ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Season

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
Surprised Marist got the nod for the National Tourney in NC. Thought for sure it would be Laurence or JC.

Did Marist even win their Regional last year? This is a big jump people are expecting from them. I know they have a shortstop, what else am I missing?

Their head coach being a former MLBer who also happens to run one the biggest and most respected travel organizations in the area (with many college and scout contacts) may have to do with it too.

Did Marist even win their Regional last year? This is a big jump people are expecting from them. I know they have a shortstop, what else am I missing?
Here are some of their players and PBR class rankings:

Seniors
3 Jason Hodges OF Arkansas
6 Kendall Ewell OF Eastern Kentucky
13 Jack Brannigan OF/P Notre Dame
60 Justin Janas IB/P Illinois
66 Max Malley C Evansville
Juniors
32 Dane Thomas OF Wright St.
Sophs.
2 Noah Smith SS Louisville

Marist lost to a very good (and hot at the time) Sandburg team in the Lockport Sectional. Sandburg eventually losing to 4A champ Plainfield North. Marist historically has to get through some tough teams in the regional and sectional. Lockport, Providence, Sandburg, Andrew, and last year LWE was tough. Of course nothing compares to the crazy St Laurence sectional, ouch

Reactions: Gene K.
Here are some of their players and PBR class rankings:

Seniors
3 Jason Hodges OF Arkansas
6 Kendall Ewell OF Eastern Kentucky
13 Jack Brannigan OF/P Notre Dame
60 Justin Janas IB/P Illinois
66 Max Malley C Evansville
Juniors
32 Dane Thomas OF Wright St.
Sophs.
2 Noah Smith SS Louisville
PBR... lol. Stands for Pay to Be Ranked.

Lol... not so much. For the vast majority of kids that go through this process, it’s nothing more than a money grab.
I hear ya. I do think they do a decent job with the team rankings, though. You can get some decent info on teams from all over the state.

Surprised Marist got the nod for the National Tourney in NC. Thought for sure it would be Laurence or JC.

I believe St. Laurence already had committed to another Tourney which would have put them over the max allowed games had they gone to the national.

Inaugural All Catholic Classic 2019 Las Vegas

Bracket #1
1) Bishop Gorman (NV)
2) St. Louis (HI)
3) Juan Diego (UT)
4) St. Rita (Illinois)

Bracket #2
1) De La Salle (CA)
2) Don Bosco (NJ)
3) St. Laurence (Illinois)
4) Marian Catholic (Illinois)

Who’s left? JC, PC, Marist,Stl, PN? I am sure there are a couple of Central and Southern Illinois teams as well.

My guess as to the top 6....in no particular order:

Rice
Marist
St. Laurence
JCA
Plainfield North
Provi

Reactions: USD24
Im gonna guess the top 5 schools in pre-season rankings are going all be private schools (3 CCL and 2 ESCC)
5. Providence
1-4, JC, BR, Marist and Stl in some order.

Last edited:
Im gonna guess the top 5 schools in pre-season rankings are going all be private schools (3 CCL and 2 ESCC)
5. Providence
1-4, JC, BR, Marist and Stl in some order.
A combined CCL/ESCC conference (like football) would be one tough baseball conference.

The Hodges kid from Marist is a big time player. In my opinion, the top 4 teams are interchangeable.

The Hodges kid from Marist is a big time player. In my opinion, the top 4 teams are interchangeable.
Didn't know St. Laurence was now 3A. They are clearly one of the favorites in that class.

I'm told Laurence took the option to be 3A
If true then I have mixed feelings. They are a 4A caliber team so why play at 3A? The answer - avoid their own brutal sectional! If they are 3A then they side-step BR, MC and SR in the playoffs. Smart or cowardly? If they are 3A then they, and JCA, are clear favorites in this class. Again, mixed feelings on this one. Before I get asked, what if PC was in this position? What would we do? Not sure what Smitty would do but I would think long and hard about it.

A move to 3A potentially has a lose-lose situation for them. If they end up winning it all, you know many people will criticize them for playing down to a "lesser" field. And if they don't win it all, then you know the critics will be all over that too with the amount of talent on the roster.

Just don't know how I feel about that decision. I see both sides for sure.

I guess I find it odd that the program has been built up, they go to AZ every year, are playing in the National Tourney in NV then opt to play down in 3A. Just kind of bizarre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT