ADVERTISEMENT

Appreciative

gw86

Oct 26, 2015
I don’t know, maybe I’m in the minority. Or maybe it’s the silent majority and the minority are the outspoken ones. Is anyone else at least appreciative of what came out yesterday?

I just got done reading the twitter threads under the IHSA announcement and want to beat my head against a wall. Same goes with some of the comments on here. There’s people complaining about how now the new seasons interfere with club seasons. The IHSA is stuck trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with all the rescheduling. Do you really think the IHSA is worried about if their new schedule conflicts with basically a competitor’s schedule? Yes, there’s going to be athletes that don’t go out for a school sport because they can’t miss their club season. But guess what, there’s going to still be a significant amount of athletes that go out for their school team. I can’t remember what thread it was on but someone actually made the comment that they hope the baseball/softball association their kid plays for doesn’t cave and give in to the IHSA and change next May/June’s schedule. If their kid is anything like the parent, I’m sure that high school coach won’t mind not seeing the kid go out this year.

Then there are parents complaining about how short the summer season is. Isn’t something better than nothing? I mean would you rather have the longer season right before where you start 2/15 and end 5/1? Shoot, you might get 5 baseball games in over that time frame due to weather/field conditions compared to the 15ish games in the shorter summer season. Basketball is my sport I’m involved with and I have my fingers crossed we keep the schedule that was released. The realist in me knows if we get anything in, it might be more of a brief January season with the small chance of some post season play in February. Either way, it’s nice to know there’s hope we’ll be able to roll out the balls this year.

And those unhappy campers that want their schools to break off from the IHSA or those parents that want to move to a different state for a better opportunity, all I’ll say is go for it and good luck. Seems like a reasonable reaction given everything that’s going on.

I guess after a crappy few months, whether or not any of this plan actually happens, isn’t it just nice being able to look forward to something? Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

I don’t know, maybe I’m in the minority. Or maybe it’s the silent majority and the minority are the outspoken ones. Is anyone else at least appreciative of what came out yesterday?

I just got done reading the twitter threads under the IHSA announcement and want to beat my head against a wall. Same goes with some of the comments on here. There’s people complaining about how now the new seasons interfere with club seasons. The IHSA is stuck trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with all the rescheduling. Do you really think the IHSA is worried about if their new schedule conflicts with basically a competitor’s schedule? Yes, there’s going to be athletes that don’t go out for a school sport because they can’t miss their club season. But guess what, there’s going to still be a significant amount of athletes that go out for their school team. I can’t remember what thread it was on but someone actually made the comment that they hope the baseball/softball association their kid plays for doesn’t cave and give in to the IHSA and change next May/June’s schedule. If their kid is anything like the parent, I’m sure that high school coach won’t mind not seeing the kid go out this year.

Then there are parents complaining about how short the summer season is. Isn’t something better than nothing? I mean would you rather have the longer season right before where you start 2/15 and end 5/1? Shoot, you might get 5 baseball games in over that time frame due to weather/field conditions compared to the 15ish games in the shorter summer season. Basketball is my sport I’m involved with and I have my fingers crossed we keep the schedule that was released. The realist in me knows if we get anything in, it might be more of a brief January season with the small chance of some post season play in February. Either way, it’s nice to know there’s hope we’ll be able to roll out the balls this year.

And those unhappy campers that want their schools to break off from the IHSA or those parents that want to move to a different state for a better opportunity, all I’ll say is go for it and good luck. Seems like a reasonable reaction given everything that’s going on.

I guess after a crappy few months, whether or not any of this plan actually happens, isn’t it just nice being able to look forward to something? Thanks for listening to my ted talk.
Eh.

I agree I wanted them to play this fall but condensing the seasons rather then canceling benefits the most kids. Some kids get the short end of the stick but overall the current set up is the best that can be done. If some kids want to play club instead of HS they should do what’s best for them.

i'm with you gw!

Reactions: gw86

I think you are right here. I read a great tweet by a coach (can't remember who right now) that I will paraphrase - this is the preferred plan for the year. After all the disruption and confusion we have gone through since March, with schools being closed, with guidance coming out then changing, with not being able to maintain consistent S&C; going into a season in the fall would likely lead to more injuries, and a bad football experience.

Now, we have 5 months for teams to prepare with 20 contact days to use during the fall and winter, and the ability to have consistent S&C. This makes it more of a "normal" off season.This plan adds stability as kids figure out how to go back to school and operate as a student-athlete. If it is about the kids, as many have said it is, this is taking care of the kids.

Reactions: gw86 and PowerI66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT