ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Henning

LWeastDad,
I also vote for the education but can’t stand ND. Northwestern is fine except they have a ways to go to even think about sniffing a NC. If the kid wants to play football at the highest level? Well that would be Alabama. If he is going to school to get an education and doesn’t care about football Then I am sure a bunch of schools would love to have him. Plenty of Ivy League schools if he has the grades would look good on his resume but they are not going turn anyone’s head as far as football. Heck Stanford might be a great choice since they offer both education and a top level football.
In any case he has a lot of options.

Good luck to the young man. I hope he has a great season and free of injuries.

Go East!
Stay home at NU. Top level football has been coming. Open at Stanford this year, we’ll see who wins that one.

For what it worth I will chime in with what most already know;

(1) I have seen several area kids go out to the West Coast, a few have done well, a few have come home early. It is a long flight out to the West Coast and not an inexpensive flight. In other words the parents may only be able to go to games sporadically, and the kid may only be able to come home 2 or 3 times a year.

(2) If you don't want to go local the ACC or B1G is the way to go. You can get to most ACC colleges in less than 2.5 hours via Southwest out of Midway. B1G, for the most part, is a car ride.

(3) Local, I don't have to go into why Northwestern or ND are attractive, those programs sell themselves.

(1) I have seen several area kids go out to the West Coast, a few have done well, a few have come home early. It is a long flight out to the West Coast and not an inexpensive flight. In other words the parents may only be able to go to games sporadically, and the kid may only be able to come home 2 or 3 times a year.

(2) If you don't want to go local the ACC or B1G is the way to go. You can get to most ACC colleges in less than 2.5 hours via Southwest out of Midway. B1G, for the most part, is a car ride.

(3) Local, I don't have to go into why Northwestern or ND are attractive, those programs sell themselves.
Agree my kid lasted a yr on west coast school

Just adding to the 1st point (which I agree with), a big part is the time difference. By the time you are done with practice, dinner and studies, your family is most likely asleep. When you wake up, a lot of them are at work. Makes it hard when you are limited to phone calls home. At least when you travel east, you be done with the majority of your day and still be calling home at a reasonable hour. Even outside of season, those kids are constantly under heavy workloads and pressure. 2 hours doesn't sound like a big difference when you are taking a weekend trip, it is when you are talking about every day life.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Just adding to the 1st point (which I agree with), a big part is the time difference. By the time you are done with practice, dinner and studies, your family is most likely asleep. When you wake up, a lot of them are at work. Makes it hard when you are limited to phone calls home. At least when you travel east, you be done with the majority of your day and still be calling home at a reasonable hour. Even outside of season, those kids are constantly under heavy workloads and pressure. 2 hours doesn't sound like a big difference when you are taking a weekend trip, it is when you are talking about every day life.

Is it the kids that struggle or the parents? It sounds more like the parents. Let’s face it when a kid goes away to college it is also to help them grow up. That means get away from home. If the kid wants to get a hold of their parents they can. I don’t buy any of this, you guys are speaking for what’s best for you not what’s best for the kid. Let the kid make his first big decision and support them.

Is it the kids that struggle or the parents? It sounds more like the parents. Let’s face it when a kid goes away to college it is also to help them grow up. That means get away from home. If the kid wants to get a hold of their parents they can. I don’t buy any of this, you guys are speaking for what’s best for you not what’s best for the kid. Let the kid make his first big decision and support them.

The kids definitely struggle with this as well. I work with a lot of new grads and have placed them on the West Coast and find requests to move back common for this reason (usually closer to the 2 year marker, 1st year everyone appreciates the change up). They work in consulting so the hours are very long, don't get done till late. Also - this isn't a one-off get a hold of your parents, this is in reference to not having a support system readily available.

Also going to college - and going to be a D1 athlete are 2 very different things in my opinion. I go to college, I'm focused on academics and maybe a part time job. If I go to college across the country from my family - highly doubt I'm working a full time job. D1 athletes are working essentially over a full time job and balancing academics. To me this is definitely a struggle for both kids and parents. Hits the parents quicker, but it will eventually get to the kid.

The kids definitely struggle with this as well. I work with a lot of new grads and have placed them on the West Coast and find requests to move back common for this reason (usually closer to the 2 year marker, 1st year everyone appreciates the change up). They work in consulting so the hours are very long, don't get done till late. Also - this isn't a one-off get a hold of your parents, this is in reference to not having a support system readily available.

Also going to college - and going to be a D1 athlete are 2 very different things in my opinion. I go to college, I'm focused on academics and maybe a part time job. If I go to college across the country from my family - highly doubt I'm working a full time job. D1 athletes are working essentially over a full time job and balancing academics. To me this is definitely a struggle for both kids and parents. Hits the parents quicker, but it will eventually get to the kid.

Okay
I am sure some kids will struggle but not all. Plenty of kids move long distances from home and do just fine. I guess like anything else everyone is different. Just because the move away doesn’t mean they don’t have a support system with their family.

based on facebook posts, it looks like he is making the SEC School tour.

I was wondering if this young man was giving track another shot following his stellar freshman year then sitting out of the sport due to injury last season. I see he qualified as a 4th place finisher in the 100m out of today's 3A sectional at Bloom. East's 4x2 also qualified on time from a 6th place finish, but the meet results did not indicate if he was a member of that relay. You must give him credit for putting himself on the line again instead of resting on past track laurels.

Reactions: Gene K.
I was wondering if this young man was giving track another shot following his stellar freshman year then sitting out of the sport due to injury last season. I see he qualified as a 4th place finisher in the 100m out of today's 3A sectional at Bloom. East's 4x2 also qualified on time from a 6th place finish, but the meet results did not indicate if he was a member of that relay. You must give him credit for putting himself on the line again instead of resting on past track laurels.

If I was AJ I wouldn’t. He has a lot at stake with all his football recruiting. Why risk injury. He can heal up real well and get ready for football season.

If I was AJ I wouldn’t. He has a lot at stake with all his football recruiting. Why risk injury. He can heal up real well and get ready for football season.

Just saw this. If he wasn't sprinting in track, he would of been sprinting on his own working out for football. Unless you feel he should of done no type of preparation for the upcoming season.

Just saw this. If he wasn't sprinting in track, he would of been sprinting on his own working out for football. Unless you feel he should of done no type of preparation for the upcoming season.

Where did I say that in my post? I didn’t say anything about running track or any other type of activity. I just said he needs to stay healthy. He can do whatever he wants but if he gets injured this year he may get labeled injury prone? I would not want to see that especially with his talent.

Look above.

Yes why risk injury? Meaning know what your sport is and keep it your main focus. If he wants to run track to get/stay in shape that’s fine but if he pulls a hammy or something how does that help him with recruiting? Or his up coming season. Look every athlete has to make a decision about risking injury when they have a lot riding on the next level opportunity. Someone who has injuries needs to be even more aware of their decisions.
I wish AJ the best heck he plays for the team I root for. I hope he has a lights out season.

Yes why risk injury? Meaning know what your sport is and keep it your main focus. If he wants to run track to get/stay in shape that’s fine but if he pulls a hammy or something how does that help him with recruiting? Or his up coming season. Look every athlete has to make a decision about risking injury when they have a lot riding on the next level opportunity. Someone who has injuries needs to be even more aware of their decisions.
I wish AJ the best heck he plays for the team I root for. I hope he has a lights out season.

Then why should he work out? He could blow an ACL doing cone drills at a summer practice.

Then why should he work out? He could blow an ACL doing cone drills at a summer practice.

Agree but when you racing in a track meet that’s more than working out. Your running full speed against the competition and the clock. I think their is a fine line in risking injury. I would hate to see the young man have an injury before the season even starts. It is his decision and I wish him well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT