ADVERTISEMENT

Any notable starters/players opting out of Spring?

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
Besides the ones we already have discussed in much length over the past 9 months, since the announcement last week do you know of any players that have opted out due to sports over laping or are just flat out calling it a season with no playoffs at stake? I'm sure every team will have a few.

A few did at Loyola. Won't out them individually here because it isn't my place. That said, one was a fringe starter and the other two wouldn't likely have played much. Two were seniors who want to play other sports another was an underclassmen who wanted to focus on another spring sport.

Reactions: McCaravan
So what happens with the ballers playing now through early March, who are also FB players? Do they just sit-out of FB, start later to get their required practices, or leave hoops early to start FB on time? I ask thinking about RB Irving from Hillcrest when asking, but wondering about anyone.

So what happens with the ballers playing now through early March, who are also FB players? Do they just sit-out of FB, start later to get their required practices, or leave hoops early to start FB on time? I ask thinking about RB Irving from Hillcrest when asking, but wondering about anyone.
Most teams are adjusting practices for multiple sport athletes. Teams are being smart about how they acclimate their players.

Most teams are adjusting practices for multiple sport athletes. Teams are being smart about how they acclimate their players.
This is one of the problems I have with some of the offerings on this forum.
"Most" teams ... well, there are approximately 500 schools in Illinois that play both basketball and football, which is kind of what we're talking about here, based on eagles2k2 question.
Since basketball is currently in the middle of its season, and football practice will start on Wednesday, I am not sure where the information about adjusting practices for multiple-sport athletes comes from. Can you offer one example of what a basketball coach at what school has told his players from freshman through seniors about what they can do beginning on March 3? Have the basketball players been told they can skip hoops practice to attend football practice, and then can still come back and play in the basketball games? That's basically the issue. Because if a basketball player goes through the hoops season and then joins the football team, he won't be eligible for Week 1 of a six-week season.
All I really want is when eagles 2k3 asked a reasonable question, for someone to offer specifics about what the hoops guys have been told about football. Do they quit basketball on Tuesday night, March 2? Do they join the football team late, and miss Game 1 of the grid season? I have zero idea and am interested. Just as I am interested in how a high school baseball program is going to pick its team, and then after the team has been selected, a bunch of football players show up wanting to play baseball. How is that going to be handled. I am curious.
So anybody who can offer what a school is doing with basketball players who also want to play football, I certainly would be interested, and I would say eagles2k3 would be also.
But just to say most teams are adjusting practices and offering no schools and no plans kind of seems pretty vague from this corner of the room.

"Most" teams ... well, there are approximately 500 schools in Illinois that play both basketball and football, which is kind of what we're talking about here, based on eagles2k2 question.
Since basketball is currently in the middle of its season, and football practice will start on Wednesday, I am not sure where the information about adjusting practices for multiple-sport athletes comes from. Can you offer one example of what a basketball coach at what school has told his players from freshman through seniors about what they can do beginning on March 3? Have the basketball players been told they can skip hoops practice to attend football practice, and then can still come back and play in the basketball games? That's basically the issue. Because if a basketball player goes through the hoops season and then joins the football team, he won't be eligible for Week 1 of a six-week season.
All I really want is when eagles 2k3 asked a reasonable question, for someone to offer specifics about what the hoops guys have been told about football. Do they quit basketball on Tuesday night, March 2? Do they join the football team late, and miss Game 1 of the grid season? I have zero idea and am interested. Just as I am interested in how a high school baseball program is going to pick its team, and then after the team has been selected, a bunch of football players show up wanting to play baseball. How is that going to be handled. I am curious.
So anybody who can offer what a school is doing with basketball players who also want to play football, I certainly would be interested, and I would say eagles2k3 would be also.
But just to say most teams are adjusting practices and offering no schools and no plans kind of seems pretty vague from this corner of the room.
What I meant was, from what I’ve gathered, is that many teams are going to stagger their practices so that kids can be at multiple practices. For example, varsity football will practice at 6am, while varsity basketball will practice at 3:30. While basketball is still going on, the combo sport athletes will simple walk through their football practices. That way they can still get the minimum amount of practices to be able to play in a game. This is not a normal season, there’s no state championship, coaches just want their kids to get a good experience. If a kid isn’t ready to start week 1 because they’ve been primarily basketball, then they will get less minutes. However, every kid wants to play so they will be attending as many practices as they can.
I’m honestly shocked at how many people feel this is an issue. Pretend you’re a high school kid. You want to play as much as you can for your school. You’ve been held out for almost a year!!! Coaches will work it out. Let these kids get as many games, practices as they can!

To be more specific I can tell you that our North suburban conference has agreed to let any players coming from basketball season to only have to participate in 10 practices prior to the 1st game to be eligible. All other players who aren't involved in a current Winter sport will have to attend 12 practices to be eligible for the opening game.

To be more specific I can tell you that our North suburban conference has agreed to let any players coming from basketball season to only have to participate in 10 practices prior to the 1st game to be eligible. All other players who aren't involved in a current Winter sport will have to attend 12 practices to be eligible for the opening game.

That's an IHSA rule this year.

I am certain there are programs at various schools (across all sports) that drew a line in the sand with kids. Others are just kids who do not want to overlap. I doubt you will get specific schools and programs called out on here. What I will say is there is no top athlete that doesn't already know how he will split his time no matter the sport. They are not winging it.

Reactions: Gene K.
That's an IHSA rule this year.

I am certain there are programs at various schools (across all sports) that drew a line in the sand with kids. Others are just kids who do not want to overlap. I doubt you will get specific schools and programs called out on here. What I will say is there is no top athlete that doesn't already know how he will split his time no matter the sport. They are not winging it.
Ihsa itself announced athletes going from fall sport to football only need 10 practices and not 12 so the north suburban conference statement about accommodating student athletes is deceptive. Ihsa said in January release on ihsa website home page that 10 practices were needed for athletes already in a fall sport such as basketball. Ihsa ruled 10 practices not the north suburban conference.

ADVERTISEMENT