ADVERTISEMENT

Who Was Your Best Team to Not Win Title?

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
For MC, I will say '92. Preseason #1 Had McNabb, Matt Cushing at TE, some key people back from 4 peat team in '91. Regular season gave JC only loss 27-6, Rita only loss 27-0, won at 1 loss Richards and Joe Montgomery 33-8. Just could not get it done and lost in semi at a revamped JC 13-11. Even had they won would had to beat 13-0 WWS in title-who beat eventual 6A champ NN 30-6. 5A better then 6A a stretch back then for a bit.

*86 as well I just never saw them in person I know half the team was out for title with the chicken pox

01' 02' and 07' CoM lost Richards in semi's, lost to MC in qtrs after beating them in the season and finally lost to LZ in semi's in 07'. 2010 might be another as they were loaded but got stopped by Rita 21-0 in the qtrs. Rita then went up to LZ and lost 21-0 in semi's. Just was talking about this last night with my son. Early to mid 2000's were a heck of a run for the corsair but every time they lost it was against a D that knew how to shut down the option and they could never adjust out of the of the run game.

I was at both the 01 and 02 games. 02 was best game, chess match I have ever been at. 01 was wild with the fog couldn't see

2010 Simeon
1993 - Brook
1995 - Brook
1996 - Brook
2001 - Brook
2005 - Brook
2009 - Brook
2012 - Brook (that offense when healthy was something else; D not so much)

I'd say for Morris it would be either 1989 (lost to Richards in OT in the 4A title), the 1992 team (but lost to Marian Catholic in playoffs after a 1rst Q lead of 22-0) and the 2004 Redskins (lost to JCA in the 5A title). All of them very strong at every position and dominant-type teams with size, speed and skills.

In recent years, I'd say 2010 for JC. They had beaten Montini, Provi and Marist in the regular season. Entered the postseason with one loss (by 3 to CoM). It was Josh Ferguson's Sr. year. Had the all D-1 backfield with Malin Jones and Isaac. Also, had the Tucker brothers at QB and DB...Alex Kolo-j at TE....a great trio of LB's (Haney, Mettille and Elliot)....but lost in a stunning upset to Peoria Richwoods in the quarters in the infamous fake punt game.

Reactions: USD24
In recent years, I'd say 2010 for JC. They had beaten Montini, Provi and Marist in the regular season. Entered the postseason with one loss (by 3 to CoM). It was Josh Ferguson's Sr. year. Had the all D-1 backfield with Malin Jones and Isaac. Also, had the Tucker brothers at QB and DB...Alex Kolo-j at TE....a great trio of LB's (Haney, Mettille and Elliot)....but lost in a stunning upset to Peoria Richwoods in the quarters in the infamous fake punt game.
pj - said the exact same thing to dean via text today

All.... This is an easy one for me. 1995, SHG vs New Lenox Providence in the championship game. Of course going into this match the Chicago media say this will be a laugher, some even write the Celtics will running clock the Cyclones. SHG outplays NLP and leads 17-7 with just a bit over two minutes left in the game with a fresh set of downs. I 'm going to be careful here and not say anything more other than the Celtics win 22-17 in regulation. NLP ended up that year being ranked #10 in the nation. Ratsy

2010 Simeon
1993 - Brook
1995 - Brook
1996 - Brook
2001 - Brook
2005 - Brook
2009 - Brook
2012 - Brook (that offense when healthy was something else; D not so much)

I heard every offensive player on that 2012 team got hurt a some point in the season including Bailey, Stover, Huff, Piekarski, and Howard

All.... This is an easy one for me. 1995, SHG vs New Lenox Providence in the championship game. Of course going into this match the Chicago media say this will be a laugher, some even write the Celtics will running clock the Cyclones. SHG outplays NLP and leads 17-7 with just a bit over two minutes left in the game with a fresh set of downs. I 'm going to be careful here and not say anything more other than the Celtics win 22-17 in regulation. NLP ended up that year being ranked #10 in the nation. Ratsy

rat - i think the north give SHG all kinds of props. I agree there is a tendency - and rightfully so - for those up here to have a northern bias, but i do not think it at all applies to SHG. Presently, people - rightly or wrongly think Flyer gets over billed...and i think people are being won over by ed'ville too.

I heard every offensive player on that 2012 team got hurt a some point in the season including Bailey, Stover, Huff, Piekarski, and Howard
The 2nd half of the season was basically played with a 2nd string backfield... until the NV game. But no one was healthy. and we still had a chance to win with 5 mins left... dropped TD pass while wide open.

Yeah but even when the 2nd backfield was in, they still did good. They hammered Lincoln Way Central, Lockport, and Sandburg. I always think that if everyone stayed healthy, they wouldve beaten Neuqua, then Waubonsie, then would've had a pretty close high scoring game with Mount Carmel, then would've beaten GBN for the title.

88 St. Rita. Undefeated until losing to undefeated and eventual state champ MC in the semis at old pat cronin field on 63rd street.

89 St. Rita might have been better. Ended MC's 22 game win streak and was undefeated before being upset by CVS in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

85 St. Rita. Very rarely will i give BR credit for being tough but they beat John Foley and SR in the semis at old pat cronin field after SR beat St. Laurence, who had one of the most talented teams in the history of the State.

Very disappointing that SR didn't win a state title in the 1980s

01' 02' and 07' CoM lost Richards in semi's, lost to MC in qtrs after beating them in the season and finally lost to LZ in semi's in 07'. 2010 might be another as they were loaded but got stopped by Rita 21-0 in the qtrs. Rita then went up to LZ and lost 21-0 in semi's. Just was talking about this last night with my son. Early to mid 2000's were a heck of a run for the corsair but every time they lost it was against a D that knew how to shut down the option and they could never adjust out of the of the run game.

I was at three out of those four games, my youngest son being on the team that lost to Richards. I think we outgained them 2 to 1 or close to it. The SR game the better team won. The LZ game IIRC, our QB was hobbled the 2nd half so the option was limited, and LZ went on to beat WWS for the championship. That game vs. MC was just a barnburner, a tossup, at least we won the championship the next year with mostly the same team.

The 2006-7 LWE team whose senior class had never lost a football game until they met Mount Carmel in the semi-finals

I also though 08 LWE team was excellent. With quads had that 2nd round loss but they were better then Hin C. In fact if we had DSR back then I have LWE very high. Again just so glad 1-32 now.

ADVERTISEMENT