ADVERTISEMENT

99 days till football

So does SR make the playoffs?
They will be favored against JCA @home in week #1. JCA will be very young this year, but trying to reload with not many juniors returning.

Assuming they beat JCA in week 1 and not remembering their schedule, I would say they definitely make the playoffs easily.

LWE prediction for the fall? Reloading? Kind of think there is a good chance of LWE/LA rematch
I see LWE hosts Stevenson in the opener, followed by a trip to Payton Thorne-less Naperville Central. The athleticism of Bolingbrook and H-F await in Weeks 4 and 5, away then home, respectively. New Lockport coach George Czart will get his shot at the Griffins in Frankfort Week 7. Finally, the first meeting between East and LW West happens in Week 9 on LaGrange Road.

JCA at home. Richards, Loyola, and Montini on the road the next three weeks. Tough start.

St. Rita will be young at several positions. I think they will a little faster and a little stronger this year. If they survive those first four weeks w/o major injuries they will be a tough team come the playoffs. I like the attitude the team showed last year by never getting down over the record and looking at the Prep Bowl as an opportunity to continuing playing. The off season workouts have been spirited. That attitude has carried over to the other teams with CCL titles in baseketball, volleyball, and baseball. The Lacorsse and water polo teams had great seasons as well. I think the teams have fed upon each other.

If the football team takes a loss early in the season I don't think they will get down on themselves. I will be looking for them to finish strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCLGUY1964
I see LWE hosts Stevenson in the opener, followed by a trip to Payton Thorne-less Naperville Central. The athleticism of Bolingbrook and H-F await in Weeks 4 and 5, away then home, respectively. New Lockport coach George Czart will get his shot at the Griffins in Frankfort Week 7. Finally, the first meeting between East and LW West happens in Week 9 on LaGrange Road.
We finished like 12th out of 15 in the track sectional. I don't think we qualify as "athletic" any more. You can pencil that W in. I'm waiting to see who we get week 1 as that will decide whether we are playing in week 10. SCN, LWE, HF, and Andrew are L's and Lockport is a wild card.

Was looking at Maxpreps and MC school's home page. Who does the Caravan open the season with?

Weeks 2-4 are all tough opponents. MS/LA/Montini. With Marist and BR later. Really hope this district football plan never comes to be.

Reactions: Eringobragh
Was looking at Maxpreps and MC school's home page. Who does the Caravan open the season with?

Weeks 2-4 are all tough opponents. MS/LA/Montini. With Marist and BR later. Really hope this district football plan never comes to be.
Central High in Gary. MC Alum and former coach Rick Good is the coach there. Was supposed to be Curie but something happened.

Why not just take the seven wins and prepare for the playoffs?

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
After playing in the green last year, it was boring football. Every game was won by 21 plus. Yes MC still was a yard away from being in the title game but as a fan of football, I’d rather see better battles, even if we drop a couple games.

Reactions: Eringobragh
Home opener at MC new field! I’m heading this second hand but heard Curie wanted a ridiculous cut of the gate and concessions
That's a good way to get out of a game that they don't want to play without losing face.

For one it doesn't prepare you for the playoffs. Every year you see highly seeded teams (9-0, 8-1, 7-2) in easy conferences lose to 5-4 teams that play tough competition. It's like schools that teach test answers so the standardized test scores make the school or the teacher look good. Then the kid flunks out a college he wasn't prepared for. The districts for MC and SR are a joke. I'd love to see MC/SR week one but if the district quads go as I see them it looks like SR and MC could met most years in round three.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignazio
So does SR make the playoffs?

TL has never posted an anticipatory-type thread like this before, so I am thinking TL thinks Rita's got the goods.

If the lines of scrimmages return to the traditional-type lines of the past, then I think SR has a real good shot to go deep into the playoffs. Curious to see who the QB will be?

TL has never posted an anticipatory-type thread like this before, so I am thinking TL thinks Rita's got the goods.

If the lines of scrimmages return to the traditional-type lines of the past, then I think SR has a real good shot to go deep into the playoffs. Curious to see who the QB will be?
I make no predictions on the overall season record. One game at a time. The only game on my radar is JCA, the first game of the year. I think the regular season record from last year was very deceiving. I like the attitude the kids showed last season and thru the winter workouts. You are right about the OL. With as much potential the young running backs have, they will win or lose as a team and OL will be a big part of that. I met a junior OL today in a restaurant who missed last year with an ACL injury. Says he’s good to go. I recognized him from videos’ on-line documenting the off season workouts in the new fitness center. He has nice size. He said the new fitness center has made big difference in the quality workouts with no wasted time between stations.

LA is LA year in and year out. But I think St. Rita is capable of turning a couple of those other L’s into W’s from last year. But those losses were to teams playing late in November. They will have to bring their “A” game right from week one. My only prediction is they make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
H-F set to host TF North in Week 1. Simply a case of difficulty for the Vikes in finding opponents or something else? Any insight out there?

Question for the board: what are the limits on when teams can start workouts? I know the number of days in pads has been limited over the years. When can teams go out and do drills? I know that there are several 7 on 7 camps that are open to the public. Are there any good one that are open to public on the south side or near south suburbs?

Had lunch this last week with two part time coaches (Leo, DeLaSalle). Their take on District Football is how do you coach a team to play running clock games? While in the short term it would be great for the record book, but it would diminish the quality of the programs. Do teams play down to their completion.

Question for the board: what are the limits on when teams can start workouts? I know the number of days in pads has been limited over the years. When can teams go out and do drills? I know that there are several 7 on 7 camps that are open to the public. Are there any good one that are open to public on the south side or near south suburbs?

Had lunch this last week with two part time coaches (Leo, DeLaSalle). Their take on District Football is how do you coach a team to play running clock games? While in the short term it would be great for the record book, but it would diminish the quality of the programs. Do teams play down to their completion.

This is how you prepare for uncompetitive districts.

This is how you prepare for uncompetitive districts.

Yeah I can see this happening in Illinois.

A little recent history I looked up on Refugio High School football:
2011 Champions won 36-35
2012 (Did not place)
2013 finished 2nd lost 56-36
2014 (Did not place)
2015 finished 2nd lost 61-20
2016 Champions won 23-20
2017 finished 2nd lost 34-21
2018 (Did not place)

Yeah I can see this happening in Illinois.

A little recent history I looked up on Refugio High School football:
2011 Champions won 36-35
2012 (Did not place)
2013 finished 2nd lost 56-36
2014 (Did not place)
2015 finished 2nd lost 61-20
2016 Champions won 23-20
2017 finished 2nd lost 34-21
2018 (Did not place)
We used to call that Maine Southing a team, but they were never as bad these guys were. We heard a lot of stuff hear about some 9-0 team margin of victory and having running clock by half time of a semi final. That didn't work out so well. A lot of posters I think were rooting against them. Not the team just the over zealous posters.

Getting back to the post how much does your team suffer w/o quality completion?

What are the projections for Justin Lynch? What does he have going for him besides genetics and football savvy?

JCA at home. Richards, Loyola, and Montini on the road the next three weeks. Tough start.

St. Rita will be young at several positions. I think they will a little faster and a little stronger this year. If they survive those first four weeks w/o major injuries they will be a tough team come the playoffs. I like the attitude the team showed last year by never getting down over the record and looking at the Prep Bowl as an opportunity to continuing playing. The off season workouts have been spirited. That attitude has carried over to the other teams with CCL titles in baseketball, volleyball, and baseball. The Lacorsse and water polo teams had great seasons as well. I think the teams have fed upon each other.

If the football team takes a loss early in the season I don't think they will get down on themselves. I will be looking for them to finish strong.

How do we know if a team will be faster or not? How many basketball/volleyball players are on the gridiron? Bones mentioned a sectional as a reason why his team won't be fast/athletic

How do we know if a team will be faster or not? How many basketball/volleyball players are on the gridiron? Bones mentioned a sectional as a reason why his team won't be fast/athletic

It is called sandbagging.

Sophomore to be Kaleb Brown will see a lot of time at running back this season. He anchored a 2nd place finish in the 4x200 meter finals. Finished 4th in the 100 finals missing 3rd place by .01 seconds. and made the finals in the 200 meters. He never ran track before the start of the winter track season. With the new fitness center at St. Rita the speed/agility numbers this off season showed great improvement over past years. If that equates to better performance on the field remains to be seen.

Sophomore to be Kaleb Brown will see a lot of time at running back this season. He anchored a 2nd place finish in the 4x200 meter finals. Finished 4th in the 100 finals missing 3rd place by .01 seconds. and made the finals in the 200 meters. He never ran track before the start of the winter track season. With the new fitness center at St. Rita the speed/agility numbers this off season showed great improvement over past years. If that equates to better performance on the field remains to be seen.
What you say about Brown is acceptable for "speed" thanks for the info, his progress will be followed. Track speed is verifiable ( he ran 10.8 which is fast). I seen the new fitness center, agility could be done, speed I dont think so unless kids were on track team, fill us in.

I wonder how many of the athletes on the Crete-Monee and H-F track & field teams (finished 1-2 respectively in 3A State Track Meet this past weekend) are football program contributors.

I wonder how many of the athletes on the Crete-Monee and H-F track & field teams (finished 1-2 respectively in 3A State Track Meet this past weekend) are football program contributors.
For Crete a good amount, the football program tweeted out some info. Cant speak on HF... EAST ST Louis won state too, have to assume they have plenty. Do you guys have thoughts on athletes choosing to lift all spring instead of competing (skill guys; track/LAX)?

I think track results are a good measure of what kind of speed is in the building whether we know if they play football or not. When you're coming in nearly last in a weak sectional that is an indication that there may not be much speed in the building, and if it's not in the building it can't be on the football team.

It is called sandbagging.

We've been past the 2nd rd two times in the past decade and haven't won a playoff game since 2014. Only beat H-F and LWE a combined one time after 2013. Last year the combined score to the LWE and H-F games was 50-0. I think the sandbagging claims have been successfully refuted.

I’ve had two boys go through it and I’m still confused but you get 25 contact days before your allowed in full pads which is August 12th. Weight room days are not considered contact days, you can lift and a supervisor can be present but no football drills or activities can be done besides weights and cardio or it’s considered a contact day. Obviously it’s very hard for IHSA to keep track of this.

I’ve had two boys go through it and I’m still confused but you get 25 contact days before your allowed in full pads which is August 12th. Weight room days are not considered contact days, you can lift and a supervisor can be present but no football drills or activities can be done besides weights and cardio or it’s considered a contact day. Obviously it’s very hard for IHSA to keep track of this.

It also has to be open to other sports/students besides football not to be a contact day. People cheat. IHSA covers themselves by having the rule. If some kid drops dead or gets seriously injured its on the coach if he breaks the rules.

You are allowed to start summer stuff either last day of school or first week of June. Whichever comes first.

There are 25 contact days total for the summer. I believe the IHSA requires a dead week which usually falls the week before fall camp starts where no coach contact is allowed.

Once fall camp starts there is no full contact until after 5 practice days. So if you practice Monday- Friday, Saturday can be your first full contact practice.

I don’t know about contact over the summer but can’t imagine many coaches do as the summer is spent mainly in installs.

Not a huge revelation been happening for a number of years now.

It also has to be open to other sports/students besides football not to be a contact day. People cheat. IHSA covers themselves by having the rule. If some kid drops dead or gets seriously injured its on the coach if he breaks the rules.
It is incumbent upon the AD, as well, to have the oversight to know what is going on within the athletic program. I suspect they would have some exposure in the event of problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT