ADVERTISEMENT

3A semis: An Overwhelming Favorite & 16 Seed

PanthersWildcats86

Oct 12, 2017
When was the last time a 16/lowest seed made the semifinals? Of course, Pleasant Plains only losses are to a 1A semi, a 2A semi, and a 3A quarter...Sangamo Conference showing some backbone...Williamsville probably wishing they went south instead of PP...

And PP gets to host the semi with 12-0 Anna-Jonesboro no less...

The overwhelming favorite 5 seed IC gets to travel to 3 seed 12-0 Byron...on grass....against another power running team...at least Byron uses multiple formations (single wing & double wing)...Byron has a great shot if they don't shoot themselves like Wilmington did...and made tackles in the first half...

I don't see Byron beating IC. This year's IC isn't as good on the defensive side of the ball but their team speed is above every other 3A team.

This is against what I’ve thought most of the year, but considering how the games against Wilmo and Peotone went, I would think that a Byron upset is possible.
IC is still a big time favorite.

All this does is just show you that the seeding system is garbage. If 3a used a 1-32 bracket where would IC have been seeded? Probably around 8-10 or so? The system is horrible and has many flaws.

However, on a different note IC being away from the turf at Plunkett again is the X factor in this week's game. Forecast calls for rain on Friday and Saturday in Byron and I feel like the chance for upset is even stronger than it was against Peotone. I still think IC wins but you never know, a few slips in the backfield or from would be tacklers for IC and the game could take a weird turn. Wish I didn't have previous obligations because I would love to make the trek. Fellow Cats fans....Have we ever played at Byron? I can't seem to think of a trip up there but I know we are 3-1 all time against them.

****Edit**** We did go to Byron in the first round one year. I personally did not attend. Wish I would have.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
All this does is just show you that the seeding system is garbage. If 3a used a 1-32 bracket where would IC have been seeded? Probably around 8-10 or so? The system is horrible and has many flaws.

However, on a different note IC being away from the turf at Plunkett again is the X factor in this week's game. Forecast calls for rain on Friday and Saturday in Byron and I feel like the chance for upset is even stronger than it was against Peotone. I still think IC wins but you never know, a few slips in the backfield or from would be tacklers for IC and the game could take a weird turn. Wish I didn't have previous obligations because I would love to make the trek. Fellow Cats fans....Have we ever played at Byron? I can't seem to think of a trip up there but I know we are 3-1 all time against them.

****Edit**** We did go to Byron in the first round one year. I personally did not attend. Wish I would have.
Wildcats played Byron several years in a row in the playoffs...at one point it was like a conference game. Running clocked them in the semi's in 2014; upset the Cats in a track meet in '15 (as the cats were clearly looking past the Tigers, wanting McNamara.

Wildcats played Byron several years in a row in the playoffs...at one point it was like a conference game. Running clocked them in the semi's in 2014; upset the Cats in a track meet in '15 (as the cats were clearly looking past the Tigers, wanting McNamara.

I have seen all three of the Byron games that we hosted, just didn't go there the one time. When Wilmington lost that game to Byron their fans LOVED it lol. I always stand by the baseball field at home games and one guy was yelling "START YOUR HARLEYS AND GO HOME YOU IMBRED HILLBILLIES" among many other similar slurs. Very Funny!

IC has won very close contests back-to-back weeks. I think everyone was expecting running clocks throughout the playoffs. They are clearly not the beast they were last year, but still very good.

IC has won very close contests back-to-back weeks. I think everyone was expecting running clocks throughout the playoffs. They are clearly not the beast they were last year, but still very good.

Agree. West is a very good small ball QB, and I know he ran for the winning TD vs Byron, but he's not on the level of Ricobene. Ricobene was shifty and super fast in addition to having all the qualities of a great QB. There's no more Rowell either. 3A teams don't typically just replace a D1 player. Eatman is a really good back, but he was there last year along with the Saunders brothers and a lot of the linemen. This year, they are good. Last year was ridiculous.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Agree. West is a very good small ball QB, and I know he ran for the winning TD vs Byron, but he's not on the level of Ricobene. Ricobene was shifty and super fast in addition to having all the qualities of a great QB. There's no more Rowell either. 3A teams don't typically just replace a D1 player. Eatman is a really good back, but he was there last year along with the Saunders brothers and a lot of the linemen. This year, they are good. Last year was ridiculous.

I agree with you. I still see them winning this game by 3-4 touchdowns.

Didn't Ricobene go down in week 2 or something like that?

Yeah they still win huge, almost certainly running clock. It’s on the turf, weather supposed to be clear and they playing a 16 team from the south bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT