ADVERTISEMENT

Any Thoughts on the Brackets?

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
I was hoping a JC-StL game would happen in a Super in Crestwood but looks like they would play a game beforehand.

Provi vs HF first game is a tough draw. 2 guys throwing 90+ to face LWE for regional title

Reactions: USD24
The 3A Ottawa Sectional has to be one of the tougher 3A sectionals, since the classes were expanded. The top 4 seeds in each Sub-sectional are as follows:

Sub-Sectional A
1. Joliet (Catholic Academy)
2. Coal City
3. Morris
4. Manteno

Sub-Sectional B
1. Burbank (St. Laurence)
2. Tinley Park (H.S.)
3. Oak Forest
4. Lemont (H.S.)

Anything is possible in baseball, but it looks like Coal City got a tough draw. They currently sit at 21-3. Their reward? They may have to defeat Morris (18-6), St. Laurence (25-3) and JCA (21-6) in succession to advance. Lemont has beaten some good teams (i.e. LWE and Lyons) and is dangerous. And both Tinley (18-5) and Oak Forest (15-3) will be tough outs. Don't know much about Manteno, other than they are currently 15-5.

Reactions: Gene K.
And Dean, the Rita Sectional does not look as strong as it once was. After losing Laurence, it doesn't appear to be as deep after the top 5. I'd rate both the Oswego and Lockport Sectionals as deeper and tougher fields.

StRitaBaseball The Mustangs (23-4) will be the #1 seed in the St. Rita Sectional, followed by #2 Nazareth, #3 Brother Rice, #4 Lyons Township, and #5 Mt. Carmel. Regional pairings are yet to be determined.

Congrats to 3 senior baseball players: Vic Aguilar (North Central), Marc Zavala (Robert Morris), and Anthony Skokal (St. Ambrose) who make it NINE (9) members of the SR Baseball Class of 2019 who will continue their careers at the college level.

The Mustangs (24-4, 8-2) beat Marmion Academy 5-2 behind the pitching of Justin Valdez (3-0) who earned the win with 5.1 innings of shutout baseball moving St. Rita into sole possession of 1st place in the CCLBlue

The 3A Ottawa Sectional has to be one of the tougher 3A sectionals, since the classes were expanded. The top 4 seeds in each Sub-sectional are as follows:

Sub-Sectional A
1. Joliet (Catholic Academy)
2. Coal City
3. Morris
4. Manteno

Sub-Sectional B
1. Burbank (St. Laurence)
2. Tinley Park (H.S.)
3. Oak Forest
4. Lemont (H.S.)

Anything is possible in baseball, but it looks like Coal City got a tough draw. They currently sit at 21-3. Their reward? They may have to defeat Morris (18-6), St. Laurence (25-3) and JCA (21-6) in succession to advance. Lemont has beaten some good teams (i.e. LWE and Lyons) and is dangerous. And both Tinley (18-5) and Oak Forest (15-3) will be tough outs. Don't know much about Manteno, other than they are currently 15-5.

The brackets make ZERO sense. What is the point of having a sub-sectional if you don't keep the teams in that sub-sectional? The top 4 teams in these sub-sectionals were all moved around. It now looks like this

Sub Sectional 1
1. St Laurence
2. Coal City
4. Morris
4. Lemont

Sub Sectional 2
1. JCA
2. Tinley Park
3. Oak Forest
4. Manteno

Again, what is the point of releasing "sub sectionals" before the brackets, if the IHSA doesnt even follow their own seeding format?

The brackets make ZERO sense. What is the point of having a sub-sectional if you don't keep the teams in that sub-sectional? The top 4 teams in these sub-sectionals were all moved around. It now looks like this

Sub Sectional 1
1. St Laurence
2. Coal City
4. Morris
4. Lemont

Sub Sectional 2
1. JCA
2. Tinley Park
3. Oak Forest
4. Manteno

Again, what is the point of releasing "sub sectionals" before the brackets, if the IHSA doesnt even follow their own seeding format?
I’m a little confused... did JCA not benefit from this bracket?

Subsectionals only have to do with seeding, doesn't make sense. But with subsectionals they only seed each sub instead of the whole sectional.

It appears the 4A Lockport sectional will (should) have some quality regional championship games. Quality pitchers everywhere

LWE vs HF/Provi (LWE split with HF, beat Provi but didn't see their ace)
Lockport vs Andrew/Sandburg (Lockport beat Andrew, lost twice to Sandburg)
LWC vs Marian Catholic (didn't play each other this year)
Marist vs LWW (Marist won close game vs LWW very early in year)

Reactions: USD24
It appears the 4A Lockport sectional will (should) have some quality regional championship games. Quality pitchers everywhere

LWE vs HF/Provi (LWE split with HF, beat Provi but didn't see their ace)
Lockport vs Andrew/Sandburg (Lockport beat Andrew, lost twice to Sandburg)
LWC vs Marian Catholic (didn't play each other this year)
Marist vs LWW (Marist won close game vs LWW very early in year)
Great sectional! Great teams! Should be entertaining

You are correct, it doesn’t make it right.... JCA definitely benefitted though
The key was JCA getting the top seed in the Sub-sectional. I know the Hilltoppers beat Coal City in their head-to-head, but Coal City had 3 fewer losses. Strength of schedule had to be the key. That's if the coaches, who vote on the seeding, even do any research.

The key was JCA getting the top seed in the Sub-sectional. I know the Hilltoppers beat Coal City in their head-to-head, but Coal City had 3 fewer losses. Strength of schedule had to be the key. That's if the coaches, who vote on the seeding, even do any research.
Oh, there is no doubt they deserved the top seed in the sub-sectional. They play a gauntlet of a schedule. The game they beat us head to head, they threw who I think everyone would agree is their ace, and we went a few rungs down the ladder. Regardless, they are a deserving 1 seed.

The coaches write down the seed they think they should be and write an explanation why. I'm sure everyone knew JCA should be a #1

ADVERTISEMENT