ADVERTISEMENT

the key game on your team's schedule.

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
For JCA, this one is simple to me.

The key game for the 2015 Hilltoppers is week 3, CoM, at home - thank god.

JCA's week 1 and 2 are as tough as they get in the state, opening at PC, then hosting WN. No matter the way those two games go, this CoM game will be a monster.

CoM is poised for a bounce back. And I am on record, as a bveliever that when CoM has a good TE, they are dangerous. This season, they may have the best TE in the state. No team benefits from a solid TE like CoM.

Best case: JCA is 2-0. If they win that CoM game, they should prove good enough to go 9-0.

Worst case: JCA is 0-2. Going 0-3 will mean tough sledding for the team with high expectations.

JCA's week 1 and 2 are as tough as they get in the state, opening at PC, then hosting WN. No matter the way those two games go, this CoM game will be a monster.

CoM is poised for a bounce back. And I am on record, as a bveliever that when CoM has a good TE, they are dangerous. This season, they may have the best TE in the state. No team benefits from a solid TE like CoM.

Best case: JCA is 2-0. If they win that CoM game, they should prove good enough to go 9-0.

Worst case: JCA is 0-2. Going 0-3 will mean tough sledding for the team with high expectations.

TE looked pretty pedestrian against Benet last year.

I know he is a highly recruited kid, and looks the part. Hopefully he just had a bad night, and ends up having a great senior campaign this year.

For Hinsdale South, IMO, the GBW game in week 2. For a team that has high expectations (at least from within), this game will tell a lot win or lose. Obviously, if we pull off the upset and win it will provide a signature win that can set the stage for a great year. If we lose, it depends on how. I we can play with GBW and have a respectable showing, this can still say some good things about South. However, if we don't show up and get run over, could dash confidence and suggest we may not be where we think we are.

This is a measuring stick game for south against one of the best teams in the state.

For Hinsdale South, IMO, the GBW game in week 2. For a team that has high expectations (at least from within), this game will tell a lot win or lose. Obviously, if we pull off the upset and win it will provide a signature win that can set the stage for a great year. If we lose, it depends on how. I we can play with GBW and have a respectable showing, this can still say some good things about South. However, if we don't show up and get run over, could dash confidence and suggest we may not be where we think we are.

This is a measuring stick game for south against one of the best teams in the state.

this game will be a huge measuring stick for the Dark Side Rankings.

for MC, would be nice to lose that week 9 game at LA. 3 times have had a 1 loss season and won a title with only loss to Rambler.

You make an excellent case for week 3 being the key game. I also expect CoM to be greatly improved. And if JC starts out 0-2, it's almost a must win at home.

It may be a "measuring stick" but that game really doesn't hold any significance. It's week 2, a Saturday game and against maybe the #1 team in the state that could be nationally ranked. It won't matter if HS loses by 7 or by 40, just get out of the game healthy because the next game they have is THE game....Hinsdale South vs Downers Grove South. That's the key game, if South can knock them off they should be good the rest of the way.

It may be a "measuring stick" but that game really doesn't hold any significance. It's week 2, a Saturday game and against maybe the #1 team in the state that could be nationally ranked. It won't matter if HS loses by 7 or by 40, just get out of the game healthy because the next game they have is THE game....Hinsdale South vs Downers Grove South. That's the key game, if South can knock them off they should be good the rest of the way.
Wild,

I gave the DGS game strong consideration. Big time rivalry game and conference foe who will no doubt challenge for conference. If winning conference were the main goal, then I would agree. However, South is looking to take a major step forward this year, and not just win conference but be well situated to make a deep run into the playoffs. Even if they beat everyone in their conference (which has not been that strong lately), that will not push them towards being one of the top teams in the state (which is what they believe they are). They need to be able to play with (and maybe beat) the GBWs and Hinsdale Centrals of the world to get where they wanna be. Nothing against DGS, as I am sure this HS - DGS game will be a battle as it always is. However, GBW will let South know if they can Stomp With the Big Dogs or not.

Reactions: Wild_Mustang
For Glenbard West, I think week 7, at OPRF, will be a critical game. OPRF has been an improved team in the past 2 seasons and I expect their fine coaching staff will keep the ship moving forward this season. They have faded badly in post season, but they have been ready for GW the last 2 years. So, in my mind, week 7. And of course week 14...lol.

For Glenbard West, I think week 7, at OPRF, will be a critical game. OPRF has been an improved team in the past 2 seasons and I expect their fine coaching staff will keep the ship moving forward this season. They have faded badly in post season, but they have been ready for GW the last 2 years. So, in my mind, week 7. And of course week 14...lol.
OPRF gave that game away two years ago.

For Batavia, tough to decide. First 3rd of season, the most important game is week 1 @ Oswego. Need to get off to a good start. Second third is St. Charles schools and Naperville Central. Naperville Central would be most important, week 6. Last third of season would be with rival Geneva, week 8.

For SFHS a key swing game is Marmion.
Unfortunatly for SF, the Cadets have had their number even when SF is the better team on paper.
And who knows, maybe they will play twice in the regular season.

Quite frankly I cant really say for MC , it is always Rita but that league opener at home v PC huge. So is first road game at Rice-who beat them last year. All 4 league games are kind of circled.

OPRF gave that game away two years ago.
Well, I was at that game and have a different perspective. I thought GW played slow and sloppy for half the game, but OPRF played inspired football. But GW took control in the 4th quarter and OPRF got outplayed. GW safety Hayden Carlson was a one man wrecking crew and simply crushed the OPRF offense. I thought GW took it away rather than OPRF giving it away. On the other hand, it was a game I'd not want to replay.

Well, I was at that game and have a different perspective. I thought GW played slow and sloppy for half the game, but OPRF played inspired football. But GW took control in the 4th quarter and OPRF got outplayed. GW safety Hayden Carlson was a one man wrecking crew and simply crushed the OPRF offense. I thought GW took it away rather than OPRF giving it away. On the other hand, it was a game I'd not want to replay.

I disagree wholeheartedly. OPRF basically moved the ball at will all game, but got conservative in the redzone. Plus countless big plays called back by the refs. Most of that game was one sided. GBW did what was needed at the end to win and OPRF had a shot late. But in no way did GBW outplay OPRF in that one. Reminded me of that one Rita/MC game, I think 2005, where MC marched up and down the field but lost 7-6.

2006,MC lost to SR 7-6. it happens, regular season in 2000 MC was outgained 3 to 1 by PC somehow pulled rabbit out of hat won in OT. When meeting in 5A title that year however w Aaaron Marshall at QB blew them out 38-12. Coulda been worse was 38-6 called dogs off.

Plano Reapers at Home vs. Yorkville Foxes in a non-conference matchup.....Plano limit mistakes early as a relatively young team last season on the Varsity Level lost to a good Yorkville team in Game 1. Come out strong and set the Tone early and continue through week 9 and beyond. Note: Dominate at the line! #REAPERNATION

Great thread. Can I have two games? SR is basically being picked 1 - 3 or 0 - 4 in the CCL Blue this upcoming year. Basing my games on this thought, I'd say Malvern Prep at Soldier Field and then Bronco in Lombard. They win these two games; they get in at 5 - 4 with a first round road game against either a 9 - 0 CPS school, an 8 - 1 WWS, an undefeated or one-loss Harlem of Machensey Park or Boylan, or LWE.

Great thread. Can I have two games? SR is basically being picked 1 - 3 or 0 - 4 in the CCL Blue this upcoming year. Basing my games on this thought, I'd say Malvern Prep at Soldier Field and then Bronco in Lombard. They win these two games; they get in at 5 - 4 with a first round road game against either a 9 - 0 CPS school, an 8 - 1 WWS, an undefeated or one-loss Harlem of Machensey Park or Boylan, or LWE.
Boylan is supposed to be way down. More likely to see Harlem or Rockton Hononegah, potentially Rockford Auburn as well.

I disagree wholeheartedly. OPRF basically moved the ball at will all game, but got conservative in the redzone. Plus countless big plays called back by the refs. Most of that game was one sided. GBW did what was needed at the end to win and OPRF had a shot late. But in no way did GBW outplay OPRF in that one. Reminded me of that one Rita/MC game, I think 2005, where MC marched up and down the field but lost 7-6.
We must have been watching different games...lol. but remember, marching up and down the field isn't the objective of the game. Crossing and defending the goal line are the objectives. And OPRF 's problem that season was their offense was easy to shut down on a short field. It wasn't that they got conservative in the red zone, it's that they had fewer options in the red zone, at least against a good defense.

TE looked pretty pedestrian against Benet last year.

I know he is a highly recruited kid, and looks the part. Hopefully he just had a bad night, and ends up having a great senior campaign this year.

Benet was probably his worse game of the year

CoM opens up with Waukesha West, Wisco runner up in Div 2 last yr. Week 2 Phillips and JCA week 3. Week 2 is key as week 1 is an unknown and week 3 at JCA odds are against CoM as they have never won at Memorial Stadium. Though last two trips down there in 2011 and 2012 were as close as they got to winning.

CoM opens up with Waukesha West, Wisco runner up in Div 2 last yr. Week 2 Phillips and JCA week 3. Week 2 is key as week 1 is an unknown and week 3 at JCA odds are against CoM as they have never won at Memorial Stadium. Though last two trips down there in 2011 and 2012 were as close as they got to winning.
2011 was the Ty Isaac catch...
tumblr_mxjl3zZTGe1skp6koo8_250.gif

Reactions: epicbret and USD24
Thanks for the scouting report. I think it's great that we can possibly have these matchups, thanks to 1 - 32 seeding.
Rockford Auburn has 4 Division 1 kids on the roster right now. Year 4 with Appino (Boylan's old coach), he's got that thing rolling now. Harlem has a DE going to Illinois and is supposed to be talented this year as usual, and Hononegah has a D1 QB and D1 DB. For sure more top end talent in the Rockford area this year, will be interesting to see how they fare in the playoffs though, especially with the 1-32 seeding.

Wild,

I gave the DGS game strong consideration. Big time rivalry game and conference foe who will no doubt challenge for conference. If winning conference were the main goal, then I would agree. However, South is looking to take a major step forward this year, and not just win conference but be well situated to make a deep run into the playoffs. Even if they beat everyone in their conference (which has not been that strong lately), that will not push them towards being one of the top teams in the state (which is what they believe they are). They need to be able to play with (and maybe beat) the GBWs and Hinsdale Centrals of the world to get where they wanna be. Nothing against DGS, as I am sure this HS - DGS game will be a battle as it always is. However, GBW will let South know if they can Stomp With the Big Dogs or not.

I can't disagree with anything you said. Here's my thing, it's one step at a time at a time for Hinsdale South. They haven't won conference, once they win conference then it's on to the big dogs of the world. You can't just jump right in the fight, you gotta take a few blows, lick your wounds and then get back in the fight. Which I feel they have done and I feel that they will win conference this year. I agree with you that they're gonna make some noise again this year, but the GBW has all the odd's pointing against them. It's a Saturday game, if you don't play on Saturday's regularly it's the biggest home field advantage in sports. I just don't think you can use that game as a measuring stick mainly because it's on a Saturday. Look at South last year on Saturday games...Hinsdale Central Loss 42-14 & St. Francis Loss 41-14...83-21 combined. Guarantee you if those games are on Fridays it's closer, I would bet money they beat St. Francis. HC stuck it to them good, they wouldn't have beat that team last year.

I can't disagree with anything you said. Here's my thing, it's one step at a time at a time for Hinsdale South. They haven't won conference, once they win conference then it's on to the big dogs of the world. You can't just jump right in the fight, you gotta take a few blows, lick your wounds and then get back in the fight. Which I feel they have done and I feel that they will win conference this year. I agree with you that they're gonna make some noise again this year, but the GBW has all the odd's pointing against them. It's a Saturday game, if you don't play on Saturday's regularly it's the biggest home field advantage in sports. I just don't think you can use that game as a measuring stick mainly because it's on a Saturday. Look at South last year on Saturday games...Hinsdale Central Loss 42-14 & St. Francis Loss 41-14...83-21 combined. Guarantee you if those games are on Fridays it's closer, I would bet money they beat St. Francis. HC stuck it to them good, they wouldn't have beat that team last year.

Wild,

Points taken. You are correct, the Saturday performances by South have been bad. that is where coaching comes in. Barry will need to figure out a way to avoid the pitfalls of the Saturday game.

As for going step by step, I agree. Except, the GBW game is in week 2, before any conference games. If they don't show well, it could derail their season. They took a few lumps last year with loses to SF and HC. With an elite 8 appearance last year and another year under the belt of this years senior class, this is an opportunity to take another step forward and find out where they really are.

After the GBW game, then I will agree with you 200%. The most important game of the year will be DGS

... I just don't think you can use that game as a measuring stick mainly because it's on a Saturday. Look at South last year on Saturday games...Hinsdale Central Loss 42-14 & St. Francis Loss 41-14...83-21 combined. Guarantee you if those games are on Fridays it's closer, I would bet money they beat St. Francis.

HUH?

Wait, what?

Are you saying you would have beaten SF last season, if only the game was on a Friday?

I've been posting here for over 15 years, that is a first.

SF was just a way better team.

It's a Saturday game, if you don't play on Saturday's regularly it's the biggest home field advantage in sports. I just don't think you can use that game as a measuring stick mainly because it's on a Saturday. Look at South last year on Saturday games...Hinsdale Central Loss 42-14 & St. Francis Loss 41-14...83-21 combined. Guarantee you if those games are on Fridays it's closer, I would bet money they beat St. Francis.

Wild,

You are kidding right? At the time I was thining HS would give SF trouble but after the second quarter and the half time score of 34-7 I don't think HS had a chance. If you are to say a Friday game would have made a difference you would need to take out the 2nd quarter completely. HS turnd over the ball several times and HS had no answer for thir pass game.

If HS had played 3 quarters the game would have been close, but they didn't play three quarters. They played 4. The final score was 41-14 and the half time score was 34-7. Are you really saying a game with the final of 41-14 would have been a win for HS if they played on a Friday?

Are you going to blame the weather?

My opinion of HS lastyear was that they have some real talent on defense and they had a really good quarterback who played great but HS in my opinion was a teama that was a year away last year. I think with HS defense they will do well this year and can make a run in the playoffs but NO WAY would a day make a difference in the final score.

I hope HS does well for your information. I met alot of great fans from HS and chatted with one.

If they won that hypothetical night game, they would have played another day game in La Grange Park the next week.. and we saw the fight SF put up..

giphy.gif

If they won that hypothetical night game, they would have played another day game in La Grange Park the next week.. and we saw the fight SF put up..

West,

If nothing else SF saved HS from getting beat 100-0. In the blink of a eye the score against Naz was 28-0. SF was destroyed by the Naz buzzsaw.

If Nazareth had been at full strenght against Lemont the next week they would have beat Lemont by at lest 2 more touchdowns.

ADVERTISEMENT