ADVERTISEMENT

Best cheers

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
I do appreciate cheers/jeers that are funny and not too mean spirited.

I like some of the classics like “Overrated”, “Start the bus” or “That’s all right, that’s OK, you’re gonna work for us someday”.

What are some other witty ones you’ve heard?

Reactions: FalconPadre
It’s not really witty but chanting players names after touchdowns or other big plays I’ve always thought was cool. Although sometimes the syllables in the names don’t always work out and then it’s a bit forced. Also, “we can’t hear you” can be a playful thing back and forth when both sides have a large showing of fans.
I’ve heard some fairly witty ones but they tend to be for specific opponents and closer to the line of mean-spirited so I’m not sure they’d be worth delving into

Reactions: Schwab54
“That’s alright, that’s ok, you’re gonna pump our gas someday.” From the movie Bring it On, which for some odd reason, I have to watch in its entirety every time I come across it.

Reactions: McCaravan
My favorite "Cheers" is when Cliff Clavin appears on Jepordy. He dominates the game only to bet it all and lose in final jeoprdy with his question " Three people who have never been in my kitchen"

Last edited:
Always love the chants/cheers to all-boy schools...We have girls!
(credit to Crusader_of_90 who posted that last year in another thread).

The perfectly timed cheer/chant is always good too, as in last year when LWE rolled GBW at Duchon and their fans chanted, "This is our house!" to which us Hitters fans in attendance agreed through our tears (or beers, can't remember).

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Since the 4 syllable chants are so popular, just once I'd like to hear "That's what she said!" in response to "Over-rated" or "We can't hear you".

Reactions: SoCliche
In the 70’s & 80’s Stagg Cheerleaders would cheer to Sandburg”Go back go back go back to the woods go back go back your team is no good” Reavis in it’s glory years had “we’re great we’re great we’re going downstate” to “we’re great we’re great we’re going by the lake”

Reavis also did something clever in it’s glory years.When the PA announcers at Reavis would announce each player from the other team the Reavis fans would say after each player “Who’s she?” Joliet East would chant you stink like Cornstarch when they played Argo

In the 70’s & 80’s Stagg Cheerleaders would cheer to Sandburg”Go back go back go back to the woods go back go back your team is no good”

That dates back to the 1940's and has evolved in numerous ways...

Go back, go back, go back to the woods!
Your momma is your sister and your team ain't no good!

Go back, go back, go back into the woods,
your team ain't got no booty and your coach ain't no good!

Go back, go back, go back to the woods!
Your momma dress you funny and your team ain't no good!

:)

(apologies to Robbie Robertson)

The kids nowadays know everything about the other team. I mean everything!

:( Thanks MS4EVER, I just got "Boomered!" (Chlöe Swabrick, who belongs to the Green Party, silenced a fellow member of the U.K. Parliament by saying, "OK, boomer" – a phrase adopted by millennials to call out people from the baby boomer generation.)

First and Ten, Let’s do it again!

Push em back, push em back, waaaay back!

Red, Gold, Defense Hold!
Or Blue, Gold, Defense Hold! (Or any other color with gold)

We got spirit in our britches and it really really itches, we got spirit in our britches, yes we do!

Get up off your duff and shake it to the floor!

These too old school? Lol

early 2000s in peoria (maybe late 90s) for the class aa boys basketball state tournament. suburban school was playing peoria manual. manual was on the verge of winning and when it was clear the game was all but over, the student section of the suburban school started chanting "you still live here (clap clap clapclapclap)..."

ouch

we would chant "suuuuuuuuubuuuuuuuuuuuurbs" at schools that weren't from the city

Last edited:
:( Thanks MS4EVER, I just got "Boomered!" (Chlöe Swabrick, who belongs to the Green Party, silenced a fellow member of the U.K. Parliament by saying, "OK, boomer" – a phrase adopted by millennials to call out people from the baby boomer generation.)
No worries! I'm a Gen X and I had no idea.

The kids nowadays know everything about the other team. I mean everything!
Ain't that the truth with social media. Going back a several years ago when Facebook was popular with the high school kids. There were pages set up to taunt the other Teams. One specific one comes to mind when CG was hosting LZ. The student were smack talking back and forth . A CG student suggested to the LZ students that they should bring their "rape" whistles to the game.

Ain't that the truth with social media. Going back a several years ago when Facebook was popular with the high school kids. There were pages set up to taunt the other Teams. One specific one comes to mind when CG was hosting LZ. The student were smack talking back and forth . A CG student suggested to the LZ students that they should bring their "rape" whistles to the game.
Whoa

early 2000s in peoria (maybe late 90s) for the class aa boys basketball state tournament. suburban school was playing peoria manual. manual was on the verge of winning and when it was clear the game was all but over, the student section of the suburban school started chanting "you still live here (clap clap clapclapclap)..."

Nowadays the kids go back and forth on Barstool.

Old CPS cheers:
F-I-L-L-I-P-S, Philips Phillips, we the best!

Weeble wobble, we from DuSable and if we don’t win this game today we’re going to take out sh*t and move away.

What’s your favorite chocolate bar? Dunbar!Dunbar!

My favorite "Cheers" is when Cliff Clavin appears on Jepordy. He dominates the game only to bet it all and lose in final jeoprdy with his question " Three people who have never been in my kitchen"
Isn't bringing up Cliff Claven a little touchy on here? For anyone whose ever seen our moderator on the tube...

If there's any retired Crusader Crazies out there, I know we've had some great chants. My memory is failing me though.

ADVERTISEMENT