ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Success factors

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
Can someone please explain to me?

Will Hill or Montini get boosted up to 6A? Can IC or Naz get doubleboosted? Will anyone drop down?

Can someone please explain to me?

Will Hill or Montini get boosted up to 6A? Can IC or Naz get doubleboosted? Will anyone drop down?
I can tell you JCA will be 5A. In the last four years, the 2018 title appearance was their only one. I believe SHG is dropping down to 5A from 6A in 2019.

All.... And these two schools. ??? Ratsy

https://edgytim.forums.rivals.com/threads/the-question-but-again.16560/#post-184965

Montini has title appearances in two different classes over the four year period. I don't know if they get the bump. And of course the IHSA was getting input on changing the SF. That being a team had to WIN back to back titles to get factored up. I don't believe that went anywhere. And yes SHG will be in 5A next year. Ratsy

I can tell you JCA will be 5A. In the last four years, the 2018 title appearance was their only one. I believe SHG is dropping down to 5A from 6A in 2019.[/QUOTE

If you look at how the rule reads I believe Montini will be 7a next year. 2 trophies in which 1 in the last 2 years bumped up from the highest class trophy (6a) to 7a.

Godfather,

I texted Racki as the clock was winding to Zero and congratulated him. Then promptly said to him, now go give’em hell in 8A! His response was classic.

Let the IHSA continue to try jerrymandering the system. Sooner or later they might figure out that all these attempts to create public championship have backfired and done nothing more than artificially separate Privates from competition.

For those of you that want separation, ask yourselves if you want the Jersey playoffs where the only ones that really count are the private’s that play by zero rules. Go ahead and Drive all the talent to privates, all the myopic fans deserve what they get.

Reactions: Gene K.
Godfather,

I texted Racki as the clock was winding to Zero and congratulated him. Then promptly said to him, now go give’em hell in 8A! His response was classic.

Let the IHSA continue to try jerrymandering the system. Sooner or later they might figure out that all these attempts to create public championship have backfired and done nothing more than artificially separate Privates from competition.

For those of you that want separation, ask yourselves if you want the Jersey playoffs where the only ones that really count are the private’s that play by zero rules. Go ahead and Drive all the talent to privates, all the myopic fans deserve what they get.

Well either the schools can barely stay open due to tuition cost or have unlimited resources to steal whoever they want. Can not be both.

Reactions: Cross Bones
If you look at how the rule reads I believe Montini will be 7a next year. 2 trophies in which 1 in the last 2 years bumped up from the highest class trophy (6a) to 7a.
It was my understanding you have to trophy twice in the same class within 4 yrs prior to bumping up. I have bronco still in 5a next year.

It was my understanding you have to trophy twice in the same class within 4 yrs prior to bumping up. I have bronco still in 5a next year.
Btw. Not sure there is precedent for bronco. Who went up and then down...and now maybe up again? Wow. What a monopoly board game...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/01/02/the-jersey-game/amp

Next time before you open your mouth perhaps do a little research on, as example Jon Bosco, in New Jersey. They couldn’t afford to cut the grass let alone give out unlimited scholarships to Multistate kids before a young priest from Louisiana moved into the parish that loved football and had a vision. About the same time Jersey decided to separate the public’s and privates and the flood gates opened with school vouchers and then Shoe company contracts with endowments. Now the predominant place the talent flows to is the private’s. Be careful of what you wish for.

Well either the schools can barely stay open due to tuition cost or have unlimited resources to steal whoever they want. Can not be both.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/01/02/the-jersey-game/amp

Next time before you open your mouth perhaps do a little research on, as example Jon Bosco, in New Jersey. They couldn’t afford to cut the grass let alone give out unlimited scholarships to Multistate kids before a young priest from Louisiana moved into the parish that loved football and had a vision. About the same time Jersey decided to separate the public’s and privates and the flood gates opened with school vouchers and then Shoe company contracts with endowments. Now the predominant place the talent flows to is the private’s. Be careful of what you wish for.

This is not New Jersey.

I am sure 4 or 5 schools could find even more donors to pay the tuition for more kids than they do now for football. However in your group of 24, plus the metro league, there is only so much money to go around. Not to mention others would stay with the IHSA rather than compete with some other Catholic School. Look at how they had to go to 4 team divisions now just to make something work.

But I am sure if Naz and a couple of others with deep pockets wanted to, they could accomplish this.

Reactions: go dogz
Can you try reading the article...it’s not New Jersey, I get it...but if you take the gloves off, the rules go away in Illinois too. It’s not just football it’s hoops as well, while maybe they can’t convince Nike for a football contract they can get them for a basketball contract. Or perhaps McDonalds decides to fund the league for hoops so that they have a steady leadership for their annual national game for basketball. These contracts are large and can fund everyone. Additionally, since the IHSA would effectively boot a classification from competition, they could lobby a court that they were eliminated as a class and therefore could win a case for school vouchers equal to the cost of attendance at the resident rate to be applied to private school tuition. This was done in New Jersey where federal court has ruled on its class. Good luck, but again, be careful of what you wish for or you’ll be stuck going to watch Private schools play if you want to see quality games.

This is not New Jersey.

I am sure 4 or 5 schools could find even more donors to pay the tuition for more kids than they do now for football. However in your group of 24, plus the metro league, there is only so much money to go around. Not to mention others would stay with the IHSA rather than compete with some other Catholic School. Look at how they had to go to 4 team divisions now just to make something work.

But I am sure if Naz and a couple of others with deep pockets wanted to, they could accomplish this.

Smaller schools...Aurora Christian loses its multiplier waiver...

IC...2 straight 3A, now a 4A title in three years...should be bumped to 5A....

McNamara...15 3A title, 2 misses, 4A runner up...that's 2 title games in 4 years, should be a success factor bump...but there's a line in the rule that says that "one trophy in the highest class shall be disregarded, and the school will be moved up one class from the highest class of the remaining trophies." So, my theory is Mac goes to 5A with IC next year. There is an argument that the 4A title is tossed, with the bump from the 3A title...but who knows, the IHSA may change the rule again...Mac seems to be on the slow growth trend after years of shrinking...

This much is clear, however...by IC being bumped, Mac's enrollment up, Sterling Newman's enrollment down, 3A was basically wide open even as it followed form...

Success factor is now based on 2 years, not 4. IC and Mac will stay where they are for 2 years before going up another class. If they lose, they'll flip to where their normal multipliers place them. This year won't hurt or help as the rule was established in 2018 and applies to 2019.

Can you try reading the article...it’s not New Jersey, I get it...but if you take the gloves off, the rules go away in Illinois too. It’s not just football it’s hoops as well, while maybe they can’t convince Nike for a football contract they can get them for a basketball contract. Or perhaps McDonalds decides to fund the league for hoops so that they have a steady leadership for their annual national game for basketball. These contracts are large and can fund everyone. Additionally, since the IHSA would effectively boot a classification from competition, they could lobby a court that they were eliminated as a class and therefore could win a case for school vouchers equal to the cost of attendance at the resident rate to be applied to private school tuition. This was done in New Jersey where federal court has ruled on its class. Good luck, but again, be careful of what you wish for or you’ll be stuck going to watch Private schools play if you want to see quality games.

If this was viable it would have been done already.

MC140,

It has been done in NJ and it appears it’s at least starting in Maryland. I believe y’all in Illinois are pushing for it and it could be ripe to happen because of the pool of Catholic and private schools. The trigger would be the forced removal from a statewide playoff system. The state is already primed for school vouchers with it happening in neighboring states and all the charter schools in the city already. Keep pushing and you’ll find out how difficult this would make things for the publics to flourish.

If this was viable it would have been done already.

New Jersey has a much different make up of Catholic/private schools that mimic Illinois. Texas is a different beast all together where football is king and honestly Public schools dominate the landscape. It would fit the narrative you would like to sell here, but the New Jersey example is closer to the system that exists in IL.

Why not use Texas as your example @jwarigaku ?

New Jersey has a much different make up of Catholic/private schools that mimic Illinois. Texas is a different beast all together where football is king and honestly Public schools dominate the landscape. It would fit the narrative you would like to sell here, but the New Jersey example is closer to the system that exists in IL.
but publics have won 15 of 18 8A championships. Is that not closer to TX than NJ?

but publics have won 15 of 18 8A championships. Is that not closer to TX than NJ?

How many 8A private schools are there? Less than five?
I think the largest multiplied enrollment class for private schools is 5A. Some bump up with success factor (Naz, SHG, Boylan, Montini) but 5A seems to be the sweet spot for private schools.

I think the largest multiplied enrollment class for private schools is 5A. Some bump up with success factor (Naz, SHG, Boylan, Montini) but 5A seems to be the sweet spot for private schools.
Are you saying the 5A privates are better than Loyola, MC, Marist, NND, and Rice?

And of course it's a sweet spot, it's the 4th tier publics they're up against while they fancy themselves equal to the 8A publics/privates now.

Apples/oranges. Cannot compute based on different systems.
Jwar seems to be able to compute it IS like NJ though. I agree with you it's apples and oranges, I was just wondering why jwar chose NJ to make his analogy instead of TX. Obviously the question is rhetorical, I know the answer.

Jwar seems to be able to compute it IS like NJ though. I agree with you it's apples and oranges, I was just wondering why jwar chose NJ to make his analogy instead of TX. Obviously the question is rhetorical, I know the answer.

You really cannot compare either in current state. Texas is a bit of a different animal (along with FL and CA) when it comes to HS football. It could end up like TX, but more than likely would resemble NJ based on caliber and capability in state.

But I do see your point.

I hear people on here whining all the time about going back to 6 classes. If you didn’t success factor private’s I would guess about 90 percent or more would fall into 4a and 5a. So if those become de facto private classes and are dominated by private’s why do you care? You can have the other 6 for the most part and you have the 6 classes you dream of!

You really cannot compare either in current state. Texas is a bit of a different animal (along with FL and CA) when it comes to HS football. It could end up like TX, but more than likely would resemble NJ based on caliber and capability in state.

But I do see your point.

I’ve explained this many times on here... it would NOT end up like Texas where the revered programs are the public’s.... with the tradition of the private’s in Illinois it would be like New Jersey from the name/prestige standpoint anyway (can’t speak to shoe deals etc). I don’t think it’s even debatable.

I’ve explained this many times on here... it would NOT end up like Texas where the revered programs are the public’s.... with the tradition of the private’s in Illinois it would be like New Jersey from the name/prestige standpoint anyway (can’t speak to shoe deals etc). I don’t think it’s even debatable.
15 of 18 8A championships to the publics. Revere =/= actual information.

That’s because Loyola is the only private that may be a natural 8a team without multiplication. And which private always makes the 8a finals?

And I hope you never complain about too many private’s winning other classes if you’re going to keep touting this stat about 8a.

Reactions: Cat Box
Bones,

Your credibility continues to be in question with me and others after you lost a bet more than two years ago and refuse to pay the debt to a non profit entity. Additionally, you brought my son into the conversation earlier this year stating he would never sniff the field at Penn state, again you were wrong when a national photo appeared that was posted and you never acknowledged or apologized. I wasn’t addressing you in this thread but gave you the courtesy of a reasonable answer, but you continue to push...bugger off.

Are you saying the 5A privates are better than Loyola, MC, Marist, NND, and Rice?

And of course it's a sweet spot, it's the 4th tier publics they're up against while they fancy themselves equal to the 8A publics/privates now.
NO - I believe he is just saying that by pure enrollment numbers times the multiplier that the bulk of good private schools would end up around 5A.

We would be happy to have twice as many students and then be forced to 8A. But if you barely have enough enrollment to field a team then it becomes very hit or miss whether you'll have enough talent to compete in 8A / 7A without becoming a punching bag.

Reactions: Gene K. and Cat Box
That’s because Loyola is the only private that may be a natural 8a team without multiplication. And which private always makes the 8a finals?

And I hope you never complain about too many private’s winning other classes if you’re going to keep touting this stat about 8a.
15 of 18 is actual information. Now perhaps you are arguing that the privates in smaller classes are better than Loyola. If not, everything else you're saying is gibberish.

Bones,

Your credibility continues to be in question with me and others after you lost a bet more than two years ago and refuse to pay the debt to a non profit entity. Additionally, you brought my son into the conversation earlier this year stating he would never sniff the field at Penn state, again you were wrong when a national photo appeared that was posted and you never acknowledged or apologized. I wasn’t addressing you in this thread but gave you the courtesy of a reasonable answer, but you continue to push...bugger off.

Non-sequitur.

MC140,

It has been done in NJ and it appears it’s at least starting in Maryland. I believe y’all in Illinois are pushing for it and it could be ripe to happen because of the pool of Catholic and private schools. The trigger would be the forced removal from a statewide playoff system. The state is already primed for school vouchers with it happening in neighboring states and all the charter schools in the city already. Keep pushing and you’ll find out how difficult this would make things for the publics to flourish.

A lot of your post seem to assume that public school athletes are not happy with public schools and only attend because it is paid for through taxes.

As far as opening the flood gates in terms of no rules, I don't think much will change. Sure there will be some movement which is natural but, I don't think the landscape will change much.

A lot of your post seem to assume that public school athletes are not happy with public schools and only attend because it is paid for through taxes.

As far as opening the flood gates in terms of no rules, I don't think much will change. Sure there will be some movement which is natural but, I don't think the landscape will change much.
That's what he doesn't understand. Bunch of unsubstantiated assumptions.

Reactions: go dogz

Bones - all I am saying is, your statistic of privates only winning 3 out of 18 years in Class 8A is a silly stat because there are only four (4) private schools with out of 67 total schools with 8A enrollment.
  • Loyola
  • Marist
  • Br. Rice
  • Benet
Statistically, privates make up 6% of the 8A schools. Winning 3 of the last 18 years means they've won 16.7%.

Here is the link to the IHSA numeric enrollment by class...
http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivitie...ormationResults.aspx?url=/data/fb/enrolln.htm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT