ADVERTISEMENT

Best football / academic school combo

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
I thought this thread would be more interesting. Give me school names and why?

Private: Loyola, Naz,

Public: Stevenson, Barrington, Maine South, Glenbard West
Common theme...$$$ and white.

Last edited:
Marist academic reputation has really gone through the roof the past decade and they have been outstanding in boys and girls sports.

Reactions: ESCC Alum
Warren Township High School. Produces student-athletes .... Kids go to Power 5 (Notre Dame, Iowa State, e5c), Ivy, Patriot, FBS/FCS, D2 and D3 schools. Plus the school is diverse with all socioeconomic individuals. AP, Honors and College classes.. Plus play high end 8A football.

Reactions: Gene K.
Two schools that should be higher athletic programs that are great academic schools are Geneva and Marmion.

Both schools have TREMENDOUS average testing scores but football is usually average to below average.

Warren Township High School. Produces student-athletes .... Kids go to Power 5 (Notre Dame, Iowa State, e5c), Ivy, Patriot, FBS/FCS, D2 and D3 schools. Plus the school is diverse with all socioeconomic individuals. AP, Honors and College classes.. Plus play high end 8A football.
And it’s the Home of.......

Reactions: Bowie50
All..... Fwiw here is a top 100 list. Of course it doesn't take in account football. And as often the case lists can be subjective. Ratsy

Warren is a fine school, but please do not confuse it with a top academic high school.

St. Ignatius is the 2nd highest Catholic HS on the Private-Catholic list. Benet #4, Loyola, Fenwick, St. Viator, St. Francis, Marmion, Carmel, Montini, Nazareth, Joliet Catholic, St. Rita, Mt. Carmel, in that order down the list and all in the top 20. The list is definitely subjective and includes all girl schools, magnet schools, etc. I definitely think the last 4 on the Catholic HS lists should also be considered as top football and academic schools. That would be more true if we threw in other sports, such as baseball, wrestling, and basketball on the boys side. If you added high school girls athletic success the last four, Montini, Nazareth, JC, St. Rita and Mt. Carmel would all be in contention for the best Academic/all sports/boys & girls category. My list is subjective of course!

Also important to factor in that magnet schools and private schools can choose who enters their building everyday. Changes things when considering "great" academics.

There's a news flash! Should we start a public/private debate?
No, I'm just pointing out that there's a significant difference as a lot of posts have been about private schools. Just giving context.

Reactions: USD24
I'd give you Loyola but Naz in my opinion is not very strong academically

two Football players currently playing at Yale, two players played and just graduated from Dartmouth, one Played and just graduated from Army, one Lehigh, one Colorado; Julian Love secured his degree from ND in the off season from playing for the Giant. Sounds like you are not very strong academically

two Football players currently playing at Yale, two players played and just graduated from Dartmouth, one Played and just graduated from Army, one Lehigh, one Colorado; Julian Love secured his degree from ND in the off season from playing for the Giant. Sounds like you are not very strong academically
Chicago Vocational sent Dick Butkus to Illinois, Jawan Howard to Michigan and Chris Zorich to Notre Dame, yet I would never consider that school to be an academic powerhouse.

Reactions: ClownBaby and ach
LincolnWay East is part of a 3 high school district which has an accelerated and rigorous college prep track for the choosing. Rankings are imprecise, but they were #53 in IL in US News & World Report in '19. Only 1 other public suburban high school south of I-55 was ranked ahead of them. On a website called Niche, they were #39 in IL, so that gives us a range of about 15 between the two.

Chicago Vocational sent Dick Butkus to Illinois, Jawan Howard to Michigan and Chris Zorich to Notre Dame, yet I would never consider that school to be an academic powerhouse.
There was a time when it was an academic powerhouse

Ivy league schools, at least a few years ago, were letting in football players with 27 ACT.

Reactions: ach
Again, “best football / academic combo”. It’s LA hands down.

Again, “best football / academic combo”. It’s LA hands down.

Do you think the football part is really just due to being the largest enrollment private school in the state?

Would you say 3 state championships is overperforming or underperforming for Loyola?

Last edited:
Without football...could they get in?

Do you think the football part is really just due to being the largest enrollment private school in the state?

Would you say 3 state championships is overperforming or underperforming for Loyola?
No and no

No and no

=======

With your answers being no and no, are you answering honestly to those questions or with a bias?

No and no

=======

With your answers being no and no, are you answering honestly to those questions or with a bias?

A little harder to win in 8a. Even as a private school.

A little harder to win in 8a. Even as a private school.

Agree with you with that but Loyola is the only private school where the success factor never applies to in the playoffs.

Also Bowie refused to directly answer my 2nd question to him.

Agree with you with that but Loyola is the only private school where the success factor never applies to in the playoffs.

Also Bowie refused to directly answer my 2nd question to him.
Let's not cast stones about refusing to answer questions directly...

• Haha

No and no

=======

Yes and no

ADVERTISEMENT