ADVERTISEMENT

30 for 30 Homer Chase

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
I enjoyed greatly, especially hearing Jack Buck making calls.

The chase happened the summer my girls were born - will always remember it.

The ground crew guy who caught the ball - he was an Althoff kid at the time.

I hate to rain on your parade. I really do since your memories are positive. But those two guys were part of the three biggest frauds ever in baseball and Bonds is the third. They spent far too little time talking about that. I hope none of them go to the HOF. That is one thing Rick Morrissey and I agree on.

I hate to rain on your parade. I really do since your memories are positive. But those two guys were part of the three biggest frauds ever in baseball and Bonds is the third. They spent far too little time talking about that. I hope none of them go to the HOF. That is one thing Rick Morrissey and I agree on.
Are you saying Sammy’s enlarged cranium didn’t come from protein shakes?

Reactions: kkhawk
Mark, Sammy, other roiders and MLB itself ... remember, chicks dig the longball?

Selig, et al, knew what was going on. But they loved that baseball was back on top after the strike.
Come on man. They didn't "save the game." It wasn't going to go away. If anything, it hurt the integrity of the game. Hell yeah Selig knew what was going on. That guy is a huge POS. Sure attendance was up, but at what cost? I think all those records should be thrown out...and so did Frank Robinson.

There are a lot of people who didn't like or subscribe to that fraud. And I think that debacle was far worse than stealing signs. But, stealing signs electronically is pretty low too.

Here is the actual fallout from all that. It's hard to trust players anymore where PEDs are concerned. Guys are still testing positive even with so many masking agents out there.

And it's not just the steroid use. It's their attitudes about it. Like it's ok. You can't take their money away. But you can keep them out of the HOF and put an asterisk next to their numbers. Because their numbers are as fraudulent as they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Come on man. They didn't "save the game." It wasn't going to go away. If anything, it hurt the integrity of the game. Hell yeah Selig knew what was going on. That guy is a huge POS. Sure attendance was up, but at what cost? I think all those records should be thrown out...and so did Frank Robinson.

There are a lot of people who didn't like or subscribe to that fraud. And I think that debacle was far worse than stealing signs. But, stealing signs electronically is pretty low too.

Here is the actual fallout from all that. It's hard to trust players anymore where PEDs are concerned. Guys are still testing positive even with so many masking agents out there.

And it's not just the steroid use. It's their attitudes about it. Like it's ok. You can't take their money away. But you can keep them out of the HOF and put an asterisk next to their numbers. Because their numbers are as fraudulent as they are.
There were no rules against it at the time.They belong in the Hall, as does Pete Rose (Rose's offense is worse, I believe.)

The only damage I see being done is they skewed sacred numbers that allowed us to mathematically compare generations of ballplayers.

There were no rules against it at the time.They belong in the Hall, as does Pete Rose (Rose's offense is worse, I believe.)

The only damage I see being done is they skewed sacred numbers that allowed us to mathematically compare generations of ballplayers.

That's not true. They were added to MLB's banned substance list in 1991. In addition, they were an illegal drug and taking them was against the law.

That's not true. They were added to MLB's banned substance list in 1991. In addition, they were an illegal drug and taking them was against the law.
Not true that they were banned. It was suggested - never collectively bargained and agreed upon until later.

In 1991, Commissioner Fay Vincent sent a memo to all teams stating that steroid use was against the rules, though there was no official rule change. Vincent has said that the memo was intended as a "moral statement" to the players, rather than a "legal one", that "the only way a change could be made was through collective bargaining," and "When I left baseball, there was no written policy on drug activity in baseball."

Steroids were banned in MLB in 2005, HGH in 2011. Fay Vincent is on record of saying that he in no way banned steroids from MLB, but merely passed along the information that Congress considered the substances illegal without a prescription.

Not true that they were banned. It was suggested - never collectively bargained and agreed upon until later.

In 1991, Commissioner Fay Vincent sent a memo to all teams stating that steroid use was against the rules, though there was no official rule change. Vincent has said that the memo was intended as a "moral statement" to the players, rather than a "legal one", that "the only way a change could be made was through collective bargaining," and "When I left baseball, there was no written policy on drug activity in baseball."

Steroids were banned in MLB in 2005, HGH in 2011. Fay Vincent is on record of saying that he in no way banned steroids from MLB, but merely passed along the information that Congress considered the substances illegal without a prescription.

"The possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance by Major League players and personnel is strictly prohibited. Major League players or personnel involved in the possession, sale or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance are subject to discipline by the Commissioner and risk permanent expulsion from the game…

This prohibition applies to all illegal drugs and controlled substances, including steroids or prescription drugs for which the individual in possession of the drug does not have a prescription."

Memo from commissioners office in 1991.

Sounds like its against the rules to me. The problem was there was no enforcement.

They were still taking them illegally

Last edited:
Yet in depositions, Vincent stated those were not set rules. He could declare high-sock Sundays, but would not be a rule, as it was not collectively bargained.

Were there not doctors at Balco who gave prescriptions? MDs in the DR? PR? Or walking to an RX in MX?

All of those scenarios are legal.

Not saying it’s right, but what I could get a conviction on if I were prosecuting. Granted. Many may have gotten their juice from the gym, but many went other avenues.

ADVERTISEMENT