ADVERTISEMENT

31 sacks real?

Guys I think Phillips is getting bad rep here. Until Rochester Opps to play up we all should be quiet.

Uh oh looks like Phillips Coach Larson is drunk tweeting again. feuding with the Solorio coach

@CoachHPhillips this is exactly why there is a lack of respect for Phillips out there. Act like an idiot and get treated like one...

where is there a lack of respect for the program, they have no bad history in recent memory? I do agree that tweeting is ridiculous for both coaches, a head coach publicly arguing with an assistant from the same conference!! Phillips coach is sounding like this is his swan song or something, if anything people may have a lack of respect for him, nobody should know assistants name, lol. Solorio coach sound like sour grapes, that 14-9 must've been a turnover fest, because Solorio got destroyed in state playoffs, weird Chicago Bear style play calling

Does that matter? It is giving kids that in some cases wouldn’t have an opportunity for an education and potentially more.

Watch the story of ESL and 89 blocks this weekend. Or watch the story of Orr academy. You think either of those schools get whatever comes through the door?

Clearly they offend you in some sick and demented sort of way. So much hate for so little reason.

I applaud Phillips for petitioning up. Some people seem to believe that Phillips set the bar too low to be commensurate with the talent level of the team they have fielded. Right or wrong, I fail to see any connection with your argument.
Phillips being in class 3A, 5A or 8A has zero bearing on their players receiving the opportunity for education and beyond. In fact, one might argue that playing higher level playoff competition would actually further benefit their athletic futures.

So, how is your worst indictment any different than what any private school has done for decades? They're legacies but we're cheaters... I'll be waiting for an explanation.
You'll get no argument from me on the private vs public schools coach. I have always thought boundaried public schools were at a severe disadvantage.

You'll get no argument from me on the private vs public schools coach. I have always thought boundaried public schools were at a severe disadvantage.

Well I can't fault your consistency.

But CPS is changing their rules this year to disallow transfers outside of a neighborhood school's attendance boundary beyond their freshmen year. So if someone wants to go to Phillips who doesn't live within our boundary its a decision they'll have to make by December of their 8th grade year. I know that's not good enough for most of you but recognize that as a neighborhood school, we're just fighting for survival and this new rule will cripple us irrespective of football. I could see a future for Phillips that has us with 2A enrollment and playing 6-8A football. Bronzeville is gentrifying and residents that would have otherwise sent their kids to us are being replaced by people who would opt for Private School education.

where is there a lack of respect for the program, they have no bad history in recent memory? I do agree that tweeting is ridiculous for both coaches, a head coach publicly arguing with an assistant from the same conference!! Phillips coach is sounding like this is his swan song or something, if anything people may have a lack of respect for him, nobody should know assistants name, lol. Solorio coach sound like sour grapes, that 14-9 must've been a turnover fest, because Solorio got destroyed in state playoffs, weird Chicago Bear style play calling
Lawson is no longer the HC of Solorio. He was replaced last season I believe, which may be the basis for his anger. I do however agree with you that coaches should be more professional and not be cyber-beefing. It kills your credibility with your players.

The first contest between Solorio and Phillips was indeed a turnover fest. There is an interview somewhere online after the second game where a few players admitted to not being focused for the first game and taking Solorio lightly. I believe Phillips had 6 turnovers that game.

How exactly? We requested a modifier... So please explain to me how the existence of our team isn't above board?

You mean other than breaking endless IHSA rules by how you get kids into the building?? Or about the pathetic academic standards of the school?

Last edited:
He mistakingly believes that our kids are academically insufficient to share the field with the kids from other schools. He would cite our overall academic achievement at the school with leaves room for improvement but is improving year after year. Additionally, he does not realize that our football players are leading the school academically. Last years valedictorian was our Center.

And every kid on your team is classified as a chronic truant??? Very impressive

The school I am at, a kid is in eligible if he reaches the chronic truant stage...

It's amazing where priorities really are in this game we call life. But, I guess with folk like bbchshhsjon being around, this will continue.

I still want to know from Newt how playoff classification affects opportunities for these young men.

And every kid on your team is classified as a chronic truant??? Very impressive

The school I am at, a kid is in eligible if he reaches the chronic truant stage...

Where are you getting this information? Because apparently, I'm hallucinating when I'm in the classroom teaching these players.

Where are you getting this information? Because apparently, I'm hallucinating when I'm in the classroom teaching these players.
The key is to not engage him at all. His NPD won't allow him to stay away and he'll continue to argue.

With him, always remember this:

"Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Seriously, have a great day and rest of the weekend. It's just not worth with him :)

The key is to not engage him at all. His NPD won't allow him to stay away and he'll continue to argue.

With him, always remember this:

"Never argue with a fool. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Seriously, have a great day and rest of the weekend. It's just not worth with him :)

You're probably right, but there is just so much misinformation being slung around on this thread its hard to let it sit unchallenged.

You're probably right, but there is just so much misinformation being slung around on this thread its hard to let it sit unchallenged.

What you have to realize is that most of the individuals talking negative aren't interested in the truth. What's important is how you and your kids navigate and be as successful as possible.

Reactions: CPSFan
Coach H. Total respect for what has happened at Phillips. Keep winning and good luck this weekend. Your boys showed class in both defeat and victory when you played Carmel Catholic.

What gets me is how some of these haters don't think for some players that the school and football field are one of the few safe outlets they have going for them. Jamal Brown was a perfect example of how Phillips and football helped him

ISBE report card says 100% of the Phillips students are chronic truants... so my non-CPS math tells me that 100% of the Phillips players are chronic truants.... see how that works?

ISBE report card says 100% of the Phillips students are chronic truants... so my non-CPS math tells me that 100% of the Phillips players are chronic truants.... see how that works?

The measurement of that metric isn't as strait forward as you think. Did you notice the 80% attendance rate right next to it? You take that to mean that our kids aren't in class at all. And I can personally, without bias assure you that our football players have a 95% plus attendance rate. Most of that truancy metric is hard to measure due to the fact that we have so many transient kids coming in an out of our schools through situations relating to homelessness.

I personally know of more than one student who has a 100% attendance rate... So, there is no way this metric is representative of our entire student body, much less our football team.

Don't believe me? When is the last time a coach has built a program of lasting significance letting his players not attend school? Go talk to Troy yourself.. See if you think he's the sort of guy who'd preside over such foolishness.

Coach H. Good luck to the team, I hope the progam nets a few titles for the CPS.

But WADR you don't belong on the board. No coaches should be here bickering with opposing fans.

Reactions: Bowie50
I personally know of more than one student who has a 100% attendance rate... So, there is no way this metric is representative of our entire student body, much less our football team.

Don't believe me? When is the last time a coach has built a program of lasting significance letting his players not attend school? Go talk to Troy yourself.. See if you think he's the sort of guy who'd preside over such foolishness.

Well I am sure the state is lying then...

How many? Which players? I know you can name one... But you're going to have to stand on conjecture for the rest of your argument... won't stick otherwise.

You guys have more football transfers each year than a normal 4A school has in 20 years.. considering Philips is one of the worst schools in the nation, its clear why they are transferring there..

Last spring I was talking to one of the ISU coaches, he said they are very reluctant to recruit kids from Phillips because of academic reasons, so many times they see the kids are A/B students, yet they are nowhere near college ready for even ISU..

I see a bunch of Phillips kids getting D1 offers, what percentage will earn a degree???

You guys have more football transfers each year than a normal 4A school has in 20 years.. considering Philips is one of the worst schools in the nation, its clear why they are transferring there..

Last spring I was talking to one of the ISU coaches, he said they are very reluctant to recruit kids from Phillips because of academic reasons, so many times they see the kids are A/B students, yet they are nowhere near college ready for even ISU..

I see a bunch of Phillips kids getting D1 offers, what percentage will earn a degree???

What white provledge piece of crap trump elitist are you? Pick up the trib and read David Haughs column about them today.

Until you’ve walked those streets where it’s a good day when you don’t get shot at, I suggest you take your no fact based arguments and piss off. It’s clear you have an agenda against them because your arguments come with mere conjecture rather than fact. Yet when someone challenges you all you say is well I talked to this guy or that -rumors and innuendo.

Clearly you have made up your mind that the only way a CPS school can compete is to cheat. Without formal facts showing this kid went there illegally or that kid shouldn’t be there.

I’d love to know the name of the ISU coach who says they don’t recruit Phillips kids. I would also ask him if they recruit kids from any other inner-city impoverished community in the country.

If Phillips goes 4-5 next year will we still hear your whines and complaints?

Curious when will the complaints start coming about Highland who took your program behind the Woodshed and a Roy Moore’d your program?

Reactions: Bowie50

So confused why you feel the need to keep going...Oh now I get it! They can’t be worth a shit because they come from the city...what a tool!

I still want to know what personal or social hardships have to do with playoff classification.
Also want to know what playoff classification has to do with opportunity for education and beyond.

So confused why you feel the need to keep going...Oh now I get it! They can’t be worth a shit because they come from the city...what a tool!

Yes, sorry for expecting these kids to be students and athletes... but hey, keep making excuses for them

What white provledge piece of crap trump elitist are you? Pick up the trib and read David Haughs column about them today.

Until you’ve walked those streets where it’s a good day when you don’t get shot at, I suggest you take your no fact based arguments and piss off. It’s clear you have an agenda against them because your arguments come with mere conjecture rather than fact. Yet when someone challenges you all you say is well I talked to this guy or that -rumors and innuendo.

Clearly you have made up your mind that the only way a CPS school can compete is to cheat. Without formal facts showing this kid went there illegally or that kid shouldn’t be there.

I’d love to know the name of the ISU coach who says they don’t recruit Phillips kids. I would also ask him if they recruit kids from any other inner-city impoverished community in the country.

If Phillips goes 4-5 next year will we still hear your whines and complaints?

Curious when will the complaints start coming about Highland who took your program behind the Woodshed and a Roy Moore’d your program?

My agenda against them?

I guess that's a fair statement.. It is a joke of a school that attracts the best talent in a city of 2.7 million people and beats up on schools from towns of 15K people...

On the surface they are doing some good things ... but is it fair to the rest of the state? Is it helping these kids long term?

Reactions: 14decoys
I thought you said the privates get all the best talent from a city of 2.7 million? You are just pathetic!

My agenda against them?

I guess that's a fair statement.. It is a joke of a school that attracts the best talent in a city of 2.7 million people and beats up on schools from towns of 15K people...

On the surface they are doing some good things ... but is it fair to the rest of the state? Is it helping these kids long term?

I thought you said the privates get all the best talent from a city of 2.7 million? You are just pathetic!

Only ones that are pathetic are those that cant see the huge edge a school like Phillips has... 2.7 million people to draw from with no boundary, and they play in 5A? that's whats pathetic, that the IHSA allows their garbage to go on..

Only ones that are pathetic are those that cant see the huge edge a school like Phillips has... 2.7 million people to draw from with no boundary, and they play in 5A? that's whats pathetic, that the IHSA allows their garbage to go on..

They voluntairlily went up two classes. I don’t think any top privates have been “forced” to go up any more than 2 (well Naz might next year).

If you want to be the best - beat the best.

My agenda against them?

Thats what I've been sayin all along. It is NOT allowed down state and we are racists (right Newt??)and hate kids because we don't agree with it. Funny how that works. On another site someone posted that they compared Phillips 2017 Senior roster to their 2016 Junior roster. 9 new names. I have no way to check that out but find it interesting if its true. maybe it is--maybe it isn't...but what is true is that Phillips is allowed to get players that other teams would NOT be allowed to get even if the kids wanted to go there. Good for them that they are helping kids succeed. But putting them in 8A wouldn't change that now would it???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT