ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Playoff Format

brucealmighy

Apr 30, 2006
Stumbled across a video of the Arizona “Open” division state championship game. This is the first year they have implemented this new format. The top 8 teams in the states top divisions (3 of 6) were put into a separate playoff bracket. This was determined by some computer formula.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/12/04/open-division-inaugural-season/amp/

Imagine how great that would be in Illinois. Let’s just use the finalists in 5A-8A. Slot the champs in as the top 4 and the runners up as the next 4.

1. LWE vs. 8. St. Rita
4. Rochester vs 5. Warren
2. MC vs 7. PR
3. ESL vs 6. Naz

Reactions: go dogz
The growth of AZ HS football in the last 10 years has been insane. They went from being a mediocre producer of talent to a trove if 4 and 5 star talent.

I think the question would be, how much time would he have to throw? My guess is, very little.

If CG can hold Rochester to 28, I am sure Warren could hold them to 14 points or less easily. The question is can Warren pass the ball on offense. Rochester held St. Rita run game in check so I would assume a more diverse offense is needed.

My nephew was the #8 seed in this years AZ format. He played for Chaparral H.S. who eventually lost to #1 Chandler H.S. It was a huge honor for them to be in the "Elite 8" even if it meant playing the #1 seed. I wish more states would adopt this format. Games were packed! Everyone from AZ watched.

Reactions: epicbret
My nephew was the #8 seed in this years AZ format. He played for Chaparral H.S. who eventually lost to #1 Chandler H.S. It was a huge honor for them to be in the "Elite 8" even if it meant playing the #1 seed. I wish more states would adopt this format. Games were packed! Everyone from AZ watched.
Both terrific programs

ADVERTISEMENT