ADVERTISEMENT

Benet Vs. Batavia

Normdog

Oct 28, 2015
OK, so I have stayed off the board from prior to the game until now, too nervous beforehand and too morose afterwards. Did not see anything from the game posted, so wanted to post my thoughts.

It was a great game between two very evenly matched teams. Overall there were very few flags, it was just pure FB. Were there some missed calls, sure, but, those seemed to be on whole to go both ways.

Batavia did a great job prepping for the game, had a very good offensive game plan and executed it. They picked up on a few defensive weaknesses prior to the game and went right after them, more importantly executed on those plays. In addition in truly horrendous conditions (snow squall to start, standing water after halftime, combined with 35 degrees and 20mph winds miserable) their QB made some excellent passes (very impressive), with excellent catches and they only put the ball on the ground once.

IMO there were a few plays that turned the game; the fumble on the kick return (led to 7pts). After not bobbling a EP or FG all year, the bobble on the 2nd EP and more importantly the bobble on the FG, both of which are attributable to the wet ball (see above on Batavia passing). Lastly in the failed fake punt. Not sure I would have called for it, but, it was only 3 yards and would have changed the game the other way, so understand how it could have been called.

However, the biggest play that turned the game was Benet blocking the punt at the 17 yard line at the end of Q2 and getting zero points. That was a huge stand for Batavia, could we have made different play calls? Sure, but, the calls we made were not necessarily bad plays, Batavia just defended them.

From the Benet perspective, some things caught up with us. All year our Offense would move in fits and starts, in this game we had a great Q1 and did not get moving again until towards the end, some of that was certainly due to Batavia's D, just needed to go some more.

In addition injuries finally caught up. QB1 (Senior) who broke the thumb on his throwing hand in game 5, was back, but, then hurt it again in Q2, enter QB2 (Soph) who then got dinged, QB1 comes back with said throwing hand taped, when that was not effective QB2 tried to go, was unable to QB3 comes in, with QB2 coming back for last 2 series of game.

Slot R who caught game winning TD against LWC, hurt 2nd play of game, on crutches rest of game.

CB (JR) hit on KR and fumbled, got a shoulder ding on that hit, played rest of game, but, hampered.

a few others starters dinged during game, all went back in. While they could not get anything more going, neither could Batavia really in second half.

It was a good game, one I wish we were on the other side of.

In the end, it was a great ride. After our boys Freshman year, never would have thought they would have made it this far. Congrats to all of them. In this game, every one of them (especially the Seniors) left everything they had on the field, it just did not work out. My son had success beyond our wildest dreams, just sad it is over.

If these two teams played 10 games think it would be 5/5.

Think Batavia has a great shot at LZ, but, don't think I can watch, too painful.

Last edited:
Reactions: bronco man
OK, so I have stayed off the board from prior to the game until now, too nervous beforehand and too morose afterwards. Did not see anything from the game posted, so wanted to post my thoughts.

You missed the Fireworks Saturday night. Benet parents at their finest.

Reactions: mchsalumni

Geez I missed another flushed thread? I checked on Sunday mid morning - Edgy must have been up early doing some plumbing work.

I thought for sure it would’ve been a Sterling/Phillips thread. Did not think it would be Benet...

Voodoo,

It was some of the ugliest statements made about coaches I've seen on this board. Kinda sad to see the stuff that went on. On the other side the Sterling big mouth disappeared as fast as he arrived.

Geez I missed another flushed thread? I checked on Sunday mid morning - Edgy must have been up early doing some plumbing work.

I thought for sure it would’ve been a Sterling/Phillips thread. Did not think it would be Benet...

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

It was a great game between two very evenly matched teams. Overall there were very few flags, it was just pure FB. Were there some missed calls, sure, but, those seemed to be on whole to go both ways.

Batavia did a great job prepping for the game, had a very good offensive game plan and executed it. They picked up on a few defensive weaknesses prior to the game and went right after them, more importantly executed on those plays. In addition in truly horrendous conditions (snow squall to start, standing water after halftime, combined with 35 degrees and 20mph winds miserable) their QB made some excellent passes (very impressive), with excellent catches and they only put the ball on the ground once.

IMO there were a few plays that turned the game; the fumble on the kick return (led to 7pts). After not bobbling a EP or FG all year, the bobble on the 2nd EP and more importantly the bobble on the FG, both of which are attributable to the wet ball (see above on Batavia passing). Lastly in the failed fake punt. Not sure I would have called for it, but, it was only 3 yards and would have changed the game the other way, so understand how it could have been called.

However, the biggest play that turned the game was Benet blocking the punt at the 17 yard line at the end of Q2 and getting zero points. That was a huge stand for Batavia, could we have made different play calls? Sure, but, the calls we made were not necessarily bad plays, Batavia just defended them.

From the Benet perspective, some things caught up with us. All year our Offense would move in fits and starts, in this game we had a great Q1 and did not get moving again until towards the end, some of that was certainly due to Batavia's D, just needed to go some more.

In addition injuries finally caught up. QB1 (Senior) who broke the thumb on his throwing hand in game 5, was back, but, then hurt it again in Q2, enter QB2 (Soph) who then got dinged, QB1 comes back with said throwing hand taped, when that was not effective QB2 tried to go, was unable to QB3 comes in, with QB2 coming back for last 2 series of game.

Slot R who caught game winning TD against LWC, hurt 2nd play of game, on crutches rest of game.

CB (JR) hit on KR and fumbled, got a shoulder ding on that hit, played rest of game, but, hampered.

a few others starters dinged during game, all went back in. While they could not get anything more going, neither could Batavia really in second half.

It was a good game, one I wish we were on the other side of.

In the end, it was a great ride. After our boys Freshman year, never would have thought they would have made it this far. Congrats to all of them. In this game, every one of them (especially the Seniors) left everything they had on the field, it just did not work out. My son had success beyond our wildest dreams, just sad it is over.

If these two teams played 10 games think it would be 5/5.

Think Batavia has a great shot at LZ, but, don't think I can watch, too painful.[/

I feel your pain. WN missed a chip shot field goal that would have won the game in regulation. Also gave up the game tying touch down on 4th and 13!!! Third string corner stopped on a hitch and go. Yow! Ran for over 200 yards on a team that only gave up 60 per game. Batavia definitely has the horse shoe this Post season. No doubt about it.

Voodoo,

It was some of the ugliest statements made about coaches I've seen on this board. Kinda sad to see the stuff that went on. On the other side the Sterling big mouth disappeared as fast as he arrived.

Oh Geez- Maybe it was better that I missed it. I was thinking it was an HHS type meltdown.

Thanks for getting me up to speed Jwar!

Voodoo,

Don't know what went on, but, lets remember that like Sterling big mouth, which did not represent all those fans, the same goes at other schools. I chose my solace in a bar with an Uber ride home, which meant that only the bright light in the morning hurt, not looking at myself in the mirror.

Nothing would surprise me with the Naperville folk Many acted as if we were a Wisconsin team when they "had" to travel all the way up here in 15. I thought Pat New was a class act and a good coach, not sure why the hate by the Benet fans.

I will say this, was shocked when I saw they gave up a 13-0 lead. Heard their D was the driving force of this years team. Giving up that lead, at home, has to hurt.

All good Normdog, we might not always agree but I've never seen you or most others from Benet go postal on the Head coach.

Don't know what went on, but, lets remember that like Sterling big mouth, which did not represent all those fans, the same goes at other schools. I chose my solace in a bar with an Uber ride home, which meant that only the bright light in the morning hurt, not looking at myself in the mirror.

Nothing would surprise me with the Naperville folk Many acted as if we were a Wisconsin team when they "had" to travel all the way up here in 15. I thought Pat New was a class act and a good coach, not sure why the hate by the Benet fans.

I will say this, was shocked when I saw they gave up a 13-0 lead. Heard their D was the driving force of this years team. Giving up that lead, at home, has to hurt.

What do you mean “ nothing would surprise me with the Naperville folk?”

Newsflash - Benet draws from multiple cities including Lisle, Naperville, Plainfield, Aurora etc etc.

“Newsflash 2 - “Naperville” is carved up and attends 5 public High Schools - NN, NC, NV, WV, MV.

How do you know the postal poster is from Naperville?

I guess nothing suprises me out of the folks in the Fox. Similiar general statement.

Reactions: Gene K.

Newsflash - Benet draws from multiple cities including Lisle, Naperville, Plainfield, Aurora etc etc.

“Newsflash 2 - “Naperville” is carved up and attends 5 public High Schools - NN, NC, NV, WV, MV.

I guess nothing suprises me out of the folks in the Fox. Similiar general statement.

It is actually more than 40 towns across DuPage, Cook, Will, Grundy, DeKalb and Kane Counties. Valedictorian last year came from Lemont. And not meant to get into a whole recruiting thing.

Let us all just agree that as with any school or town there are a few members that can push things over the edge and there are plenty of members that everyone is proud to know.

wow, hit a nerve. Not a general statement, like yours. But I'll play.....

Would it be wrong to state that even though Benet is in Lisle, the majority of their students reside in Naperville? Truth hurts..I know., but...

I refer to "Naperville folk" directly comes from Benet's visit to our 1 high school small town two years ....

I also assume St Peter and Paul is still in Naperville and their parrish is made up of a good (or like almostly all) portion of "Naperville" ...they seem to be very fond on stickers on their windows and bumpers with this info...those "folk" were out here two years ago. I first hand witnessed many complain about having to drive up here when "they" were the better team. Many of their students/children felt the same way....those are the Naperville "folk" I speak of. Some thought our Jr program was cute and talked about how great some St Raphel league teams would stomp them..? But I regress..

when hearing you can draw from multiple cities.... I'm happy for ya..

You lost a heart breaker...I feel ya more than you can appreciate.....but from what some non-Naperville Benet people posted here Saturday was sad.

wow, hit a nerve. Not a general statement, like yours. But I'll play.....

Would it be wrong to state that even though Benet is in Lisle, the majority of their students reside in Naperville? Truth hurts..I know., but...

I refer to "Naperville folk" directly comes from Benet's visit to our 1 high school small town two years ....

I also assume St Peter and Paul is still in Naperville and their parrish is made up of a good (or like almostly all) portion of "Naperville" ...they seem to be very fond on stickers on their windows and bumpers with this info...those "folk" were out here two years ago. I first hand witnessed many complain about having to drive up here when "they" were the better team. Many of their students/children felt the same way....those are the Naperville "folk" I speak of. Some thought our Jr program was cute and talked about how great some St Raphel league teams would stomp them..? But I regress..

when hearing you can draw from multiple cities.... I'm happy for ya..

You lost a heart breaker...I feel ya more than you can appreciate.....but from what some non-Naperville Benet people posted here Saturday was sad.

What the hell are you ranting about?

Sounds like you have an issue with Benet for some reason and with your simpleton train of thought have decided that since most of Benet comes from Naperville (I’m not sure that’s true, I wouldn’t know) - “then the naperville folk are xyz”. Sounds like a few folks rubbed you the wrong way when they came to town a few years back? :rolleyes:

Yes you would be wrong. My kids played st raf and we did not go to any of those churches or schools. The majority of St RAF local league teams do not go to Benet. My kids teams had players that went on to play for Waubonsie, Neuqua, Oswego East, Oswego, napervile Central etc

Back in the day - there was no “feeder teams” in the Naperville area dedicated to each public high school. It was not the same set up that you are used to with a one high school town. I believe they are/have tried to change that to try and model it closer to the successful models in your neck of the woods CG, PR etc. they should - your model is the best from a team standpoint. From a player development standpoint - Naperville Patriots/ Naperville Chargers Are better then the middle school options and also good for kids planning to go private and not play for their local high school (so no need to learn the HS offense and defense - and the middle schools can’t run the HS O/D anyway as many middle schools split to multiple high schools

Sorry we lost? I didn’t lose anything. First off
1. I don’t play football anymore
2 I root for all Western Burbs teams
3 my kids go to a different school than Benet and play/played for a school not named Benet.

I didn’t see the thread. But if Jwar says it’s the worst he has seen - then I can understand your negatively. As Normdog mentioned.
1 don’t lump all Benet people into the same douchebag bucket
2 don’t lump all “Naperville folk” into one school. They attend about 10-12 s hooks and in addition to the 6 I mentioned: you can add Montini, ACC, MArmion, St Francis, Naz and many more.

Last edited:
Naperville Patriots is a feeder program for Naz these days. That is changing, though, with Patriots patriarch McMillen now the HC at St. Francis. I know that more than a few Patriot families have been approached about playing at SF.

3 kids i know from St. Peter and Paul went to Montini. None to Benet.

Absolutely. Also There are also quite a few kids that are in the south naperville/Plainfield area that attend Montini. There is a small bus that picks up and drops off (or used to - I’m not fully up to speed) fairly close to my house right off of route 59.

Naperville Patriots is a feeder program for Naz these days. That is changing, though, with Patriots patriarch McMillen now the HC at St. Francis. I know that more than a few Patriot families have been approached about playing at SF.

Yup. I’m wondering what St Francis is going to look like in 3-5 years. Could be another IC in small class ball?

When my son was at SF I think they were either 4 or 5A. I know enrollment has dropped since he was a freshman in 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT