ADVERTISEMENT

Ain't that the truth!

After attending Wheaton Central... Belushi went to College of DuPage, then graduated from Southern Illinois (Carbondale). He is a bandwagon jumper, supporting Loyola to gain brownie points from Chicagoans. Hey Jim... how many Loyola games have you attended in the last 20 years?

Reactions: Cat Box
https://www.theonion.com/pope-francis-asks-congregation-if-it-s-okay-if-they-do-1824185569
--
Pope Francis Asks Congregation If It’s Okay If They Do A Low-Key Easter This Year

c7oxfeygixfejsa9qlgh.jpg

VATICAN CITY—In an effort to make the holiday as stress-free as possible for everyone, Pope Francis asked congregants gathered at St. Peter’s Basilica Thursday if it would be okay to just do a low-key Easter this year. “I know we usually get dressed up and make a big deal out of Easter, but wouldn’t it be nice if just this once we had one laid-back mass on Sunday and then called it a day?” said the Supreme Pontiff, noting that while he loved the tradition, he was completely swamped for most of Lent and did not have much time to prepare for the Christian festival this year. “We can definitely do a little communion Easter morning, and maybe we’ll have a quick homily, but, honestly, can we all just save ourselves the hassle and skip Good Friday?” At press time, the Pope was stressing that Easter was really about spending time with loved ones while wondering aloud if it might be better for everyone to just grab brunch at a bistro in Rome’s Flaminio district.

https://www.theonion.com/pope-francis-asks-congregation-if-it-s-okay-if-they-do-1824185569
--
Pope Francis Asks Congregation If It’s Okay If They Do A Low-Key Easter This Year

c7oxfeygixfejsa9qlgh.jpg

VATICAN CITY—In an effort to make the holiday as stress-free as possible for everyone, Pope Francis asked congregants gathered at St. Peter’s Basilica Thursday if it would be okay to just do a low-key Easter this year. “I know we usually get dressed up and make a big deal out of Easter, but wouldn’t it be nice if just this once we had one laid-back mass on Sunday and then called it a day?” said the Supreme Pontiff, noting that while he loved the tradition, he was completely swamped for most of Lent and did not have much time to prepare for the Christian festival this year. “We can definitely do a little communion Easter morning, and maybe we’ll have a quick homily, but, honestly, can we all just save ourselves the hassle and skip Good Friday?” At press time, the Pope was stressing that Easter was really about spending time with loved ones while wondering aloud if it might be better for everyone to just grab brunch at a bistro in Rome’s Flaminio district.

GEpreps - why on earth would you post a satire article from the Onion on a completely unrelated topic? Are intentionally trying to be irreverent to both the thread topic and the Good Friday/Easter celebration?

While I’m unclear as to the relevancy in this situation, I do love The Onion.

Interesting article, despite the gaps in reason.

While there may be an explanation for Catholic universities' basketball success in the segregated 1950's and 1960's, that same reasoning falls short in a fully integrated, color-blind basketball age (1970's to present).

I salute the schools which contributed to breaking the color barrier. There are also secular schools to be credited with breaking the color barrier. While the mission of Catholic schools may have been contributing factor, no doubt there was opportunism and desire to level the playing field. What better guise to mask athletic ambition than religious mission? Was it compassionate spirit or competitive spirit? Only God knows the hearts of men.

What is apparent, Catholic universities of today are increasingly and significantly "less Catholic" in enrollment, faculty and philosophy. Although Catholic in name and heritage, many Catholic institutions are at best, spiritually hollow, and at worst, embarrassingly hypocritical. While aging Catholic leadership may nostalgically cling to the relics of their religion, the practice of these schools creates little distinction from non-religious schools. In short, the Catholic vs. state university contrast in 2018 is hardly apparent.

I am 100% rooting for Loyola. It's a good team with good kids who have worked very hard to get where they are. Go Ramblers!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT