ADVERTISEMENT

Because it is all about winning......

Who's filming all these games with enough cameras to get the angles needed to even have plays reviewed?

Reactions: mullin17
Last edited:
Five-man officiating crews for FB plus instant replay? Consider this: thousands of tennis and badminton matches are contested annually (including the state series) without ANY officials on-site. These boys and girls score and make all the other calls totally on their own. These competitions are no less important nor intense than what is seen in FB, either.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Not to stir the pot or anything, but some would argue that if we had instant replay review then Fenwick would not have been in position to lose on a bad call by the refs.

giphy.gif

Does the debate club monitor the self reporting to adjudicate the actual outcome?

Five-man officiating crews for FB plus instant replay? Consider this: thousands of tennis and badminton matches are contested annually (including the state series) without ANY officials on-site. These boys and girls score and make all the other calls totally on their own. These competitions are no less important nor intense than what is seen in FB, either.

Not to stir the pot or anything, but some would argue that if we had instant replay review then Fenwick would not have been in position to lose on a bad call by the refs.

giphy.gif
Hilarious!!! I was also thinking along those lines.

Alabama is a dreadful place known for narrow minds and bad schools. Instead of improving their educational system, they're wasting money on football. Locals joke that "If it wasn't for Mississippi, we'd be last in everything."

Want to move to Alabama? Read this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-alabama-poop-train-20180417-story.html
Yeah, that article about "Bill Murray visiting his Caddyshack restaurant in Chicago and doesn't disappoint" was very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. No one is talking of moving there, but it's interesting, they are getting more and more students from Illinois to attend the University of Alabama.

Where was Bill Murray mentioned in the article?

Kids up here who attend the U of Alabama are in for a jolt when prospective employers review their resumes.

Where was Bill Murray mentioned in the article?

Kids up here who attend the U of Alabama are in for a jolt when prospective employers review their resumes.
The link included the article about Bill Murray. I found that one to be more interesting. Again, thanks for the heads up.

If you honestly think a degree from Alabama is going to keep these kids from getting employment you are so lost. Yeah sure, the employers are just going to look at their resumes and say,:"forget that kid...he or she has a degree from the University of Alabama." What planet do you live on? Good thing you aren't doing the hiring.

Those kids who are leaving Illinois for higher education are finding they are getting far more money to leave the state...which is a crime. That isn't their faults, it's the state's fault. Besides, who wants to be saddled with more student debt? Right now, the student debt in this country is $1.5T. Yes, trillion with a "T." College is far too expensive and kids are in massive debt in some cases and that's a crime too.

Alabama is a dreadful place known for narrow minds and bad schools. Instead of improving their educational system, they're wasting money on football. Locals joke that "If it wasn't for Mississippi, we'd be last in everything."

Want to move to Alabama? Read this:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-alabama-poop-train-20180417-story.html

Or read this
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

Your opinion of a Univ of Alabama degree is clearly outdated. I have a son as U of I and have a daughter that will be attending Alabama next year. Alabama is actively recruiting the best and brightest Illinois high school students. Bama's honors college is outstanding and the free tuition made it an easy decision for us.

The link included the article about Bill Murray. I found that one to be more interesting. Again, thanks for the heads up.

If you honestly think a degree from Alabama is going to keep these kids from getting employment you are so lost. Yeah sure, the employers are just going to look at their resumes and say,:"forget that kid...he or she has a degree from the University of Alabama." What planet do you live on? Good thing you aren't doing the hiring.

Those kids who are leaving Illinois for higher education are finding they are getting far more money to leave the state...which is a crime. That isn't their faults, it's the state's fault. Besides, who wants to be saddled with more student debt? Right now, the student debt in this country is $1.5T. Yes, trillion with a "T." College is far too expensive and kids are in massive debt in some cases and that's a crime too.

Again, you've mis-stated my comments ... by which I stand 100%. Frankly, for the better jobs, employers certainly do give great weight to a candidate's education.

Or read this
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-illinois-students-brain-drain-20180405-story.html

Your opinion of a Univ of Alabama degree is clearly outdated. I have a son as U of I and have a daughter that will be attending Alabama next year. Alabama is actively recruiting the best and brightest Illinois high school students. Bama's honors college is outstanding and the free tuition made it an easy decision for us.
I attached this article in my first post on this thread. it's something many people in this state would rather not read, because it's true. There is no question his opinion of the University of Alabama and the state itself is outdated. What's worse is that it's uninformed. This guy continues to come to this board and show his ignorance on several topics. So, when he says he stands by his comments, he's actually saying he stands by his ignorance.

Again, you've mis-stated my comments ... by which I stand 100%. Frankly, for the better jobs, employers certainly do give great weight to a candidate's education.
Like I say, it's a good thing guys like you aren't doing the hiring of people today. It is pretty hard to stomach how uninformed and ignorant you are. And not just on this subject either.

The "better" jobs? Talk about condescending. You fit the title to this thread alright.

While an education can get you in the door, no job is secured without a solid interview. I don't care where a person is educated. If that person isn't prepared and doesn't do well in the interview, they aren't getting the job. And if they do get the job and don't perform well, they won't keep the job either.

The first thing that is going to get a person in the door is how well that resume is written.

Reactions: Normdog
Like I say, it's a good thing guys like you aren't doing the hiring of people today. It is pretty hard to stomach how uninformed and ignorant you are. And not just on this subject either.

The "better" jobs? Talk about condescending. You fit the title to this thread alright.

While an education can get you in the door, no job is secured without a solid interview. I don't care where a person is educated. If that person isn't prepared and doesn't do well in the interview, they aren't getting the job. And if they do get the job and don't perform well, they won't keep the job either.

The first thing that is going to get a person in the door is how well that resume is written.

LTHS, you are reading this all wrong...Why would a kid (and said kid's parents) not choose our state's flagship university? It has everything to offer over Alabama, superior weather (snow in April), overcast 75% of the time, terrain that is so flat as to make a pancake jealous, major sports teams that win NOTHING and the cherry on top of all of it, an absolute inability to reward high level students with high grades and high ACT scores any merit money, whereas Alabama offers full academic rides to those same students. Just like the rest of our state government institutions, complete insanity rules at our state funded colleges.

That giant sucking sound you hear is many of the high level students fleeing the state and making rational financial decisions regarding their education. Outside of a few specialties, where an academic institution matters and at some levels the ivies, the institution does not matter in hiring decisions. Regardless of what some in this state would feed you, there is little difference on that front between U of I and Alabama. Especially not when looking at a $150k differential in obtaining a degree.

The apt comparison is with a 4 star or 5 star FB player. They can go to Illinois and PAY for school and be on the team or they can go to Alabama on a full ride and play. What is the rational decision? Exactly. The people in this state saying it is foolish to go to Alabama on a Academic ride versus paying full boat at U of I would say the exact opposite about an athlete. There is no difference.

LTHS, you are reading this all wrong...Why would a kid (and said kid's parents) not choose our state's flagship university? It has everything to offer over Alabama, superior weather (snow in April), overcast 75% of the time, terrain that is so flat as to make a pancake jealous, major sports teams that win NOTHING and the cherry on top of all of it, an absolute inability to reward high level students with high grades and high ACT scores any merit money, whereas Alabama offers full academic rides to those same students. Just like the rest of our state government institutions, complete insanity rules at our state funded colleges.

That giant sucking sound you hear is many of the high level students fleeing the state and making rational financial decisions regarding their education. Outside of a few specialties, where an academic institution matters and at some levels the ivies, the institution does not matter in hiring decisions. Regardless of what some in this state would feed you, there is little difference on that front between U of I and Alabama. Especially not when looking at a $150k differential in obtaining a degree.

The apt comparison is with a 4 star or 5 star FB player. They can go to Illinois and PAY for school and be on the team or they can go to Alabama on a full ride and play. What is the rational decision? Exactly. The people in this state saying it is foolish to go to Alabama on a Academic ride versus paying full boat at U of I would say the exact opposite about an athlete. There is no difference.
Wow. Excellent post. Have you ever been to Gulf Shores, AL? Beautiful place to visit and I know quite a few people from Illinois who have bought property down there. The number one reason people are leaving Illinois, in all polls out there, is taxes. The state is a mess and anyone who denies this is simply not paying attention or not intelligent enough to understand it. I figure I have about 7 more years here or so and then we are out.

But, I thought of something yesterday after I posted. While an education is nice to have when seeking employment, the first thing any employer will look at when examining a resume is job experience. I am talking about the resumes that get past the first hurdle. Many, many jobs are won from recommendation as well. If a person comes highly recommended you can throw the education out the window. And this happens every day. There are a whole bunch of people out there who may not have as much formal education as their counterparts. But if a person is good at networking and meeting the right people a resume is simply a formality. Employers hire people they think they can trust and it's always good to know someone or to get yourself introduced to the right people.

I have said before and I will say again. A college education is way too expensive and I can give anyone here a perfect illustration of that.

My boss, who is closer to a billionaire than a millionaire, immigrated to the US at age 15, got a GED, joined the military and learned electronics then taught himself coding. He's not a stickler for education, but instead, ability and passion.
I love reading stories like this.

I have a family member who is head of the HR department of a company that employs 500 people. (outside Illinois) I just talked to her yesterday. Their company has grown about 20% since January of 2017. Needless to say, she has seen literally thousands of resumes and applications in that time period.

She is quite strict and she told me the resumes she rejects are ones that are poorly constructed, very little or no job experience, gaps in employment, misspelled words on cover letters, ect. They have a link people can go to to fill out an application. She said I wouldn't believe how many people simply don't know how to fill one out. She said the last time they were reviewing applications at least half of the people didn't even finish. Then she said, "and these people wonder why they aren't working."

As for education on resumes, she said she does look at that for sure. But many people who apply with educations, especially from big schools, think they are entitled to an interview and even a job. Most of their jobs require college degrees but no degree alone entitles anyone to their time in an interview or a job. She also went on to say many of these resumes from people who say they are educated look like they were written by a 3rd grader.

The thing that catches her eye in the beginning from a cold resume is a cover letter that stands out. She thinks a good cover letter is critical and shouldn't be too long. If the cover letter sucks, the resume has little chance of even being viewed. She is also amazed that so many people want jobs there and know nothing about the company or what they do. Her point is, "how hard is it to do research?"

Her final point was, if someone comes to them recommended by a trusted source they will get in the door for an interview. She said she realizes that not all the HR people in other companies she knows from meetings, etc. may agree with her approach, but it works for her and her company. But she laughed and said some of the older HR people she knows are starting to listen to her because of the growth and retention her company is experiencing.

Again and again, you go off on tangents. My point is that southern schools are second and third rate, and that is a factor in hiring. It is not the only factor, but it is a very important one.

Anyone who wants to leave Illinois: be my guest. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

Yes, because southern schools like Duke, UNC, UVA, Vanderbilt, UT, Georgia Tech, Willam and Mary should be avoided over academic northern powerhouses like Iowa and Michigan State.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Recommendations are the best way to get your foot in the door and get an interview. At my employer roughly 80% of the jobs are filled via referral. As far as brain drain, I've had three children go to school out of state, two have stayed and are working in the state that they studied in. The 3rd is yet TBD

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Wow you sound like this one guy from a place down SOUTH(of I80) that refutes everything anyone says that doesn’t agree with him(no not Edgy)!

Again and again, you go off on tangents. My point is that southern schools are second and third rate, and that is a factor in hiring. It is not the only factor, but it is a very important one.

Anyone who wants to leave Illinois: be my guest. Don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

In the State of Texas alone reside Rice, UT-Austin, SMU, Texas A&M, Baylor and TCU. Nothing 2nd or 3rd rate academically in that list!

Wow you sound like this one guy from a place down SOUTH(of I80) that refutes everything anyone says that doesn’t agree with him(no not Edgy)!

“He who must not be named!” Pestilence!!

Speaking of “he who must not be named”.....I haven’t seen much activity from the man in the basement in Herscher/limestone township!

Everything I wrote is the truth and a fact. It is real world evidence from people who actually do the hiring for a living. Where a person is educated isn't as important as you make it out to be when it comes to candidacy for a job. You are totally uninformed on this subject. Just as you were on the gun debate. Yet you came here and lobbed a bomb into the discussion. Several people are exposing your ignorance here. My evidence is also being corroborated here as well. All you have is an opinion. And an uninformed opinion at that, which is worse.

Go out and educate yourself a little. Then come back here and offer an opinion based on facts. You are looking silly again.

And what exactly is it you have against the south and Alabama in particular? Talk about anger and hatred. Did you get your ass kicked down there and never went back or something? Geez!

And then you say anyone who wants to leave Illinois can be your guest. And don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out. Are you an Illinois politician? You sound like one. Because that's exactly how they feel and it's exactly the reason so many people are leaving.

LOL. Good point. But I must say that other guy does run into some facts once in a while. This guy is just plain ignorant. You can't talk to or reason with people like this because he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Recommendations are the best way to get your foot in the door and get an interview. At my employer roughly 80% of the jobs are filled via referral. As far as brain drain, I've had three children go to school out of state, two have stayed and are working in the state that they studied in. The 3rd is yet TBD
Absolutely a fact.

Everything I wrote is the truth and a fact. It is real world evidence from people who actually do the hiring for a living. Where a person is educated isn't as important as you make it out to be when it comes to candidacy for a job. You are totally uninformed on this subject. Just as you were on the gun debate. Yet you came here and lobbed a bomb into the discussion. Several people are exposing your ignorance here. My evidence is also being corroborated here as well. All you have is an opinion. And an uninformed opinion at that, which is worse.

Go out and educate yourself a little. Then come back here and offer an opinion based on facts. You are looking silly again.

And what exactly is it you have against the south and Alabama in particular? Talk about anger and hatred. Did you get your ass kicked down there and never went back or something? Geez!

And then you say anyone who wants to leave Illinois can be your guest. And don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out. Are you an Illinois politician? You sound like one. Because that's exactly how they feel and it's exactly the reason so many people are leaving.

When will you be leaving?

Couldn't pay me enough to live in AL or pretty much any Confederate state. Or any rural area for that matter. AL is near the bottom of the list though.

Maybe Miami, Austin & Houston, and Atlanta--but that's it.

Last edited:
Couldn't pay me enough to live in AL or pretty much any Confederate state. Or any rural area for that matter. AL is near the bottom of the list though.

Maybe Miami, Austin & Houston, and Atlanta--but that's it.
I would say bottom of the list would be Mississippi...after that Florida. Other than the immediate coastal areas Florida is awful!

Reactions: Cross Bones
I would say bottom of the list would be Mississippi...after that Florida. Other than the immediate coastal areas Florida is awful!
Yeah Mississippi is at the absolute bottom. Miami, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale I could probably do in FL.

The states in the "Deep South" surely have a certain lack of appeal for several reasons. However, some states in the "Mid-South" are very attractive. For example, many of the northern counties of west and central Arkansas near the elevation of the Ozark Mts. are very nice. Also, areas of Tennessee containing the Smoky Mts., away from the touristy towns of Gatlinburg and Sevierville are beautiful.

ADVERTISEMENT