ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Illinois HS Baseball

Gene K.

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2016
Plainfield, Illinois
With all the high school spring sports being cancelled or postponed, I hope that Illinois HS baseball is will not be cancelled. 3a State Champion Montini would be bring back a ton of starters with a lot of talent especially in the pitching department. Montini would most likely be a major contender again, What are other posters thoughts on their HS teams and what they would bring back this season.

With all the high school spring sports being cancelled or postponed, I hope that Illinois HS baseball is will not be cancelled. 3a State Champion Montini would be bring back a ton of starters with a lot of talent especially in the pitching department. Montini would most likely be a major contender again, What are other posters thoughts on their HS teams and what they would bring back this season.
NJCAA cancelled baseball for the 2020 season today. I really feel that if school closures go past March 30th, that the season unfortunately would be washed. Hopefully this will not be the case.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think the season could start end of April and still go. You could push back the state tournament by 2-3 weeks and still get in 20-25 games which would be enough.

Warren is going to be very good so I have a personal interest.

As of today IHSA is still on board continuing after 4/8. Indiana schools cancelled to 5/1 and they are still committed to playing something after 5/1. Will be interesting to see if kids would want to play into June later and possibly conflict with travel baseball. I'm thinking many seniors would want to make it work somehow.

FYI Cooperstown cancelled all their huge 12u tournaments in NY for the summer already

As of today IHSA is still on board continuing after 4/8. Indiana schools cancelled to 5/1 and they are still committed to playing something after 5/1. Will be interesting to see if kids would want to play into June later and possibly conflict with travel baseball. I'm thinking many seniors would want to make it work somehow.

FYI Cooperstown cancelled all their huge 12u tournaments in NY for the summer already
I just don’t see 25-30 kids being able to congregate in a classroom any time soon. Especially given the fact that the E learning seems to be going so well. I wish I could be more optimistic about this, but I really believe the kids school year is essentially done.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr6b96

They really are giving hope (maybe false) to a lot of kids and coaches. Wish they would just make a decision on schools closure asap instead of stringing along.
I agree that this may very well be the IHSA giving false hope. All things being equal, these are all pretty predictable responses right now, not making any determinations about the spring season until their hands are forced. As far as I know, so far only Alabama and Virginia have come out and completely scrapped the entire spring season. Obviously everything is hinging on whether or not school will re-convene, which at this point is clearly up in the air.

Sorry, but for seniors that will never play competitive sports again and for some that have been playing baseball since they were 6, false hope is better than no hope at all.

As an umpire we have been told that if they get in school May 1, expect at least a week for games to begin. I honestly don't see this season happening. Really feel for the seniors. They will never get this back.

Totally agree about the seniors losing the final high school baseball season. IMO, this would have been the best team fielded by Montini, probably ever. They won 3A state championship last year with 3 starting pitchers who were juniors. They also have a ton of underclassmen talent hitting and fielding returning. Still hoping they can get the games in!

I just don’t see 25-30 kids being able to congregate in a classroom any time soon. Especially given the fact that the E learning seems to be going so well. I wish I could be more optimistic about this, but I really believe the kids school year is essentially done.
E learning is going well?? Are you a teacher or parent?

E learning is going well?? Are you a teacher or parent?
I posted that on March 24th. At the time it seemed like it was going smoothly in its infancy, and that it was going to be much more temporary than it is now. Perhaps a glance at the date something was posted might help give you some clarity.

I posted that on March 24th. At the time it seemed like it was going smoothly in its infancy, and that it was going to be much more temporary than it is now. Perhaps a glance at the date something was posted might help give you some clarity.
Sorry. I got bored of the nonsense on the football boards so I checked out the baseball board for the first time and didn’t realize it wasn’t current.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT