ADVERTISEMENT

Bears Football Talk

Neither one of the 2 points above will be addressed this year. So, while the possibility of squeaking into the playoffs (as a low seed with a bad first matchup) does exist, they certainly won't be favored to advance past their first game.

Considering that a playoff appearance likely translates into Nagy being safe to keep his job and his terrible play calling and considering the 2021 draft pick will not be as high as if they had a finished with a record that more accurately reflected their actual quality as an NFL team does not bode well for Bears fans. And Ryan Pace is probably still making that pick.

Sorry boys, I'm just depressed. Where's lakecitynewt to help offset my negativity?
You make some excellent points. It is depressing...I agree. I'd like to see a high draft pick but I am not confident they would know what to do with it if it is an offensive player. But there are a lot of very good players out there who were middle round picks too. But, do you trust the Bears when it comes to assessing offensive talent?

You make some excellent points. It is depressing...I agree. I'd like to see a high draft pick but I am not confident they would know what to do with it if it is an offensive player. But there are a lot of very good players out there who were middle round picks too. But, do you trust the Bears when it comes to assessing offensive talent?

No.

What's particularly sad is that Nagy was touted as a creative and modern offensive genius and Ryan Pace was supposed to be a young brilliant player personnel expert. Turns out neither was true.

No.

What's particularly sad is that Nagy was touted as a creative and modern offensive genius and Ryan Pace was supposed to be a young brilliant player personnel expert. Turns out neither was true.

Matt Nagy is Brian Billick 2.0 without the SB ring. An offensive genius who became a HC and could never put an offense on the field that could score.

I heard it said that the Bears "are bonding" and "have a great locker room." How enchanting and special for them - we are all so pleased to know that.

I think anyone looking for Nagy to be fired after the season is destined for disappointment. Maybe someone smarter than me kind find a list. How many coaches were fired after 3 seasons, with a winning % of .625 (as of today).

I actually think Nagy is a good head coach. However, he is a terrible offensive coordinator/play caller. If he gave up the play calling duties, that would be a huge step in right direction.

I actually think Nagy is a good head coach. However, he is a terrible offensive coordinator/play caller. If he gave up the play calling duties, that would be a huge step in right direction.

I agreed, Nagy will be here for a while and I am okay with him being our HC. He is horrible as an OC calling plays. He also needs to learn to use our time outs better.

Dolphins will have a top pick this year from the Texans. Tua may be available for a trade.

let’s do it

Dolphins will have a top pick this year from the Texans. Tua may be available for a trade.

let’s do it

It would be the most Bears move ever, give up a ton of draft picks for a single player who is injury prone and then not be able to put any players around him only to see him get hurt.

It would be the most Bears move ever, give up a ton of draft picks for a single player who is injury prone and then not be able to put any players around him only to see him get hurt.
If that was the case, they could have drafted Watson and maybe gotten it right.

If that was the case, they could have drafted Watson and maybe gotten it right.
I am of the belief that Watson wouldn’t be Watson if he was drafted by Bears. They have shown no ability to draft and develop offensive linemen. The last 2 offensive “geniuses” brought in have been average at best. And the last great RB we had was Forte. This is an organizational problem in my opinion.

Reactions: Gene K.
I am of the belief that Watson wouldn’t be Watson if he was drafted by Bears. They have shown no ability to draft and develop offensive linemen. The last 2 offensive “geniuses” brought in have been average at best. And the last great RB we had was Forte. This is an organizational problem in my opinion.
I don't disagree with any of that, but if you recall back when they drafted Trubiski they were coming off a couple drafts where they took guys with a history of injuries and were getting hammered for it. It would have been the same for Watson and then he would have likely failed, because it's the Bears.

Anyone want to let the team know they need to get beyond the first down marker to move the chains......what is with all the 3rd down routes at less than 1st down depth? Offense has lots of starters out, but no excuse for crap play calling. Maybe we need to go to the backup play caller!

Another goose egg 1st half. No touchdowns. Can we just field LWE or ESTL for our offense?

The Bears are tough enough to watch right now, and Greg Jennings isn’t making it any easier with the commentary..... my goodness he’s awful.

Yeah, like he takes no pleasure in ripping the Bears-but hey we've made that easy for he, Troy, Joe and Dick...... just keep hearing Singletary in my mind. Need winners.......can't win with em....insert any assortment of offensive players names here. Can't wait to hear Kreutz, Hamp and OB........

Yeah, like he takes no pleasure in ripping the Bears-but hey we've made that easy for he, Troy, Joe and Dick...... just keep hearing Singletary in my mind. Need winners.......can't win with em....insert any assortment of offensive players names here. Can't wait to hear Kreutz, Hamp and OB........

What show is OB? Do you have a link?

Beginning week 7 was always my target to figure out what this Bears team is about.

Sports talk radio is always so bad. You could have a 16-0 team here, and they'd be complaining about something still.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
What a great weekend we had here...weather-wise. I spent Saturday afternoon putting Christmas decorations on the house, so that's done. All I need to do now is turn them on when the time comes. The rest of the outdoor decorations will come with little use of a ladder. I figured the weather won't get better than it currently is, so why not?

Oh yeah, there was a football game yesterday wasn't there? Honestly, I am running out of words to describe this. I think everyone else is too, including the columnists and media personalities.

But I sat down anyway at noon in the family room with the 65 inch screen bringing me the action, or, inaction. My first thought was, maybe this won't be so bad if I go to my office 32 inch screen. The images would be smaller. LOL! So, I watched for maybe 50 minutes to an hour or so. I think we all pretty much knew where this was headed with that offense.

So, I said to hell with it. I told wifey I was going outside to sit in the sun and she joined me. Sometimes, on summer Sundays I go retro and sit outside listening to the Sox or Cubs on an old transistor radio. Maybe a cool one or two as well. I thought about this gorgeous weather yesterday and just couldn't miss it. So, the transistor followed me out. By the way, that radio belonged to my Father-In-Law and it has to be at least 50 years old. It hasn't changed in all those years and neither has the Bears offense. Anyway, after the fumble return TD by the Titans, I turned it off. I wasn't going to take anymore punishment.

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't pick the Vikings over the Bears this coming week? As I sit here today I'll say, the Bears won't make the playoffs. Even if an 8th team is added which has been talked about. Heaven help us! Sorry this went so long.

Last edited:
LTHS-If that stands for Lockport-then don't you have to root for fellow Porter alumni-Mike Zimmer?

LTHS-If that stands for Lockport-then don't you have to root for fellow Porter alumni-Mike Zimmer?
Full disclosure. I knew Mike Zimmer back in the day. We went to the same grade school and I played Little league Baseball against him. He was a few classes ahead of me. But I remember, he was a very good 3-sport athlete at Lockport. When Lockport WAS Lockport. But that's a different story.

The last time we were together was the summer of 1978 when we played together on a summer baseball team that traveled. He had just graduated from ISU or was close to a degree.

I can just say from personal experience, Mike was loved by everyone on that team. Most of the time he coached first base. There was a guy who was very excitable. All those guys I played with were older than me. Some were ex-pro players still chasing the dream. Buzz Capra pitched on that team. He was another very good guy who was always willing to help and talk to guys and educate those of us who were inexperienced with that level of play.

I was 19 and some of those guys were late 20s. Talk about an experience. Those guys played hard, took no shit and partied hard too. Zim was right there with them. I grew up a lot with that team. These were some tough bad-assed guys. Mike's toughness comes from his old man. Those were the good old days when pitchers threw at hitters with no regard, grudges were held and I saw more than one benches-clearing brawl on that team. One night at Kankakee against the Chiefs was legendary. I was at the plate when that one started. Those teams had some real bad blood between them that started long before I was on the team.

So, fast-forward about 20 years. I got to know Carmen Pignatiello when he was pitching at Providence and got to know his dad. Great people. So, one day I was talking to his dad and we were talking about some of the teams we played on. I told him about that 1978 team and the incident in Kankakee. And wouldn't you know it? He was the catcher on that Kankakee team and was there. To be honest, our coach started that fight.

If I saw Mike Zimmer today he probably wouldn't recognize me. After all it has been 42 years. But, I guarantee you if I told him my name he would stick his hand out right away and we' talk about that team and have a good laugh. That's just the kind of guy he is. He doesn't forget where he came from. Yes, it's very hard to root against a guy like that. I am very sorry this is so long. But, that was a very special time in my life.

Buzz Capra-former ISU Redbird baseball legend!
I was fortunate to have coached with Bill Zimmer back in the 80's. What a great experience. His loyalty and work ethic were second to none.
I had the opportunity to meet Mike on a few occasions. Once when he came into town we went fishing. We didn't catch much but, what you say is so true. He's the most down to earth guy you could ever meet.
Whenever I turn on a Vikings game and see Mike, I think of Bill and the many lessons that I learned from him.
Go Vikings!

I was fortunate to have coached with Bill Zimmer back in the 80's. What a great experience. His loyalty and work ethic were second to none.
I had the opportunity to meet Mike on a few occasions. Once when he came into town we went fishing. We didn't catch much but, what you say is so true. He's the most down to earth guy you could ever meet.
Whenever I turn on a Vikings game and see Mike, I think of Bill and the many lessons that I learned from him.
Go Vikings!
Great post! One thing about Bill Zimmer. There was no middle ground. As a player, you either liked him and got along with him, or you didn't. I don't think a guy like Bill could coach in today's game. I always got along with him. You just had to understand, he was the boss. That was never a question.

The only Lockport coach I can think of during my time there who hated losing as much as Bill Zimmer was Jim Hall. Neither one of those guys took an ounce of crap either. Now, Jim Hall is thought of as old school. Back then, Zimmer was the old school guy. Hall took some of that Zimmer old school and and molded it into his personality.

Back in the 70's a lot of people chastised Zimmer because we lost a lot of football talent to Joliet Catholic. But you have to remember, playing football for Gordie Gillespie was certainly NO insult. That was tough competition. I do think Hall did a better job in keeping Lockport talent here. That is probably the only knock I would have on Zimmer.

I doubt Jim Hall could coach today. Personally, I think he's a great guy and he always goes out of his way to say hello when we run into each other. The other thing I will say about coach Hall is this. I never knew any coach who worked harder than he did. When I played baseball at Lockport, I didn't think much of him as a baseball coach. But, he made himself a very good baseball coach over the years. And I still can't think of a baseball coach who won as much as he did with the talent he had. His teams were always tough to beat even when he had average talent.

Hall, also introduced weight room training into the baseball program which made a big difference in the performance of his teams.

But back to Mike Zimmer. I hope I get a chance to see him again someday. Great guy who has endured some of life's pain.

Great post! One thing about Bill Zimmer. There was no middle ground. As a player, you either liked him and got along with him, or you didn't. I don't think a guy like Bill could coach in today's game. I always got along with him. You just had to understand, he was the boss. That was never a question.

The only Lockport coach I can think of during my time there who hated losing as much as Bill Zimmer was Jim Hall. Neither one of those guys took an ounce of crap either. Now, Jim Hall is thought of as old school. Back then, Zimmer was the old school guy. Hall took some of that Zimmer old school and and molded it into his personality.

Back in the 70's a lot of people chastised Zimmer because we lost a lot of football talent to Joliet Catholic. But you have to remember, playing football for Gordie Gillespie was certainly NO insult. That was tough competition. I do think Hall did a better job in keeping Lockport talent here. That is probably the only knock I would have on Zimmer.

I doubt Jim Hall could coach today. Personally, I think he's a great guy and he always goes out of his way to say hello when we run into each other. The other thing I will say about coach Hall is this. I never knew any coach who worked harder than he did. When I played baseball at Lockport, I didn't think much of him as a baseball coach. But, he made himself a very good baseball coach over the years. And I still can't think of a baseball coach who won as much as he did with the talent he had. His teams were always tough to beat even when he had average talent.

Hall, also introduced weight room training into the baseball program which made a big difference in the performance of his teams.

But back to Mike Zimmer. I hope I get a chance to see him again someday. Great guy who has endured some of life's pain.
Ah yes.... Jim Hall. He was the best.... just ask him! Lol

Go Vikings!
I forgot all about Capra at ISU. My college coach coached him at ISU. And don't forget, in 1974 Buzz Capra went 16-8 and led the National League in E.R.A. at 2.28 with the Atlanta Braves. He was on the All Star team that year and finished 9th in the Cy Young voting. Buzz ran into some arm problems after that season and 1977 was his last in the big leagues. But he was on that team in 1974 when Henry Aaron hit his 715th HR.

I played ball with him in 1978 and'79. In 1978 he could still get the fastball up there now and then. But you could see the decline and he just couldn't pitch regularly. In 1979 he both played on another Chicago team. The guy who ran that team was loaded. An old Polish guy from the old country. He payed the players. I got $50 cash after each game. Totally illegal to keep my amateur status. LOL! The guy just told me it was gas money!! LOL! Hell yes I took it! I think Buzz got two or three hundred a game. That's what I heard anyway. But by 1979 Buzz was finished. He lost a lot off the fastball. But he was always there helping young pitchers. Again another great, classy guy.

Nagy has his faults, to be sure. But, his play calling is severely limited by the lack of talent on offense, especially the offensive line. Look at Pace and his draft picks and trades if you want to find real fault.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Funny Bill Zimmer story.
Bill had been having some heart issues. Unfortunately, it was also football season. I got a call that Bill had been admitted into the hospital for observation. O.K. No problem. We had Jim Hall, Terry Ziemke and other experienced coaches who were very capable of filling in until Bill could return.

So I go to practice on Wednesday and Bill is there. Great. He must be feeling better. Pretty soon you see this little red-head marching out onto the practice field. Not far behind is A.D. Bob Allen chasing after her.

Soon you hear, "Damn it Bill, you're not supposed to be out here. You're supposed to be at home resting".
Now understand Bill formerly played with the 49'ers, was always in tremendous shape, and for some reason always took his front teeth out before going to practice. But there was one thing hear feared, that was his wife Anne.
He said, "Oh, Anne, I'm fine. I just wanted to see how things were going." Which was a lie. He was running practice just like he always did.
Soon Bill, Anne and Bob rode a golf cart back to the locker room while we finished practice.
She won!

Funny Bill Zimmer story.
Bill had been having some heart issues. Unfortunately, it was also football season. I got a call that Bill had been admitted into the hospital for observation. O.K. No problem. We had Jim Hall, Terry Ziemke and other experienced coaches who were very capable of filling in until Bill could return.

So I go to practice on Wednesday and Bill is there. Great. He must be feeling better. Pretty soon you see this little red-head marching out onto the practice field. Not far behind is A.D. Bob Allen chasing after her.

Soon you hear, "Damn it Bill, you're not supposed to be out here. You're supposed to be at home resting".
Now understand Bill formerly played with the 49'ers, was always in tremendous shape, and for some reason always took his front teeth out before going to practice. But there was one thing hear feared, that was his wife Anne.
He said, "Oh, Anne, I'm fine. I just wanted to see how things were going." Which was a lie. He was running practice just like he always did.
Soon Bill, Anne and Bob rode a golf cart back to the locker room while we finished practice.
She won!
:D:D As soon as you said "little redhead" I knew who you were talking about.

Wow, some blasts from the past. I haven't heard the name Terry Ziemke in years. He was my freshman baseball coach and in those days I think he was an assistant on the sophomore team that Jim Story coached. I can't remember. I think his daughter was a real good swimmer at Lockport and set some records.

Bob Allen is another from the past. Good guy too. My mom worked at Lockport Central and did the payroll. So, I learned all the first names of the teachers. LOL. After a few years doing that she became Bob Allen's secretary. She made a lot of calls in those days for scheduling, etc.

Great story! Yep, the good old days at Lockport.

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't pick the Vikings over the Bears this coming week? As I sit here today I'll say, the Bears won't make the playoffs. Even if an 8th team is added which has been talked about. Heaven help us! Sorry this went so long.

Against all logic and reason, I am taking the Bears to win on MNF. The only 2 reasons I am clinging to are: 1) The Bears are very good against the run and that's what Minny relies on and 2) Kirk Cousins always struggles against the Bears (especially on the road).

Against all logic and reason, I am taking the Bears to win on MNF. The only 2 reasons I am clinging to are: 1) The Bears are very good against the run and that's what Minny relies on and 2) Kirk Cousins always struggles against the Bears (especially on the road).

Take the Bears because your a Bears fan. The Vikings well their the Vikings and usually suck and always choke. LMAO! 😂

ADVERTISEMENT