ADVERTISEMENT

31 sacks real?

Oh I see, so now the goal is who can cheat the best right?? I agree that school lise in the playoffs even though they have the best team they have ever had. I have no problem with that as long as they lose to a team who is confined by the same rules as they are. Clearly, that ain't happening. 8 or 9 D1 kids on one 5A team?? When is the last time you saw that from a boundried public school?? everyone have a great holiday with your families, I'm out.

I think were more on the same page than you realize. I absolutely think Phillips needs some sort of a multiplier. They are not an ordinary public school. To bump them up to 8A though is silly. They have several 2 way starters unlike 8A. The sensible thing to do is the Private multiplier. The problem is if you do it for them then you have to do it for all the CPS "public" schools. You can't make an exception because Phillips is better at it than others. That's when the others schools will cry foul. IMO Phillips is a 5A or 6A type school. 3A would have had 5 halftime running clocks had they played at their 3A enrollment size. Yes IC would get steamrolled as well.

Reactions: USD24
Is there a limit to how many classes a team can petition up or is the decision on the IHSA? I mean, in theory could a 1A team petition up to 8A and IHSA has final say based on whatever factors they use to determine if it's ok or not?

The private school multiplier seems about right and 5A the correct class. Folks will adjust - and this is not a world-beater team. Should not NAZ and SHG be in 5A? (As should Rochester, for that matter.)

Those four would make a great semi-final weekend.

It just so happens 5A sucked this year so the Phillips Factor was more apparent.

Is there a limit to how many classes a team can petition up or is the decision on the IHSA? I mean, in theory could a 1A team petition up to 8A and IHSA has final say based on whatever factors they use to determine if it's ok or not?

All.... There is nothing in the language that suggests a "petition" to do that is against the rules. The IHSA could though deny that request. The only rules listed is it will be for two years and the application must be turned in for consideration by September 1st of the year. Ratsy

All.... There is nothing in the language that suggests a "petition" to do that is against the rules. The IHSA could though deny that request. The only rules listed is it will be for two years and the application must be turned in for consideration by September 1st of the year. Ratsy

So is Phillips tied to 5A next year or could they petition up to 6A if they wanted?

I just love the whiners this time of year. It’s not fair. I think we deserve a trophy because we play football the right way - wah wah wah. Gimme a break. You wanna do something about it, get better. Stop bitching and whining.

I guess in his world everyone should be 8A except for the teams he so chooses that “follow all the rules.”
Get better at it how Newt? Cheat? Recruit bigger faster guys? Yep we will get right on that. In the meantime you can go $&@$ yourself.

Any coach who feels CPS coaching is so easy, please by all means come on down. There are quite a few openings you can pick from. You will have several million people to chose from and winning is almost guaranteed because anything goes here in the wild wild windy city.

So a Canadian comes to town to make a life in America - you gotta take whatever is available. So he did, but as soon as he got some credibility, McAllister tried leaving ... however, since he could only coach 9th grade PE, he was stuck at Phillips, which had already named its D coach as Head (the now-deleted Tweeter). McAllister regained his Head Coach position.

Since then, with some success under his belt, Phillips became a destination and CPS can direct their best (who cares about brightest) to his squad.

Is there a draft thing going on these days - Raby goes first, Phillips second? How does that work?

I'd have to think that if someone knew he could be a part of the drafting process, another CPS school would be attractive.

Reactions: 14decoys
Get better at it how Newt? Cheat? Recruit bigger faster guys? Yep we will get right on that. In the meantime you can go $&@$ yourself.

Oh softy McSoft wants a trophy for good effort. Awe what a shame.

To bump them up to 8A though is silly. They have several 2 way starters unlike 8A.

I’m not so sure about that. I watched quite a few 8A teams this year and the majority had a couple of two way players. They may not have been in on every single snap - but something like 100percent of the time on one side and various percentages of the time on the other side. (Kinda like Main South did in the last 5-6 games of last year - but it started earlier and more frequently).

Probably a combination of reasons for that:
1 look at the success MS had with it
2 player numbers dropping and trying to get your best players out there as much as possible.

I’m not so sure about that. I watched quite a few 8A teams this year and the majority had a couple of two way players. They may not have been in on every single snap - but something like 100percent of the time on one side and various percentages of the time on the other side. (Kinda like Main South did in the last 5-6 games of last year - but it started earlier and more frequently).

Probably a combination of reasons for that:
1 look at the success MS had with it
2 player numbers dropping and trying to get your best players out there as much as possible.

Phillips has 4 or 5 that play almost every play though.

Yep, that's me ol softy mcsoft. Just curious though, how many of the players on Phillips would be at that school if there was no football program??
How many would be at some of the CCL Blue/ESCC etc of no football. You all are looking into this way too hard. The man re-built a program, attracted talent , petitioned up, doesn't duck and dodge. CPS Charter/AUSL rules are what they are. Other programs under this umbrella can do the same I believe but no success. They are probably a 5A-6A team anyway.

Yep, that's me ol softy mcsoft. Just curious though, how many of the players on Phillips would be at that school if there was no football program??

Does that matter? It is giving kids that in some cases wouldn’t have an opportunity for an education and potentially more.

Watch the story of ESL and 89 blocks this weekend. Or watch the story of Orr academy. You think either of those schools get whatever comes through the door?

Clearly they offend you in some sick and demented sort of way. So much hate for so little reason.

Reactions: LAguy
Does that matter? It is giving kids that in some cases wouldn’t have an opportunity for an education and potentially more.

Watch the story of ESL and 89 blocks this weekend. Or watch the story of Orr academy. You think either of those schools get whatever comes through the door?

Clearly they offend you in some sick and demented sort of way. So much hate for so little reason.
Yep that's me. Hateful sick and demented for thinking everyone should follow the same rules. You all have a great Thanksgiving.

Isn't that what Phillips is doing?? Rather than work hard, load up on the talent and play small school ball... wow, great accomplishment

Your argument would work if they didn’t move up two classes and chose to do so.

Isn't that what Phillips is doing?? Rather than work hard, load up on the talent and play small school ball... wow, great accomplishment

It's more like what Rochester is doing, and Althoff tried to do.

And here I was thinking we would go an entire state playoff without HHS complaining about Phillips.

Reactions: flyerforlife
It's more like what Rochester is doing, and Althoff tried to do.

And here I was thinking we would go an entire state playoff without HHS complaining about Phillips.

Rochester is drawing their kids from 2.8 million people? And how many of these Phillips kids would even be eligible at Rochester?

Rochester is drawing their kids from 2.8 million people? And how many of these Phillips kids would even be eligible at Rochester?

Tell me how many? Do you know for sure or is this another BS assumption with no factual data to back it up?

Why don’t you ask the same question about ESL or Simeon and Morgan Park for basketball? Or does your narrative only cover Phillips?

Tell me how many? Do you know for sure or is this another BS assumption with no factual data to back it up?

Why don’t you ask the same question about ESL or Simeon and Morgan Park for basketball? Or does your narrative only cover Phillips?

I didn't start the thread... but since you asked, at least ESL and Simeon are in big school classes

East st Louis played up just like Phillips did. If Phillips moved up to 6A it’s reasonable to assume they could win that class too.

They did open the season with a win over Loyola so why not play 8A

I think the obsession over Phillips on this forum has nothing to do with enrollment, modifiers or anything of the sort.

I was at the meeting where the jump to 5A was discussed. At no point did we weigh a potential fallout from the IHSA and preemptively request a modifier. The reason we moved up is simple: excellence is not farming titles in 3A, or 4A for that matter.

We played both Loyola Academy and Richards in our non-conference games... But somehow we aim low and play small school ball. We beat Loyola but (stop me if you've heard this one before) they've got an excuse too. Ya'll act like we scheduled the game after their players got busted for creating a human penis on their field. Thus, the "B team" excuse was born. Nice try, but that doesn't explain why they canceled their two year contract and refuse to play us next year.

The truth is that no matter the outcome, some will make excuses for what we achieve. Illinois football has no problem with a dynasty so long as it is MC, Rochester or the like.

But let Phillips go to the quarterfinals, loose a state title, win a state title, loose to Johnsburg and make it back to the State Title game and half of you want to change IHSA regulations.

A lot of this sounds like Jackie Robinson's deception in the Little League world series. I respect what the Coach from Phillips has done and also realize he didn't make the open boundary guidelines for his team. But in all fairness a lot of other kids are being shorted by the way this has played out so I blame the IHSA and CPS system for this travesty.

As an aside I had a grandson on the Las Vegas team that split their two little league games with JR and never got to play the tie breaker. He missed out on the the White House visit and other goodies, but I guess that is okay with some folks. It was a good story for the City of Chicago, or should I say the City of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. I know the Las Vegas team doesn't feel like they won any championship after they were denied their rightful place due to adults cheating, lying and other shenanigans.

I think the obsession over Phillips on this forum has nothing to do with enrollment, modifiers or anything of the sort.

I was at the meeting where the jump to 5A was discussed. At no point did we weigh a potential fallout from the IHSA and preemptively request a modifier. The reason we moved up is simple: excellence is not farming titles in 3A, or 4A for that matter.

We played both Loyola Academy and Richards in our non-conference games... But somehow we aim low and play small school ball. We beat Loyola but (stop me if you've heard this one before) they've got an excuse too. Ya'll act like we scheduled the game after their players got busted for creating a human penis on their field. Thus, the "B team" excuse was born. Nice try, but that doesn't explain why they canceled their two year contract and refuse to play us next year.

The truth is that no matter the outcome, some will make excuses for what we achieve. Illinois football has no problem with a dynasty so long as it is MC, Rochester or the like.

But let Phillips go to the quarterfinals, loose a state title, win a state title, loose to Johnsburg and make it back to the State Title game and half of you want to change IHSA regulations.

Thanks for the input coach. I guess since you played 6-8A teams in non-conference you need to be in the higher classes. Small town Illinois will always complain about big city athletics (yes they do make some good points, I hear both sides)

Cry me a river coach. The fact is that the players you have could NOT have transferred to teams like Lemont, sterling, Morris , Dunlap etc. it would not have been allowed. Yet it IS allowed for you. If you think that is an even playing field you are delusional.

Cry me a river coach. The fact is that the players you have could NOT have transferred to teams like Lemont, sterling, Morris , Dunlap etc. it would not have been allowed. Yet it IS allowed for you. If you think that is an even playing field you are delusional.

The great majority of our players are developed in our program. We had two players of any note transfer in this year. Get your facts straight.

Last edited:
The great majority of our players are developed in our program. We had two players of any note transfer in this year. Get your facts straight.
Coach, welcome to the board.
Don't waste your time trying to gain understanding or acceptance here. It's not going to happen. There are way too many people here who have no facts but a ton of opinions and wouldn't trade places with you if they could. Just get your team ready for Dunlap and win another title.

A lot of this sounds like Jackie Robinson's deception in the Little League world series. I respect what the Coach from Phillips has done and also realize he didn't make the open boundary guidelines for his team. But in all fairness a lot of other kids are being shorted by the way this has played out so I blame the IHSA and CPS system for this travesty.

As an aside I had a grandson on the Las Vegas team that split their two little league games with JR and never got to play the tie breaker. He missed out on the the White House visit and other goodies, but I guess that is okay with some folks. It was a good story for the City of Chicago, or should I say the City of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. I know the Las Vegas team doesn't feel like they won any championship after they were denied their rightful place due to adults cheating, lying and other shenanigans.

Wasn't Jackie Robinson caught almost immediately after the LLWS? Phillips has been successful and winning for years now. I guarantee you that if they were cheating someone would have caught them by now. Hell just looking at the number of edgy posters with a boatload of disdain for the Wildcats, I'm willing to wager my next paycheck that numerous emails/calls have been sent/made.

Twice coach, you allude to RACISM.

Don’t do that. Because it’s BS. I promise you, this board gets a chubby when ESL is at its Swagger best.

Phillips could get that same love if they competed in a class truly befitting where they draw enrollment.

Don’t be a dick a kill that goodwill for your young charges.

Twice coach, you allude to RACISM.

Don’t do that. Because it’s BS. I promise you, this board gets a chubby when ESL is at its Swagger best.

Phillips could get that same love if they competed in a class truly befitting where they draw enrollment.

Don’t be a dick a kill that goodwill for your young charges.

We petitioned up two classes. What more would you like to see happen? Ya'll act like Sterling, Lemont and more importantly Dunlap had/have no chance. Don't do that. It's disrespectful to those programs. Half of this forum acts like it was a running clock in the second half. Those were competitive games, like I am sure Dunlap will be.

Reactions: flyerforlife
If kids wanted to go to Lemont, Dunlap, etc they could go by moving!! Oh yea, like Sterling's star running back did, he came from Dixon. If those school had boundaries set similar to these CPS school you bet they would attract more kids. We've heard recent complaints about Bishop Mac, IC, Rochester, Aurora C all dominating small school classes...they move up when forced to, Phillips moved up willingLY...TWO CLASSES. Who's to say they won't move up to 6A after the mandatory 2 year stay in 5A? This appears to be a team that plays with about 20 players (of the 40 dressed) also (some play both ways). Let it go ya'll,there conference schedule is 4-5A schools mainly anyway.

I’m confused what this means...what are these Phillips kids? Are you referring to academics? Just trying gauge

I’m confused what this means...what are these Phillips kids? Are you referring to academics? Just trying gauge

He mistakingly believes that our kids are academically insufficient to share the field with the kids from other schools. He would cite our overall academic achievement at the school with leaves room for improvement but is improving year after year. Additionally, he does not realize that our football players are leading the school academically. Last years valedictorian was our Center.

They have the ability to draw from MILLIONS of people. Lemont, Sterling, which has 15,000 people, and Dunlap may have just had the best teams their town will ever see. They can't do what Phillips is doing. If you think that is right then I won't ever convince you. They cheat. They cheat other kids who play by the rules. But it's typical Chicago corruption. I used to be a fan of letting kids go to better schools in the city. Charter schools. It just didn't occur to me that adults would corrupt that too. It's Chicago, the cesspool by the lake. I should have known better. Rant over. Life goes on.

So, how is your worst indictment any different than what any private school has done for decades? They're legacies but we're cheaters... I'll be waiting for an explanation.

ADVERTISEMENT