ADVERTISEMENT

31 sacks real?

dcaudle68

Oct 13, 2011
IHSA team profile for Phillips shows Terrance Taylor has 31 sacks this year. I know he has a bunch but 31? Can this be accurate?

IHSA team profile for Phillips shows Terrance Taylor has 31 sacks this year. I know he has a bunch but 31? Can this be accurate?

Some stat people count anytime a Qb is tackled at or behind the line as a sack. Even if he had no intention of passing the ball. I have also seen stats posted in local papers that I know for a fact were made up because the school did not keep stats.

With 8 of the teams they played out of their 13 games, probably! I can see him racking up 4 or 5 sacks a game against some of those teams. I was checking some film on the former MC guy, he just goes straight to the QB 99% of the time. According to his Twitter page he claims he has 43 sacks! He's signed at Toledo. Fine school but the power conferences stayed away from him for a reason

With 8 of the teams they played out of their 13 games, probably! I can see him racking up 4 or 5 sacks a game against some of those teams. I was checking some film on the former MC guy, he just goes straight to the QB 99% of the time. According to his Twitter page he claims he has 43 sacks! He's signed at Toledo. Fine school but the power conferences stayed away from him for a reason
Do you take into account that he probably only played half of those 8 games? Total may have been higher. I did see him against Loyola and Richards as well as their last 2 state games. He is legit against all competition.

Senior Transfers into Phillips have become a staple, they are getting the best of the best in the city and that is why there is such a drop off in the CPS talent level.

Senior Transfers into Phillips have become a staple, they are getting the best of the best in the city and that is why there is such a drop off in the CPS talent level.
How long do you think the IHSA will allow that to happen?

Do you take into account that he probably only played half of those 8 games? Total may have been higher. I did see him against Loyola and Richards as well as their last 2 state games. He is legit against all competition.

But if it's accurate it's an all time Illinois High School record by a large margin and we hear nothing about it?

playing 5A schools with 8A talent... AUSL has full reign over Phillips, Solorio, and ORR. These schools make recruiting in the catholic schools seem non existent.

Reactions: Gene K.
Drop in talent has been addressed countless times.
1. Way too many high schools in Chicago
2. CPS killed their best feeder program several years ago, most of the best kids on the best teams came from that league, including DeLaSalle.
3. Poor coaching, kids know when you're an idiot with a whistle.
4. No administrative support, many principals do not care about football and it eats up too much of their budget.
5. Kids and parents just aren't as interested in football anymore.
I can go on and on...

Reactions: Anomalyout28
And Rochester claims they are afraid of them.

They are. They bypassed IC and Rochester and went to the class with no clear favorite. Granted they would have won 3A since IC went down for the season.

How long do you think the IHSA will allow that to happen?

IHSA lets CPS handle their transfers. It is why Morgan Park gets to hide in 3A in basketball even though they cherry pick kids throughout the state through AAU.

A lot of people think Phillips is a selective enrollment school. It’s not. It’s a neighborhood school. Bronzeville has to be the most talent rich area in Illinois. CPS rules on all transfers to their schools. IHSA has no say. That will change very soon. There are proposals up for vote this year to change that.

The IHSA is slimy - plain and simple. They target private schools for success, but nothing for programs - like Phillips - that are essentially open enrollment in one of the nation's largest cities. Phillips should be ashamed not to win 5A like Rochester does with that built-in advantage.

I also understand that Rochester is playing by the rules, but Saint Derek has no balls to petition up, so they likely add to their list of titles for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure not too many people thought Phillips was "Selected Enrollment" based on their academic scores. One of the worst in CPS. That says a lot. They are "Selected Enrollment" when it comes to football though.

How many state championships have Phillips won? Have many championships have Phillips participated in? What success should be recognized by the IHSA?

Drop in talent has been addressed countless times.
1. Way too many high schools in Chicago
2. CPS killed their best feeder program several years ago, most of the best kids on the best teams came from that league, including DeLaSalle.
3. Poor coaching, kids know when you're an idiot with a whistle.
4. No administrative support, many principals do not care about football and it eats up too much of their budget.
5. Kids and parents just aren't as interested in football anymore.
I can go on and on...

All of the above sounds accurate. You guys need to stop with the "playing 5A w/ 8A talent" arguments. Same was said last year and they LOST in the Semis. Phillips would have been in 3A this year, they had the cajones to move TWO classes, nobody else does that except maybe ESTL (rumors say they play in '18 btw). Why won't Rochester move up? IC Catholic (willingly)? McNamara? etc. Coaches do not have time to rake in athletes from other programs. Can't control who enrolls in your school and ruled eligible. In Chicago, regardless of sport, kids will navigate to successful programs, especially from private schools. Why pay for school and play whatever sport when I can play another successful program for free at a public school is the thinking that goes on. Same thing is happening statewide in big cities or with major programs.

All I know is that the system is being abused. Although the Phillips folks benefit there are others who don't get to play by the same rules that get cheated. Dunlap is about to become one of those teams. I do not fault the Phillips players. I fault the system. The CPS. The IHSA. The admins at Phillips that KNOW they are cheating yet do it anyway. The whole thing makes me sick.

A lot of people think Phillips is a selective enrollment school. It’s not. It’s a neighborhood school. Bronzeville has to be the most talent rich area in Illinois. CPS rules on all transfers to their schools. IHSA has no say. That will change very soon. There are proposals up for vote this year to change that.

Phillips is an AUSL school. Under AUSL they are an open enrollment school. As another poster mentioned Solario, Orr, Collins and Chicago Academy are also CPS schools run/managed by the organization.

All I know is that the system is being abused. Although the Phillips folks benefit there are others who don't get to play by the same rules that get cheated. Dunlap is about to become one of those teams. I do not fault the Phillips players. I fault the system. The CPS. The IHSA. The admins at Phillips that KNOW they are cheating yet do it anyway. The whole thing makes me sick.

So what do you want done to them? Put them in 8A because they draw from the entire city? If you just multiply them they are still 5A.

I tend to think of AUSL as a charter school system that operates within CPS.

Blame the system...

Phillips is an AUSL school. Under AUSL they are an open enrollment school. As another poster mentioned Solario, Orr, Collins and Chicago Academy are also CPS schools run/managed by the organization.

None of those schools are powerhouses since they play by the same rules...closest is Orr basketball. When teams win players from losing teams navigate that way. Plus Bronzeville has alot of talent I live just outside of there. Give wildcats credit, they petitioned up TWO classes....dont be surprised if they petition up to 6A after next year. Like Montini, ESTL, etc it appears Phillips ducks no one.

None of those schools are powerhouses since they play by the same rules...closest is Orr basketball. When teams win players from losing teams navigate that way. Plus Bronzeville has alot of talent I live just outside of there. Give wildcats credit, they petitioned up TWO classes....dont be surprised if they petition up to 6A after next year. Like Montini, ESTL, etc it appears Phillips ducks no one.

No argument there. If I'm not mistaken, Phillips called Loyola. At least that was the impression I got from Holecek when talks of that week one home and home series came about.

Reactions: CPSFan
I've been told by a parent that most of the frosh/soph and many of the juniors at Phillips played youth ball for the Jackson Park Raiders. As much as people want to make of the transfers as a factor in their success, I'd consider that the majority of the kids in the program have played together for years prior as a big reason why they're doing so well also. It seems like most of the consistently strong public schools in the Chicago area benefit from having great youth programs that feed into them.

Not saying they shouldn't be multiplied or opt to move up a few classes, just making the case that they must've done some things right too in building a program and not just "poached" kids from other schools. Using Taylor as an example, his family felt he needed out of his situation at MC for various reasons, people at Bolingbrook and Nazareth can attest that he looked into to both of those schools before visiting and eventually settling on Phillips. So, why Phillips is the question I'd ask?

Reactions: CPSFan
So you consider them worse than a private school?
They have the ability to draw from MILLIONS of people. Lemont, Sterling, which has 15,000 people, and Dunlap may have just had the best teams their town will ever see. They can't do what Phillips is doing. If you think that is right then I won't ever convince you. They cheat. They cheat other kids who play by the rules. But it's typical Chicago corruption. I used to be a fan of letting kids go to better schools in the city. Charter schools. It just didn't occur to me that adults would corrupt that too. It's Chicago, the cesspool by the lake. I should have known better. Rant over. Life goes on.

They have the ability to draw from MILLIONS of people. Lemont, Sterling, which has 15,000 people, and Dunlap may have just had the best teams their town will ever see. They can't do what Phillips is doing. If you think that is right then I won't ever convince you. They cheat. They cheat other kids who play by the rules. But it's typical Chicago corruption. I used to be a fan of letting kids go to better schools in the city. Charter schools. It just didn't occur to me that adults would corrupt that too. It's Chicago, the cesspool by the lake. I should have known better. Rant over. Life goes on.
Lemont has a playoff record of 30-17 and has been to 3 state finals according to IHSA. I dont think it has affected them as much as you try to make it out to be, and if you are silly enough to think that everyone else is playing by the rules but Phillips is cheating then yes you should most definitely know better.

Many schools have their once-in-a-lifetime teams get beat in the playoffs by better teams just like when Phillips lost to Rochester. At that time it was their best team ever.

Lemont has a playoff record of 30-17 and has been to 3 state finals according to IHSA. I dont think it has affected them as much as you try to make it out to be, and if you are silly enough to think that everyone else is playing by the rules but Phillips is cheating then yes you should most definitely know better.

Many schools have their once-in-a-lifetime teams get beat in the playoffs by better teams just like when Phillips lost to Rochester. At that time it was their best team ever.
Oh I see, so now the goal is who can cheat the best right?? I agree that school lise in the playoffs even though they have the best team they have ever had. I have no problem with that as long as they lose to a team who is confined by the same rules as they are. Clearly, that ain't happening. 8 or 9 D1 kids on one 5A team?? When is the last time you saw that from a boundried public school?? everyone have a great holiday with your families, I'm out.

I just love the whiners this time of year. It’s not fair. I think we deserve a trophy because we play football the right way - wah wah wah. Gimme a break. You wanna do something about it, get better. Stop bitching and whining.

I guess in his world everyone should be 8A except for the teams he so chooses that “follow all the rules.”

ADVERTISEMENT