ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Season

Yes, Rita will be 4A this year. Obviously, it was a big win over St. Laurence, but in a lot of cases, these teams end up splitting the series--something I will take considering SR was underrated this year. Would love to get that #1 seed, though.

I am just glad that Laurence is not in the BR-SR-MC-NAZ-LT regional/sectional this year. However, all teams should not be underestimated.
Below is sectional assignments. StL will need to get past JCA and vice versus. Assuming JCA doesn’t lose to Coal City again. Lemont is only other possible tough team.

Sub-Sectional A

#Coal City

Joliet (Catholic Academy)

Kankakee (Sr.)

LaSalle (L.-Peru)

Manteno

Morris

#Olympia Fields (Rich Central)

Ottawa (Twp.)

Park Forest (Rich East)

Richton Park (Rich South)

Sub-Sectional B

#Burbank (St. Laurence)

Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North)

Chicago (Agricultural Science)

Chicago (Morgan Park)

Country Club Hills (Hillcrest)

Dolton (Thornridge)

Evergreen Park

Lemont (H.S.)

Midlothian (Bremen)

#Oak Forest

Tinley Park (H.S.)

Below is sectional assignments. StL will need to get past JCA and vice versus. Assuming JCA doesn’t lose to Coal City again. Lemont is only other possible tough team.

Sub-Sectional A

#Coal City

Joliet (Catholic Academy)

Kankakee (Sr.)

LaSalle (L.-Peru)

Manteno

Morris

#Olympia Fields (Rich Central)

Ottawa (Twp.)

Park Forest (Rich East)

Richton Park (Rich South)

Sub-Sectional B

#Burbank (St. Laurence)

Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North)

Chicago (Agricultural Science)

Chicago (Morgan Park)

Country Club Hills (Hillcrest)

Dolton (Thornridge)

Evergreen Park

Lemont (H.S.)

Midlothian (Bremen)

#Oak Forest

Tinley Park (H.S.)

I would venture to guess the teams at Ottawa will be.

Coal City
JCA
St L.
Lemont

But don't count out TP, They have 1 really good pitcher and depending on how the seeds work out they could sneak in

Reactions: Gene K.
Two struggling teams face off today. Preseason #1 Marist vs #5 Providence. Now, PC out of top #25 and Marist sinking weekly. RedHawks destroyed by HF in last game. What is going on with these strong (on paper) teams?

Yes, Rita will be 4A this year. Obviously, it was a big win over St. Laurence, but in a lot of cases, these teams end up splitting the series--something I will take considering SR was underrated this year. Would love to get that #1 seed, though.

I am just glad that Laurence is not in the BR-SR-MC-NAZ-LT regional/sectional this year. However, all teams should not be underestimated.
You called it. STL won today 4-3. You should have gone on the Vegas trip and placed some bets. Two very good teams played today.

You called it. STL won today 4-3. You should have gone on the Vegas trip and placed some bets. Two very good teams played today.

"Two very good teams," that's the key phrase here. We all knew the Vikings were going to be dominant. Even after this loss, Cascia proved that she is a legit team this year. Rita has played some tough competition to this point and splitting with Larry and sweeping MC (down this year, but always a rival) are obviously very positive signs. Got to see how they fare against BR and PC.

"Two very good teams," that's the key phrase here. We all knew the Vikings were going to be dominant. Even after this loss, Cascia proved that she is a legit team this year. Rita has played some tough competition to this point and splitting with Larry and sweeping MC (down this year, but always a rival) are obviously very positive signs. Got to see how they fare against BR and PC.
Depends on if Providence is on the up or down part of their roller coaster season. Starting pitching is excellent, hitting still mediocre and relief pitching still struggling. Smitty went with his ace in 6th and 7th against Marist. What does that say about his bullpen? Hmmm

StRitaBaseball
The Mustangs (20-3, 5-2) travelled to Aurora and beat Marmion 11-0 in an early-morning Saturday CCL Blue game. Big Al Hoguin (4-0) threw a CG 1-hit shutout and Reed Ohlson (2-2, 2B, BB, 3RBIs) led the offense. #SRBaseball
10:54 AM · Apr 27, 2019 ·

20 wins before May 1st. Good for the kids. Smart move moving game time up two hours. Nasty out there now. Must be tough playing baseball in places like Arizona..... never get a day off.

Last edited:
StRitaBaseball
The Mustangs (20-3, 5-2) travelled to Aurora and beat Marmion 11-0 in an early-morning Saturday CCL Blue game. Big Al Hoguin (4-0) threw a CG 1-hit shutout and Reed Ohlson (2-2, 2B, BB, 3RBIs) led the offense. #SRBaseball
10:54 AM · Apr 27, 2019 ·

20 wins before May 1st. Good for the kids. Smart move moving game time up two hours. Nasty out there now. Must be tough playing baseball in places like Arizona..... never get a day off.
No pitch limits either...

I hear Providence enrollment keeps declining. I assume that means they will be in 3A soon.

Provi baseball going backwards. Now 13-14 on the year. Disappointing season. Let’s see how playoffs work out.

On the other side of campus, Pc Softball has quietly won 19 straight games! Now sitting at 23-3. Brutal 4A sectional staring them in the face with the likes of LWE, LWC and Lockport. If Provi stayed in 3A then they would have been a strong contender to bring home a championship. 4A is a whole different animal.

Best of luck to all baseball and softball teams in the up state tournament! Football is right around the corner!

Crusaders take down Larry 5-2 today. Funny stat, Larry as of today is still ranked #1 in area at least, yet is now in 3rd in CCL Blue.

@Tim_OBrien10
St Rita 8, Br Rice 5 final. Mustangs clinch at least share of the CCL Blue, program's first since '14. Down 5-2 B6, Rita scores 6 runs as 8 straight batters reach. Brendan Carrane scores go-ahead run on WP, Gavin Mottl 3 runs. Ohlson, Greer, Atkinson, Carrane RBI 1B each in 6th. 5:00 PM - 9 May 2019

IHSA announced the Sectional seeds. St. Rita will be the #1 seed in their 4A Sectional. Weather has not been the friend of high school baseball this spring. In between the puddles. St. Rita has put together a nice season so far. But still a lot baseball left with the conclusion of the CCL schedule and the Steven Bajenski Memorial Tournament to end the season before the playoffs start. Good luck to all.

Volleyball team (CCL champs) will be the #1 seed at the DeLaSalle Sectional. Water Polo team(#6) is the #1 seed at the Lyons Sectional. And I expect the St. Rita Lacrosse(#11) team will be the #2 seed at their Sectional to be held at St. Rita with Lyons High School (#3) to be the #1 seed.

I can’t picture Lacrosse being played in the 60's at St. Rita. Guys running around with sticks on the football field? Holy Cross Hospital would have had to put on extra staff. It would have made the 68 DNC convention look like a picnic in the park.

Last edited:
Congrats Mustangs. I think you guys need to beat us today at BR to win Blue outright, otherwise tie with Larry. I hope you guys win. I have a feeling we’ll be playing a 3rd time at 79th & Western for the sectional title & that’s gonna be the one that matters.

Congrats Mustangs. I think you guys need to beat us today at BR to win Blue outright, otherwise tie with Larry. I hope you guys win. I have a feeling we’ll be playing a 3rd time at 79th & Western for the sectional title & that’s gonna be the one that matters.

The anxious part for me is Rita having a wonderful season by playing some real good competition and earning a great record--plus a #1 seed. Then, the playoffs come around and trying to beat a rival MC or LT to get to BR-NAZ winner will be a very difficult thing to do, regardless of regular season. I wouldn't be surprised if BR wins the second game.

Reactions: tomloner
Congrats to BR on their win over STL. Was at the BR/SR game but missed the rally. Went in side at 6pm to watch the 1st set of the volleyball game, and then went to the football field to watch SR beat Fenwick 6-5 in Lacrosse. I went to a number of baseball games at BR when Johnie McCarthy was coaching. I went to college with both of his parents. I also went to college with both of the parents of SR head volleyball coach Brian Hagen. So today was sort of a trifecta day for me. Getting a little long in the tooth when my friends kids are the head coaches.

As far as the playoffs go hard to beat good teams multiple times in same season. I like the underdog roll most of the time. In the playoffs you could have 8 all-stars in the field but if you run into a hot pitcher and the season is over so I enjoy the CCL Blue games. Good luck in the playoffs except if you play SR.

The Mustangs 26-4 traveled to BR for a big CCL win 10-8 to win the Chicago Catholic League Blue division title. Al Holguin (4-1) earned the win and Chris McDevitt and Bobby Atkinson had big days at the plate. Before the season St. Rita was on no ones list of ranked teams so this is a pleasant surprise.

I do not look forward to seeing BR in the playoffs they are good team who will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. But I did like the idea of playing up in 4A.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...all-st-rita-brother-rice-st-051219-story.html

Last edited:
The Mustangs 26-4 traveled to BR for a big CCL win 10-8 to win the Chicago Catholic League Blue division title. Al Holguin (4-1) earned the win and Chris McDevitt and Bobby Atkinson had big days at the plate. Before the season St. Rita was on no ones list of ranked teams so this is a pleasant surprise.

I do not look forward to seeing BR in the playoffs they are good team who will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. But I did like the idea of playing up in 4A.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...all-st-rita-brother-rice-st-051219-story.html

McDevitt is a jr. Holguin and Atkinson are sophs

McDevitt is a jr. Holguin and Atkinson are sophs
That's good news for the future. MLB scout flew 3hrs. each way to watch Jalen Greer take 10 minutes of batting practice this last week. Will be watching the draft to see what round he goes in.

Freshman Jack Lausch with a nice outing for Rice as they beat CoM 5-2. 6 innings, 2 runs, 6 ks.

Provi baseball going backwards. Now 13-14 on the year. Disappointing season. Let’s see how playoffs work out.

On the other side of campus, Pc Softball has quietly won 19 straight games! Now sitting at 23-3. Brutal 4A sectional staring them in the face with the likes of LWE, LWC and Lockport. If Provi stayed in 3A then they would have been a strong contender to bring home a championship. 4A is a whole different animal.

Best of luck to all baseball and softball teams in the up state tournament! Football is right around the corner!

I'm surprised at that PC baseball record. They might do better in the playoffs. My nephew plays for PC baseball sophs. I hear they struggled this season too and were better last year, although freshman ball really doesn't indicate much. I think it's hard for them to get the good players now when the local public school teams might be better and they spend more time with their travel teams anyway.

I'm surprised at that PC baseball record. They might do better in the playoffs. My nephew plays for PC baseball sophs. I hear they struggled this season too and were better last year, although freshman ball really doesn't indicate much. I think it's hard for them to get the good players now when the local public school teams might be better and they spend more time with their travel teams anyway.
Bottom line, high school baseball isn’t nearly as important asthe showcase stuff these kids do with their “elite” travel teams in the summer. Additionally, I would not be one bit surprised, if eventually high school summer ball goes by the wayside altogether. Obviously the summer is the optimum time for college coaches to get a look at these players at various tournaments.

In a few short years summer high school will be a thing of the past. Every year more and more team are dropping out of it. Coaches are getting tired of fighting with the travel teams for players.

A kid pitches all weekend and he is now lost to pitch on his high school team.

ADVERTISEMENT