Baseball in the fall

Discussion in 'The Baseball Board' started by USD24, Jul 30, 2020.

1. USD24

USD24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why didn't the IHSA move baseball to the fall. All the kids are currently playing, why not just jump right into the high school season. What is the down side?

2. sporthog9er

sporthog9er Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Andersen said yesterday that it was on the table but then off because they didn't want boys to have to choose one sport over the other..meaning golf or XC.

It makes absolutely zero sense. Really. The lowest risk sport. Fields not being competed for with other sports on campus. They screwed this up. Could certainly give them a chance to get more of a season than 15-18 games (and the 2-3 game max per week is ridiculous). And if it got banged this fall, then you could have moved them to the proposed summer season as stated for a backup.

At least IESA looks to be thinking about possibly reversing their decision to allow jr high baseball and softball after the JB news yesterday.

3. USD24

USD24 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That is silly. Kids have to choose between football, golf and XC every year in the fall.

sporthog9er likes this.
  4. sporthog9er

Expand Collapse

Personally I think it may have to do with almost no time for ADs to schedule. Was probably easiest to allow some the fall sports already scheduled to stay, then give ADs more time to reschedule everything later. But certainly not science or data to say they can't move the sports to fall in regards to safety and risk.

5. LakeCtyNewt

LakeCtyNewt Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think it’s also a case of fields and how long you run the season. Since it starts getting dark around 5-5:30 by the end of September it limits where you can play games. Unlike football, very few options are available for night HS baseball. Not saying that’s the only reason but it would make it difficult.

USD24 likes this.
  6. Crispy Linnetta

Crispy Linnetta Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That’s a great point. If that were the case, perhaps they can implement no new inning after 1:45 as they do in travel tourneys. I would personally live to see them play in the fall. Our best weather months around these parts are September and the first few weeks of October in my opinion. Lastly, if they played in the fall, college coaches might actually get to see some of these athletes play for their respective high schools instead of in a travel/showcase setting.

7. sporthog9er

Expand Collapse

Some HS coaches are proposing letting baseball play as much as they can right now, then carry over those records to the spring/summer. At that point play conference only (stay in the 15-18 game limit if that cant be changed) and do a state series. Now that is thinking outside the box and in the best interest of the sport, making up for a lost season. So of course it won't happen. But I like that idea.

8. LakeCtyNewt

LakeCtyNewt Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I like this idea. You’d have to start the season in early august but if you implemented the 1:45 rule you could easily get 20+ games played.

9. missingwalter

missingwalter Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sunset in the Chicago area in late September is around 6:45.