ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Kuska calling out in this article?

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
"I think it's comical we can't get anybody (else) to play in the Blue," Kuska said. "I don't understand how one other team won't step up."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...l-catholic-league-st-0707-20150706-story.html

They really should go to 3 divisions of six. Go back to geography and break up the Blue if needed. Conferences with 5,5,4,4, is bad. Maybe 5,5,8, with the top two playing a crosss over would be ok.

"I think it's comical we can't get anybody (else) to play in the Blue," Kuska said. "I don't understand how one other team won't step up."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...l-catholic-league-st-0707-20150706-story.html

They really should go to 3 divisions of six. Go back to geography and break up the Blue if needed. Conferences with 5,5,4,4, is bad. Maybe 5,5,8, with the top two playing a crosss over would be ok.
Has to be Montini. I was saying the CCL should put them in the blue since the divisions are based on competition.

Convert the families in East St Louis.
They don't back down from a challenge.

If two teams a year are willing to travel south ESL will join the blue with no crossovers. That will be 3 trips a year for ESL and one trip a year for two teams out of the Blue. Sounds like fun to me. I wonder if ESL could become a private school?

Reactions: flyerforlife
If two teams a year are willing to travel south ESL will join the blue with no crossovers. That will be 3 trips a year for ESL and one trip a year for two teams out of the Blue. Sounds like fun to me. I wonder if ESL could become a private school?
They are East Saint Louis

Reactions: AMBofQUAN
Take a look at the schools in the Green. Montini has the lowest enrollment, by far. Why doesn't Fenwick suck it up? As many have noted, success in 5A doesn't necessarily equate up, and think of the disparity in enrollment. Montini would have 200 fewer male students than the next smallest school in the Blue. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I'm just wondering why all the pressure leads back to 16th Street in Lombard.

Take a look at the schools in the Green. Montini has the lowest enrollment, by far. Why doesn't Fenwick suck it up? As many have noted, success in 5A doesn't necessarily equate up, and think of the disparity in enrollment. Montini would have 200 fewer male students than the next smallest school in the Blue. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I'm just wondering why all the pressure leads back to 16th Street in Lombard.

agree mchs - don't believe this is bronco's lane or obligation. I'm not sure why people just can't let things be some time. Why can't montini just be the best team in their division?

agree mchs - don't believe this is bronco's lane or obligation. I'm not sure why people just can't let things be some time. Why can't montini just be the best team in their division?

Apparently all won't be well in the world until the Bronco are trampled and summarily dismissed as fakes.

I disagree. Back when the SICA was a conglomerate I hated being in the Gray and seeing all the good teams in the Blue. I felt like we belonged in the Blue with the larger schools instead.

IMO there's only so many times you can beat the same outmatched teams. It wasn't that it was unfair, it was about playing teams who would be competitive with us... And maybe even favored against us.

Plus the way the CCL is set up is based on competitiveness. I don't see who else could make the argument. Has nothing to do with being frauds, you play MS and ESL for crying out loud. I don't think you all would get grilled for picking up some easy non con games.

Apparently all won't be well in the world until the Bronco are trampled and summarily dismissed as fakes.

all the moving up, around, etc...it doesn't make any sense. Move a team up, if they win, have to move them up again. What this means is: A) if the team wins, they did so in a division (etc) they should not have been in; B) They did not win, so they are in the right division. As you can see, when you employ a "move up policy" based solely on past results, you can never win in the "right division." Good luck bronco.

Reactions: mchsalumni
all the moving up, around, etc...it doesn't make any sense. Move a team up, if they win, have to move them up again. What this means is: A) if the team wins, they did so in a division (etc) they should not have been in; B) They did not win, so they are in the right division. As you can see, when you employ a "move up policy" based solely on past results, you can never win in the "right division." Good luck bronco.

I get the moving up part, but now the Blue would have 3 8A teams, 2 7A teams and a 5A team. Seems a bit skewed, no? Then, for their efforts, and IF they qualify by getting to 5 wins, they are in 6A this year, 7A next for the playoffs.

The only real reason for this to be done is to give the detractors a soap box. The move to 6A and 7A next year is enough challenge. Sorry Bones.

They really should go to 3 divisions of six. Go back to geography and break up the Blue if needed. Conferences with 5,5,4,4, is bad. Maybe 5,5,8, with the top two playing a cross over would be ok.

Maybe SR should drop down to the Green? Kuska has proven he can't win titles with talent most other schools would give their eye teeth for a shot to have in their halls.

I could see 5,5,8 with 2 crossovers at the top. Makes more sense than 4 divisions and meaningless crossovers (Blue vs. White).

Rita DID win 7A in 06. Go Stangs!!!!

True, but they also missed with a number of high quality teams in other years. My thought is he should just focus on coaching and leave quotes to Frank, as should the other coaches in the CCL-B.

all they gotta do is bring back FE -DONT drop highest enrollment played and everything takes care of self ie JC Bronco in 6A where they should be based on who they play.

considering Montini got whooped last year by the weakest of the Blue's, I'd say they belong in the Green. Nudo is right, the Green appears to have a competitive line up with each other. Fenwick, Montini, Marmion and StFrancis will all post solid competition with each other.

I get the moving up part, but now the Blue would have 3 8A teams, 2 7A teams and a 5A team. Seems a bit skewed, no? Then, for their efforts, and IF they qualify by getting to 5 wins, they are in 6A this year, 7A next for the playoffs.

The only real reason for this to be done is to give the detractors a soap box. The move to 6A and 7A next year is enough challenge. Sorry Bones.

mchs - i know you are opposite sides of me on the moving up issues - did not mean to cast that shadow on you with a broad stroke. The Class move up, imo, is parallel to the suggestion that bronco should move up to the blue - simply because of past success. There are other, more compelling reasons, to re-arrange otherwise - not just to say oh, bronco is good, move them up...

Montini shared the Green division win last year so you can't even say they "ran away with it". they should move up as much as St Francis should.

mchs - i know you are opposite sides of me on the moving up issues - did not mean to cast that shadow on you with a broad stroke. The Class move up, imo, is parallel to the suggestion that bronco should move up to the blue - simply because of past success. There are other, more compelling reasons, to re-arrange otherwise - not just to say oh, bronco is good, move them up...

All good JChill. I'm more for the move up because it will help attract players who want to play at the higher level on the high school stage, thus improving Montini's position locally. If they are competitive in 6A and/or 7A, some of the fence riding kids might choose Montini over say, DGS or Bolingbrook who might otherwise have not considered the option.

And psspfan, I wouldn't judge capability on one game alone, particularly that game, but I think the grind of the CCL-B plus 6A or 7A playoff run (if they make it), would be a ton for a school with 350 boys, considering the conference schedule would be laden with schools with similar recruiting capabilities.

All good JChill. I'm more for the move up because it will help attract players who want to play at the higher level on the high school stage, thus improving Montini's position locally. If they are competitive in 6A and/or 7A, some of the fence riding kids might choose Montini over say, DGS or Bolingbrook who might otherwise have not considered the option.

And psspfan, I wouldn't judge capability on one game alone, particularly that game, but I think the grind of the CCL-B plus 6A or 7A playoff run (if they make it), would be a ton for a school with 350 boys, considering the conference schedule would be laden with schools with similar recruiting capabilities.
agree with you. you may know I am not a fan of the "move up til you die" mentality. keep changing the rules til you lose isn't something I am for.

agree with you. you may know I am not a fan of the "move up til you die" mentality. keep changing the rules til you lose isn't something I am for.

It definitely becomes that type of proposition. I do agree with football enrollment as a solution for some of the problems. If Montini were permanently put into 6A based on FE, I would see nothing wrong with that. But making a bunch of kids who haven't won anything play in 7A based on the happenings of years back seems reactionary and short-sighted.

It definitely becomes that type of proposition. I do agree with football enrollment as a solution for some of the problems. If Montini were permanently put into 6A based on FE, I would see nothing wrong with that. But making a bunch of kids who haven't won anything play in 7A based on the happenings of years back seems reactionary and short-sighted.
exactly. see FE is PRO-active, its representative of who u play THAT season. not RE-active ie Montini in 7A in 2016. FE back please

exactly. see FE is PRO-active, its representative of who u play THAT season. not RE-active ie Montini in 7A in 2016. FE back please

Why did it get pulled, and why has it not been reconsidered? It's been so long I can't remember.

Personally I think he was taking a shot at Fenwick. .

5-5-8 Makes the most logical sense with one crossover between top two divisions. You could can leave all non conference games to the first 4 weeks where it is much easier to match up with people.

Personally I think he was taking a shot at Fenwick. .

5-5-8 Makes the most logical sense with one crossover between top two divisions. You could can leave all non conference games to the first 4 weeks where it is much easier to match up with people.

It very well could have been Fenwick, as their enrollment, history, etc. fit the Blue.

I'm good with 2 crossovers with the top 2 divisions, but 3 non-con games might be tricky, no? Maybe some of the teams in the second tier could schedule against the White in week 3?

I find the below quote from Andy Bitto interesting. Not exactly sure what he means by the CCL wanted ESCC schools to "sacrifice a little too much".

"They want us to be them," Bitto said of the Catholic League. "They wanted us to sacrifice a little bit too much. ... From my perspective, it would be a hard sell at this point."

I find the below quote from Andy Bitto interesting. Not exactly sure what he means by the CCL wanted ESCC schools to "sacrifice a little too much".

"They want us to be them," Bitto said of the Catholic League. "They wanted us to sacrifice a little bit too much. ... From my perspective, it would be a hard sell at this point."

By Sacrifice he means play the Blue teams. Another reason you will never see all the Catholic schools leave the IHSA.

Last edited:
Reactions: illini14
It very well could have been Fenwick, as their enrollment, history, etc. fit the Blue.

I'm good with 2 crossovers with the top 2 divisions, but 3 non-con games might be tricky, no? Maybe some of the teams in the second tier could schedule against the White in week 3?

If you have 3 at the beginning it is not as bad to find teams to play. The later you go into the season, the less open weeks you see due to conference play.

You put the lowest division with non con weeks 1 and 2 and I'm sure some would schedule other CCL schools to fill out the schedule.

True, but they also missed with a number of high quality teams in other years. My thought is he should just focus on coaching and leave quotes to Frank, as should the other coaches in the CCL-B.

I honestly think he was referring to Friar or Meteor, not Bronco. There's a history with these two fine institutions. Coach Kuska doesn't real say much, so what's the big deal here anyways. Like you, he has a right to his opinion. Could not read the whole article, just basing this on MC140's quote.

I honestly think he was referring to Friar or Meteor, not Bronco. There's a history with these two fine institutions. Coach Kuska doesn't real say much, so what's the big deal here anyways. Like you, he has a right to his opinion. Could not read the whole article, just basing this on MC140's quote.

Could be, but if i were an alum, and I know plenty from Rita, I would hope he would have his head down working on producing, not giving quotes. Rockne he ain't.

Maybe SR should drop down to the Green? Kuska has proven he can't win titles with talent most other schools would give their eye teeth for a shot to have in their halls.

I could see 5,5,8 with 2 crossovers at the top. Makes more sense than 4 divisions and meaningless crossovers (Blue vs. White).

When Montini joined the ccl I remember Montini posters saying they wanted to join the blue, what happened

What would 3 divisions of 6 teams each look like if it went simply by geography? I would hate to see the CCL Blue broken up, but it seems like teams not wanting to join that division is what is holding up going to 3 divisions of 6 teams.

What would 3 divisions of 6 teams each look like if it went simply by geography? I would hate to see the CCL Blue broken up, but it seems like teams not wanting to join that division is what is holding up going to 3 divisions of 6 teams.

North, South, West

Wilmette (Loyola Academy)
Lake Forest Academy
Chicago (DePaul College Prep)
Chicago (St. Ignatius College Prep)
Chicago (Mt. Carmel)
Chicago (De La Salle)

New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
Kankakee (McNamara)
Chicago (Brother Rice)
Burbank (St. Laurence)
Chicago (Leo)
Chicago (St. Rita)

Aurora (Marmion Academy)
Aurora (A. Christian)
Oak Park (Fenwick)
Wheaton (St. Francis)
Lombard (Montini)
Westchester (St. Joseph)

Reactions: psspfan
When Montini joined the ccl I remember Montini posters saying they wanted to join the blue, what happened

I can't speak for others but I do not recall Montini posters saying they wanted to join the Blue. Myself I gave the opinion that we were a better fit in the ESCC.

I was also told Montini was considered for membership in the ESSC and was rejected. I don't know if that is true or not but it was told to me by an ESCC coach.

At the end of the day the Catholic League is working out for the SCC teams that joined and remained in the CCL.

North, South, West

Wilmette (Loyola Academy)
Lake Forest Academy
Chicago (DePaul College Prep)
Chicago (St. Ignatius College Prep)
Chicago (Mt. Carmel)
Chicago (De La Salle)

New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
Kankakee (McNamara)
Chicago (Brother Rice)
Burbank (St. Laurence)
Chicago (Leo)
Chicago (St. Rita)

Aurora (Marmion Academy)
Aurora (A. Christian)
Oak Park (Fenwick)
Wheaton (St. Francis)
Lombard (Montini)
Westchester (St. Joseph)

I agree with this. For me, having then two crossover games would be appropriate. Then schedule two non-CCL conference games.

Montini shared the Green division win last year so you can't even say they "ran away with it". they should move up as much as St Francis should.

ppssfan,

Montini already has to play in 6A this year and 7a next year because thye made the finals 6 times. I don't understand how you say SF should move up when they were in 6A last year. Its true that SF is slightly bigger than Montini, but SF doesn't have nearly the tradition Montini has.

SF was a total disaster for decades and we have a few good years and now we should play up even further? can you explain what you mean?

I agree with this. For me, having then two crossover games would be appropriate. Then schedule two non-CCL conference games.
MC & Loyola playing each other every year is a good thing. I don't know how older fans would feel about not playing Rice each season since the schools are close. If there was a way to work Rice and PC in for home and homes every few years and for MC to have SR as a yearly crossover.

MC & Loyola playing each other every year is a good thing. I don't know how older fans would feel about not playing Rice each season since the schools are close. If there was a way to work Rice and PC in for home and homes every few years and for MC to have SR as a yearly crossover.

I do like the geographic breakout of teams here, but somehow SR/MC should be in the same six-team conference. It's obvious these teams need to play every year, as you rightly point out. Here's an interesting idea, which, I believe, the ESCC has done and still may do: since the crossover games have a rotating schedule, MC should then schedule LA as one of their non-conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT