban North.

*Fitzgerald to York will see the biggest, fastest turnaround, due to schedule and talent.

*Antioch gets Proffitt as D.C., Carmel's D.C. Coach Rejic, and a couple of transfers already to a program that has gone 19-2 the last 2 years. That is a pretty good off season pick up.

*Fitzgerald to York will see the biggest, fastest turnaround, due to schedule and talent.

*Antioch gets Proffitt as D.C., Carmel's D.C. Coach Rejic, and a couple of transfers already to a program that has gone 19-2 the last 2 years. That is a pretty good off season pick up.

Agree on Fitz. Heard the O was the problem in Elmhurst, he will instantly provide stability.

Antioch is Antioch, that conference runs through Lakes, last year not withstanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Antioch go 9-0 the past two years? Seems like the conference hasn't run through Lakes since 2015.

The Houston Rockets won two championships in the 90’s too and nobody gets them confused with the Bulls.

I stand by my statement. Lakes Football is the team

So Lakes Football is the team even though they have not won the conference since 2015(this will be the 2018 season), and the man that built the program into what it is will now be gone for 2 years?

Is their a mystique in the air that permeates Lakes & magically makes them better this year even though they haven't beaten Antioch since 2015 & no longer have the coach that made them a powerhouse?

So Lakes Football is the team even though they have not won the conference since 2015(this will be the 2018 season), and the man that built the program into what it is will now be gone for 2 years?

Is their a mystique in the air that permeates Lakes & magically makes them better this year even though they haven't beaten Antioch since 2015 & no longer have the coach that made them a powerhouse?

Who better to lead them to the promise land then the Mayor Of Lindenhurst, Coach Eder (may have been the best new hire a year ago)? Guy went to Antioch, saw how the sausage was made as a coach and managed to keep the entire staff in place at Lakes.

Playoffs 8 straight years, conference champs 5/7 years, didn't lose a conference game for 5 years. I'd say they're thriving. I stand by what I said.

Is this sarcasm or is it really happening?
In order for them to announce a coach, said coach has to accept whatever offer Carmel's Kangaroo court (committee) has tendered. Expecting a screw-up in that regard so that the candidate who eventually accepts it knows all-too-well he wasn't the first choice.

Not criticizing Lakes Football at all. They are a consistent program and have been for awhile now. I was just pointing out the fact that you said the conference runs through Lakes and it actually doesn't. Antioch hasn't lost a conference game since the conference was created. That includes when Mertens was there in 2016.

It's Lakes conference, everyone else is just playing in it. Including the Sequoits.

Anyway - lets continue to stay focused on the thread's subject. Who is this years Jordan Eder? Best new coach?

Who better to lead them to the promise land then the Mayor Of Lindenhurst, Coach Eder (may have been the best new hire a year ago)? Guy went to Antioch, saw how the sausage was made as a coach and managed to keep the entire staff in place at Lakes.

Playoffs 8 straight years, conference champs 5/7 years, didn't lose a conference game for 5 years. I'd say they're thriving. I stand by what I said.

It's Lakes conference, everyone else is just playing in it. Including the Sequoits.

Anyway - lets continue to stay focused on the thread's subject. Who is this years Jordan Eder? Best new coach?

You and Coach Eder must be friends. Coach Mertens did an awfully good job in his first year at Lake Zurich. You could even say that Mertens was a better new hire than Eder. Coach Hjorth did an awfully good job in his first year at Stevenson.

You and Coach Eder must be friends. Coach Mertens did an awfully good job in his first year at Lake Zurich. You could even say that Mertens was a better new hire than Eder. Coach Hjorth did an awfully good job in his first year at Stevenson.

Never met the guy. But those are both valid points. A state title game is nothing to sneeze at.

In order for them to announce a coach, said coach has to accept whatever offer Carmel's Kangaroo court (committee) has tendered. Expecting a screw-up in that regard so that the candidate who eventually accepts it knows all-too-well he wasn't the first choice.
School is a disaster.

The school is fine. My kids thrived there, and are thriving in college.

Foosball1 likes to paint with broad brush strokes. He is obviously a football first Dad.

He chose to tag Carmel as a school 'divided' in an earlier post but couldn't expound in his own words. My kids didn't see a school 'divided' at all from a student perspective. A football community divided, probably.

Again, broad brush strokes from a whiny and wimpy parent.

Reactions: USD24

Foosball1 likes to paint with broad brush strokes. He is obviously a football first Dad.

He chose to tag Carmel as a school 'divided' in an earlier post but couldn't expound in his own words. My kids didn't see a school 'divided' at all from a student perspective. A football community divided, probably.

From what I have been told the interview committee didn't include the AD. Further, when asked why the AD wasn't a part of the process, the board said he had other duties and was involved in other interviews.

This coaching search has been a dumpster fire. If Carmel really goes to EFT to hire an unproven "Quarterback whisperer", then it shows they have learned nothing from past failures.

Reactions: foosball1
From what I have been told the interview committee didn't include the AD. Further, when asked why the AD wasn't a part of the process, the board said he had other duties and was involved in other interviews.

This coaching search has been a dumpster fire. If Carmel really goes to EFT to hire an unproven "Quarterback whisperer", then it shows they have learned nothing from past failures.
Had a very viable candidate who applied - A Carmel alum with strong credentials and plenty of experience. The committee didn't even grant him a phone interview. The school might want to save the postage and not mail him their quarterly request to give to the Carmel fund. Atrocious!

According to Jon Kerr, Blake Annen from Lake Forest Academy is the new Carmel Catholic Head Football coach.

Reactions: lkhammer57
According to Jon Kerr, Blake Annen from Lake Forest Academy is the new Carmel Catholic Head Football coach.
Looking at the IHSA page for Lake Forest Academy, and it has the head coach position blank, but it looks like he has a record of 11-14 over 3 seasons in 8 man it looks like. Only 1 winning season. I might be a little too harsh, but yikes! It seemed like there was a decent amount of buzz around this job and this is who they hired. Maybe I am being ignorant and not knowing the situation well enough, but from the surface this doesn't look too good, but maybe I am wrong. Either way congrats to coach Annen, and good luck to him and the Carmel community!

Looking at the IHSA page for Lake Forest Academy, and it has the head coach position blank, but it looks like he has a record of 11-14 over 3 seasons in 8 man it looks like. Only 1 winning season. I might be a little too harsh, but yikes! It seemed like there was a decent amount of buzz around this job and this is who they hired. Maybe I am being ignorant and not knowing the situation well enough, but from the surface this doesn't look too good, but maybe I am wrong. Either way congrats to coach Annen, and good luck to him and the Carmel community!
Wow..........This one has me dumbfounded. But then again I have been told I don't know anything about high school football. I hope it works out for the new coach and the school!

Last edited:
The more I think about it, maybe this is a better hire than I first thought. Looking at a situation that is close to me, John Holecek was a former nfl player who was an assistant coach for two years at a losing St. Ignatius program, prior to being hired as the head man for the Ramblers. It seemed to have worked out for Loyola, so maybe Annen will follow the same path of a former NFL player who may have not been apart of a strong winning high school program. Like I said good luck to Carmel and Coach Annen, but still not the first kind of candidate I would have expected.

Great hire. What CoM needed and his time at LFA was one season and he got the job a week before the season started. Winning is tough at LFA when you have kids from other countries who know very little about American football on the team being asked to contribute because of low numbers.

I definitely could have elaborated on my post CCHS fan, but I have no interest in responding to you. We are on a football forum, so I am not referring to your kids awesome experience in band camp...Idiot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT