ADVERTISEMENT

Best location to host the IHSA State Football Title Games

Best location to host the IHSA Football State Title Games?

• Memorial Stadium U of Ill

Votes: 25 18.7%
  • Huskie Stadium NIU

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Hancock Stadium ISU

Votes: 51 38.1%
  • Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium North Central College

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Saluki Stadium SIU

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.5%

• Total voters

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Off-season question...figured what the heck.

I included sites who are capable of hosting these games per the current contract requirements (field turf surfaces/hotels available/available access for TV etc).

My current thoughts? I think the IHSA backed into a good thing when they began rotating years between Illinois and NIU and hope the next time the contract is up they stick with the rotating schedule....

I keep hearing that ISU will be a major player when the contract comes up next....not sure how enamored U of I is these days with the games.....I know they want Hoops back so maybe they also bid again for football hoping to also land favor for Hoops?

I love Saluki Stadium but the distance for a large majority of schools doesn't fly. North Central College would be fun but too small?

I really think we could see the next go around as half ISU and half NIU.....

Post your thoughts etc here.

U of I... way to big

SIU.... good venue but to far for most of the state.

NC... downtown Naperville businesses would never allow them to bid on it and it’s to small.

NIU... ideal venue but out of the way for Southern IL

ISU... has always been the best location and even better with the new stadium.

Having had kids play for a title in Champaign, I have some experience with this... A number of those kids a year later had the opportunity to play hoops at the United Center in front of family & friends (like a 2 pm game, then stayed for the Bulls game that night). What I learned is that kids find playing in big stadiums, even way too big stadiums, really cool...It's why I would not find the size of Memorial Stadium as a negative. But realistically, few teams are making the state finals from very far south of there...

Took a group of kids to SIU for football & basketball camp...They loved the renovated SIU Arena, and thought Saluki Stadium was pretty cool...But SIU loses because of geography...

Took the kid to an EIU football game and hoops camp...He thought O'Brien was an overgrown high school stadium, and not much better of Lantz...EIU is out because of inadequate facilities and geography...The Panthers have track down to a science, though...

WIU has the same issues as EIU...

I think North Central would elicit the same reaction - overgrown high school field. And I have to think it is way too small...Joliet Memorial would likely be better. North Central has been an effective soccer host, though...

Soldier Field...grass...out...if they ever went with turf, it could be really awesome...Northwestern Dyche Stadium/Ryan Field loses the geography war, even if it hosted a split field way back when...

NIU...Huskie Stadium has proven to be a good host. Facility is plenty large enough to host, even if it isn't the most ornate stadium around, and not going to elicit overgrown high school stadium...

ISU...Renovated Hanson Stadium isn't going to confuse anyone with a high school stadium. Plenty big, but not huge. Geographically the closest to the center of the state, good access from all directions...Clearly the geographical winner if all 8 classes have to be at the same site. Hosted for years prior to being renovated, much better host site now...If the Redbirds want the finals to return, I figure it is their bid to lose...

Reactions: Konza and Relist8
NIU is great. Outside of the apartments hovering outside I love that stadium.

Agree UI is too big. ISU is perfect

Reactions: RockSoup
As long as we have bad weather in IL and TV it doesn't matter, people will not be going unless their team is playing. So which stadium looks better on TV?

Didn’t NU host one year? Why does it have to be field turf? I think NU would be perfect for 5A-8A.
Yes NW hosted long before turf was written into the contract...and why? Ever seen a beaten up grass field after one game let alone say 6 or 7 games played before the final 8A game?

Reactions: eireog
What is the standard amount of seating do these games draw?I was at u of i for 6a 7a 8a there wasn’t that many people.

The Bridgeview soccer stadium now that the Fire is leaving will be perfect. I saw Seat Geek Stadium mentioned above, if that's what its called, Ive always known it as Toyota Park, but yeah its a natural. I also think a weekly Chicago Catholic League (or MetroMix, or whatever we're referring to the new conference as) Game of the Week or doubleheader should be looked at for the venue. I think it would be something big. Of course, it looks like districts will destroy all of this next year.

The Bridgeview soccer stadium now that the Fire is leaving will be perfect. I saw Seat Geek Stadium mentioned above, if that's what its called, Ive always known it as Toyota Park, but yeah its a natural. I also think a weekly Chicago Catholic League (or MetroMix, or whatever we're referring to the new conference as) Game of the Week or doubleheader should be looked at for the venue. I think it would be something big. Of course, it looks like districts will destroy all of this next year.

It’s natural grass

Hanson field with the old turf and giant hump running across the length of the field.

Reactions: DigitalCy
I'd like Soldier Field but it would get in the way of the Prep Bowl...

Ron Wrather Memorial. I mean it's close to both 355 and I55 so it's easy to get to. probably sufficient parking in the lot and surrounding neighborhoods.

Reactions: superac777
Another important aspect of the location is the locker room experience for both the teams and officials. Memorial Stadium has lots of room, Big 10 locker rooms, etc. NIU is great for the fans, but the logistics down in the guts of the stadium are a real cluster for teams and officials on game day. I have not yet been under the renovated stands at ISU, but suspect it may be similar to NIU. Anyone have a player's perspective on the locker room and pre-game component of the experience?

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
All.... Normal University from the CS8 plays all of their home games at Hancock Stadium. It's a great venue to watch a game in other than what I consider a couple of negatives. Even though IHSA championship game attendance in some classes can be small parking is spread out over several areas of unequal distance. I've always liked the huge lots where everyone is within shouting distance where one can do a walk about and tell fibs with the opposition fans on how their team will perform.

The second is a big one with me. No tailgating. That coming not only from the Pioneers administration as team host but a regular rule (I'm told) as well by ISU. WHAT! At the U of I and NIU that's not the case. If ISU manages to get the contract for the championship games they had better over those two days allow the breaking of bread and get togethers on their precious asphalt. Ratsy

Yes NW hosted long before turf was written into the contract...and why? Ever seen a beaten up grass field after one game let alone say 6 or 7 games played before the final 8A game?
Another example of me looking past the obvious.

All.... Normal University from the CS8 plays all of their home games at Hancock Stadium. It's a great venue to watch a game in other than what I consider a couple of negatives. Even though IHSA championship game attendance in some classes can be small parking is spread out over several areas of unequal distance....

The second is a big one with me. No tailgating... Ratsy

The Redbird parking guide indicates which lots can and cannot be tailgated in...I assume, therefore, that no tailgating only applies to Normal U-High games. And parking lots may be smaller, but plenty of them are connected together around Hanson, Horton & Redbird Arena...The ISU students are gone for Thanksgiving: I've been to Redbird hoops games over winter break and parking is like a ghost town, so I don't see parking issues.

Ratsy does raise an interesting question of what happens if U-High makes it to the title game, playing at home...

Another important aspect of the location is the locker room experience for both the teams and officials. Memorial Stadium has lots of room, Big 10 locker rooms, etc. NIU is great for the fans, but the logistics down in the guts of the stadium are a real cluster for teams and officials on game day. I have not yet been under the renovated stands at ISU, but suspect it may be similar to NIU. Anyone have a player's perspective on the locker room and pre-game component of the experience?

Zebra,

The addition of the Yordon Center has improved the NIU football facilities locker rooms etc 1000 percent so it's really no issue at all teams get to warm up inside the indoor facility before the games etc.

The rumor is that the Fire will be leaving Seat Geek Stadium at the end of the season. If the Village of Bridgeview was smart they would switch to synthetic turf. That would make the stadium an option to host some high school and college football events and maybe the IHSA finals for both soccer and football

And they would make enough money by doing this to cover the $250 million dollar at Seat Geek? They had the naming rights void for 2 plus years and still had Toyota Park facade advertisements because...well it is Illinois. Bridgeview has a stone park and is not going to make any cash off of it by hosting weekend pig roasts let alone HS football.

1. ISU.. best location for entire state, Bloomington-Normal has plenty of hotels and dining/drinking options, stadium is perfect size. If they want it, should be a no brainer.
2. U of I, same as above, but stadium is too big
3. NIU. Stadium size is perfect, but location is not ideal and who wants to spend the day in Dekalb?

Other options aren't do not make sense due to location of natural grass

Reactions: Relist8
With apologies to the residents of Bridgeview, Summit and Bedford Park, I do not see SeatGeek Stadium as a HS State FB Finals destination of choice, particularly for fans from outside the area. Locals surely have their favorite haunts for food and drink, but rolling down Harlem from either the north or south to the stadium as a first-time visitor is not the most inviting of drives. IHSA sport finals that draw from the whole state must be more centrally located. It is not an accident that basketball, track/field, softball, G volleyball, wrestling, cheer, dance, XC, golf, etc. are contested mid-state. FB @ NIU in alternating years is actually an outlier (along with badminton @ EIU when no school south of Bradley-Bourbonnais even fields a team).

With apologies to the residents of Bridgeview, Summit and Bedford Park, I do not see SeatGeek Stadium as a HS State FB Finals destination of choice, particularly for fans from outside the area. Locals surely have their favorite haunts for food and drink, but rolling down Harlem from either the north or south to the stadium as a first-time visitor is not the most inviting of drives. IHSA sport finals that draw from the whole state must be more centrally located. It is not an accident that basketball, track/field, softball, G volleyball, wrestling, cheer, dance, XC, golf, etc. are contested mid-state. FB @ NIU in alternating years is actually an outlier (along with badminton @ EIU when no school south of Bradley-Bourbonnais even fields a team).
Yeah I can just see those Ford F150’s from Rochester rolling down Harlem.

Yeah I can just see those Ford F150’s from Rochester rolling down Harlem.

Rochester? What about 2A, where the Maroa-GCMS finals in 2017 & 18 were two rural schools, one dead south of Bloomington, one dead east...And who have similar drives whether to Memorial Stadium or Hancock...There's an F150 title game...

Reactions: greatgig13
North Central College would be worth a try, at least on a rotating basis. Hosting the championships where the population center is, in a smaller stadium, might actually fill the stadium for a change. That would create a championship atmosphere. There are plenty of nice hotels along the East/West Toll Road.

Illinois State would be the best place. The big draw back is no indoor practice area. U of I is way too big seams empty. NIU is great location is not great for most of the state. The new Hancock stadium would have a great atmosphere. Bloomington/Normal has a lot for fans. ISU should have never let the games go,Todd Berry was the main reason for them giving up the games. Bad thing for ISU to do, the games were a great way to showcase the school

North Central would present some big issues with hosting the title games.
1) Parking in downtown Naperville is tough to begin with . Over Thanksgiving weekend it would really be difficult.
2) North Central makes the D III playoff almost every year. When we make a deep playoff run its very possible the Cardinals would be hosting a home playoff game over that weekend. Imagine the headaches if you have a home playoff game but you've committed your field to High School games. Someone would have some explaining to do

North Central would present some big issues with hosting the title games.
1) Parking in downtown Naperville is tough to begin with . Over Thanksgiving weekend it would really be difficult.
2) North Central makes the D III playoff almost every year. When we make a deep playoff run its very possible the Cardinals would be hosting a home playoff game over that weekend. Imagine the headaches if you have a home playoff game but you've committed your field to High School games. Someone would have some explaining to do

Please contact Illinois State and run that #2 scenario past them and see what they say.....also that's a huge amount of potential players and parents on your campus to say no to...but I totally agree on the traffic issues etc

ADVERTISEMENT